Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Somebody stop me!! Pictures :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Somebody stop me!! Pictures :) Next Topic
Page: of 3

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karin,they are beautiful!!!
Makes me want another hobby!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  12:03:55 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I like your taste! They're great, and I think talking to the sweaters was a good idea. You might become rich on these babies.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  12:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Well, just got back from "The Thrifty Quaker" and am I ever glad I rushed over there today. Today was Wacky Wednesday and all purple, blue, green and orange tagged items were only fifty cents!!! So I walked out with two stuffed full bags of 100% wool sweaters with gorgeous colors and woven patterns!! I'll take a snapshot and post them on my blog later today. Well, Karin, you got me started!! LOL.....let's see you are in Georgia and I am in Virginia....Hmmmm......we shouldn't be grabbing each other's customers!

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
Looking forward to what comes of your shrunken sweaters, makes me want to do the same. Like I need another project!! Anyway make sure we get to see what you made. How cute they are, and the colors you can make are endless.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  1:12:52 PM  Show Profile
OOOOHHH Georgann- I am jealous!! Wish I could come up there and go shopping with you! :) I don't believe our customer base will cross paths, but I sure hope we do one day!!
Have fun!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  1:29:58 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
I hope our paths cross too! I am going to seek out the wool now! LOL.....I'll send you what I can't use, because if I get as many wool sweaters as I have patterns, I'll be hearing baaahhhhhhh, baaaaahhhhhhh coming from my workroom soon! LOL

Oh, I posted the sweaters and the gorgeous fifty cent dress on my blog. Just click the link below.
G

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  2:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Purses for Nurses....lol...

I may have to make a Nag Bag... for my self, of course...

hey....there's an idea...I can make one and fill it with little pieces of paper that have 'honey-dos' (and kiddie-dos) on them...then when my husband or kids say they're bored they can just pick one and they have to do it...no more nagging from Mom...

Whadaya think?

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  3:10:23 PM  Show Profile
really like the purses, they turned out so cute!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  3:17:49 PM  Show Profile
PURSES FOR NURSES! I love it. I'm sure they will, too.

Be sure to do a white one with black velvet trim, for old time's sake -- I mean, since you've started some of them thinking about that sort of thing...
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  7:32:20 PM  Show Profile
I love those bags...now I am going to have to stop by the goodwill and get some wool sweaters and become creative

beckels
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have a question about sewing the wool after it is felted. Do I just sew it up like regular fabric or do I need to do a special stitch? Sorry, I am sewing slow so please bear with me. Thanks for all the great ideas!!!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
They look fantastic! I love them. And it is OK to talk to sweaters (or jumpers as we call them here) - I talk to all my craft projects (and stroke and pet them!)
Just a question re felting - have you had any that just won't felt? I made a 100% wool jumper which was then meant to be felted, and it just won't 'take'. Does anyone have any ideas? I did read somewhere that some wool has been finished with something that actually stops it felting, so I guess this has that in it. Does anyone know how to get rid of it or felt it anyway?
Thanks so much and once again, love those bags, you clever thing,
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:54:31 PM  Show Profile
catscharm- You just sew it regular. I sewed my hat seams with a straight stitch, but then I trimmed the edges and zi-zagged over them...however this isn't necessary.

Keep it up, you'll get better!
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  04:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Jayne,
I was reading about the felting and you can always try beating it, or rubbing it to rough it up, then poor the hottest water you can get over it in the washer and add just a little dishwashing liquid to it. Then rinse it in cold water. One of the sweaters that I have is acting tough. It is starting to felt...after 4 cycles, but I didn't know about the dishwashing liquid soap, so back into the washer today! Three of them felted right down quickly and the fabric really tough and thick. I've read about that fabric too, perhaps you did get one of those pieces.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  04:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Just found this wool site with great information on felting and making felt pin cushions and balls. Also how to do handfelting etc. Great photos too.

http://gfwsheep.com/felting/felt.html

G

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Jayne- That is strange that your sweater will not felt. When I put mine in the washer, I add laundry soap. It seems to work well. I have noticed that if I have a very fine knit sweater, it will take longer to felt up. It must be something in the yarn. I add soap each time I run it through the wash, just to remove anything that might prevent it from grabbing. It may take you a few times and a lot of patience.
G- great site!! Thanks for posting it!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:05:33 PM  Show Profile
They are so nice~ I am so impressed! I'm going second hand shopping next week and have wool sweathers on my list! Thank you for the pictures! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:16:17 PM  Show Profile
My girl freinds have been talking about felting old sweaters for weeks and now I think I get it. How cute! They look pretty easy, I will have to share this bit of info with them. Thanks! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Karin,
Those are so cute-I'm so glad you posted pictures. What a fantastic way to reuse wool sweaters!

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:47:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[i]
If life gives you scraps, make quilts!

Which makes me wonder -- would felted sweaters make a warm quilt, or what!?!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:52:36 PM  Show Profile
You see? This could get out of hand, all the ideas for things to make. With all the power outs we have been having a wool quilt might be a good thing to have.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  8:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Georagann and Karin,
I'll give it another try - maybe I just gave up on it too quickly!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  10:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Jayne, it took 4 runs through for mine to come out nice...what I did was use HOT water, some detergent and used the heavy-duty was cycle. I let them agitate but not drain, then reset the wash cycle for them to agitate through the cycle again, then drain, rinse, etc...
I did that process twice, for 4 agitation cycles.
After the first 2, the were somewhat felted, but nothing compared to the end result.

Faith

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  08:53:54 AM  Show Profile
Ok, just finished my first purse. If you would like to see it, click on my blog line below and then click on the topic about my first sweater purse. Can't do anymore until next week. I have to work nights tonight and tomorrow, so sewing will be put off for a few days. I do have the linings picked out for the other purses though. I'll try to add those to my blog so you can see the combinations.

Later!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  12:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Cute, cute, cute! I finished another last night. I will try to get a picture and post it. Aren't they fun to do?

Karin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Somebody stop me!! Pictures :) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page