Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  08:09:53 AM  Show Profile
That will be fun Jenny. We had knitting after work at the school from February to April, on Wednesdays. If you could show up, great, if not, catch up the following week. I was able to get several teachers on their way to knitting scaves and hats. A few even tried a lacey scarf pattern I had too. Life is good when you can share these valuable skills. Please keep us posted on how the classes go.

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  09:04:46 AM  Show Profile
There have been many newspaper articles in our region lately about kids (both girls and boys, teachers and janitors) in schools learning to knit. The kids actually choose this as a recess activity and they will sit in the hallways and knit away, quite content. The people organizing these "knit-ins" are starting to organize donation drives, etc.. for supplies to keep the kids going. What a wonderful outlet for their creativity, and a calming activity that they can pursue just about anywhere.
Kudos to those who are the creators of these programs!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  7:14:41 PM  Show Profile
It's interesting isn't it, this knitting phenomenon? What do you think is the reason for it? I just came home from our annual Sheep to Shawl at the county fair and people are so much more aware of what it is we do and so much more familiar with yarn than a few years ago. It always seems funny to me because it's such a big part of my life I take it for granted. BTW the sheep to shawl is spinning and weaving, although most of us knit too, we get a clean fleece, then we have several spinners and one weaver working till a shawl is done.
I'm wondering Jenny & Sherrie have you ever knit socks on two circular needles, or even one? I'm getting requests for this in my class and I've never done it, but I hear it's easier for beginners than balancing 4 dp's. Any thoughts?
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life

Edited by - ElizArtist on Aug 06 2004 7:17:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  7:56:49 PM  Show Profile
There has been a renewed interest in knitting in the midwest too. Classes offered, etc. I crochet, but have only admired knitting. Maybe I will learn this time around.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile
I have only done socks on dp's. I use 5. I have heard of people doing it on the circulars..which I love by the way for other stuff...I should try it I guess.
I would love to go to a sheep to shawl some time..what fun.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  08:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, there are two methods for the circulars...I suggest seeing if your local library carries the book, "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: a Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns". My knitting buddy has this book, not I, but she taught me the technique, nice to work with once you get the concept down. Also great for sleeve ribs too. The other book, which is more of a pamphlet type is "Magic Loop", which uses only one circular needle, usually 40" length and hard to come by in the size you usually need unless you can find it online or a knitting store that is just crazy about the technique. I have this booklet...though I have done the two circ. needles alot more.

I have a pair (two socks at one time) going on a set of two circular needles. Its somewhere in my craft loft crying to be completed. I am about four inches down the leg and using Opal Sock yarn in "Bumble Bee". I need to get those done before November to wear at the knitting retreat.

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  08:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Grammaj...the trend does seem to be going around, again. Hollywood has jumped into the scene...all these actresses knitting up simple scarves in designer, fun yarns and putting it into a book, "Celebrity Scarves". Again, I borrowed it from the library after I saw Darryl Hannah on the cover on a Inter. Knitters mag a year or so ago. There's another book, "Hollywood Knits", that features a high end yarn shop that the celebs visit...again, more actresses, but only modeling the projects.

OK...can you tell I have a knitting book fetish. After years of always buying, buying, buying...thinking I was going to get all these projects done, I have a new system that says yes or no to putting it permanently into my library...there must be no less than three (for a small book or magazine) and half of the projects for a larger book that I like, love or know I will make before I can buy it. Not everything suits my taste...so this is helpful to weed out the ones I really don't need.

I am also an avid library patron...our local county library is 100% better than the Tacoma City Library. I can get videos, new books that haven't even made it to the shelves yet, put on hold for my eyes to look upon. They are great about keeping up with the current titles, getting at least one or sometimes more, of the newest book out on the market. A good way to preview before I buy.

I have the second book of Sally Melvilles from her The Knitting Experience Series, Book 2: The Purl Stitch, but I have checked the first one out many times from the library and finally decided I needed to order it, Book 1: The Knit Stitch. It's at the post office, but they are a 9-5, M-F post office, so I think I am out of luck until Monday. Bummer.

Sorry for my rattlings-on...as I said before, knitting makes my world go round.

Sherrie

Edited by - Sherries Farm on Aug 07 2004 08:40:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile
Sherrie - thanks for the book recommendations! Just what I need to move me along the knitting way...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  07:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips on deciding what to keep for my library. Needed that. We will retire and move withing a couple of years to the beautiful boundary waters area probably. Wish I could..but must not take everything. Simplify..simplify.
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  09:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Todays the day to turn in my entry to the county fair. Yeah! I don't know why I get so nervous...everyone gets a ribbon. Never too many entries. Probably because it is such a small fair. I prefer it that way...as our big Western Washington Fair is so huge, so commercial...it's just a dollar pit!

I should try to get oldest dd to knit something up for next year to enter. I'm sure she would get a kick out of it being displayed and a ribbon. Such a feeling of accomplishment. There are alot of young ladies that have knit and sewn some great things, most of them are in 4-H. One year, two young girls made a spinning wheel. Wow. I was impressed. They were there to spin and show how it worked.

Off to knit the little angora scarf I started yesterday. Then...I am going to get the gauge swatch started for the Einstein Coat. (fingers crossed ladies that I can get that done today) :)

Happy knitting.

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  12:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I'm not really on this site all the time. Just waiting for the juice to drain from my apples, for the next batch of jelly. So,Sherrie, what is your entry to the fair?
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  12:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh...apple jelly. Nummy! My entry for the fair this year is a Fair Isle Hat knit in wool. I started it Thursday and finished it up Friday night. Got it blocked and talk about cutting it close. :)

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Our fair entries have to be in by Aug 23. I really need to get a project finished..maybe those socks? I have 6 different home canned things to enter, and the kids want to enter plates of cookies, bread and a cake that they will bake with supervision ( a 7 , 8 and 9 year old) I will be entering some stuff from the garden too, and some handspun wool yarn.
Maybe some soap too...It is a small fair here and so fun to see if you got a blue, red or sweepstakes ribbon. I think everyone gets at least a red!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  5:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I am having a hard time with knitting the socks on circular needles, I realized that I like the feel of the longer needles in my hands and it's hard to grip and control stitches with the shorter circulars. I'm perfectly happy knitting with 4 or 5 needles, but people have requested this for the knitting class, so I feel obligated to learn it. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of "socks soar on two circular...." book I ordered it from amazon last week.
Our county fair is on now too. We had the Sheep to Shawl, with 13 spinners and 1 weaver we were finished making the shawl by 3pm. We auctioned the shawl off for $500! Our guild booth is on cotton, it won 2nd place and is really beautiful and informative, I didn't do anything to help make it I'm sorry to say. On the Spinning competition, I took the blue ribbon in the intermediate catagory and next year will have to move up to advanced (hmmm, I'm conspiring to distract the competition! lol). I won a 1st place for a handwoven tank top, 2nd for a handwoven skirt, a 2nd for a skein of pink wool & silk, and 2 honorable mentions for an overshot evening bag, & a knitted vest. I didn't have a lot to enter as I give most of what I make away! Good luck to all with your fair entries!
Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  9:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I was excited for you in reading your Fair awards. What fun! I am in awe! I have washed, picked, carded,spun, just a smidge. Woven on a tapestry loom, just a smidge. When I get to a fair or show, I nearly run to the exhibit hall to check out the talent in textiles. Maybe that's what I do best..admire. I love the idea of working with fiber start to finish.

By the way, I would like to raise a couple of angora rabbits for spinning. (But, I am afraid of handling critters). Do you cut the hair or brush it? I think I would brush it. Three of my grandaughters have very long hair, and have it cut periodically for "locks of love". I'm considering trying to spin or weave some of it. I have spun and woven with dog's hair. That turned out nice.

Speaking of fear of handling critters..my husband and I raised chickens for the organic eggs many years ago. I was afraid to go into the chicken house to get the eggs, so somehow the chickens were trained to come out of the house when I whistled. I would go in and get the eggs. Then, I would whistle again, and they would all march back inside. I love the many varieties of the birds, and always see them at the fair, but I am afraid to handle them. Must admire from afar. sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  9:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Wow Elizabeth...that sure seems like a lot of great entries to me...esp. compared to my one hat. LOL Jenny, wishing you and the kids lots of luck at your fair. Great for the kids to enter items.

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  2:10:22 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited about knitting socks with the circular needles now! I was so stubbornly holding onto the old way of doing things. Silly me, this is great. For about the last month I've been trying to figure out how to do this myself, some friends tried to explain, but never had the time to actually show me how to do it. What an epiphany! I can't believe I've made this major change in less than 24 hours! So for those that don't know all you do is put 1/2 the stitches on each circular needle and you use only one of the needles at a time. The yarn keeps going around the circle but not the needles.
On angora rabbits, you just pluck the hair every few weeks. I don't have any right now, but plan to get some more. Yes they can nip at you if they are tired of being plucked, is that why you are afraid to handle them? I think that if you hold them a lot from when they are young they are pretty tame. Chickens are fun, I have to go outside and get eggs in a little while.
I guess that is a lot of entries to the fair, but we are in danger of loosing our catagory if enough people don't enter. And we haven't had that many folks participate. I just threw some stuff into a bag at the last minute before we left to enter and didn't do anything I thought was very spectacular this year. Next year I'll focus more.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  5:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Never tried holding a rabbit to give it a chance to nip. Same with chickens. Must be a "childhood thing" oh, well. Maybe I can try some day raising a rabbit from small on up. My husband had dwarfs and a beautiful french lop, but I did not handle them. Anyway, if you focus any more on the fair, you'll probably end up with grand prize over all. That would be fun though.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  6:27:37 PM  Show Profile
I have always found that angora rabbits are much calmer than other rabbits. Alot!! And you can trim with scissors if plucking sort of bothers you...I do both. Mine have usually fallen asleep while I harvest their wool. All but my buck Toby, the only one I have now. He is a stinker. ...but still..he has a pretty butterscotch coat and I am more stubborn than he is.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  9:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny. I am always up to a challenge. Maybe I will have that rabbit someday. Well, the apple butter is out of the canner. So, I can roll into bed, only to roll out at 6 tomorrow. And, guess what! A co-worker is going to begin teaching me to knit tomorrow! (on break). Yippy!
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2004 :  08:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Yeah Judith!!! Let us know how the knitting lesson goes and never give up. While teaching the knitting class I had to tell them to loosen their shoulders...go "jello" as they would get so tense and then the tension was tighter than a corset.

Happy knitting...

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2004 :  9:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Well, Sherrie, it's a couple of days later than planned. (lots going on at the office, but I am off to work tomorrow with brand new #8 knitting needles, a pretty little ball of varigated cotton yarn, and a pattern for a dishcloth. I'm excited! If I get the hang of this, I also found a pattern for a knitted headband (beginner skill level) using "fun fur". That would be a nice tuck in gift for my 5 grandaughters. Somehow, it is so much easier finding something for them than for my grandson.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  07:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Here's a NEW KNITTER ALERT! I am a new knitter, so this is for all my kindred souls out there just beginning on this journey. My daughter and her girlfried are interested in learning to knit dishrags (they saw me working on one recently). So I went to my local craft store (CRAFT WAREHOUSE) to buy them the same knitting needles that I use and some fun varigated cotton yarn. I went to the knitting needle display and started looking and the size needles I'm using were not there!! I inquired and apparently knitting needles have styles too (who knew!), which get updated and discontinued. They pointed me in the direction of the clearance aisle, and there I found some-actually quite a large variety for half off the last marked sale price. So I picked up a variety of needles for $1.50 a pair. I use the Susan Bates brand which I like and find lightweight enough that my hands can work with them well. I specifically use the #3-10 inch size (apparently not being made anymore)...and find that this gives me a good gauge given my tension of the yarn. So girls, if you're contemplating knitting and need supplies, check it out in your local craft store. I had also just been buying my cotton yarn at various discount stores around town and found that the craft store had a huge variety (much more choices) of color at better prices.

Edited by - Clare on Aug 13 2004 07:22:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by grammaj482004

I also found a pattern for a knitted headband (beginner skill level) using "fun fur". That would be a nice tuck in gift for my 5 grandaughters. Somehow, it is so much easier finding something for them than for my grandson.

Grammaj...yes, it is way easier to create for girls than boys...though my son does like to wear the winter hats I knit for him. So good to hear you are getting started on a dishcloth. The comments I have heard after teaching others to knit, "what a lifesaver...sitting in the doctors office went sooooo much faster while I was knitting" or "I feel less stressed after I knit".

If I don't get in some knitting everyday...I'm probably sick. I'm not the biggest t.v. watcher...though there are a few shows I enjoy and love PBS...but DH is...so I sit in my wing chair and knit...just listening to the t.v.

Happy knitting....

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  08:03:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Clare

I picked up a variety of needles for $1.50 a pair. I use the Susan Bates brand which I like and find lightweight enough that my hands can work with them well. I specifically use the #3-10 inch size (apparently not being made anymore)...and find that this gives me a good gauge given my tension of the yarn. Natural

Clare...wonderful price, esp. since the girls are just beginning and you just don't know if they will hang with it or pick it up later in life. Clover Bamboo needles are a bit more pricey, but have just started coming out making their straight pairs in 9 - 10 inch lengths. I'm thinking Lion Brand is also putting out a shorter version of those wild colored needles they have on the market. As a child, I had to learn to knit on needles that were extra long...esp. for a little girl. I started my dd's out with the shorter versions, and it just works better for their stature.

Let us know how teaching the girls to knit go...it's fun when you can get a group in for a project.

Happy knitting...

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page