Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What have you planted so far for Spring 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What have you planted so far for Spring 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile
I have my seeds and getting ready to till and get things started here.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nothing yet here . . . it'll be late April or early May before we can till and hopefully we can then.
We are still having winter and there is still lots of snow on the ground!
Our growing season is kind of short. We can usually plant seeds in our gardens in mid-May, but there generally is a late freeze the first part of June. We NEVER set out our plants (tomatoes and peppers) until around June 9-10. We also usually get a warm spell in May and that fools people into thinking everything will be okay . . . not so! I know of SOOOOO many people who've had to replant after that June freeze.

Wishing you the best as you get started on your garden!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  4:17:54 PM  Show Profile
One bunch of Texas Sweet Onions in a large pot. They should be gone by the time to plant flowers in the pot.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  11:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, we got African marigold seeds, stringless-string bean seeds, and parsley seeds. Still too early to put in the ground, but we'll start them inside in small pots.
I can't wait to hear and see the coming gardens.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  5:25:49 PM  Show Profile
It must be nice to live in the warmer dryer parts of the country. I couldn't even begin to think about planting seeds until late May or early June. I was out at my garden today and the ground is so wet it mucks up when you walk on it. Best to leave it alone and stay off it at this time of the year. So I'll be dreaming for a few more months. I haven't planted much of a garden the past few years because I've been taking care of my parents, but we finally have a caregiver who can pull her share of the load, so I think I will have more time for gardening this summer. Fingers crossed anyways!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  6:13:44 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to plant but it will be the end of May before we can do it in Minnesota.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  05:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Hay there,

I cant plant yet but I can sure add another raised bed.....this weekend!! My son built it last year but I have to move it to the garden location. I think I will plant cucumbers in it and let them climb the arch which is a bull panel. On the other side of the arch I think I will plant some pink eyed purple hull peas. They like to climb so maybe that will help them produce more. I have a bunch of huge plastic tubes that were protein tubs for the cows. I am thinking about lettuce and broccoli in those. Can you tell I am antsy for spring? There is one more raised bed and I will plant tomatoes in it......and lots of flowers....everywhere!!!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  1:07:50 PM  Show Profile
My hubby is putting in green bean seeds, parsley seeds, and carrot seeds. I think it's a bit early, but he says he'll cover them if a freeze comes. We are both anxious about our summer garden. I'm sure a lot of y'all are also.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  1:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Here in Michigan we'll start our seeds indoors in the next couple weeks. Still have snow on the ground. Usually we don't plant in the garden until Memorial Day weekend to be safe from frost. Sometimes we can plant peas around St Patricks Day if we don't have snow. We are anxious to see our garden growing this year.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/sets/72157627628326507/
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  1:14:17 PM  Show Profile
I finished adding to my last seed tray today! I have yellow grape tomatoes, black cherry tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, mini chocolate bell peppers, lovage, wooly lambs ear, marigold, stinging nettles, German chamomile, French sorrel, red amaranth, mouse melons, Easter eggplant, garlic chives, white scallop squash, and zucchini. We'll see how the squash does. Between the bugs and clay soil, it never does well, but I'm trying them in grow boxes this year. I'll directly sow basil, borage, watermelon, and nasturtium next week.

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  1:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, got to ask ~ what's mouse melon? Keep us posted on how the French Sorrel does ~ I have wanted to plant it for years but have not gotten around to doing it.

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  1:48:09 PM  Show Profile
They're tiny cucumbers that have a hint of lemon. They're called a variety of names, but they grow wild on the bayou where I grew up, and we always called them mouse melons. I was excited to find the seeds to try to grow in my urban lot! I'll keep you posted.

http://www.rareseeds.com/mexican-sour-gherkin-cucumber/

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  1:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, I saw them at Burpee online. I thought about trying them too :)
http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/cucumbers/cucumber-mexican-sour-gherkin-prod099645.html

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/sets/72157627628326507/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  5:16:05 PM  Show Profile
I saw those in the Burpee catalog too. I will try some. They sound interesting.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh, those sound interesting!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  12:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Those sound interesting, but if they grow well in the bayou, I doubt they'd survive here in a dry and high altitude environment.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile
They're supposedly an easy container plant as long as you have a trellis for it. The main problem would be cold temps, so it could probably be grown as an annual outdoors or over wintered inside in a pot. This is my first time cultivating them, so I can't speak from experience. I just know they like heat and don't have the fungus or bug problems that most other cucumbers do.

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2016 :  11:07:27 AM  Show Profile
I happened upon some already potted Cherokee Heirloom Purple Tomato plants!!! I have them in a sunny window for the time being. My dad introduced me to them a couple years ago. They are so delicious! I had also been searching for a plant called string of pearls. My mother in law had one that hung in a basket. I always admired it. Now I have me one!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6996 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6996 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2016 :  09:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Earlier today I went to the fruit/veg stand. Nice looking herb plants so I got 3 thyme and 3 Mexican marigold/tarragon. Our summers are too hot for French tarragon so the Mexican marigold/tarragon is a good substitute. Sometimes the plants are labeled Texas tarragon.

The 3 Mexican tarragon plants will go in a small front yard bed.

2 of the thyme will go into pots along front side walk and the other on the deck for easy access for cooking.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2016 :  12:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
NO planting around here until May. However, I think that I'll go to my garden and see what I can see, now that the snow has melted enough to actually see it again! :D
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  3:50:40 PM  Show Profile
Mouse melon (cucamelon, Mexican sour gherkin) update! All 7 seeds sprouted and are putting on their first true leaves. I planted the strongest looking one in my perennial bed, next to my scarlet runner bean today. We'll see if it grows or if I needed to wait longer.

Baker Creek seeds-7/7 germinated between 8 and 14 days

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  3:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, the garden is still there, with the black plastic mulch and metal frames just like we left it. Now to pick that all up, clean up and get ready to till. But we'll probably get more "winter" before we can do much of anything.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  12:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
While it's too early to plant anything it's not too early to do some things outside. We've had warmer weather the past couple of weeks with MAJOR snow melt down. I can now see the ground again! It was nice enough on Saturday afternoon to start cleaning out my flower beds. I have flower beds, rock gardens and an herb garden that need cleaned out every spring. I was able to accomplish part of that on Saturday . . YAY!
Hope to get back out there this afternoon to continue. It takes more than a day to do, especially after my "gardening" muscles have had the winter to rest! :D
CJ

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  11:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Last week planted potatoes in a 1/2 whisky barrel. TX. sweet onions in a large pot. Getting my raised beds ready.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  1:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Outside yard and flower bed work on hold briefly while we have another round of winter. Last night it started blowing and snowing and we had a layer of snow all over everything this morning and a temperature of 27 degrees at 7:00 AM. It's warmed up a wee but and that layer of snow has melted, but we've had "flurries" this afternoon and it's not really conducive to working outside. Sooooooo . . . . wait a day or two and then perhaps get back out there. In the meantime, my rake is right where I left it in the flowerbed.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  5:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Hay there,

Yep....I think my garden must look like yours, Mz CJ. I have much to do before I can even think of plants and planting. But the vision is still visible and the dream will form again as the days get longer and the soil warms up. In the meantime I am making out the new graphs and plans of what goes where and what is needed in which garden. I would like to know if anyone else puts there ideas, drawings, etc. on paper? or perhaps in a notebook? what is the best part of your system/journal?

I have spring fever bad so I'm trying to stay occupied. I have started a few violet leaves to root and went to walmart and brought home their failing plants that where marked down. Hurry spring.....I have seeds!!!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What have you planted so far for Spring 2016 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page