Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  4:48:05 PM  Show Profile
So, over on the thread Thanksgiving 2014, I asked the question who was going to join me in having left over pie for breakfast on Friday morning. Erin answered she was tempted to join and that got me to thinking the following.

Since we all live here across the US( and our foreign located Farmgirls are welcome too), what about we start a new national holiday , Farmgirl Style. Friday, after Thanksgiving, will henceforth be known as National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast Day! We can enjoy whatever leftover pie we wish and encourage others to do the same. It will be fun and we can post photos of what we choose to enjoy here for everyone to have fun with.

Move over Black Friday... We Farmgirls just trumped you with a new holiday tradition!

Who will join me? Let us know on Friday what you chose.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Nov 25 2014 09:57:21 AM

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  5:45:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm in! I have to confess that if there is any pie in the house - on any day - I have it for breakfast. LOL

EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  5:48:41 PM  Show Profile
FUN!!!! Great idea Winnie! I am so in :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  6:13:06 PM  Show Profile
Pick me pick me I think Pie for breakfast is wonderful.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile
I am absolutely in!!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  7:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Here! Here! Three Cheers for National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast Day! Love it Winnie! GREAT idea! (We've always done the leftover pie for breakfast anyway! LOL!) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yup . . me too!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  05:31:02 AM  Show Profile
Welcome everyone to National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast tradition! Doesn't it feel fun to start a new trend? From some comments, pie for breakfast has been a long tradition already for some folks so we are just lifting up the practice and giving it more limelight! I once read that way back in agrarian America, apple pie for breakfast was common for famers. They got up at 4am to do milking chores and feed animals. By the time they came in for breakfast about 7:30 or 8am they were really hungry so pie was part of the regular menu for a hearty breakfast. We have an opportunity, don't you think, to bring back this farming tradition for at least one day a year? So, while you are enjoying your pie this coming Friday, we can give a prayer of thanks for the legacy of all the farmers who have in the past and remain today committed to growing the food.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  05:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Winnie - I too have read about pie being a breakfast food for farmers... In fact, I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure it is mentioned in the Little House books.,. Maybe Farmer Boy!? I'm going to have to look it up!

Out of curiosity, does any one else start decorating for Christmas on that day as well? Rather than shopping, we start decorating :)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16400 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16400 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  07:25:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm TOTALLY in!!! We're having pumpkin, apple, and berry pies. (We've always planned for pie leftovers.) PieOvers? So the leftover whipped cream can go in my Friday morning breakfast tea, served with of course, PIE!!! Oh my.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  08:48:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm in! I'll be doing a Whole30 approved apple pumpkin pie with almond and coconut flour crust. (Normally its not okay on the Whole30 to "technically cheat" by using whole foods made into things like pie, pancakes, etc., but since it is a Holiday they put out some recipes so you don't have to totally miss out over a Holiday!) So, apple pumpkin pie it is for Friday morning! Looking forward to celebrating with my farmgirl sisters!!!! I'm also going to mark it on the calendar! :D Fab idea!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  09:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Diana,
I remember Robin and I had pie for breakfast at your house our last road trip. It was yummy apple and brought to you by a friend!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 25 2014 11:25:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  10:21:41 AM  Show Profile
Let us know, Shannon, if you find a reference for the pie for breakfast in the Little House Books. That would be fun to know because I honestly can't remember where or when I read that tidbit of information.

Does anyone else, like Shannon, enjoy starting to decorate after eating Thanksgiving dinner? I know it is a tradition for many families. Do you like to decorate on Thanksgiving Day too?

Hey MaryJane, maybe PieOvers will be the next book in commemoration that WE FARMGIRLS, right here on the MJF Connection, started a new national trend for the Friday following Thanksgiving. I just bet there are lots of people who would love to join in and many who already do but didn't know they were part of a larger movement. Farmers and Pie Makers Unite! We're taking the hill with Pie for breakfast this coming Friday! And for added vigor, make sure you save your whip cream for breakfast tea or coffee like MaryJane suggested.

Mention this to your friends and family and let us know here what the feedback is. Don't you just bet, they want to be in on all the fun and intrigue?

" Hurrah for the fun!
Is the Turkey done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!"
Lydia Child

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile
We actually kick off the Christmas season on Thanksgiving night, visiting the local country Christmas light display at the local fairgrounds. It's awesome... Light displays everywhere, country kitchens full of Christmas goodies, a train display, a holiday country store filled with locally home made goods, a special visit with Santa with a display of antique toys throughout the years, a live Nativity, a horse-drawn ride complete with jingle bells and woolen blankets, a HUGE bonfire and hot cider to take off the chill, music ringing EVERYWHERE... it even has a talking Christmas tree to widen the children's eyes! Here is a link where you can check out pictures and videos, which includes a little history about its founder... http://www.overlys.com/media-gallery/ And I assure you, as great as they are, they just don't do it justice!!! They have added so much since these photos were taken. The entry when you walk in is a cover of gently twinkling white lights... It's magical! Makes you just want to cozy up under your honey's coat and smooch in the holiday! *<|;)} Then, beginning with our big pie breakfast on Friday (of course!), all the rest of Thanksgiving weekend we're "redding up" for Christmas, decorating, putting up the tree, writing out cards, baking, wrapping gifts and enjoying the local sights and sounds. Last year we found the most WONDERFUL local tree farm on Thanksgiving weekend. The trees were all chemical free, fresh cut, and ours lasted well after New Years! I am SO excited just thinking about heading out on Sunday... I hope the weather holds out! Once the tree is up and the Creche is displayed, it's Christmas to me! :) Oh my... I am so in the Christmas spirit! I'd better chill and slow myself down so I can thoroughly enjoy Thanksgiving first! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 25 2014 11:08:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  11:35:04 AM  Show Profile
Winnie - Here is the email I sent to family and friends...

Subject:

"Move Over Black Friday..."

Body:

"...MaryJane's Farmgirls have trumped you with a NEW holiday tradition!

"Thanks to our deeply beloved Farmgirl Sister and Farmgirl of the Year, Winnie, the Friday after Thanksgiving will henceforth be known as:

"National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast Day!

"Friday morning, everyone is encouraged to enjoy your favorite leftover pie - pies??? - for breakfast with family and friends; then share pictures and stories with those loved ones far away. This way, in a sense, we'll all be celebrating the beginning of the Christmas season together - the way holidays are meant to be!

"Not a farmgirl? P'shaw!!! Don't let that give you pause! Deep down, there's surely a little farmgirl in the hearts of all of us!

"So, celebrate on, Farmgirls-At-Heart! Celebrate on!

"Three cheers for National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast Day!

"Be sure to spread the news... Let's make this a national movement!

"Happy Holidays to All!

"- <Signature>

"Interested in learning more about MaryJane's Farm? Check out the current issue newsstands everywhere! Even better - pull up a chair, stop by the Farmgirl Connection and join us for a spell! http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/active.asp You will LOVE it there!"

I hope this inspires others to spread the joy! *<|;)} Thanks for coming up with such a wonderful new tradition, sister!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 25 2014 11:45:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  12:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Winnie!
Thank you Nini!
Most likely it will be my Crunchy Walnut Topped Pumpkin pie at my house!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  12:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes the Pastors wife and she has a great crust. I was just thinking a baking a pie, to eat in the morning. I am thinking Peach.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  12:58:10 PM  Show Profile
My son... Seriously... He just asked if I'm making pie for Thanksgiving... I replied, "No, I thought we'd go rogue this Thanksgiving." He wryly responded that he doesn't appreciate my sarcasm concerning food so close to the holiday... Well, what was he thinking?! Am I making pie for Thanksgiving... Seriously now! He may as well had asked if I'm making turkey!

Ooo! I just realized I have that home canned blueberry and cherry pie filling in my pantry, too! Yay! Now I'm going to add those pies to the pumpkin and apple already on the dessert/breakfast menu, too! This is fun! :)

Has anyone ever made cranberry pie? I was just reading recipes for that this morning... I bet that'd be good with vanilla ice cream... Oh! Or, even better - a cranberry cheesecake - mmmm!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  2:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Nini - I too thought of the blueberry pie filling in my pantry... So it will be blueberry, apple, and pumpkin... And my hubby has requested pecan!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  3:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Nini, the photo gallery of your community Christmas display at the fairgrounds is amazing! It is quite beautiful and it sounds like everyone has a great time with all of the activities. This would definitely get someone in the holiday spirit!!

Thanks too for sharing your great email encouraging your friends and family to join us for the National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast celebration. Who could resist an invitation like that?? You have to let us know if people respond back that they are all in for the occasion. I have sent out invitations to some friends of mine as well.

With all of these pie ideas coming out, there is going to be some fantastic breakfasts come Friday morning. Whoop!!! You Farmgirls are amazing. Just . Amazing!! And Nini, I believe you had the best idea to tell people that all it takes is being a Farmgirl at Heart. Honestly, that invitation that MaryJane has out there was all I needed to feel like I could join. I don't live on a farm or have much experience with farmgirl skills, but I have learned so much just doing a few badges and participating in this forum! Plus, I can wear an apron like the best of them!! LOL!! Who knows, Friday might just be the outreach to someone to join here with us. That would be so awesome! Now that would be an advertising sensation. Signing up recruits by eating Pie for Breakfast. I love the idea!!!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  3:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Winnie,
I've been eating pie for breakfast every time I make one ... And trust me when I say there is nothing better than a slice of pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice coffee the morning after!
Here is my contribution ... Pie, it's what's for breakfast! Don't like that one, how about
Pie, the new breakfast of champions! or Pie, it's not just for dessert anymore ... LoL!
I will be joining you with a big slice of my homemade pumpkin pie!
Thanks for rallying the troops!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
www.google.com/+whitesheepfarm
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2014 :  5:01:21 PM  Show Profile
I FOUND IT!

In Farmer Boy it says "As soon as Mother finished straining the milk, they all sat down and Father asked the blessing for breakfast. There was oatmeal with plenty of thick cream and maple sugar. There were fried potatoes, and the golden buckwheat cakes, as many as Almanzo wanted to eat, with sausages and gravy or with butter and maple syrup. There were preserves and jams and jellies and doughnuts. But best of all Almanzo liked the spicy apple pie, with its thick, rich juice and its crumbly crust. He ate two big wedges of the pie."

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  06:17:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm TOTALLY IN! Pumpkin pie...breakfast of champions, for sure!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  11:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, THANK-YOU for finding this confirmation that indeed pie for breakfast has long been a farm tradition!!

Teri, I love your various tag lines for our National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast Day! They are all good and I had also thought about Breakfast of Champions. Heheheh, we have started a national trend here with so many Farmgirls all joining in.

I just finished making my pie, which was an Apple Pie. Are you surprised I chose apple??? I though about pumpkin, but I couldn't resist apple for some reason. When I showed my husband the pie, he asked if we had to wait ? Of course, we have to wait~! Knowing us, If we dig in today, there might not be any left for Friday! LOL!! I am thinking I might have to follow the Farmer Boy and eat two wedges myself and wash it down with my Pumpkin Spice coffee, like Teri does.

Welcome everyone who is joining the posting and I am thrilled we discovered such a fun thing we can all do together on Friday despite the miles between us!!

Let's hear it for National Farmgirl Pie for Breakfast Day!! Whoop!! If I close my eyes and imagine.....I can just see Farmgirls everywhere all aproned up and making delicious pies to enjoy at Thanksgiving dinner. Can't you just see it too??

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  11:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Blueberry Pie is made.... Pumpkin Pie is about to go in the oven... Then I need to make pecan pie and 4 apple pies (we will deliver three of the apple pies tomorrow to the fire departments and police department). I feel like a bakery at the moment :) Once the pies are done, I need to roast the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkins used for the pumpkin pies (I roasted way too many pumpkins, lol) I may make some pumpkin muffins for breakfast tomorrow with the extra pumpkin...

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  7:02:59 PM  Show Profile
I love pie for breakfast. It feels so decadent and very worth it. We usually allow birthday cake the day after birthday even for the kids so pie on Friday is easy to have and I will enjoy eating it with all you lovely ladies. If we can't truly have breakfast together we can in spirit.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic New Farmgirl National Holiday??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page