Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What have you planted so far for Spring 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What have you planted so far for Spring 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 3

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  11:55:29 AM  Show Profile
We had a long soaking rain yesterday so the 3 thyme plants I put into pots are spreading. The rain has softened the front flower bed so as soon as it dries a little I will be able to plant the 3 Mexican tarragon plants. The rain came at a very good time for me.

Each time I go to the fruit/veg stand I hope to find more plants on my list. My goal is to buy only the plants I can handle in a day or two. It's hard not to get carried away and buy more plants than I need at one time. I find I enjoy gardening more if I manage it and not let it run me.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  2:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Daizy,
Hang in there! I'm betting you'll be able to plant sooner than I. Climate in Alabama is very different than here. Ours is a dry climate and high altitude. I LIVE at 7000 ft. elevation, so our growing season is pretty short!
We'll get 'em planted though!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Feb 24 2016 2:21:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

723 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
723 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  8:58:57 PM  Show Profile
I have the Lee Valley 10 year gardening journal and I TRY to use it each year. I always find it interesting when I do decide to enter something on a particular date and see what I did several years ago on that day. It has graph paper in the front to plan out your garden which I use. I find it helpful to be able to see the last few year's plans to be able to come up with a good strategy for crop rotation. I have attempted to use it's harvest and seed record, but it doesn't really give me enough space. I've got a friend who uses a spread sheet to keep track of what she has planted, how much and how productive it was, I think I might try that this year, although I just don't get on the computer enough once I get gardening, so we'll see.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

723 Posts

Jill
Canada
723 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  9:06:20 PM  Show Profile
I've also been working on building a new greenhouse from the frame of my husband's portable garage. I got one bench about 3/4 finished today. Hopefully I can finish it and start the second bench tomorrow. Then I want to build a planting table and get the frame covered. I'm planning on heated beds and tomatoes galore.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  10:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Jill, that sounds like a great plan. You go girl!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2016 :  09:52:23 AM  Show Profile
The temperatures will be in the fifties today. As soon as the laundry is done, I will go out and start cleaning the yard.

This is a view of the "patio" area and garden. Still some snow but Morgan is checking for a place to pee in the grass.

This is a view of the wood pile and back path which my husband is traversing.

This is the side yard which doesn't need too much work. The tree on the left needs to be removed. It took out our power three years ago when a branch came down in a big storm. I have a maple sapling between the tires which cannot be seen.

Mitzi is enjoying the approach of spring by rolling in what passes for grass in the yard. We live in an apartment so our choices for mediation are limited.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  06:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Yellow & white are the plant colors for my front yard. Saturday my family gave me an early birthday party. My older sister gave me a yellow begonia and yellow daisy. The begonia is a shade loving plant so it's on my front porch. The daisy needs sun so it's on the back deck. I will re-pot both today. A pot of something yellow brightens everything around it and yells 'Spring is here!'.

Go to Top of Page

lynnfoun
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lynn
Norfolk NY
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  02:50:43 AM  Show Profile
I live in northern NY (zone 4), so there will be no planting outside for weeks yet. But I've started the perennial and biannual seedlings indoors that require a 10-12 week lead time, including coneflowers, salvia, hollyhock, foxglove, dianthus, scabiosa, crocosmia and thyme. The veg seeds-tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, eggplant-and some addtl herbs will be sown indoors in a few weeks. The cold crops will be direct seeded outdoors beginning in late April or early May, weather depending. The remainder go into the ground in late May. We have a short growing season up here!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  04:41:30 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, hollyhocks are one of my favorite flowers. I haven't tried growing them here because my yards are mostly shady.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  12:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Still a tad cold up here,,, but we should be getting back into the 70's in a couple of weeks... we are due in a series of rain storms... so the ground will be well saturated and ready for planting by mid-March...
I did toss out several packages of asst. Wild Flower seeds by the front gate... I luv the mishmash of flowers growing by a gate.
I have my pickling cucumbers, tomatoes and cantaloupe seeds ready to go,,, after the frost...
Oh and we planted 2 more Almond trees... they were giving to my by my cousin who owns an Almond/Grape farm...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5174 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5174 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  12:14:51 PM  Show Profile
I have seeds on the way! It feels like Spring here! The daffodils are blooming and my Azaleas are about to bloom!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  05:17:08 AM  Show Profile
I just planted my cold frame yesterday. We have had an exceptionally warm late Feb and March so our ground is well thawed. Our last frost isn't until late May so not much else will go outside until much later. I will be starting indoor starts next week.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  8:12:20 PM  Show Profile
I am really enjoying your excitement about planting. I just noticed my red geraniums in the South window are blooming. Makes me think spring anyway even though we will get more snow.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  3:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Starting seeds! Look what came on my birthday!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2016 :  12:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Well here we are,,, cold and raining again... my poor plants are soooo confused! and my lavender is struggling from all this rain... So not use to this....
I have my seeds in starter pots,,, just hope that by the time for them to be transferred outside and into the ground this cold/rainy wave will be past... Oh well.. it is what it is,, and we truly do need the rain over here...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  10:08:09 AM  Show Profile
At the fruit/veg stand I bought two Tabasco pepper plants to put into pots. One lemon grass that I have already planted in a pot for the front yard. Rain is forecast for tomorrow so I'm glad it's potted.

Also bought 2 yellow lantana hanging baskets and one large red geranium. They don't have to be repotted - instant garden color.

Edited by - YellowRose on Mar 29 2016 1:50:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2016 :  7:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Got tomatoes plants planted, radish seeds in the ground. Son planted asparagus bed. Peppers and squash went in today. Still have herbs to pot. Also have pumpkin seeds started.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2016 :  9:21:56 PM  Show Profile
We've had an unusually warm and dry week so we managed to get our garden tilled this weekend. Wont be able to plant for at least another 3-4 weeks though when it warms up a bit. Our last frost date is April 30th. I ordered package bees for May delivery earlier this week. Also went to our new Tractor Supply store today and bought some feeding troughs to use as raised garden planters that my Mom can reach from her wheelchair. Was SO hard for me to walk out of there without a handful of chicks and ducklings....

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

NY Pumpkin girl
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Christine
Gouverneur New York
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2016 :  6:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Send NY Pumpkin girl a Yahoo! Message
I just started three tomato seeds. This year I am going to try and grow giant tomatoes. The seeds I planted came from a 7+ lb tomato.

NY Pumpkin girl Farmgirl sister 6634.
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  09:46:07 AM  Show Profile
No planting here, we received 6 inches of snow on Monday. Patiently waiting for the melting. I was ready to start my cold loving crops and then WHAM, Mother Nature had other plans. In a few more weeks.....
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

723 Posts

Jill
Canada
723 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  10:21:54 AM  Show Profile
My assorted tomatoes are up. I seeded various lettuce, chick peas (a new experiment this year) and broccoli so far. Lots to go yet. Got most of my beds weeded which felt really good and makes the garden look tidy at least! I just love getting out and getting growing this time of year!

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

NY Pumpkin girl
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Christine
Gouverneur New York
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Send NY Pumpkin girl a Yahoo! Message
We are also getting snow today... I don't think Spring will arrive...

NY Pumpkin girl Farmgirl sister 6634.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  2:09:33 PM  Show Profile
I've got lettuce, potatoes, strawberries and tomatoes with the fruit on them. My grapefruit tree has hundreds of blooms turning into fruit. I also have tiny peaches growing bigger every day.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2016 :  2:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Laurie your garden sounds wonderful. My two Tabasco pepper plants haven't gown much - it's still not hot enough for them here. The three pots of thyme and one lemon grass are slowly filling their containers.

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  6:06:59 PM  Show Profile
Sara, Give it time. I'll have to plant my pepper plants in a couple of weeks. You have some wonderful spices growing. Fresh spice are always great.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What have you planted so far for Spring 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page