True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  06:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
Dear All,

Cara (my 9 yo daughter) is interested in knitting. Since I'm horrible with any kind of handwork, I don't even know how to help her start. There are a couple of knitting shops in Tulsa (40 miles away). Would that be a good place to begin?

Thanks!

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  11:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Yes! Knitting shops seem to most times have someone just eagar to help a new knitter get started. I got the book "Kids Knit" for my 10 year old daughter and that has great instructions too...for times you don't feel like the 40 mile drive. My daughters first project was a beanbag...which is more like a snake...but she still loved it. She is doing headbands and potholders now until she gets the hang of it better, but has plans for so much more. I bet the knitting shop can recomend a good book too..good luck

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  5:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Making piggy squares to sew into a blanket is an easy way to learn. These can be all done in plain stitch. You can use different colours or make stripes on your squares. Cast on 10 stiches in double knitting and knit 15-20 rows, cast off.
Go to Top of Page

knittin girl13
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Haley

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile
I am new to knitting and am around your daughters age. All i did to get started was went online and found the best website ever. It has the step by step instructions to help. But the best part is it has easy pictures to help you even more to see where to put the needle and other stuff. The website is http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml;jsessionid=WSQW5W41RDRLRQFIBQSB5VQ?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/12999.xml&catref=SC1649 The website i just gave you is to learn how to make a slip knot. the next website is for making your first stiches http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/13000.xml&catref=SC1649 i started out with 11. That was to make a scarf. i think that a scarf is the easiest for a beginner. now i haven't gotten as fsr as casting off but if u want to give me your email adress i can have it to you as soon as i find it
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Starting Out Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page