ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  3:43:45 PM  Show Profile
So how many of us are knitters? Probably all. What are you making? I am making some scarves for display in a friend's yarn shop, and am almost done with the second one, I can't wait. Then I'm going to finish the fingers on my son's gloves. Even though he lives in Seattle he won't need them till Fall. I am spinning some luxuriously smooth merino wool in dark blue and greys that I will knit into a sweater for my husband. He doesn't know though, it's a surprise. He is pretty tolerant of me and all my hobbies and equipment that have taken over most of our house and I wanted to give him something special.
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  3:46:29 PM  Show Profile
I ordered some yarn to knit a fabulous tanktop/camisole featured on the cover of a book I bought filled with vintage-inspired patterns. I can't wait, it's going to be gorgeous, and way fun to knit -- my first real pattern project!

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  4:30:18 PM  Show Profile
I love to knit. My aunt taught me when I was 7 years old. I am still not a "fancy" knitter though. I mostly knit socks, and always have a pair going..my car project for when I have to wait somewhere..seems to happen alot!!
I am knitting a pullover raglan sleeve sweater for my second son (just turned 24) right now. It is soft and has a rolled neck and I love it. He is so tall though it is taking forever to get those long long sleeves done! Hopefully I will be done soon. I can't wait to get to the next project. I am helping a freind finish an afghan that her grandma started. It will be a special gift for her sister.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Susan
New Port Richey FL
14 Posts

Posted - May 22 2004 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile
I have just finished knitting a baby receiving blanket for my first great grandchild that will be born in June in Duluth, MN. I used Red Heart Baby Teri yarn for the first time and it works up like a dream!
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2004 :  5:48:32 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago I found this colorful kite string at the hardware store and decided to buy it even though I had no idea what to use it for. I just came up with the idea to knit a hammock for my husband for Father's Day so far it's 4 feet wide and about 10 inches long. I have 11 days! I'd better get back to knitting and get off the computer!

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  6:43:24 PM  Show Profile
This hammock may take until next Father's Day!
Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  7:47:24 PM  Show Profile
I haven't knitted much lately but I did make myself a nice scarf this past winter; not only was it a lot cheaper to make it myself, but it's the exact color and size I needed! I'm just now looking for the right yarn to make some potholders. I used to do them on a hand loom, but I need something larger, so I'll just do it myself.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  11:33:52 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever made those kind of knitted potholders that are a big oversized square, and then you fold each corner in to the middle and stitch in place..making it doubled with an X in the center of one side? I used to make them alot..and forgot about them until you mentioned potholders..hmmmmmm and I could use some too!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  06:07:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea Jenny! Maybe I can graduate from dishcloths to potholders in a purl stitch! I think my biggest holdup in progressing, besides wrestling with the knitting stitch, is learning to read the directions with the abbreviations and all... and then just practicing. I bought a pattern book with about 15 different directions for dishcloths and they look so cute. ... however, I haven't successfully mastered even the easiest one, which I've tried on several occasions, too. I guess I just need to have more patience and practice more... hmmmm sounds rather like piano playing and reading sheet music, doesn't it? I'm sure there's a much bigger lesson in all this for me! Maybe it'll occur to me soon!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on Jun 30 2004 06:09:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  07:59:34 AM  Show Profile
I haven't done any knitting in years. I learned to knit right handed first but later learned left handed knitting and found that much easier to master, control tension, etc. I still have a couple of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting books which are great! There is also a book called The Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee that i used quite a bit. There is something called The Sweater Sampler at the beginning of that book that is a terrific learning experience. All of these books are about 20 years old so i don't know if they are still in print but you might check the library. I figure one of these days when i slow down a little i will find more time to see if my arthritic hands will let me knit, might be good for them. With left handed knitting the wrist is used a bit more than the fingers so i might be able to do it okay.

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  11:32:13 AM  Show Profile
You can still get Elizabeth Zimmerman's book Knitting Without Tears at most any book store. I think it belongs on every knitter's book shelf. She was very humorous and the instructions are easy to follow. Directions in general can be hard to follow and I found that they go through trends so you have to keep up on reading them to learn the new "code". Used to be all the instructions were spelled out in words (with the abbreviations, of course), and in recent years there are a lot more charts to follow. This was a difficult change for me because I could repeat a pattern stitch in my head , you know knit 2, knit 2 together, yarn over type of thing, and memorize it pretty well; but I couldn't memorize a chart, so I started writing the directions out next to charts and that helps a lot. Clare-do you have knitting friends in your area that can help you get over the hurdle of reading patterns? A couple of years ago I started meeting with a group and we knit on Fridays and have tea at a cafe. We call it our "Knitting Circle" but now there are lots of Stitch n [bleep] groups forming all over the place.

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  2:35:56 PM  Show Profile
I just looked at the new issue of knitty, the online knitting magazine, and Clare...there is a pattern for a sleep mask in garter stitch! the address is knitty.com
Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  3:17:04 PM  Show Profile
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATTvelvetoblivion.html

Oh! My! Elizabeth! That looks sexier than I've considered being in a long time!! haha... but maybe I'm overdue for my Audrey Hepburn moment! I may give it a try! Maybe we should all make one... it could be the farmgirl equivilent of sexy... hmmmm, I may have to get creative! Thanks for sharing!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  4:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Just sharing.... I took some time over the long weekend and worked on K1, P1.... I finally got the K1 down, altho it's not as fluid as the P1.. I decided to try an 'easy' dishcloth pattern...haha, even in the easy one I had to teach myself to knit two together then do a right twist,... but amazingly enough, I can see the pattern emerging from my work. Granted, it does not look nearly as nice as the picture example, but hey- practice, practice, practice, right?! I am encouraged enought to keep going and see how it turns out... and then I may frame it to remind myself that I had to start somewhere!

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2004 :  5:13:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh well, when it's only dishcloths I'm working on, I just do the old K1 thru the entire piece until it's the size I want! Or for a variation, P1, or K1 P1 instead. Whatever get the dishes clean!

Cecelia Happy Knitting to All! Keep your needles cool!

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2004 :  3:19:31 PM  Show Profile
I have never used hand knitted dishcloths but I think now I will. Just to slow my hammock down some more... I started knitting a poncho/shawl that was in a book called "Weekend Knits". This was a test, I wanted to see if I could really knit one of the patterns in a weekend. Maybe I knit slow I didn't sit down and knit straight through the weekend but took my knitting with me everywhere I went (including The Chronicles of Riddick, I was actually able to knit in the dark, and take a nap during that movie but my husband enjoyed it) and I only got about 16" out of 59" done. Oh well maybe it's a two weekend pattern. Clare, I'm very happy that you got the knit stitch down. Yes it's all practice.

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2004 :  8:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, knitting in the dark - I can't imagine that. But I probably would have fallen asleep during The Chronicles of Riddick. Maybe we should start a topic on movies next!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile
Ah...knitting makes my world go round! Currently, I have way too many projects on needles...hats, scarves, socks somewhere in my craft loft.

I have my yarn ready for the Einstein Coat from Sally Melvilles book. Looking forward to getting that going, but need to work on those other small projects. I have a small space I rent
in a crafters mall to sell my handknits...that seems to take most of my time these days.

I really need to get back to knitting for "me"

P.S. I take my knitting with me everywhere I go, "never leave home without it."

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Edited by - Sherries Farm on Aug 03 2004 4:15:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  11:31:31 PM  Show Profile
I always have a small project (usually socks) along in the car. You never know when you have to wait...and I don't think I have ever watched a kids soccer, basketball, football or baseball game without knitting !!!
I am glad I am not the only one!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  1:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, did you get the "looks" or the "ahs" at those games? I did at first...then the other parents or game watchers were able to get past that I just wasn't completely watching the game. Though...baseball had me sitting back a bit further so those 11 year olds didn't get me on the head. :) I figure why not knit while waiting during the ortho appts, the long car rides (keeps me from complaining to dh about his lookie-loo habits while driving). I go nuts if I forget to bring my knitting with me to work...as it takes 10 minutes to eat and that leaves me 20 minutes to be creative...why sit and stare at the person across the table...we can chat while I k1,p1.

Finished the red and white snowflake hat last night. I try to put a handknit item in the local county fair each year...Sunday is the day to turn items in, so, I am going to get knitting on a lacy, white scarf in a mohair/acrylic type yarn. I have some mohair I could spin up, but not enough time for that.

Who do you usually make socks for? Yourself, the family, friends? I am overdue to get a pair of wool socks done for my 11 yo dd. I'll make that my "back to work" project in a week or so.

Happy knitting.

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  1:38:52 PM  Show Profile
So, as a novice knitter, I have to ask about wool socks. Are these the big bulky variety, or are they a more slender style? I just imagine having to have a size larger shoe or boot to accomodate the heavier variety. Thanks for educating me!

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  5:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Clare, thin or bulky...just a matter of choice. I like worsted weight wool yarns for my winter boots, my feet snuggle right in. Working with a sock weight yarn just takes a bit longer, I usually use a size 2 needle. The worsted weight is great for sandels, i.e. Burk's.

100% wool socks tend to wear faster, unless the heels and toes are made with an extra thread to insure a longer wear.

I read somewhere that to use a red wool in the last few inches of the toe to tell the washer "stop, handwash me". And a green for the washing machine. :)

Happy knitting....

Sherrie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile
I must have the same books as you Sherrie..I remember reading that too. I mostly knit socks for gifts, but I am due to keep a pair. I use my own handspun mostly..I use about size 3 or 4 needles for it..so it is lighter than worsted weight, but sock yarn is thinner for sure. I am knitting a pair right now with commercial sock yarn and they are taking forever. I think they will be for my mom. They are varigated and cute..one of those yarns that make a fair isle pattern as you knit. Alot of times I spin yarn with a ply of wool and a ply of angora for socks..they are so soft and warm. Those arn't very thick, but most people would use them for slippers anyway. I did knit 6 pairs for a backpacking store to sell one Christmas..that was fun. I was surpised that folks would pay so much for socks.
And ...yes! I do get the "looks" from people when I knit at the kids games. I don't usually have projects with me that I have to look at constantly and after awhile they do get used to seeing me knitting.
I don't have any kids playing soccer this year...that will be weird. The girls chose piano and dance instead, and my youngest son chose to play basketball and baseball this year (I allow two sports each shcool year, or one extra thing apeice at any one time) But there are always those opportunities to wait and knit!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick hello to you all! I've been so busy getting ready to teach a sock knitting class (of all things), that I haven't had much time for going online. I am working on some original patterns and samples to go into a workbook for the students. Also, busy with dance workshops. I guess summer is just a busy time.
Clare- I usually use commercial sock yarn it's not that thick and any where from #0 - #3 needles.
I've always been a public knitter too, when my kids were in lessons I got a lot more done. Now that I don't drive them around any more it's harder to make time to knit when I'm home, I often feel I should be doing something else! I do spin with a hand spindle in public sometimes and that actually gets a lot more stares from people than knitting.
Back to work! Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  10:06:27 PM  Show Profile
I guess I will have public knitting time for awhile. I still have a 9 year old, eight year old and 7 year old at home. I am in the prime taxi service years with these guys. (my second group of kids..older three are grown) I love the idea of spindle spinning in public. I need to get better at it first though...I would give spinning a bad name right now. I am much better with a wheel. I am teaching a small group of 4 gals from church beginning knitting this month. That will be fun..and challenging I am sure. I have a friend who also knits coming to help out a little. I have a soapmaking class to teach too this month...just a one time thing at my home. Should be fun..that is a much bigger group though..I think I have 12 signed up. My kitchen will be full!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  03:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, so glad to see you checking back in on the boards - missed you! Thanks for the sock knitting info everyone!
Clare

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page