CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Nancy brought up the mention of a christmas tv show or movie .. and for the life of me .. i can't figger it out. someone else mentioned: "I Remember Mama" .. which kicked in my 'nostalgia' .. sooo .. i researched a little about it ... t'would be fun to list some interesting facts (just google them) for YOUR favorite childhood TV shows!

I would have to put I Remember Mama right up there near (if not at the tippy-top) of my favs!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:38:16 PM  Show Profile
I remember mama and I remember ::::easy loping, cattle roping sugarfoot
riding into cattle town
jogging along with a heart full of song::::

I always thought they were twins when he played his arch nemesis the canary kid

remember the tears Queen for the Day induced?
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I used to watch 'Sky King' and 'Fury'. The other day, I bought a "Spin and Marty" book in a thrift store(Annette is in there,too).

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, now it depends on what part of my childhood! I really enjoyed the Ed Sullivan Show, Addams Family, Munsters and Bonanaza.Then as I got older there was The Waltons.
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  2:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Star Trek, Lost in Space, The Wild West. When I was reallllly young I liked to watch Romper Room and Bozo the Clown.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  2:57:41 PM  Show Profile
I remember Red Skelton, a wonderful entertainer he was. And "The Wonderful World of Disney" used to come on on Sunday nights at six. It was the ONLY night of the week we were allowed to watch tv while we ate dinner.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  3:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, you ladies are really bringing back the memories! 'Lassie,' 'Fury,' and 'Mr Ed' used to really get my animal cravings going. There were many years when I was a child where we didn't even have a dog. And I wanted a horse SO BAD!!!

We also watched 'Mighty Mouse' and actually sat through Mutual of Omaha's 'Wild Kingdom.' Isn't it funny what a sanitized version of animal life they portrayed?

My brother liked 'Hogan's Heroes' and 'Jackie Gleason.' It was a big night when my parents would go out, and we'd have the evening to ourselves with a frozen pizza, some Cheetos, and soda.

Ohhh, and 'Shock Theater!' All the scary movies from the thirties, forties, and fifties! I remember watching 'The House on the Haunted Hill' and my brother holding my hand, and sternly telling me that I wasn't allowed to tell ANYONE he did that.
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Anyone else have their parents wake them up early to watch the launches of the astronauts?

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  5:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Yes I do, Denise! I remember John Glenn's spaceflight well. And when they walked on the moon was amazing.

I just remembered 'Bonanza' and James Garner in 'Maverick,' too. And 'Twilight Zone!'
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  7:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Red Skelton - Clem Kadiddlehopper was the greatest! Bonanza, of course - who didn't have a crush on Little Joe? And if I was really good, I got to stay up late to watch Johnny Carson when my grandparents were babysitting.

Peapodjane - I watched the Waltons, but it ruined me. I believed that all families acted that way and that all problems were solved in 60 minutes or less! ;-)

Sandy in Missouri

I'm at that age where I need my own warning label!
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  02:35:47 AM  Show Profile
Ahhhhh!
Now see what you have started Frannie! We're all wandering around on memory lane! LOL! Red Skelton was an absolute favorite of mine and I miss his humor, clowns and I have a strained relationship in general, but he is one that I could watch in all of his different characters. I also, loved "The Carol Burnett Show".
What all problems aren't solved in 60 minutes or less? Well,maybe their secret was all the advertisements, gave them time to work a few things out in private! Or, maybe we all need to wear our aprons more!
Happy Holidays to all,
peapodjane

Edited by - peapodjane on Dec 22 2006 02:37:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  03:20:09 AM  Show Profile
Gosh girls, my shows were Happy Days and Little House on the Prairie, ummm...grew up on Sesame Street, I'm drawing a blank and I know they'll be coming back to me all day...To be continued....

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  04:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, if your childhood shows were Little House and Happy Days, then you're too young to draw a blank!
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  05:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Peapod Jane, I think you hit on the secret...it had to be the aprons (lol). But, then, maybe it was all the commercial time!

My favorites were Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, Mr. Ed,...there are others, but my mind fails me this morning!

Val
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  06:22:16 AM  Show Profile
No Mary Ann, I have children of my own that know more than me already, I'm in the drawing blanks club!!!
I also loved the ABC Afterschool specials, and Saturday Specials after cartoons. Cartoons WERE only on Saturday mornings back in the day! lol
It's all coming back to me now....

Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  06:46:26 AM  Show Profile
What about the Honeymooners on Saturday night and Petticoat Juntion. What a great time when you knew that if the character went around the corner they weren't going to be shot.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  6:22:06 PM  Show Profile
gosh .. a lot of us are about the same age!!! and oh my yesss .. i remember the MOON landing especially .. i was working at NASA at the time and it was one of the most thrilling moments of my life! here's a little info i googled:

The Moon Landing
A race was on to put a man on the moon. President Kennedy had challenged the nation. It was the mission of Apollo 11 to land two men on the moon, then return them safely to Earth. It was one of the most historic events. It demonstrated what man can do with effort and ingenuity.

The Apollo 11 cre: Neil Armstrong, Commander; Michael Collins, command module pilot; and , Edwin E. Aldrin Jr., lunar module pilot.

In President Kennedy's speech to Congress, on May 25, 1961, he expressed a concern that the United States was falling behind the Soviet Union in technology and prestige. He challenged the nation to put a man on the moon before the end of the decade.
On July 16, 1969, the Apollo 11 launched from the Kennedy Space Center.

On July 20, 1969, Commander Neil Armstrong became the first man on the moon. He said the historic words, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
A camera in the Lunar Module provided live television coverage as Neil Armstrong climbed down the ladder to the surface of the moon.

The Lunar Module "Eagle" consisted of two parts: the descent stage and the ascent stage.
The descent state provided the engine used to land on the moon. It had four legs, a storage area for experimental gear, and a ladder for the crew to climb down to the moon's surface. The descent module also served as the launch platform for the ascent module when it came time to leave.

The ascent module carried the crew back to the Command Service Module.

To walk on the moon's surface, the astronauts needed to wear a space suit with a back mounted, portable life support system. This controlled the oxygen, temperature and pressure inside the suit.
On the surface, the astronauts had to get used to the reduced gravity. They could jump very high compared to on Earth.

The crew spent a total of two and a half hours on the moon's surface. While on the moon's surface, they performed a variety of experiments and collected soil and rock samples to return to Earth.

An American flag was left on the moon's surface as a reminder of the accomplishment.

In later moon landings, the astronauts used the Lunar Rover vehicle to help explore more of the moon's surface.

The Command Service Module "Columbia" consisted of two parts. The Command Module is the cone at the top, or front in this picture. The Command Module held the three man crew. It was the control center during the mission. It also was the re-entry vehicle for returning back to Earth.

After re-entering the Earth's atmosphere, parachutes opened to safely lower the Columbia into the Pacific Ocean. After landing in the Ocean, the crew were retrieved by a helicopter and taken to the recovery ship, the "USS Hornet."
The crew and lunar samples were placed in quarantine until their health and safety could be confirmed.

The Command Module "Columbia" returned to Earth on July 24, 1969. Apollo 11 had successfully completed its mission. President Kennedy's objective to land men on the moon and return them safely to Earth had been accomplished.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  05:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes! Petticoat Junction! We also watched "Gunsmoke"!
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  06:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh!! You have made me reach to the far depths of my brain for this one!! These were mine (in no particular order)- Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, Dark Shadows, The Nanny and the Professor, Red Skelton, Ed Sullivan, The Monkees, Merv Griffin, Gumby, Romper Room- our 'teacher' was Miss Jean-(Magic mirror, tell me today, have all of my friends had fun at play?) and Bewitched. I am sure there are more that I watched, but those were the ones that I had to be in front of the TV for, everytime they were on!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  12:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh,
MY FRIEND FLICKA, fury,lash laRue, horse and westerns. I loved them, then Id go out and ride my horse and pretend my horse was one of them.OH and I had these friends Bobbie and Keyka, I played with them every day, wonder where they are now?
shirley
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile
I watched the reruns of I LOVE LUCY all of my life and now own the entire series. If course the Waltons!! Truth or Consequences made me cry when I was a kid. I had to watch The Lawrence Welk show every week with my parents too. I remember the moon landings too. I remember watching to see if that one Apollo landing (the one they made the movie about) was going to survive reentry or not.

How about The Flintstones and The Jetsons? Then later I loved Bob Newhart and then Happy Days. I was a teenager when Happy Days came on and my dad let us pick that night as the night to stay up after 8P.M. No wonder I look so young...I was sleeping like 13 hours a day thanks to a strict dad! (Ok, so maybe I don't look young enough to have had all that sleep!) :) Sheryl-lyn

Oh, I forgot about Love American Style!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  05:47:17 AM  Show Profile
My friend Flica & Fury! All horse related shows were my favorites. Even when the Micky Mouse Club did their western thing, was always my favoeites.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  04:30:17 AM  Show Profile
Anybody ever watch Donnie and Marie?
"I'm a little bit country...I'm a little bit rock & roll..."

Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  07:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Laura here jumping in. I can remember I always wanted to marry Matt Dillion from gunsmoke, live at the pondarosa(hope the spelling is right) and be able to ride like John Wayne. Then wanted to have my family like the Ingalls on Little House. Now ain't that something. Fact is I married my Matt Dillion, Ride more like the town drunk on Andy Griffin, and house,ummm, similar to Little House. ( It is a plank house)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  09:21:02 AM  Show Profile
I loved Petticoat Junction and Green Acres and the Beverly hillbillies. I remember rushing home with friends after school in 4th and 5th grade to watch Dark Shadows. My family always watched Gunsmoke and Bonanza too. The Flintstones were my favorite cartoon. Oh, Nanny and the Professor for sure and the Monkees! ( I thought Michael was the cutest when all my friends loved Davey) Gosh, my list is nearly the same as Karins! I did love the Waltons and Little house as I got older and always watched Donnie and Marie..but that was after I was a young bride.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  10:34:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh MY GOSH Jenny I was thinking of the Monkees today...thought you all would really get a good laugh from me! I missed them the first time around, but in the 80's they came back and the shows were on TV! My girlfriend and I were totally in love, I loved Davey and she loved Mike!!! We actually went to 3 concerts! Isn't that funny?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Childhood TV Shows Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page