Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 I think I am suffering from depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I think I am suffering from depression Next Topic
Page: of 2

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  07:43:58 AM  Show Profile
I don't know what is going on with me.....I eat all the time,I sleep all the time (I do have a job,outside of the home,but want to sleep as soon as I get home) Iam spending too much money, and the worse part is I forged two cheques from my husbands cheque book. I need to tell him and I don'tknow how....I am so worried and going crazy I am not the happy go lucky person that I used to be...please my fellow farmgirls please "hug" me....thanks for "listening"

independent consultant with Epicure Selections www.epicureselections.com "Everyday gourmet simply by opening a jar!"

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  07:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Well, it does sound like something is going on. Have you ever heard of SAD? It's seasonal affetive disorder (or somethng like that) which means that during the cold winter months you tend to get depressed, and your mood usually lightens up in spring through fall. I realized that I had this because almost right after the fall time change I tend to get blue and down and don't feel like my normal self until spring. I, too, eat too much, want to sleep more, and just don't feel like doing much of anything. One thing that I suggest is reading about St. Johns Wort and how that can help depression. I think it's much better to take then a prescription drug. I've been taking it for several weeks now and notice a difference. It's not a big, "everything is happy and fine" difference but it's enough to make me wake up in a better mood and have a better outlook on life. Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  08:01:21 AM  Show Profile
thanks I will definatley try the St johns wort

independent consultant with Epicure Selections www.epicureselections.com "Everyday gourmet simply by opening a jar!"
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  08:43:35 AM  Show Profile
Lemon Balm can help too....I am sorry to hear this. I have been there...I think we all may have gone through it even a little from time to time...HUUUUUUG!!! February should be called "Funkuary" I think. It is the funk month indeed....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melanie, I'm sending you a ((((HUG)))). My SIL in Green Bay, Wisconsin tells me she's renting one of those lights that help with SAD. Maybe that's an option for you, too. The farther north you live, the shorter the hours of daylight. :>( You're mighty far north!
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh and if you are like us, we leave a few curtains shut even during the day, because the cold is jsut too much through the glass....I HAVE to open the big window curtains even for a bit of time, or I start getting funky.....

OH! and a couple more supplements that may help: Kava along with the St. John's Wart, ginko biloba, B-vitamins!!! When we are stressed or sick, our body pours B-vitamins like a faucet....it helps to keep those levels up with a good B Vitamin Complex. I get mine via a liquid vitamin I get at the Mississippi Market in St. Paul. I love it! It really does help! It also helps keep you from getting sick too becuase those levels stay up up!!

Some homeopaths that help are Sepia (I have some in my cabinet!) and Ignatia, Nat Mur.

Here is a tea I found online:

0.4 oz. (10 g) root of Rehmannia glutinosa conquita
0.3 oz. (9 g) peony root (paenia lactiflora)
0.2 oz. (6 g) Chinese angelica root (Angelica sinensis)
0.2 oz. (6 g) root of Lugistricus chuanxiong
1 1/4 cups (300 ml) water
Bring all ingredients to a quick boil, simmer for 20 minutes to reduce the volume to about half, and sip slowly while still warm. Using the same method, add more water in the evening and prepare the same tea. Discard the ingredients. The Chinese tonic Bei Qi Nao Zao Jiu supports the action of light tea. Take 2 teaspoons every morning and afternoon for 3 months. This is the most effective way to treat depression with herbs.

Maybe you can find these herbs at an herbal store or natural vitamin store?

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  09:47:04 AM  Show Profile
I think you will also start to help yourself feel better if you sit down and have a talk with your husband. You have to tell him about the checks-- just be honest and let him know you're going through a rough time and you made a mistake. Tell him that you need him to be there for you, and the ways it would help the most. Make sure you listen to what he has to say about things (I'm sure he's noticed you've been not quite yourself) and remember that everything will be okay. You're recognizing you're going through something right now and that's important! That says you will have the strength to get through this and be able to put things to rights for yourself.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  10:57:31 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, another big farmgirl hug coming your way. All the ladies have given excellent suggestions and advice; this IS a funk-filled time of year.....the excitement of Christmas is gone, the bills are here (ha), and the weather is cold (and often dreary)that we tend to run from warm office to car to home; not much chance for appreciating the beauty outside and getting some invigorating fresh air into our lungs. Amanda is right on the money; sit down as soon as possible with your husband and fess up. Keeping it inside only cranks up your anxiety level so it remains simmering in the back of your mind. He will help you through this, and you can see we are all here to cheer you on. Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  11:04:17 AM  Show Profile
Melanie
((((((HUG))))))))))) I suffer from depression. I tried St Johns Wort and then Natural Progesterone. Those did not work for me, so I have to take a prescription drug. You may also want to get your thyroid checked. I have read up extensively on it as I have a sluggish thyroid. Thyroid problems can mimic many other disorders such as depression, pre-menopause and such.

Please go the the doctor and please talk to your husband. Just getting that off of your chest will help a little. And if you do go on a prescriptive medicine, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take yourself off of them without your doctors help.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  11:33:51 AM  Show Profile
My sister just went to a therapist this last Thursday. She said that my sister should have more outlets. Right now she has church and a scrapbooking group from church and family to talk to. The therapist says to get with some people that she can visit with occasionally that have nothing to do with church or famiy or work. Someone unrelated.

Being around people can boost your mental state of being. Chicken soup for the soul! Hope you feel better soon. Drink some caffeine, call a friend, read a great book, go for a walk, get some sunshine. Animal friends can help too! I too have have eaten more than I need and shopped too much. I know how that feels. Good thing that you recognized your issue and told someone. Your husband will be okay, just tell him what's going on underneath it all. He'll probably understand. He's probably not PERFECT either!!! : )

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  11:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Another Farmgirl ((((((HUG))))))). Depression can be such a deep dark well. I'm glad you are recognizing the symptoms. You need to get at the heart of what is wrong. Could be the Seasonal Affective Disorder. Could be vitamin deficiencies, thyroid disorder, clinical depression can be devastating. My next question is: how old are you. Are you in the 35 to 45 age zone when you might be affected by perimenopause?

Please sit down with your husband and talk...are you in an abusive relationship? Have you ever been in an abusive relationship? If you had, did you ever seek counselling for it? Just throwing out some possibilities to add to what the other farmgirls have said. Food for thought.

Here is a page you might be interested in:

http://www.depression.com/helping_yourself.html

I've been in that deep dark well of depression to the point of ending it all....don't let it get that bad. I'm here to tell you that tomorrow is another day. Each day has worry enough of its own. Get help...do not be afraid of getting help. Talk to your doctor, take a brisk walk, exercise. Stop all caffeine, cut down on sugar, take a deep breath and take each minute as it comes.

Big hugs coming your way.
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  12:44:56 PM  Show Profile
Here's another (((((((((HUG)))))))) from me too...I think the other farmgirls have had so many great suggestions that I don't have much to add..I hope you feel better really soon. I know I certainly don't feel as much like myself this time of year and that probably makes any depression worse even if it isn't the only thing going on!
We are here for ya Mel!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  10:15:29 PM  Show Profile
(((((Big Hug)))))))

I think that you really need to tell your husband as soon as possible and get that off your shoulders. You have had a lot of really good suggestions here from the other farmgirls. The only thing I can add is dont be afraid to try a prescription for depression if you have to. I am currently taking Zoloft for anxiety and it is also an antidepressant. I wasnt real happy to have to resort to a prescription drug but I can tell you that I feel so much better and I am glad that I got help and am taking something. Its a really good sign that you have recognized what is going on with yourself. Just be sure you seek help for it from a professional if need be. We are all here for you!! Let us know how things go with you hubby and you can always come back and talk to us if you need an ear.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  02:32:07 AM  Show Profile
Mella,
I am also sending A BIG (((((((HUG)))))) your way! I know how you feel as I think I am currently suffering from depression. I don't really know whether it is just not liking my life at the moment or actual depression. But somedays it is real hard to get any enjoyment out of life. I am just trying to tell myself to be happy about the little things, especially for my childrens' sake - I certainly don't want them growing up and remembering me as always being sad. Is there maybe an underlying problem like that - not liking something in your life at the moment? I am also spending too much, and even though I tell myself it is only to substitute for being unhappy, I can't seem to stop. I really hope you get to the bottom of this, and am sending you happy thoughts.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  05:11:28 AM  Show Profile
Yet another big (((((HUG))))) to you from me. I've been there too, and it's rough. Everyone has had great practical suggestions--take care of yourself, exercise, try teas, vitamins, etc, maybe even counseling. I'll be praying for you. It may very well be a hormonal/seasonal thing, but while you're going through it, it feels like there's no answer. Praying and reading my Bible really helped get me through my bad time. The assurance that God, who created the universe, and holds everything in his hands was right there with me through it all really helped me draw that line between how bad I was feeling and what I needed to do to be able to try to get through it. This is one verse that I go back to time and time again when I feel bad: Isaiah 46:4 "And even to your old age I am he; and even to gray hairs will I carry you; I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry and will deliver you."

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  06:03:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Melanie. I am so sorry. I have been there myself. It just seems like it will never end, but i promise it will. First, please talk to your husband. It will bbe much better coming from you, with an explanation of what is happening to you, than for him to find out from the bank. Second, I know it's cold out, but head outdoors. Even for just a 10 or 15 minute walk, or shoveling snow. or anything. The air and the sun are so exhilerating that you will perk up a bit from being out. Third- exercise. Stretch your muscles, get air into your lungs- it works for me everytime. Fourth- we are here for you with nice, farmgirl shoulders for you to "rest" on. Kathy is right- no matter what, Heavenly Father is there waiting to hear from you and give you the peace that you need. There is great comfort in that.
Take care- You will be in my prayers.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  07:25:55 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, we have all gone through junk like this, I know I have. It is true, it is a rough time of year. Tell your husband, its not the end of the world. Those checks won't change much.Warm hugs your way.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  10:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Melanie ~ I hope you are feeling better soon (((hugs)))

Last winter I suffered from depression, I think it started with post-partum and just got worse. I finally went to the Dr. (not something I do often) when I felt like my whole family would be better off without me. She said I was in major major depression. I had been taking St. Johns for a few months but it just wasn't enough.

I was put on med's but didn't seem to really feel much change. I never went back to get different meds and weaned myself off of the ones I was on. I slowly started to come around, and I'm not sure if it was because of the meds, because I started taking better care of ME, or just the validation from the Dr. that something was wrong and it wasn't just me.

All this to say that I have been where you are and I know it hurts and it's frustrating. I would encourage you to talk to a Dr. or whomever you trust for your health care.

((((hugs)))

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  6:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Hugs to you - first off, know that you are not alone - we all go through these times. It could be SAD - I hate February the shortest month that seems to go on forever. It could be menopause related, thyroid - you could be hypoglycemic, you could have fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome - See a dr, rule out any thing physical. I take Wellbutrin for depression - it does not affect your sex drive like some of the other medications, I take xanax when needed and I take Ambien to sleep when needed - Get some general blood work done to rule out any physical condition.
Next, don't be so hard on yourself - we all make mistakes, we all bounce checks and we all overspend - men do it to but will often not fess up to it hehehe. Are you afraid your husband will yell at you?
I have seen a psychiatrist after the death of my sister when I had a major depressive episode - I did not find him much help, but rather talking to friends, even internet friends who cared about me helped me deal with my issues. Know that we are all here for you - and if you need to talk, just give a shout and anyone of us will be happy to listen to you.
Hugs and love!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  9:45:56 PM  Show Profile
hugs to you Mella. please know that we all care about you. you have recieved some good advice. I'd definitely go see a dr. and get some blood work done.
Don't be ashamed to talk to a dr. about this. We all wish you the absolute best, and want you to be happy.hugs to you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  07:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
First of all, lots of (((((HUGS)))) to you. Secondly, if you even feel like you are suffering, them most likely you are. It is important for you to take care of yourself. I am almost a year out from my DS being born and I know I am suffering. DH said that he didn't believe in PPD and that it was a crock of huey. Well, I cried just about everyday for 3 months straight and still have the occasional break down at the drop of a hat. I am usually a very stoic person but asfter the birth of my son, that all went south.

I take walks, eat very well (another thing my DH says I spend to much on fresh produce, healthy breads, fresh juices) but the results have been great.
I also get pedicures and I spend alot of time outside in the sun. I pay good money to get my very short hair cut just right. Little things like taking time to moisturize my whole body everyday is small but so big to me and when I feel better, I deal better.

Last month, I got rid of any clothes that do not fit me or just are not needed for my lifestyle now. I am down to boots, flip flops, jeans, t's, hoodies, some fleece and a few tank tops. This is part of accepting who I am and loving myself and not compromising to fit someone else's mold. DH flipped because I gave away 12!!!! bags of clothing and shoes.

I guess my point is take EXCELLENT care of yourself, whether you do it yourself or get outside help. I learned to slow down and do what I want and live how I want to live. This has helped tremendously with my depression. The rest of the world will still be there in the end and you will be better able to deal with it if you are healthy.
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  08:04:43 AM  Show Profile
(((HUGS)))from the other side of the bridge.
First thing to do is to talk with hubby and see a doctor. My husband is seeing a doctor now, and was given a prescription for depression. He is no longer taking it as he focused on doing things that he likes to do with family members and loved ones. I am thinking SAD as well, but a doctor would be more assistance, just be careful as some are very (too) quick to say you are depressed and to write out a prescription.
Melanie, I am not too far away if you need to talk or to take a day and do something fun with a fellow farmgirl friend....
If you want to email me, or MSN, check out the profile.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile
one little thing that I might suggest ..is to get some "sunshine therapy" just sit outside where the sun is and just soak it in..and listen to the birds..it really is a help.

hugs to you Mella. I wish you the very best..and that is happiness.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  08:19:12 AM  Show Profile
I am glad you reached out to the farmgirls and shared your feelings. That is a great sign that you can handle what is depressing you and that you want to be with and share with others. These girls all care a lot and have given you great suggestions. Here is a hug from me, and I also will pray that you can feel the strength of God with you. Sunny days will be here again soon! :)

Ephesians 1:17

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 12 2007 08:20:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Zahara
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Buffalo New York
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  09:17:51 AM  Show Profile
And also this ... I see you are up in Canada

at least over ten years ago when I realized I felt better going to work than being at home I knew something was up. Work has all those lightbulbs.

get chromalux light bulbs for all of your main lights - yes, expensive, worth every penny. I have found that no other bulbs competes with the quality of light put out by these particular bulbs. I have since never gone back to reqular lights and would never willing do so of.

If there is not full sun - with the curtains open, you turn on the light even in the day time during the short winter months

this will tell you about them - and then when you click on How to Order it redirects you elsewhere - it can sometimes be a challange to find these bulbs. I emphasize, get only these ones, as any time I did not the quality of light and the life-time of the bulb was less.
http://www.lumiram.com/incandescent.html.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile
oh my goodness!!! Thank you all so very much. You have brought a great mound of tears ...I have been crying for the past half an hour after reading your loving words....I have talked to my husband (who is not abussive, he is a dear sweet man, and now I know, also very understanding) he wasn't mad, just disapointed, which is very understandable. The two of us cut up my credit cards together and we worked out a budget for me. I will have an "allowance" and need to be accountable for money spent. This may or may not work, but it is a start. Today I went to town and only spent $18.00!!! I am very proud of myself!!
I have been praying, but I am a new Christian and not quite sure where to begin/or look in the bible for help....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated regarding that.
I am new to this province (my husband has lived here all of his life) and I have only one friend. I have tried to make more, but haven't had any luck, seems most of the women I meet here are gossipy.
Having you girls as friends has really helped me out and I knew that when I posted my "dirty laundry" here I would not be judged and that means soooooo very much to me.
thanks for all of your "hugss" and for those of you that shared your woes with me helps me also.
blessing to you all!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I think I am suffering from depression Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page