Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Check Out What My DH Found In The Basement!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Check Out What My DH Found In The Basement! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  6:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh my WORD!!!

Now, half of our basement is concrete; the other half is behind a wall and filled with dirt, making a small crawl space between the dirt "floor" and the ceiling. We've been down there many, many times, but it's creepy downstairs, and I avoid it like the plague... Not anymore!!!!

Sunday my husband went down to the basement and something caught the corner of his eye sticking out of the dirt. He was super excited when he came upstairs, calling me frantically to come into the kitchen and see what he found! I just about fell over when I saw it!

CHECK

IT

OUT!!!!

He said, "Merry Christmas! Look what I found in the dirt down there!" Oh my WORD!!! I LOVE antique stoneware pottery - it's usually the first thing I check out when we go to the junk stores, flea markets or antique shops! I have always longed for something like this, but even THINKING about splurging to purchase one? Never! I always tell people if I wait long enough, God always manages to give me special things that He knows I really would like to have! This is just... just... exceptional! And SO completely unexpected! Merry Christmas, indeed!!! I'm STILL doing my happy dance! :)

After a little research online, I found out that this is a wax-seal crock, made sometime in the 1870's - 1890's, not too far from here, in Geneva, PA. I looked at some values online, and even in this condition, it has the potential for being quite valuable! I am SO excited!

We did wash it to remove the surface dirt. It must have been down there for-e-ver! I need to find out how to best clean it - maybe even professionally? I wonder if there is any part of it that should be and can be restored? Then I have to figure out where to take it to have it appraised so we can insure it properly... And THEN I've got to figure out where to showcase it! I am just so, so, so happy and grateful to have this "miraculous" treasure! I absolutely love it!!!

I have always had this feeling that we will find treasure in this amazing old house... Did we ever! :) I asked my husband if we could dig out the rest of the dirt side and see what's below. He just squinted his eyes at me and giggled. Hey, man: I'M SERIOUS!!!

Well, I just had to share our exciting find with you. If any of you know anything about this stoneware or if you can suggest what I should do next as far as cleaning, preserving, etc., please let me know. I've found a modern stoneware company online with this particular name on it, and they do feature some antique pieces similar to this one... Maybe they can tell us more! Wish me luck!

Hugs and happiness - and hoping YOU find "miraculous" treasures, too!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  6:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow what a find! I would be beside myself and I too would take to shoveling. It is an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing it.
That is just too cool! Gosh, there has just got to be other goodies buried down there. Have fun, Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7543 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7543 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  6:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! That is a super duper find, Nini! How lucky. I have found some old pieces of tools in the barn here, but nothing like that.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3117 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3117 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  6:47:21 PM  Show Profile
AMAZING!! What a wonderful find! I would be in that basement with a shovel right now if I were you :) I don't know anything about restoring pottery, but I wish you the best of luck with your treasure. Make sure you post a picture when you finally get it fixed up and displayed.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  6:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Tee hee hee... I knew you girls would enjoy this as much as me!!! ;) Thanks for sharing in my excitement! Good news should be spread and good things must be celebrated, to be sure!!!

You know what I think is super cool? See between the words "New" and "Geneva?" It's just a design, but if you look closely, it's as if it reads,"JOY JOY JOY" - how neat is that? That's what I think every time I gaze upon it - JOY! JOY! JOY! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  7:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I will, Heather! I actually have a lot of blue and gray pottery - we even have blue and gray stoneware dinnerware! I mean, this is so me! However we end up displaying it, this will definitely take center stage!!!

I would LOVE to start digging, but the dirt is behind a big wall of concrete brick, and the crawl space is uber tight... Maybe someday, though. My hubby would like to have a set of stairs installed going up from the basement to the first floor someday, sooooo.... someday it's bound to be dug out (digged out?)! I would love to know if someone can do some sort of X-Ray scan or sonar search of that side of the basement - kind of like the treasure hunters do - to see if there's anything else of note! I wouldn't even know who to look for! I emailed friends and family in our area... maybe they will have some ideas (OR want to start digging for us! LOL!)

About a year and one-half ago, a family friend who once owned our home (we met many years later and when she discovered where I lived, it was like we were suddenly family!), called because when they lived here they had seen some antique brass gaslight/sconces sitting on the dirt down there. She had friends who were interested in purchasing them, if we were willing. Alas, when my husband went down, he didn't see anything. The family that lived here between us probably dug them out and sold them or took them with them when they moved (apparently they took a LOT of stuff - so sad, but their perogative.). At that time, my husband didn't see this at all!

I wonder if the earth down there is moving or something... I really do suspect, though, that if the other family saw the antique sconces, and we found this antique crock, there must be other treasures hiding down there in the dirt. I just can't imagine who would've put that there - or why. Years and years ago, I think in the very early 1900's, our city experienced a devastating flood after a dam broke. I wonder if that may be how this stuff wound up down there. Out in the yard we've found old glass bottles and vials. And when we first moved here, my hubby went underneath the bay window area floor to insulate it, and found a couple of alcohol bottles and some neat old books with historical figures in them - like Buffalo Bill or someone like that - but they literally disintegrated in our hands. But we have never found anything of substance like this! I wonder if there was any sort of tradition that would encourage people to bury their treasures in their home like that? I don't know... It's quite a mystery that needs to be uncovered. I know our home was originally built and owned by the Vice President of Jeannette Glass (some of their milk glass and other art glass pieces are highly collectible to this day!), but you have to wonder why they would bury things like that down there... I think I need to do a little more research, for sure! If I find anything out, I'll definitely let you know!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  12:12:17 AM  Show Profile
Nini...that is so Awesome!!! Wow!!! I am with you...let's go dig up the rest of the Basement!! LOL.

So thrilled for you Girl!!! I am always drawn to those Crocks too but never wanted to pay the prices
people ask for them. So Enjoy that Fabulous Find and let us know if you discover anything else about
your piece of Pottery! Or if you need any of your Farmsisters to help you come dig a whole new basement
for you!!! LOL

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  02:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Such a beautiful find! So super glad you have had an upbeat experience recently! I am sure the Lord knew you needed it! Enjoy your treasure and looking forward to hearing what else you find!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  04:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
What a beautiful find!! Congratulations!! Enjoy.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6633 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6633 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  05:22:57 AM  Show Profile
NIni, that is one beautiful treasure your husband found!! How perfect a find was that??? !!!! Enjoy adding it to the collection!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7046 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7046 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  06:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I'm with you I see the Lord's hand in this. That's a beautiful crock. It definitely deserves a place of honor in your home.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3951 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3951 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  08:20:13 AM  Show Profile
I would make a paste of baking soda and water and gently scrub the jar. The things we have are precious to us. Even when we do not look at them everyday, it is still nice to know they are there waiting for us. We get old, store stuff away, lose track of what we have and sometimes tragedy moves it for us. The reasons are as many as there are people to articulate them.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  08:37:21 AM  Show Profile
Very cool find. Of course, my mind is running along the lines of "How did it get there?" "What was it used for" "When was it put there?" All the things you'll never know! Looks a little like pottery from Eldreth -- not sure what part of PA you're from, but Eldreth is over here in Chester County.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  10:39:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness my mind is working because this is such a great treasure hunt find. Perhaps you can do some research on whether there was a major flood in your area back in the "olden days". Something caused all that area to become buried. Are you on a flood plain or near a river? I bet the historical society in your area may know the land use back in that era and forward to before you moved in. Have fun with this. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  11:06:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini,,, what a fabulous find...
a local 4gal crock... possibly used to make sauerkraut...maybe even pickles, thou given the local, and the high German/Dutch settlers,,, my money is on a sauerkraut crock.
I would suggest Very gently cleaning it and then display it just as it is... don't do any repairs...
I have a 2gal A.K.Ballard grey w/blue design crock that I found back in Washington... as well as a 12gal cream w/blue crown design, wide mouth w/lid crock.. I am still researching that one...
They really are cool and were a everyday staple in the home,,, whether for food preserving or preparing(churning butter) or to wash things in... they were a necessity and probably cherished...
How lucky you are.. enjoy your piece of history and let us know what else you find out about it.
SCORE!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
What a treasure! YAY for you! Happy hunting . . . when you get to doing more of it!
We don't have a basement, couldn't if we wanted because of the rocks. But, we're the original "house builders" on this land anyway.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kerry
Alamogordo New Mexico
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  2:36:14 PM  Show Profile
WooHoo! That's fabulous! Good for you! :0)

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl #6712

Rain soothes the soul. Sunshine makes everything right.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  6:58:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow Nini, what a great find. Do research on it to find out how old it is. There were potteries everywhere but I'm sure it has a story. Good luck.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  8:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
I found this photo of various crocks with lid options...

I guess you could churn butter with the proper lid,,,

here is mine, about 1/2 the size of yours...

and like yours, mine does not have a lid either...
I do luv these... even if we never solve their mystery... they are still gems.
Now enjoy and let us know what history you do learn about yours.
hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

SlowQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Gina
West Palm Beach Florida
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  05:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Miraculous treasure indeed! Congratulations!
I'm with katmom on the cleaning part, most often these finds are worth more if not restored. So happy for you and looking forward to seeing what other treasures you might unearth.

"If you think you're too small to make a difference in the world, try spending a night in a tent with a mosquito."
Farmgirl Sister #6227
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1703 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1703 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  06:41:30 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful find Nini. You are so lucky.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  06:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Good gravy Nini! That is beautiful! Move over girl! I'LL come dig out your basement! Good find.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  08:01:38 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, girls! Wouldn't it be fun to have a weekend of farmgirl digging and fun at Nini's house! We'd have a blast!!! ;) Thanks for celebrating the find with me! SO exciting!!!

Marie - Thank you for the cleaning information! I really appreciate it!

Gracie - I LOVE your crock! I am sure it would've been used for sauerkraut or pickles... I would be THRILLED to be able to use these crocks on a daily basis!!!

Okay... Yesterday I contacted the New Geneva Stoneware Company. They were sooo excited for me! Unfortunately, the woman who answered the phone and the woman working with her were not very knowledgeable about the piece. They did, however, put me in touch with a local antique dealer who apparently is extremely knowledgeable about this stoneware, and they also gave me the number of the previous owner of the company - just in case. Here's what the dealer told me:

First of all, she was pretty excited for me when I told her how we came upon the crock. I sent her a picture of it and her initial response was that it is such BEAUTIFUL crock. She hasn't seen a 4 gallon crock like this in quite a while, so she is still researching a value for me. She said she doesn't think it's worth a ton of money, but there definitely is value in this find!

She said it's definitely local pottery from New Geneva - a four gallon wax seal crock from the 1860's (I was REALLY surprised by that date!) used for preserving all sorts of food. They would put whatever they wanted to preserve in the crock then seal it up with wax, so we won't be finding a lid for the crock down in the basement, that's for sure.

She explained that the stains could be from grease, but more likely they are there from age and from sitting in the dirt for so long. She said they do not affect the value of the piece - this happens all the time in older stoneware. There is one minor mark, however, on the front of the crock to the left of the design next to the number 4 that is not a stain. When you run your finger over it, it's as if there is a small piece protruding from the crock that has discolored - not necessarily anything worrisome to detract from the piece; it looks like something from when when it was made, nothing that occurred later, other than the aging and discoloration, of course. I was extremely surprised by her suggestion for removing the stains, though - floored, actually: She said if they are indeed grease stains to go ahead and use Easy Off to remove them - she said it wouldn't hurt the crock at all. (No - I can't see myself doing that!) She said if they're just stains from age, not to worry about them, and just go ahead and wash the crock really well with soap and water. As you girls suggested, she said not to do anything special to restore the crock: it's best left as is.

She advised me to keep it away from heat and display it in a safe spot where it won't be knocked over or bumped. That's a given! :)

She even suggested that I could still go ahead and actually USE it. I'm thinking she's right because, other than a few surface scratches which my husband says now occurred when he was pulling it out of the crawl space, there are no cracks or crazing on this crock anywhere! It's solid and inside looks just like my newer Salmon Falls Stoneware crocks! I would definitely have it checked by a professional first, though, before I use it for food preservation. And to be honest, I wouldn't want anything to happen to my treasure - I'm really only planning to display it!

She said that A. Conrad (from my research, probably Alexander Conrad) was actually the person who decorated the piece. She said the company had different potters (I think she meant artisans) who would decorate their pieces, which is why when you look up New Geneva pottery you see different names on the crocks. Isn't that something? Nowadays, as we find in our own Salmon Falls Stoneware collection from New Hampshire, potters have special marks that they incorporate into the design on the pottery, kind of like a hidden treasure in itself. Their secret markings add to the value of the pottery! But back then they BOLDLY pronounced themselves as the artisans. So interesting! I wonder if they valued crocks back then like we do, and whether the name on the front had a status-type significance or not. Does the A. Conrad name add to the value of the piece, for instance. I can't help wondering, considering our home was built and once owned by the second most prominent person in our town! The thing is, HE had to have owned the crock for quite a while himself. When we pulled down some wallpaper in the upstairs hallway, we found the signature and date of the person who papered the walls - "Geo. Meckley, 1897." So, we're figuring that although the city doesn't have an actual date for our home being built, it had to be sometime around then. That being the case, if the crock was made in the 1860's, it probably belonged to a mother or grandmother of one of the original owners! How cool is that?! There just has to be a story there!

Anyhow, the dealer I spoke with was just so nice. She sounded kind of hurried when we spoke, so I didn't receive any more information than that. I'm hoping when she calls back I can find out more about the significance of the designs on it, and why they would've just cast it down into the basement like that! After I speak with her, I am still planning to contact the former owner of the company to see if he is able to shed any more light on all of this, too.

I did email our friends who owned the house before us, two families ago. I had to laugh: My girlfriend said she lived here all those years (we think 20 or so), and she only ventured down into the creepy basement four times. She said she can't believe she never explored the crawl space, and that the crock has been sitting there this entire time - she said she's jealous! LOL! Nothing to be jealous about. When things are meant to be, they're meant to be!

That reminds me... She and her husband told us that when they lived here they found a carpenter's receipt dated 1898 (my husband thinks in the coat closet, I thought she said they found it under the cap on the newel post - I'll have to ask her)... So we're definitely in tune with the possible dating of the crock between the receipt they found and the signature and date we found under the wallpaper!

So, that's it for now... I'm hoping to hear back from her soon so I can ask more questions. If there is anything you think I should ask - please do let me know! I was so excited to speak with her and hear what she had to say that I definitely forgot to ask her important questions. I'm sure, then, that you all have questions that I may not even be thinking of asking!

Oh! And I did email a Crocker Farm in Maryland. They specialize and deal in old crocks like this. I'm hoping that they might be able and willing to shed more light on our treasure for us, as well. We can always swing by to have them check it out in person on one of our trips to my parents' home. I haven't heard back from them yet, of course, but I'm checking my email regularly!

How fun to watch the mystery unfold! Again - thanks for sharing in the excitement! I'll keep you posted!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 21 2015 10:55:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16441 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16441 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  09:41:45 AM  Show Profile
Be still my heart!!!! That is a fabulous find, Nini, and right under your nose all this time.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  10:17:35 AM  Show Profile
Nini!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, girlfriend! What a find! How much fun is that? What a treasure indeed.

I am so happy for you!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, MaryJane! I know! I know!!! Can you BELIEVE it?! I'm not kidding - I really want to dig down there and see if there's anything else!!!

SO much fun, Nicole! I just can't wait to find out more about the piece! I have a feeling that there is SO much more to the story to be uncovered! Keep your fingers crossed!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Check Out What My DH Found In The Basement! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page