Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Have you ever told anyone you were a...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Have you ever told anyone you were a... Next Topic
Page: of 3

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  7:27:04 PM  Show Profile
farmgirl...farm mom...farmwife...farmer?!?!? I've decided that from now on, when anyone asks me what I "do," I'm going to proudly announce that I'm a farmgirl or a farm mom. I've been told so many times by my grandmother that in order to make something happen, you need to begin by acting like it already has. So, here's to all of our dreams coming true!

Your farmgirl/farm mom/farmer friend,

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile
my neighbor calls me her neighbor farm witch. she is old and thinks its cute. I think SHE is cute.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  7:45:00 PM  Show Profile
I love it!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  8:12:06 PM  Show Profile
The other night I was at a youth thing at church (I am a leader) and had on my new John Deere hoodie (love that thing!!) and one of the 13 year old girls said..hey..here comes our farmgirl!!!! They all are so cute and have loved learning to make cheese and ice cream and different homemaking skills..little do they know I am grooming them to be "future farmgirls!!"

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  8:18:20 PM  Show Profile
yoohoo! as you gals have noticed I always sign my correspondences to ya'll with a "farmgal hugs" :0) have always considered myself a country girl/farmgirl...even though I've been stuck in the "city" for going on 17 yrs. my heart always has been in the country/longing for and creating as much as I can...a quieter/more relaxed/or as some might call it "old fashioned" way of life for myself and my family.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  9:23:24 PM  Show Profile
We may have lived out in the country and my kids were the same as the other country kids but they always were cowgirls. And Cowgirl Up is still their motto. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 18 2007 9:24:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  9:26:03 PM  Show Profile
I also live in the city, in a townhouse no less, but I love my overalls! Everyone who knows me knows I would rather spend time in the barn than time in the house. This year's favorite phrase of mine is..."I'm embracing my inner-farmgirl"

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  07:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am known by many as the farmgirl. I also give lots of hugs and share with my neighbors and friends. I have never been prouder to be anything in my life except of course the title of mom. My mom thinks its funny that my new big item on my wish list is a tractor!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  09:48:44 AM  Show Profile
fruit?

That's me: 3 F
FL Fruit Farmer.
Depending the season: honeybeller, grapefruitgoddess or mangomomma.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  10:01:34 AM  Show Profile
All the time. I am a farmer.

Robin
www.robinfollette.com
www.thymeforewe.com
www.mainenature.org
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  12:03:07 PM  Show Profile
It's funny that you bring this up........I was making a new resume, and I was posting the jobs i have had. My husband said, "why don't you have on there that you are a farmer?" I don't know why I didn't. I know that some people don't put it on their resume's that they are parents..i guess, well, I don't qute know what I am saying except that from now on, I will proudly state that first and formost, I am a farmer!!!

independent consultant with Epicure Selections www.epicureselections.com "Everyday gourmet simply by opening a jar!"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile
When people ask me that question I first decide can they take a joke? - if so, I have answered as "The Head Warden at the Funny Farm", or "I am a Fiber Farmer" that always get the questions going like "Is that like Soy, or Grains or WHAT" The next one I like is, "I am a Fiber Artist" which then is followed by "Is that some kind of New Age Nutrition Profession?" No matter what you call yourself - it is what is in your heart that defines you. Farmgirl, Farm Mother, Farm Divia we are all sisters with dirt under our fingernails and messy hair. Some of us even have goat slobber on our shirts.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  7:46:39 PM  Show Profile
My dad calls me his little chicken farmer....and he is addicted to my hen's farm fresh eggs...I have a full time job that takes me away from my full time passion of working my land...but I am now and will always be a farmgirl 1st and foremost :)
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  9:28:14 PM  Show Profile
I just love hearing all of your stories - it's so interesting and wonderful that we all share the "farmgirl" spirit, isn't it? That old thing about great minds thinking alike...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  04:40:00 AM  Show Profile
Not really, because I don't farm; I garden. I tell them I'm a horseman, or a trainer, or whatever fits their conception best.

Around here, a farmer is a person that has hundreds (if not thousands) of acres in beans, corn, hay, and/or livestock. They're producers for the commercial market. They have overhead like would give me nightmares. They work harder than I do for less than I do.

I do believe that being a farmgirl is a state of mind and heart. But I don't expect others (especially non-farmgirls) to understand that.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  05:27:16 AM  Show Profile
I dont think I have ever SAID it but I have been CALLED that! There is a lady at my school that is a 100% TRUE Farmgirl and she calls me her Crafty Farmgirl! I LOVE IT!

I agree with Mary Ann "that being a farmgirl is a state of mind and heart." but I feel that people will be able to see something different in you. Wheather they describe it with the word "farmgirl" or not I don't know but I do think they know ther is SOMETHING!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  07:04:09 AM  Show Profile
Maybe it's that extra "farmgirl glint" in the eye that I'm just SURE we all have!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  08:20:53 AM  Show Profile
My parents have told everyone I'm a farmer for years... and I used to try to stop them, feeling it was misleading. I was a gardener. Grace's answer gave me a chuckle, reminding me that when visiting Winterteur musuem, where the grounds are gorgeous, we were told that Henry(?) DuPont referred to himself as the Head Gardener when visitors unknowingly asked what he "did". How endearing.

There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Jan 20 2007 08:22:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  08:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Well in July of last year, I quit my job as a Supervisor in a call centre, and said that I wanted to be a mom and wife. I should have added or empahasized farmer.
My boss actually told me that she could not stay at home and do nothing all day....little does she know
I simply replied that I am more busy doing what I love now.
Do I miss the paycheck? Yes I do, however, when things are going the way I am hoping for (raising my own meat and gardening) why would I need a paycheck?

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  12:48:23 PM  Show Profile
I have been called the farm girl for years but my townies and city girlfriends - but it is a state of mind to me (I have lived in apartments off/on the last 25 years and not on a actual farm)

beckels
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  08:54:49 AM  Show Profile
I call myself a country girl because I don't have an actual farm, but since being part of this group, I've been feeling more like a farmgirl. Jim, my guy, is a farmer, so maybe by association I am too. I have disked and picked rocks out of the fields for him. He lets me drive the little Ford tractor. It's white, I want to paint it pink.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  12:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Funny, but I was just thinking yesterday how my sister had rolled her eyes at me one day calling me a total farm frau...lol! Well, I guess you had to see me that morning, in jeans that were too short, a button up shirt that no doubt belonged to City Boy (dh), and a pair of slip on shoes with white socks. Yes, I certainly did look like a farm frau that day...

But y'know, like some of you have said, I just don't think to say 'farmer' when people ask what I do. I mean, it's not like a huge, full time operation or anything. It's just me and a few sheep and a couple horses. I milk the sheep, but it's not like I spend all day on a ranch. Still, I think from now on I shall tell people I'm a farm frau...

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang!

http://wildaboutquietstorm.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Jan, anyone who has picked rocks in a field, even once, is a true farmgirl, to my way of thinking! Or filled a corncrib by husking corn by hand! Or baled hay and piled it in the barn!

I've got my farmgirl bumper sticker on my car, so there's no doubt in anyone's mind about who I am....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jan 22 2007 4:35:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  07:04:29 AM  Show Profile
when people ask me what I do or want to do, I simply say, " I cultivate". In the dictionary one of the many meanings of this word is to "nurture" to improve or develope something. To loosen the soil, to grow plants. I do that. I am only a farmer at heart but I am a gardener and I love growing things.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  7:22:27 PM  Show Profile
"Oh you live in the house on the hill with the chickens". That's how I am known except we don't live with the chickens they have their own house. I am also know as Susie Homemaker to my sister who owns her own business. I have my own business too and the pay is much better and longer lasting. At least that's what my children tell me.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  05:21:12 AM  Show Profile
This year on our taxes, my husband told the accountant, she is a farmer for her occupation. I cut the hay, plow fields, pick rocks, bale, plant,pull a calf, milk the cow, you name it I do it. Then there is the inside work. I could never work at a town job. I could not give up all the work I love to do. I have to remind myself that once in a while, when I am wore out. Michele
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Have you ever told anyone you were a... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page