suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  06:17:02 AM  Show Profile
Any quilters out there? I love to quilt and sew. I like the quicker projects as i have to fit in with a busy homelife and children. Any favorite patterns or website? I like Quick Quilts magazine by McCalls and Create and Decorate magazine.

Country girl in NE PA

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  06:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome to MJF! There are quite a few of us and it's nice to hear we have some new quilter's joining. Nancy from Washington posted a site she really likes and I must say thank you! The shop is called The Buggy Barn and it is fabulous. The website is easy to navigate, has tons of patterns, and great fabric selections. Atleast they seem to be my speed. I like my fabrics to look like they were made before 1940! Have fun here at MJF and we'll look forward to hearing more about your projects.I'm in NJ, if you cross the river what town is on my side?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  07:23:43 AM  Show Profile
I love your profile name Clare!!!!I also enjoy quick sewing projects, as I'm not an expert sewer. I took my first quilt class a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Jun 04 2005 07:30:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  08:43:05 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't resist the "Quilting" topic. Here's a link to my page (which has the link to the Buggy Barn)
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltedess/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
About the Buggy Barn . . . last August I "entered" a quilt in their quilt show (it's just a show, no judging) and during the week before the show I took classes in their barn. It was really, really fun! I learned mostly about making penny woolie-type projects. And how to make a free-form type quilt like the one I have a photo of on my web page that has an apple in the middle. I designed it myself. Easy peasy. At the classes there were people attending from ALL OVER, Minnesota, Utah, Texas, and Washington, Idaho and Oregon.
Let me know what you're interested in.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  12:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals,

Nancy, your quilts are so amazing! I also quilt, I make baby quilts using vintage (or reproduction) hankies, here's my website (work-in-progress) http://mollymaequilts.tripod.com. I haven't tried piece-quilting yet, but would like to learn!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  7:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Molly, when I clicked on your link I couldn't see pictures. Just a "sign" where the picture was supposed to be saying "Image Hosted by Tripod" Let me know if I need to try something else.
Thanks,
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  9:36:17 PM  Show Profile
The Buggy Barn is one of my favorite shops too. I try to manage a visit there 2 or 3 times a year. My sister and I hosted a quilt retreat for some of our internet quilt friends last August and we took them to the quilt show at The Buggy Barn. It was well worth the trip and they loved it. I also like Pieceable Drygoods in Kennewick. I tend to like anything Primitive/Folk Art, expecially applique.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  10:57:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by quiltedess

Molly, when I clicked on your link I couldn't see pictures. Just a "sign" where the picture was supposed to be saying "Image Hosted by Tripod" Let me know if I need to try something else.
Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy, how strange!!! I've never had that happen before. I just clicked the link as well, and every picture on my site has that on it...I'll have to work on fixing that. Darn!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  11:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...well, I went to my website the regular way, and everything showed up. Maybe the link was just really bad. Try cutting and pasting the link and see if that will work. Thanks!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  09:39:12 AM  Show Profile
Molly, I got there by taking out the period at the end of your link. Odd how that would make the pictures disappear. Anyway, your Hankie quilt is really cute. What a great idea! and you sew them by hand! Very impressive, I guess I'm not that patient. If you are interested in learning about pieceing (by hand) check out a wonderful book by Jinny Beyer, "Quiltmaking by Hand".
https://www.jinnybeyer.com/books/quiltmaking.cfm?axis_v=2
It is very detailed and no doubt could "teach" you anything you'd like to know. I am currently working on a red/white/blue quilt from a book called "Folk Art Friends" by Polly Minick and Laurie Simpson; they have a new book out called "Everyday Folk Art". Their books aren't just for quilts, they also include Penny Wool rugs and Hooked wool rugs. Laurie is the one who quilts and she prefers to piece and quilt by hand. I found belatedly that her hand-pieced quilt didn't transfer easily to machine and I had to make some adaptations so I could do it on the machine. The machine is fast, but hands can make much more intricate piecing. Someday I will do it. :-)
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  11:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Neat quilts! Now I have an idea on how to use my old hankies!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  12:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,

I'm glad it worked for you, that is strange how much difference the period made in the link...Thanks for the compliment on my quilts. They are so fun to make. I'm currently working on a custom-made one using Minky fabric, have any of you experienced Minky fabric? It's so hard to work with, but it is the most incredibly soft chenille out there, wonderful to make baby quilts from!

Kim, these quilts are so simple to make, and fun! I made one for my baby girl who ended up being a baby boy and I got hooked.

BTW, Nancy's Notions is headquartered here in Beaver Dam, I LOVE to go browsing around (but it's sooo expensive!)

Have a great day!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  08:16:29 AM  Show Profile
Just yesterday a customer brought a quilt into the quilt shop where I work. It had vintage hankies that were folded into shapes that looked like butterflies and then they were appliqued onto blocks. It was pretty and very interesting. It reminded me of your quilts Molly.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  08:37:09 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, do you work at the Buggy Barn? Lucky you if that's true! I got my summer newsletter from our quilt shop and guess what one of the classes is? " Come revisit "Spring Fever" with a pattern from the crazy girls at The Buggy Barn!" Small world huh? And I would have never given it a second glance had you not posted with the great link! Thanks again!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  09:36:33 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, how fun, I've seen quilts like that, they are so pretty made into butterflies :). I've never tried it, but I bet it would be easy to do!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:08:33 AM  Show Profile
I just joined and I'm so happy to find some quilters. I've been quilting for almost 20 years and its now a passion.

My favorite quilts are scrappy quilts. The more the merrier. I just found a new book titled Scraps Organized to Perfectionand I'm ordering it today. Can't wait to get it.

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group, countrymamma! You'll find lots of "kindred spirits" here!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Hello to all quilters! I am a long time quilter (20 plus years) and will never lose my love of it. In my mind, it is one of the ultimate art forms. The making of a quilt embodies all the things we humans crave - lasting beauty, the honest work of our hands, gentle warmth, creativity, and the ability to take us back in time and memory.

I do all hand-quilting. God gave us the best sewing machine ever - our fingers. They can be taken anywhere, do not need electricity and rarely break down!

My quilts do not look professional, though. They are rustic and I kind of like the pioneer look they reveal when they are finished. Although, I am sure most pioneer women could take smaller stitches than I do.

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 16 2005 07:39:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  11:41:44 AM  Show Profile
My favorite quilts are the ones that I have finished that someone started generations ago and passed down the peices of quilt tops. I have been given, several times by different friends, blocks and whole tops that they would never find time to finish. I love to complete someone else's vision.
I love rustic looking pioneer type quilts too, Jp, and want to get some made for my grown boys for Christmas this next year..that is my goal anyway.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  12:42:42 PM  Show Profile
I don't actually "quilt" in the traditional sense, but I have tied quilts with thick wool batting like my mom used to. I caught a quilting show on PBS last Saturday and it showed a quilt top being stitched to a fleece backing and the fleece was folded around, corners mitered and sitched down with blanket stitch. The quilt top itself was stitched in the ditch to the backing(I hope this makes sense). I don't have the website yet, but I'm thinking of doing a couple of these in lap size for sitting in the basement tv room. Its chilly down there!
I'd check my local PBS listing. Fons and Porter do the quilt show, and I don't know the exact name. ( If someone finds my brain, PLEASE let me know)

Jana
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  2:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Its so wonderful to meet "kindred spirits" when it comes to quilting. I love that each quilter is unique and finds their own comfort zone.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  2:46:16 PM  Show Profile
I have a quilt top from my grandma, Jenny, it was her last one. I have it put together with the batting and the backing, and now I have to quilt it. I have been working on it FOREVER!!! I need to get that out and finish it at last before I myself am too old!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  8:46:01 PM  Show Profile

Any quilters out there?

We are definately alive and kicking! I have quilted, pieced and generally driven my grandmother crazy with questions since I was about six. I tend to do more wearables than anything else, since I am finishing 10 tops my great-grandmother pieced-one for each of my nieces and nephews. My mom had planned on helping, but I'm not counting on it. I love to play with color. I love to make the same block several times with related colors and textures just to experiment with the mood. I'm looking forward to learning more about your quilting experiences too.

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  7:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hey quilting farmgirls!!!!!
Can we ever live long enough to get to use all of our fabrics in the millions of quilts in our heads??????I would need to be at least two hundred and eighty years old if I started right now and didnt do anything else!!!! Ok Ill give up having a full time job....and some housework!!!!!
ohhh yes minkee is lovely......is it wrong for a grown up to want a minkee blankee????I read somewhere they were making it in dark colors for grown ups!!!!!
Quilt on Farmgirls!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  9:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes Susan, I've seen it on eBay in dark green and a beautiful deep red! I want a minky blankie of my own too! . One of my sons (my 11 year old) can't stop touching the quilt I'm working on right now made from it...hehe, I think he wants one of his own too!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hey Mollymae!
Loved the Farmgirl art from you! I got it today!! Thank you!!Im working on mine now as I write this.....I got to cop a feel of some minkee today at a quilt shop.....I think they need to make it 108 wide for bed blankets!!!We need it up here where the snow flys and the cold wind doth blow!!!!starting say...october....!!??where in wisconsin is Beaver damn? I think the furthest north ive been in WI was Hurley....close to Ironwood MI that was way back in the day
1976 or something???Ive been to Milwaukee a handful of times ..highlights have included the Gees Bend quilt exhibit and Sting and Annie Lennox at the summerfest grounds.....blah...ok thanks again for the fab farmgirl art!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilting Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page