Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Childhood TV Shows Next Topic
Page: of 3

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  10:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, I saw a lot of these older shows as reruns in the 80s too! Cable was such a great thing when it first came out. I loved the Disney channel and Nickelodeon, including Nik at Nite. I remember the original Mickey Mouse Club, Mr. Ed, the Patty Duke Show, and the Monkees. And of course the newer Nickelodeon shows like The Tomorrow People, Children of the Sun, Dangermouse, and the Third Eye. Is there a cable channel that still shows all this stuff? I might try to talk my husband into getting cable if there is. My favorites, which I'm sure I'll never see again, were all the original Disney short cartoons that they played over and over on the Disney channel. I bet they never let that stuff out of the vault anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  11:37:06 AM  Show Profile
I would say cable probably isn't worth it, although we do subscribe. Disney is mostly sitcoms that they make and produce,nik shows some really gross cartoons, but for preschoolers I think they are still good during the day. Nick at Night channel show programs like Andy Griffith and Lucy, Bonanza, ect. Not very often do Nickelodion or Disney show their old stuff. My kids watch Full House, they don't believe that is what I watched growing up, and my husband doesn't believe it was Prime time Friday night TV!

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  11:48:24 AM  Show Profile
Roy Rogers was my absolute favorite. Then came My Friend Flicka, Sky King, and the Mickey Mouse Club. When I was young, I would dream I would be out riding and my horse would throw me and I would roll down a hill with a broken ankle. Then Roy Rogers would come riding in to pick me up and rescue me. Tee hee. I can't believe I just told you all that!!!

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  11:50:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I just hit 50 posts and am now a true blue farmgirl. Woohoo!!

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  11:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Full House, ha! Yes, the 80s really did suck that much...I guess that's why I was watching stuff from the 40s, 50s, and 60s more than the contemporary stuff. I liked old movies too. Thought Fred Astaire was so much cooler than Dirty Dancing. I was into the retro stuff before it was trendy...or maybe I was just an old crank already at 14!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  12:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, me too! My mom is a Huge Fred and Ginger fan! I like Young Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant and Old John Wayne. My girlfriends will ask me about such and such movie that is currently out and I'll have no clue!

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  4:11:34 PM  Show Profile
My favorite show was Cheers. It came on after my bedtime but I loved the song at the beginning. Everynight I would sneek down the hall and listen when it was over mom and dad would always put me back to bed. Other favs were little House (I think I saw the reruns) amd the ann of green gables and ann of avonlea shows that ran on PBS.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  7:29:59 PM  Show Profile
I forgot about a show. It definitely isn't old, but the post about the Cheers song reminded me. We always watch Friends, no matter how many how many times we've seen the dumb things. The show was very popular the year I was pregnant with my 8 year old; we would all sit and sing the song together. When he was born, the song always quieted him down; he knew how to sing it from the time he could put words together!!!

Val
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  03:48:39 AM  Show Profile
I too grew up w/ Sesame Street and The Muppet Show

Lone Ranger was still playing here and there, The Munsters The Monkees We'd all get together at a friend's house and watch every afternoon

For cartoons....you can't beat a classic Tom and Jerry They just don't make 'em likie they used to! Scooby and The Flintstones will alwyas be favorites too

for Friday and Staurday nights, it was the Donnie and Marie show and those Solid Gold dancers and yes, sometimes Hee Haw

Growing up we never did have cable t.v. My brother and I couldn't believe it when our parents finally broke down and oredered cable serivice LAST YEAR! Dad claims it's for his business/computer stuff Gues when you are 60ish you can have whatever you want!
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  04:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I remember the Sunday evening watching Disney World!! Loved it. I've been sitting here reading all you've written and began thinking of programs my dad liked! He loved Red Skelton so I watched it too......also the Dean Martin show. To think he would stand there with a cigarette and a drink in his hand!! Wow, how bad is that???? How about the Friendly Giant with his cute little chairs he would put out!! Oh, the Twilight Zone, I never missed that!! When I had my kids we would see reruns of Bonanza and every time I would hear the theme song I could swear I smelled popcorn because my mother ALWAYS fixed popcorn when we watched Bonanza!! Can you all remember seeing the Beatles for the first time on Ed Sullivan? Ahh, memories. .....OH, Carol Burnett!!! I loved her show!

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  04:41:56 AM  Show Profile
OH, I just remembered, it wasn't Bonanza that I could smell the popcorn it was Perry Mason!! with Raymon Burr!!!! (I was just rereading what I wrote and it came to me) ha, ha

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  06:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Sunday night was the only night we were able to eat in the living room watching Disney.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  07:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Hey, I think I am in Beemoosie's neck of the woods, age wise...and I can't remember a darn thing! Reading the posts, I was reminded of watching MASH with my dad, the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman every week with pizza, and Johnny Quest on Saturdays. I also liked Zoom on PBS!

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  08:03:46 AM  Show Profile
Let's see.. when I was little it was Captain Kangaroo, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and The Great Space Coaster. When I was home alot in the afternoon after school, there were reruns of Make Room for Daddy, with Danny Thomas and I LOVED him--my mom told me that the little girl who played his daughter died of a drug overdose and the boy was an alcoholic wash up or vice versa...Thanks Mom!!! I Love Lucy was on after Make Room for Daddy, then Happy Days. Wow, it sure seems like I was in front of the tv alot!

Always watched MASH with daddy in the evenings (crazy in love with Hawkeye!!!), and ALL of the National Geographic shows and Nova we could get his hands on.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Boy, the Great Space Coaster sounds so familiar, I just can't picture it! Do you all remember the Electic company?

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  1:37:53 PM  Show Profile
I had to jump in here when I read that Aunt Jenny & Karin were "Dark Shadows" fans! I so loved to be scared & looked forward to the show each afternoon. It ran for a long time but I think I came in late-around the time of Rachel Collins. Barnabas was on his fouth life or so by then. You can buy the episodes on DVD now... sure would like to splurge on those!
We never missed "The Brady Bunch" and "The Partridge Family", watched with the neighborhood girls every Friday night.
A few people mentioned Red Skelton. He was a second cousin to my Grandmother, so he as a big deal with my Mom. I also remember being very young & watching "Hazel" and "Ben Casey" with my Mom, her two favorite shows.
How funny to think of all those old shows!

Here's a link to a silly game a friend sent me. I think you'll get a kick out of it. He's good, I have only beat it once!

http://www.smalltime.com/dictator.html

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Dec 29 2006 1:41:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile
I remember loving The Lone Ranger and Zorro!!! Men in masks. My brother and I would turn the tv on very quietly early mornings, which had to have been Saturdays, sit on the floor and watch. Captain Kangaroo was big, too, with Mr. Greenjeans... and Popeye! I nicknamed my current dog "Sweet Pea" after his baby.

Lassie and Walt Disney were my favorite evening shows in the early years, then when bedtimes weren't so early, Gunsmoke and Bonanza. I'm guessing I could spend a lot of time adding to this!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  6:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh I loved Hazel too!! And I actually met Red Skelton once..in Palm Springs on a field trip with Camp Fire Girls. Besides Patridge family and Brady Bunch I also LOVED The show with Bobby Sherman "Here come the Brides". That was a good one too!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  7:20:52 PM  Show Profile
This is so funny Jenny! We have the same favorites...are you SURE we aren't related?? I always ran home from school to watch Dark Shadows at 3:00. I had a BIG crush on Quentin! Angelique just creeped me out!! My Dad would always pop a big pan of popcorn and we'd have pepsi from glass bottles and watch Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Paladin-Have Gun Will Travel. I still love westerns...especially Tom Selleck!!!!! I watched I Love Lucy daily, but also loved The Real McCoys, Hazel, Beverly Hillbillies( I thought I was Ellie May). I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember for now.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  9:12:29 PM  Show Profile
I grew up a huge Mister Rogers fan (I still am, actually!). He was such a genuinely nice man...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  9:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Luzy...I still love Westerns too..especially Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot..they are the best cowboys doncha think??
My aunts all called ME Ellie Mae..how funny..we are for sure separated at birth!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  9:30:32 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
My former sister in law was married to Rusty Hamer, the red head kid on Make Room for Daddy. He was her first husband and I never knew the reason they divorced. They didn't have any kids but had capucin (Sp?) monkeys that destroyed everything in sight. He ended up in the south, want to say Arkansas, not sure and committed suicide in the early 80's by shotgun blast to the head. She was a stunt woman, quite successful over the years, as was my former father in law and SIL's last husband. That's another whole subject from my ''former life'' :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  7:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Gosh but we are all showing our age hehehe - Gilligan's Island, when I grew up I wanted to be Ginger Grant (I really ended up being Ellie Mae) and spent most of my childhood longing for red hair or a red wig. Of course, Bewitched, Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch, Courtship of Eddie's Father, Nanny and the Professor, Leave it to Beaver (still makes me laugh) The Waltons, Happpy Days, Laverne and Shirley - OMG, That Girl, Patty Duke Show, Mary Tyler Moore........Starsky and Hutch - which one did you love the most, OMG, Baretta - I loved Robert Blake

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  9:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Okay the late 70's is about the time that I started watching TV.
Saturday mornings.... Land of the Lost, Jelly Bean Junction, Speed Buggy.
We also sat down on Friday Nights and watched The Incredible Hulk, Dukes of Hazard and Dallas (my brother and I had to go to bed when that one came on)
I remember as a teenager watching Mama's Family, the Cosby Show, Family Ties, The Wonder Years and Life Goes On.
I don't think that there are ANY new TV shows out there that a family can sit and watch together. We watched all of these and never cringed. Now, all that we watch is The Andy Griffith Show and then we shut it off. I tell my children that too much t.v. causes brain rot. LOL!

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  9:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I can remember begging (yes begging!) to stay up at 8:00pm to watch That Girl! I just saw a That Girl marathon recently and wondered what on earth made my Mom wonder if it was appropriate! I loved her clothes, independence, adventure and tiny apartment! She made me think anything was possible! Very Groovy for the 1960's!
I also loved the Waltons but it was on when I worked so I never saw all the episodes until years later in rerun.

Anyone remember "Here Comes The Brides"?! Now I am really showing my age!And remember mini-series? They made tv watching an event! James Michener's Centennial, Shogun, Lonesome Dove, Roots, and a bunch of others I can't remember. That was when everyone watched tv together and didn't hide in their rooms with their own tvs. We still do that and my son moans loudly but it teaches compromise, togetherness and
maybe you watch something you wouldn't have and actually learn something! He has a tv for video games not hooked up to cable and he has stopped asking when it will be!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jan 03 2007 9:56:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Childhood TV Shows Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page