Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Have you ever told anyone you were a...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Have you ever told anyone you were a... Next Topic
Page: of 3

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  4:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Brenda, you're right...it's offical...I'm a Farmgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  05:16:22 AM  Show Profile
I don't think I've ever said "I'm a farmer" when people ask what I do for work, but I always proudly say that I built my barn, with help from my farmgirl daughter who's 11! And that we have chickens and sell veggies at the farmer's Market. I guess I separate who I am (farmgirl)because it is a state of mind and heart, with what I do (educator) because that is what brings in the money (although right now I am not employed). I am still hoping and dreaming to one day make enough money at the farming to not have to leave home to get paid.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was called a "country bumpkin" when I was younger because we lived way out in the country side of town where only them "po' folk" lived. While in the military, I always wore overalls with flip flops and baseball caps. The called me "country gal".
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  12:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Last summer while working at a girl scout camp, I told one of the girls I wanted to be a farmer. She said, "Girls can't be farmers!" I replied, "Of course they can!" Like Mary Ann, I live in Illinois where being a farmer usually means having hundreds or thousands of acres of corn and soybeans. A lot of people don't realize that there are many varieties of farm and farmer. Man or woman, a thousand acres or half an acre, cows or chickens or horses or sheep or plants; as long as you have a love for the land, for getting your feet wet and your hands dirty; in my mind you are a farmer.

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  11:08:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm known as the Urban Farmgirl. You don't have to live in the country to be a farmer! I don't have a lot of friends who have the same interests as me, but I'm proud of what I like to do and who I am. Plus, farm women know how to get things done-- when there's a crisis, or a cause for celebration, or the need for a hug-- the best people to have around you are farmgirls.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  08:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Amanda;
Could not have said it better.
Amen

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile
Our little 3-year-old friend, Isabella (her beautiful smiling face is in the last mag and the farmgirl calendar), was enjoying her bedtime story about Old McDonald from her momma,when she stopped Momma mid sentence with her thoughts.

"Old McDonald is not a farmer. Only girls can be farmers."

Momma Rebekka and I LOVED it! We are still chuckling about this one!!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  12:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Heeee, hee! A farmgirl true and true!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  4:47:51 PM  Show Profile
I love addressing myself as a farmgirl, although I have not lived on a farm for 30 plus years. I still own a piece of our farm and I cherish it. I wear my bluejeans, and bluejean jacket, and when comments are made, I always reply, " I was born and rasied on a farm. I will always have bluejeans and jacket...My Dad was a REAL cowboy and he would be proud of me today ." In fact, when he died our local newspaper wrote an article name, "The last of the real cowboys."

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  5:07:28 PM  Show Profile
With farming grandfather's, having lived on a farm and now not, I have to agree that it is a state of mind and what you do with what you have. Some of my son's friends were once telling someone how to get to our house and said " You'll know it because it's the only one with that farm stuff in the front yard". What farm stuff you might ask?
(Visions of deserted tractors and combines come to mind?! What he was referring to was a white picket fence with a scarecrow, tall birdhouse w/ morning glories on the post, flower garden and hubbard squash ! I guess I am the neighborhood "farmer"! And you can't even see the herb, vegetable and raised bed gardens from out front!
I guess I have "downsized" to the term grower: grower of children, flowers, veggies, herbs and fruit, friendships, family,...etcetera, etcetera!
with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Feb 10 2007 5:10:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  6:25:19 PM  Show Profile
I just describe my body parts as being farmgirl hands, farmgirl feet. I have a large frame for my 5'6" of height. I wear size 9 shoes and have large hands. My poor mother, bless her heart, has size 9.5 shoes and hands that are as big as mine and she is only 5'3".

I have a shirt from the dollar store that has a red tractor on the back and it says, "It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!" I love it.

I say more often that I'm an Okie. It's a term that's more all encompassing. My sister is more the farmgirl than me. She has some land, loves to garden, piddle with her horse, work outside etc. I am in the Ma Kettle phase of life raizin my 4 hickletts. Cookin', warshin', cleanin' & keepin' house. For awhile I was even schoolin' some my brood, but now the two older ones go to a school.

My husband has been converted from city boy to "Bubba." He drives a Ford F150 ext cab truck and he would buy us some land if he could. His dream would be to live somewhere rural and be the pastor of a church, raise pigs and build a stone house. Maybe when we are older.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

littlegreen
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Katelyn
Spanish Fork UT
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  12:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am not a literal farmgirl but the other day I walked into the same room my husband was in and announced "I think I'm a farmgirl!!!" he started laughing and said I'd lost my mind... that deciding to plant a garden this summer didn't make me a farmgirl. I said "look here in this book honey, MayrJane says farmgirl is a condition of the heart, and I have that condition!" He still makes fun of me because I think I'm a farmgirl.
But I am! True and true and I am proud to say it!!

www.littlegreendesigns.com ~ handbound blank books, purses, jewelry, and other fun stuff for the naturist in you!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Hurray for you, Katelyn! Being a farmgirl *IS* a condition of the heart - a true blue farmgirl you are!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  3:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Katelyn...you are absolutely a farmgirl. My hubby is starting to get the hang of it, and even helps now. He helps me with ideas, and will say that he enjoys the farmgirl part of me....
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  5:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Katelyn-

I think there is a special breed of us that are born Farmgirls. It might have taken us a few years to realize it- but that Farmgirl blood was just lurking under the surface all the time. Just like a seed in winter- it’s there just waiting to grow, even if we don’t realize it! It sounds like you have always been a Farmgirl even though you didn’t know it!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:22:59 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite quotes is "you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl". I don't know who said it, but they hit the nail on the head!

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  10:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Well I have never said that I am because I don't have a farm now , but once I do... yes I will say that I am a farmgirl! I only lived on a farm 2 years out of my life. But I did gardening with my grandmother for many years, planted many fruit trees and bushes, made bread from scratch ( we ground our own wheat etc), canned, dehydrated, and froze a ton of fruits and veggies over the years, harvested by hand a ton of peanuts and a field of patatoes(lol boy was that fun..thanks mom!! lol ) have cleared fields, helped take down trees, overseen the care and management of several alfalfa hay fields, was a purchase agent for a greenhouse and gardening project, over saw the grounds matainance for a 450 acre camp, ran the horse and buggy rides for a camp with two beautiful Belgian drafts named Ben and Bess ( Ben was my baby! such a wonderful personality and a pleasure to care for and work with), had a bee hive that we harvested honey from for about 5 years, cared for other various horses, helped a horse (Bess) give birth to a beautiful foal, have dug up an old hearth and re-used the bricks for the walls and floor of a woodstove area in our farmhouse, renovated a farmhouse, and killed a few bad snakes. So I guess when you put it all together, maybe I could claim that status before I have my own farm?? I dont know...but I do know I am a farmgirl at heart and have been since I was about 10!

Hugz to All!
Talitha

PS

True story about Bess. I worked at a camp and since I have been around horses my whole life and love them to death, I used to help quite a bit with the horse program. The lady in charge of the horse program had a ton of certificates and degrees hanging all over the barn and was always telling everyone what to do, most of the time when it wasn't even needed. Well we got there and about a month after I arrived and they found out I loved and did well with horses, the Belgians got shoved my way a bit. I was asked if I would take over the care and buggy/hay rides and I said sure. What I didnt know I was thrilled to learn. I was mortified the feed mixture and amount they were feeding the belgians and began to try and change that but the gal in charge would not hear to it. Well she told me the first day I went to care for the belgians that Bess was not behaving and was acting tired all the time so I needed to be firm with her because it was just an attitude she was fine. I thanked her and went to the barn ( I like finding out things on my own sometimes so did not pay much attention) I went to hook them up to the buggy for the first time, and felt like something just wasnt right with Bess, she seemed tired and worn out and had very low energy I figured it was due to the feeding/work load and figured I would take care of that but kept checking her out... and guess what?!? She was pregnant..and far along too! I was so angry that the poor thing was not being fed right and therefore was not handling the pregnancy like she should have been at all and was being worked hard to boot!! I ran to tell the "horse lady" and she scoofed at me and said " I think if she was pregnant I of all people would know!" So I went to the main manager of the camp and he called the vet and sure enough, she was pregnant and gave birth a few weeks later! I was shocked that this teacher/horse lady who managed this place and had all this training was so lacking in true knowledge. And myself who claim to know nothing and have only owned one pony my whole life seemed more in tune and aware then she was. I invested the help of a local draft horse club to put presure on and make sure that Bess and Ben were well cared for after that! So I guess though I have a ton to learn, in my heart and veins runs true blue farmgirl blood!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  08:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Talitha-

I am so glad you were able to help the horses! I bet the foal was wonderful.

I definitely say we all are Farmgirls because it is more about what is in your heart and soul than geography!
Go to Top of Page

highlandgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cheryl
Colfax, WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  09:15:02 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Talitha. Misunderstood, mistreated, and abused animals always make me angry because it usually is the "expert" or the indifferent who just don't pay attention. I'm glad you were able to intervene and also do some long-term support.

By the way, being willing to learn more all the time is a good indicator of a farm girl. I've learned a tremendous amount in the last 10 years since the only pet I had growing up in the city was a hamster. Being willing to try new things and get in and get dirty doing it is a big part of being a farm girl. In my area, farmers are usually people with thousands of acres and big machines, but slowly my DH and I are changing some perspectives.

Being a farm girl, sure helps build the confidence to open minds.

Keep up the good work everybody.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Fannie McFadden
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Fannie
Desbarats Ontario
Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  3:43:24 PM  Show Profile
We bought our farm last April (102 acres). Wow! Time goes by fast.. Shortly after we moved in the country, I did my first shopping in this cute little country grocery store. It changed my life...it's where I found the maryjanes farm magazine! Four month later I quit my job in the city. My name is Fannie...So now everybody calls me Fannie Farmer. I Love it! I proudly say: "I'm an Organic Farmer".

Sometime it feels like I live in "Little House in the Prairie". I often call my husband Almanzo... This is... for sure...the Best time of my life! It's Friday night and in my old city life I would be stuck in traffic, trying to get home! Tonight, every muscle in my body hurts...the good kind of pain..I worked hard today getting the garden ready; and now I'm going outside for an after dinner drink, admiring the work I did and plan the projects for tomorrow!

Life is Good!....Thank You Mary Jane!

With Love Fannie Farmer.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  5:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Wow Fannie, your Friday night sounds good! I came home from work after a long, delayed trip on the city bus and fell asleep from exhaustion. I'm just now up and awake again at 8 pm to start my weekend... that after dinner drink in the garden sounds fantastic!

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  8:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Fannie-

I love the little house books and one of my favortie books is the "Farmer Boy" about Almonzo.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

2 Red Barns
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jamie
Bay City Michigan
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2007 :  05:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Give me muck boots and wool socks any day over high heels and pantyhose!!! And unfortunately, I probably know more about my manure spreader and how to operate it then my electric mixer....tee hee. I would have to say Farmgirl, Farmer Jamie, that horse lady...I've been called. This was a fun topic by the way...really enjoyed everyone's submissions. Jamie Ann
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:47:42 PM  Show Profile
Okay - this is off the subject a little bit, but in the next town's parade last year, there were kids riding in a manure spreader being pulled by a tractor, and my little boy said, "Look, mama, those kids are pretending to be manure!!!"

I love reading the "farmgirl" stories here, too!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  09:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ROFL! That is hilarious Libbie! And your kids knew what a manure spreader is! That is great!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Have you ever told anyone you were a... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page