Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Somebody stop me!! Pictures :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Somebody stop me!! Pictures :) Next Topic
Page: of 3

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  1:14:45 PM  Show Profile
Very nice, Aunt George!
I like those pockets inside.
Did you stitch those in before you sewed the sides together?

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  1:39:14 PM  Show Profile
That's terrific, Georgann! What a clever idea to use the ribbed parts that way. You gals are making me feel my Craft Deficits too keenly! How on earth do you find the time, let alone the talent, to whip these things out the way you do! Sheesh!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  1:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, I saw the ribbed cuffs lying in the discard pile and was about to cut pockets from addidtional lining fabric, when I thought I'd give them a try as inside pockets...found out an additional feature of the ribbing at the top of the pocket, it grips the things you slide into them! Cool Huh? Now my chapstick, phone and keys will never get lost in the bottom of my purse again!

Faith, I sewed them onto each side of the lining before sewing the sides together. One could just open a cuff up, lie it down then sew sections so instead of individual pockets, it would be a row of pockets. I think that is what I shall do in the large tote.

Karin they really are fun to do, and you are right the design is dictated by the shape of the fabric...just let it talk to you and don't try to force anything! This one was actually heavy enough when felted down that it didn't really need a lining, but I put one in anyway. What is really cute is that inside one of the rib pockets...the larger one is part of the neck ribbing...is the Abercrombie and Fitch 100% wool tag. I thought that was a nice touch, since Abercrombie and Fitch is such a popular young person's clothing store! LOL

Oh, and Rosemary...Gotta give the credit to Karin about the idea! But finding the time...hmmm...do a few chores, stitch a handle, mop the floor, stitch the other handle...do a load of laundry, fix dinner....stitch the lining together! LOL. Watched an old Dean Martin movie while I finished this one today. LOL....shoulda' been doing something else though. Your cookbook went out in the mail today.

Thanks for checking out my purse and thanks for the inspiration Karin. I wanted to get one done today so that I can take it in to work tonight, and hopefully get some orders for more purses.

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  2:34:59 PM  Show Profile
How cute are these? WOW! I sew need to get my sewing machine out. I loved how you used the cuffs as pockets, very smart.
I havent been crafting much lately, and you girls always inspire me. Thanks!

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  3:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Soooo, On the quilt idea, I'm guessing it doesn't fray when it's been felted right? If that's the case, you wouldn't have to back it, it could kinda be like the rag quilts. That gets the ideas flowing! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  3:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Mine didn't fray when cut after felting the sweaters. Say, I saw a felted sweater quilt online the other day, really cute! And I bet it is sure warm!! the felted seams are a wee bit bulky though.
G

Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  10:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
Hello, all! The quilted sweater blanket talk caught my eye--there is a blanket built completely of "reclaimed" wool sweaters in Alterknits by Leigh Radford. I have been dying to make a version of it for myself. My boyfriend, sweetheart that he is, even tried to help. He grabbed a bag full of knit sweaters from a yard sale for me. The only problem? Most of them are blends that won't felt! Poor guy, he was so proud of himself. Now he's sworn to 100% wool finds only. =) As soon as we have enough, we're going for it.

Live joyfully, deliberately, simply, abundantly.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  10:19:24 AM  Show Profile
If I did a patchwork blanket out of felt, I would lap the seams. I think that would keep them neater and not as bulky at the straight seams, and they would lay flat.
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  12:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Here are the purses I have completed. I have 3 more in the works!!

Karin

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  12:55:51 PM  Show Profile
You guys are too much! Karin, those are are cute as can be. I am amazed at what you have created. There's a bunch of talent on this Forum!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  1:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I love them all, but that green one is my fave!
What great embellishments.

Edited by - faithymom on Jan 22 2007 1:59:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile
THOSE PURSES are so cute, I just love them. Good job Karin.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  5:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Karin....these are FAB!! LOVE, love, love them!! You are so talented!! I can hardly wait to see the other three. I found two more 50 cent sweaters yesterday!! LOVE it!!
G

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  08:07:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt George
Oh, and Rosemary...Gotta give the credit to Karin about the idea! But finding the time...hmmm...do a few chores, stitch a handle, mop the floor, stitch the other handle...do a load of laundry, fix dinner....stitch the lining together! LOL. Watched an old Dean Martin movie while I finished this one today. LOL....shoulda' been doing something else though. Your cookbook went out in the mail today.

Ooh, neat! I'll let you know when it arrives. But you know -- you credit yourself too little for your amazing energy. Multitasking, Farmgirl style!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Somebody stop me!! Pictures :) Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page