Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:28:31 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the garden gate or farm kitchen section This is my first year to actually successfully grow summer squash plants. I live in the Deep South, so our planting seasons are different from most of the country's and our soil is hard-packed clay! Between the soil, heat, and bugs, I've resigned myself to always grow summer squash in containers from now on! (Grow boxes are my friends!)

Well, we've had a TON of male blossoms the last few weeks, and they are so tasty, I'd grow squash plants just for the blossoms! I've tried them a few different ways, but would love to hear any of your favorite recipes with these wonderful flowers!

Here's mine:

6-12 squash blossoms (stamens removed)
3/4 cup flour
1tsp salt
Half bottle of cold ale (I use Kinroo Blue Belgian white, but any blonde will do)
Feta or goat cheese mixed with herbs (I like feta and fresh lemon thyme)
Canola oil

Rinse blossoms and rest them between damp paper towels to let the creepy crawlies crawl out and keep them moist. Prepare your cheese mixture. Mix flour and salt in a shallow bowl, slowly stir in ale until batter is at desire consistency. Heat oil in a sauté pan until hot. Roll stuffed blossoms in batter and fry on either side until crispy. Let drain on paper towels.

The batter is also great for frying the actual squash as well.

I like to serve these as an appetizer for dinner or over a fresh salad for a meal (they are deliciously rich!)

Enjoy!

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Lady in Pearls on Apr 22 2016 2:30:49 PM

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Those are some beautiful squash blossoms We can grow squash here also, but not for a while yet. I'm so jealous that you're already harvesting.

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  3:42:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm jealous of y'all's comfortable summers! We do get a jump on growing, but nothing but peppers and okra survive July and August heat!

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7032 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7032 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  6:43:12 PM  Show Profile
You have some nice squash blossoms. I can't say I have ever eaten squash blossoms. I'm going to have to give them a shot.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Squash blossom bliss! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page