Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Check Out What My DH Found In The Basement!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Check Out What My DH Found In The Basement! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  11:10:33 AM  Show Profile
Good find!!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  12:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Nini...if those are deep grease stains...maybe you could use some Original Dawn Dish Soap on it
and get it cleaner? Since it cleans up oil off the Oil Spills on birds and other wild life. I would use it full strength and rub, rub, rub...but not hard.

Just a thought...

Love that JOY, Joy, Joy!!! and the 1860 date! Wowsie!!!

Hugs and smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 21 2015 12:08:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  3:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini,,, not only is your journey in search of your Crock's History cool,,, but it is helping you piece together your home's inner history..
Journey On, girlfriend!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  6:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marly! Joy! Joy! Joy! ;)

Peggy! That is SUCH a good idea! I don't know what we're actually seeing here, but I do think it's just some sort of staining from age. I will try the Dawn this weekend, though, just to see!

Gracie - That's so true! I've always wanted to look into our home's history more... I think next spring I'll try to make time to go down to the Town Hall and see what I can find out... The basement does seem as though it was used as some type of workshop at one point. There's a big old bench, shelving, a small separate room... There's also an old coal cellar down there, but it's sealed off from the rest of the house now, and from the outside basement window, we can see it's all grown over with grass and weeds. Since the original family was wealthy, I can't help wonder if they had servants, and, if so, did they live in the basement, or, like in other old historic homes we've visited, did the basement serve as a cold cellar or canning kitchen or something at some point... Perhaps that is why the crock was down there... I just have no idea. We just need to do some more sleuthing around to see what we can find... and find out. It's kind of exciting, for sure!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 21 2015 6:48:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  05:30:11 AM  Show Profile
WOW, how wonderful is that , I would be going silly every time I went even went by the basement door. I'm with the others we if only we could all descend at your place and have a Farm Girl basement digging party. Hugs Karla
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  11:07:42 AM  Show Profile
Karla,,, I agree with you... let's all bring our flashlights and go visit Nini... heeheehee...
I'll bring the chocolate! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  6:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace, girls: If you do come with picks and shovels in hand, I'LL have the chocolate, for sure! ;) Heck, we could even take a road trip to Hershey!

Okay - so, I heard back from the gentleman at Crocker's Farm... Here is what he said:

"Thanks a lot for your email. That is a nice example Conrad's work, made roughly around 1875. Southwestern PA stoneware is very collectible, but most of the value is tied to the decoration: how elaborate it is, how bright the blue is, etc. All of that being said, this a little more unusual than some examples you see, but would probably sell for very roughly $350. I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions, etc.

Best,
Brandt Zipp
Crocker Farm, Inc."

I also received an email today from my girlfriend who owned our house two families ago. Here is what she found out:

"I had a patient today that has an antique shop. I showed her the picture of our crock. ( ha ha just kidding, your crock.) She thought it would be worth $400-$500. That was just from the picture. She said you left it there! I told her I had no idea it was there! Just thought I would let you know."

LOL! She is REALLY bummed they didn't find this when they lived here! LOL!

ANYHOW,

I also did a little research myself and found several other crocks similar to mine that were actually smaller that went at auction for anywhere between $575 to well over $1000! To be honest, though, the value only matters to me for insurance purposes. I don't plan on selling it. I just would really like to know more about the history of the piece, such as the significance of the rose, wheat and scroll designs. I'd also like to know more about A. Conrad, about where the piece was made, what it was actually used for in our home, and why-oh-why it wound up in the dirt in the basement!

I think the variants in the date and the value are probably due to several factors. They have a "Pittsburgh's Hidden Treasures" show, similar to "Antique Roadshow" at the Heinz History Center every year. I guess I'm going to have to watch for the next event. The people there are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about local history and antiques... Wouldn't THAT be interesting - and FUN!

I spoke with my BFF in RI this weekend, and she'd like to come down and help me get crackin' with the digging. She says she's SURE we'll find numbers 1, 2, 3 and 5 down there, too! LOL! 'Seems like suddenly EVERYONE wants to come visit this spring now! 'Better get the guest room ready! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  10:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Whoot WHoot! don't ya just luv hiden treasures...
hugz

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7543 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7543 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  07:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
What fun! Let's all come and dig - do you have lots of room for trailers and sleeping bags? LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2015 :  10:21:58 AM  Show Profile
ya,,, what Linda said...and chocolate too! snork, giggle...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  7:17:24 PM  Show Profile
Excellent find Nini! When my folks bought the farm after retiring from the service our old farmhouse had a root cellar-We were constantly threatened if we didn't do our chores, finish dinner, etc. we were to be banished down there. It was creepy---dirt floors and shelves tucked into the walls and it smelled odd. I steered clear of that portion of the closed off basement for years.

Are you planning any future excavating?

Melody
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  08:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Nini, So happy for you. What a wonderful blessing just waiting for you to find it!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  7:43:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for "celebrating" with me girls! Friends and neighbors have stopped by to see it and everyone is amazed! It sure has encouraged people to start nosing around in their cellars, too! ;)

Oh, Linda... You are ALL welcome to come, but my yard is a postage stamp... We live on a main road, however, and there is plenty of on-street parking! ;) Just don't come and try to park there in the winter... You will find folding chairs marking out neighbor's spots... And, by golly, if you even accidentally slightly move one, you're a goner! LOL! I have plenty of chocolate, though, Grace, so all's not lost! ;)

Melody - I hear you! Back in RI, I loved old basements. When we started looking at homes to buy around here, though, they ALL creeped me out. I had never seen half-dirt basements before, and I always wondered if in the old days that was where they buried their loved ones! LOL!

Denise - Thank you! I know! I still can't get over it! I wish the same for EVERYONE!!!

MaryJane - Thank you for putting this discovery in the recent Sister Issue! What a neat surprise! Maybe someone will see it and be able to shed more light on the mystery! Wouldn't THAT be cool!? You're the best!!!

Hugs to all -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3117 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3117 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  1:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
If there's chocolate involved better save room for me too!!! It's so awesome to find something so valuable and full of history. I wish I had a basement to dig in!!! Thanks for keeping us posted on your discoveries. I love that you're so thoughtful to include all of us on your treasure hunting.
Hugs,

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  02:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Nini how exciting!!! your an archaeologist :)

it looks like a 4 gallon fermenting crock.

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Check Out What My DH Found In The Basement! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page