haward
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Helen
Markdale Ontario
Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2005 :  6:10:45 PM  Show Profile
I have an old livingroom set that I am going to try my hand at upholstering. The springs are popping through and need tighten and there is hay still in the chair. Can I remove the springs and the hay and upholster without them or is this ruining the old chair. I would say it is from the late 1800's early 1900's. Heart shape back on couch with wood trim, claw feet. There is a couch, wing back and smaller back chair. The people I bought it from in the 80's, had obtained it from their grandparents and had it upholstered in 60/70's rust fun fur. I had it upholstered, but, the guy did not do a good job and the springs alway bowed out. Removing them might eliminate this problem.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2005 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile
Haward,
It sounds to me like you have a very valuable set of furniture and having it professionally done would be my suggestion, however that is a costly option. I have been doing work like this for a long time and would suggest that if you wish to do this work yourself that you see if there are any classes offered at a nearby community college or upholstery shop where you would be taught the correct way to fix the problems with the springs and how to choose a fabric that would reestore the original beauty and value of this fine set of furniture. Other options you have are to go to the local library and look for several books on reupholstering furniture. I have one called " the complete upholsterer", and another put out by Sunset magazine called 'Reupholstering at Home" that I use all of the time as well as several others especially for their specialty training such as doing recaning and rush seat reweaving. None that I have are complete enough to teach you all of the steps you will need to learn to fix these up but several combined have all of the information in them with photos to show you exactly how the step should look. The springs were not tied correctly if they bowed out. The hay as you call it was most likely originally horse hair and a grass like filling. These are products that are still available and are superior to the more modern types of filling for springiness and to keep the antique value of your furniture. If you choose to use a MORE MODERN AND LESS EXPENSIVE FILLER I WOULD SUGGEST THE COTTON BATT THAT IS MANUFACTURED FOR THIS PURPOSE NOT THE EVEN NEWER POLYESTER FILLERS. Keep the springs that were in the chairs if they are not broken and if they are broken I would go to an upholstery supplier to get exact replacements. If you lived colse to me I would love the opportunity to do this work for you but I am sure you can find a qualified person to do the work if you ask around at antique stores for who does ther restoration work. This is where I get al;l of my referals for work. I never advertise any other way. Let us know what you decide to do.
I hope I have given you some helpful suggestions and wish you well with this very exciting project.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Ahhh, how timely, I upholstered 2 large chairs and a large ottoman just recently (my first big upholstering project). A hint, use a fabric that doesn't have a big pattern you have to worry about matching up. I used a cream on cream pattern and made tons of piping trim to go around each part of it, making piping gets really old. My project was difficult because the chairs had attached cushions on the backs that "looked like" freestanding cushions but they really had a shared back with the chair. The zippers were really quite easy to put in. I did go to a local upholsterer and bought a few pieces of specialized cardboard and metal that you need for the crisp edges of the chair. If you buy them from a supply place you have to order a ton of them so this guy let me buy about 10 individual pieces from him. The ottoman also had an "attached" pillow top that was a tailored rectangle. I put piping all around that also. Be sure to carefully take off the old fabric and use it as a pattern to cut the new fabric. My mother used to make paper patterns for the chairs but I found working with the old fabric easier. ALWAYS cut the new fabric larger than the old fabric, it gives you more to hang on too when pulling the fabric taut. You can always trim it, but if you have attached it too close to the end of the fabric and kids/dogs bounce on it, it will pull loose. I had my sewing machine, chairs/ottoman and all that fabric spread out in our bedroom for what seemed to my husband forever. He was like the Pope with Michelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel, "When will you make an end to it?". I was so proud of that upholstering, it looks great. I would rather upholster a chair than make draperies any day. Mollie
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  6:12:55 PM  Show Profile
Mollie and Eileen where are you when I need you! I would gladly sew drapes of any sort , custom pillows, bolsters,etc. but I do not enjoy slipcovers or upholstery (until the end!) I have a sofa sorely in need right now and am debating what to do. It was a very good sofa (2nd hand ) that does make upholstering it worthwhile. I seem to have some sort of block about doing it ! I wish I shared your enthusiasm!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  6:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Helen-- Welcome to MJF and thanks for joining in! I have to agree with Eileen that your furniture sounds quite interesting and potentially valuable.I know original patina is something you should not monkey with but that if you use period appropriate fabric you do not change the value greatly if done well. Does your furniturehave any markings or labels? That would be a good place to start to determine value. The orange fun fur can definitely go! You might even see remnants of what was original to the pieces underneath that "groovy" fur!Keep us posted!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Upholstering Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page