Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  08:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok...results in from the Fair. A "Blue Ribbon". Not much for knitted entries...such a small fair. I plan on some handspun and a few more articles of knitted goods next year.

The funny part of it...we also get a cash prize. Last year a check was sent to me for just under $11...I had a quilt and a handspun, knitted tobbaggan hat entered. It will probably be just a few dollars this year...but always a good incentive to get more yarn.

Happy knitting, spinning and fair times...

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2004 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that funny? Our fair gives out cash prizes too. I have an $8 check! I wish there was a way for them to just have people sign the checks and collect them up to donate to some good cause. It's just more trouble than it's worth to cash such a small check.
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  09:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Ours does that too, but gives actual cash...someone stands there with a box of cash and passes it out when you pick up the entries at the end of the fair...that will be next Monday afternoon. Our fair is going on now. I will be able to go over to the fair grounds after 4pm today to see how my stuff did. They limited it to only 3 items per person could be entered...which made it hard to decide!! I guess a couple gals last year took advantage and one gal tried to enter 100 items!! I ended up choosing my salsa, pickled peppers and handspun yarn.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2004 :  9:14:22 PM  Show Profile
The salsa, pickled peppers and handspun yarn sounds like great choice entries for the fair, Jenny. I could see where they would put a limit on the items when someone tried to enter 100 items. Yikes. I have more "farmgirl" things that need to be done during the summer, so I end up with only one or two to put in.

Best of luck to you Jenny! I just like getting the ribbons to remind me how fun it felt to enter.

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  08:20:52 AM  Show Profile
I got two blue's and a red ribbon on my stuff..so I was happy with that. I always take a picture with my entries and their ribbons each year just for fun after I pick them up. Next year I want to enter a real "project". Something that took more time..like a neat knitted thing, or cross stitch or embroidery project or hooked rug or something. Alot of gals enter quilts. I always have a quilt going, but I am more interested in smaller, portable items.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  7:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Great ribbons Jenny. I am with you on the smaller, more portable items to enter into the fair. Quilts are lovely...and there are some very beautiful entries in those fairs. Just not up my crafting alley at this time.

I have several hooked rugs going (traditional hooked with wool yarns). Will I ever get them done. Hmmm...maybe I should make that a goal for next year.

Happy knitting...

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2004 :  10:31:27 PM  Show Profile
I hook with wool strips...and have done all the Christmas stockings for our family that way too..they sure look neat. All but mine, which is about 15 years old and cut from an old quilt..nice when I made it, but stands out like a sore thumb now. I may get around to making myself a stocking to match everyone else's this year. It seems each year we have added someone and I had to do theirs first. (Daughter in law, granddaughter, foster son, adopted kids and like that!) I love hooking rugs and just don't get the time lately..I need to do that!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2004 :  1:56:46 PM  Show Profile
I haven't tried making a quilt, though one on-going project is a lap robe I have been making from fabric scraps. The predominate color is blue and white. This project has been in the works now for about 3 years. I started out sewing scraps from old clothes I've had, in a patchwork pattern, onto 12" x 12" blocks of cloth. My mistake was in trying to embroider over all the seams! Once I started, I now have to keep going...the lap robe (which was going to be a patchwork quilt, but I decided it was too big to contemplate finishing), will be about 5 ft. x 5 ft. when it's done. It's now about 3/4 finished.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

blessed4431
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Joy
Rockville va
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  1:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon, I though I would say I'm new but wanted to add my two cents. I have been knitting socks using the magic needle method. I have been knitting dishcloths, shawls and making felted purses. I also have a sacrf I'm knitting for a christmas gift.

Have A Blessed Day
Joy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  10:11:03 PM  Show Profile
magic needle method???????please explain!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  06:34:07 AM  Show Profile
We started a knitting group (called the Knit Wits), about 3 months ago and to make it easy, we are all making dishcloths. I made 8 for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day, along with potholders to match (double the cotton.) They are still sitting in the basket on her dining room table because she says they are too pretty to use. And the stinky sponge is still by the sink. Ah, the best laid plans...
I am trying a "new" stitch- knit one, slip one, k1,s1...It makes a little bag, and is so cute. To bind off, just reverse the stitches, slipping your stitches onto another needle. It's like a magic trick.
My sisters were here for the Memorial Day weekend, and I taught my youngest sister to knit. Just us girls, sitting on the back deck, rain pattering on the roof, curled up under vintage quilts- knitting. Bliss. Knit on!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karin..I have done that stitch before!! I think it was a hat I did using it..and it was fun!! I will have to do that again hadn't thought about it in a long time..
your knitting group sounds so fuN!!!!
I make dishcloths all the time..always have one going..and give one with a bar of my homemade soap as a quick gift when I need one...I will have to do some potholders too..never considered that!!! Good idea!
Welcome, by the way!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  08:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny - Thank you for welcoming me to the group! I have quickly found that there are so many women like me out there. I'm beginning to think I am not as wierd as my children tell me I am!!
I love the idea of a homemade bar of soap. I will have to try that. In the meantime, I am stealing my sister's idea of a colander filled with dishcloths, dish soap and a veggie brush. Makes a nice little hostess gift.
Well, off to the garden.
Karin
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  09:06:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome Karin,
I have not done that stitch before. Do you cast on an even number of stitches or an odd number.?
I would like to try it. Sounds like a fun way to make a little bag to hang a bar of soap in for a shower bar.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eileen- It's a really fun stitch. You do cast on an even amount of stitches. A soap bag would be adorable. What a great idea for girl's camp to put in their bags! Or use at the outdoor faucet. Hmmmm. The wheels are turning.Looks like a trip for more yarn.
Let me know how you do with yours-
Karin
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  9:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I learned to knit when I was 5, taught by a favorite aunt. I made a few barbie things and when my aunt died I put it away. In college I got it out to help relieve stress and knit on until after the birth of my first child. Now, 23 years later I'm at it again.
I just finished a pile of cotton dish cloths and would like to work that same basic pattern in a huge afghan!
I'm into Elizabeth Zimmerman's books and videos and have knit a couple basic hats.
Haven't done socks yet, but who knows...

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  10:41:50 PM  Show Profile
finally got to knit again today. took two LONG weeks off from knitting because of my carpal tunnel and worked on the second sock of a pair I started awhile back. Just turned the heel.
Socks are for sure my favorite to knit! I have my next two pairs of socks to knit all planned already..got yarn for them my last trip up north. I do need to take it easy and not knit TOO very much for awhile though...it is sure hard. I love the relaxing feeling of knitting

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  10:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I also love working on socks, usually give most of them away as gifts, they seem to be very appreciated. I have recently started working on summer tops for myself. Seems almost selfish to say I am only knitting for myself these days. When I can find time away from the little one I think it makes me feel good to be making something for myself. I got this deal on 6 balls of yarn on ebay and wasn't sure how I would work them together until they arrived and sort of arranged themselves into this design. The front and back will be a little different as I was running out of the light blue yarn that makes up most of the body of the sweater. I also left the tops of the shoulders unfinished on the front so that if I ran out of the light blue while making the back I could add on a new yarn and complete the two pieces for a seamless join using kitchener stitch.

Here is a link to a picture of the front

http://www.tuschhoff.net/gallery/crafts/IMG_2804
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  06:20:40 AM  Show Profile
Your top is soooo cute Kathy! I hope I become that skilled at knitting someday!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  9:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare. I'm self taught so I really appreciate the compliment. I hardly ever work from a pattern technically. I basically just use them as guidelines. Once I have my measurements I just go on about my knitting. I like combining yarns and was especially pleased when this bundle of yarn arrived as it was much better looking in person than the picture would have led me to believe, but I figured for $6 I'd give it a shot.

I've got at least two more projects I want to get started but I made a deal with myself to finish this top first. I'm almost done.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  10:40:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow you got quite a deal..and the top is going to be so cute!!! I love the way the yarns look together!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  10:45:13 PM  Show Profile
I love your top too Kathy! The colors are so pretty together!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  08:02:46 AM  Show Profile
My Gram tried to teach me when I was young but I was having none of it! I admire all of you who knit so effortlessly and make it sound easy. I have self taught myself many things and alot came easy, but knitting to me is like I am reading hyroglyphics! I can knit and pearl but it doesn't go anywhere from there.
I saw something so cute this weekend I almost bought the kit even though I don't knit or crochet. It was a hat kit knit with fabric strips. I love wool but this looked cute for the summer. It was just a cloche style with a little floppy brim that I guess you could make as big as you like. I thought those of you with girls would think it was cute too. It was just strips of unfinished fabric and I guess the knitting keeps it from unraveling. What a great way to reuse clothes you've outgrown or lost interest in but still like the colors of the fabric. My knitting friend who was with me is going to try it without "the kit". Anyone out there tried this yet?

Kathy, I liked the picture of your top (and your little helper!)Is the textured portion two yarns knit together or just one ? The colors are soft and muted, I like them! The knit seems to be very small and fine so you must be using fairly thin knitting needles. I hope you get this done soon so you can start on the next project! And thanks for sharing your pictures.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  08:57:08 AM  Show Profile
I just saw an example of knitting with cotton cloth last week. The "trick" was cutting the strips on the bias so they don't fray, but you do get a nice "fuzzy" edge. I think I'd like to try it. The strips looked to be about 1/2" wide.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  9:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, thanks for the praise. I used four different yarns. From the bottom of the picture up, the light blue yarn is Katia Flash, a ladder ribbon yarn, a steel blue ribbon yarn by Pinguoin, the ladder ribbon yarn again and then a silver yarn by Schachenmayr Nomotta, the ladder ribbon yarn again and then more of the Katia Flash. I've finished the back and just need to add a little more length to the front shoulders and all that will be left is to put it all together. Plenty of time left in the summer to get lots of wear out of it.

I did work on a furry scarf using Filitura Di Crosa Hopla yarn, a very soft fluffy yarn that worked up super fast. Two skeins was plenty for a long scarf.

I've also got two or three more projects that are awaiting completion.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page