Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Somebody stop me!! Pictures :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Somebody stop me!! Pictures :) Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  2:33:28 PM  Show Profile
I went to the Goodwill yesterday and bought five wool sweaters for $2.50 each! I brought them home, tossed them in the washer and...Voila! Teeny-tiny felted sweaters!! I made two purses yesterday (for gifts)and am working on two today! They are so much fun! I let the sweater dictate the style of bag, decide on a lining,(some don't need it- the fabric is super tight), and stitch away!! I am going to another Goodwill Friday to get more.
I reckon I should have taken pictures. Oh well. I will take some of the second two and try to post them. Thanks Clare, for posting the idea!!:)

Karin

Edited by - Mumof3 on Jan 17 2007 08:16:01 AM

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Please do post picutres.
I saw this on another board too. I forget where.
If you can find good buys like that why not? Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  4:24:43 PM  Show Profile
How fun!!! Now if we only had a good thrift store around here!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see pictures Karin!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  4:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Post some pictures Karin, I know I would like to see them.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:59:20 PM  Show Profile
GO, KARIN!!!! Yes, please share pictures!! Wonder what the french word for thrift is.... man, I GOTTA dive into that new Brocante magazine I bought now that you've got me in the mood to repurpose/create something!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  4:13:53 PM  Show Profile
Do the Goodwill stores in other areas have the Bargain Bin in the back of the store? Goodwill is fairly recent to Reno, though I've shopped their stores in SoCalif the years I lived there. This one takes the stuff that hasn't sold out front to the back and the prices are cut. Clothes are sold by the pound, books are a quarter, hard goods by the pound. I followed one employee back there with a cart full of prom dresses and leather clothing one day. Stuff they had priced for $20-30 were about $2-3. I'm a huge buyer of dollar day clothing, be it wedding or prom dresses, beaded or sequined dresses, wool coats and lots of cold weather coats I buy for the homeless.
No wonder I have way too much stuff!!!!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  6:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
CAUTION----shopping for wool sweaters at second hand stores is very addicting!! I am shamelessly addicted to buying and crafting with recylced sweaters and any other pretty fabric I can find. It is a real disease, which is taking over my office!! I would love to see some pictures, wish I had some to share...many of my ideas have not yet come to be. I spend too much time in the stores buying wool....lol! I love half off day or the day that the local consigment store has it's bag sale...I am all elbows...no one wants to get in my way...lol

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  09:43:05 AM  Show Profile
I just felted some vests I bought.
The felt is still fairly 'stretchy'.
Is the felt supposed to be super-tight?
Does this mean that it will ravel when I cut it?
This is the first time I've done this (on purpose, anyway ) and All advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson

Edited by - faithymom on Jan 15 2007 09:50:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  09:55:54 AM  Show Profile
OH! and a couple more things...
Does the pattern that's knit into the sweater, like cables, etc... show up after the felting?
If there's a pocket or something added to the sweater, should I remove that before-hand?

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:06:01 AM  Show Profile
Faith- Sometimes if the pattern is well-defined, it will show a bit in the felted sweater. If the pocket is on the inside, I just leave it. If it is on the outside, you could try and incorporate that into the final design of your purse. I wash my sweaters at least twice and dry them in between. Sometimes it takes 3 times in the washer and dryer before I feel it is tight enough. You can try to cut a small, out-of-the-way spot (like the pocket!) to see how it does. Good luck!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4191 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4191 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  4:19:59 PM  Show Profile
How did you felt the sweaters? I tried felting potholders I had crocheted, and it took a long time in the machine. They did finally felt, but not sure if I did it right or not. Michele
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4191 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4191 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  4:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I did not read the last post closely, silly me. You answered my guestion. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  6:24:06 PM  Show Profile
IT WORKED!!!
I put them back in the washer on a hot/warm cycle on heavy.
They are like they should be, now.

I'm amazed at the degree of shrinkage!the vests could have fit me, now they would maybe fit the 5yo!

COOL! I'll try to post pics when I get something actually made out of them.

Thanks girls!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  05:23:47 AM  Show Profile
Yay Faith! I am meeting with a friend today to work on my purses. I will take pics, I promise.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  01:26:31 AM  Show Profile
I took some pictures, but it'll take a bit to get them posted. I'll most likely wait until I'm completely finished with the three projects.
I started a hat, then I used the scraps to sew up (and stuff!) a pincushion for my mom!
It turned out really cute. It's heart-shaped and my daughter kept saying, as I was sewing the trim on it, "I love your Valentime, mommy. When you give it to Grammy you can say Happy Valentimes Day!" ...you'll have to imagine the cute 3yo girl voice... so cute!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  07:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Well, here are the two purses I have been working on. The multi-striped one is waiting for it's handles!(I think maybe I will get bamboo handles. :) The front pocket of the blue purse is hand sewn on. I love how it blended right in! It will get a large MOP button to close the top.

These are the linings.

Anyway, that's what I've done so far. I did not take pics of the first two I made. :( I am off to the craft room to make another as soon as I sign off!!

Karin

Edited by - Mumof3 on Jan 17 2007 07:23:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  08:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Karin those are SO COOL! Awesome job. They look like they could sell in a department store for $50!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  08:38:36 AM  Show Profile
WOW karin, those really are nice. Don't stop, just keep going. You will have gifts made for people and things to sell for a long time. I really like them, good job!!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile
I love them Karin! What nice sweaters you choose to shrink! I really like how that pocket matches right up with the stripes, very professional looking! Keep making them, you are doing a fantastic job!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  09:24:21 AM  Show Profile
These are FABULOUS!! Love the colors and what a great recycling project!! Ooooo....I feel a trip to the Goodwill coming on. Although here we have a place called The Thrifty Quaker......I acutally imagined purses shaped like little sweaters! LOL LOL....

Love them, I agree with Nancy.....KEEP GOING!!!!!

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Well gosh, Ladies- Thank you very much! These are just so quick to make that I can squeeze making one in during the day with no problem. The hardest part is deciding what style purse I want to make. I try to let the sweater "tell" me what shape to cut. So far, so good! (Don't tell anyone I talk to sweaters! ) Definitely head to the Goodwill Georgann, before all the good sweaters are gone!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:23:21 AM  Show Profile
What fun. Thanks for the pictures. I know it is addicting......MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Very nice, Karin!
I'm trying to decide whether to drop $6 on a great patterned sweater at Goodwill... I love it, but 6 bucks???? I'm not sure I love it for 6 bucks...I'd love it for $2... ~; }
Faith

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Darling purses! Wow!

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Thos turned out so cute!! I can't wait to get ahold of some wool sweaters!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:19:57 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I am really going to try these purses. I have a ready made buying public. Nurses that I work with once a month. That will give me time to make a few and take in with me. Purses for Nurses! LOL....... I have a feeling since I am now in the float pool, I will be going to many different units, which is just fine by me.....more buying customers! LOL

thank you so much for sharing the photos. Once I get an idea of what to do, I can grab on like a pit bull.

Have you had any problems with the seams raveling? I guess once they are felted, there are no threads freying.

Ya'll farmgirls are the greatest!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Somebody stop me!! Pictures :) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page