Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I guess this is a strange topic, but I was just wondering which foods you REALLY dislike. For me it's crunchy onions. I like the aroma of cooking onions, and onion salt but NO fresh onions. It's a texture thing. Can't handle the chunks. I have a very bad gag reflux, and those onions just send me in orbit! (I can think about yesterdays dog poop and gag!!) Others are oysters, sushi, calamari, boiled egg whites, bell peppers. Yuck!!! Again texture!! So has anyone ever tackled a negative texture issue when it comes to food, and won??

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Edited by - Luzy on Nov 04 2006 6:43:13 PM

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  6:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Black licorice I was sick as a kid and my grandmother gace me a piece thinking it a treat a few seconds latter I tossed my cookies haven't been able to stand the smell or tast of it since. I also can't stand cookies/cake/ or ice cream with nuts in it. As kids we went out to Swensen's Ice cream for my birthday I ate a piece of bubble gum ice cream to find broken glass in my mouth so I just can't stand hard food in soft food. My husband thinks that sound funny. Basicly no hard items in those three things.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com

Edited by - sunshine on Nov 04 2006 6:48:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  6:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sunshine your broken glass reminded me of something else, eggshell! At my last job I had an hour commute. One morning i grabbed an Egg Mc muffin, hopped on the freeway, took a bite and yep a big ol bite of EGGSHELL!!! GAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  6:17:02 PM  Show Profile
My friends and I had this discussion on the way home from getting haircuts today. For me, it's liver. Blecch. As soon as I found out what function certain body parts had, well....I'm very picky about what I eat! I clearly remember my mother sitting a plate of calf's liver, lima beans and mashed potatoes in front of me for dinner when I was 5 or 6. Talk about unappetizing textures! I only ate the potatoes. And I got in trouble. But I didn't care, because I didn't have to eat that liver!!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  6:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I'm with you! I don't eat meat. Don't like it - love animals....but liver - a filtering organ. My parents used to cook it and even the smell. Yuck! But also, I will fry eggs for a fried egg sandwich. And if it has any jiggley white, I can't eat it. Just the thought causes a problem for me. But meat! My parents raised hogs when I grew up...so I never could stand the thought of it!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

Edited by - berries on Nov 04 2006 6:26:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  6:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
never had liver till I married my husband tasted one bite never having that again nasty stuff

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  7:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I really really really don't like pasta. I mean ANY pasta..I know..most people love the stuff. I just have always hated it. It is a texture thing for sure. That and mayo..yuck!!! (and I don't like miracle whip either..none of the gross greasy white stuff!!)
I have a bad gag reflex thing too, and when I was a waitress it was all I could do to carry the plates to the table when people ordered liver..ugh!!
Besides that I am not at all picky...well, maybe a little about HOW things are cooked..I don't like my veggies over cooked and don't want that mayo on anything ever.
When my husband and I were getting married..first time I went grocery shopping I asked what his favorite type of meat for sandwiches was..he always brought his lunch to work and I wanted him to like the sandwiches I made for him. He said he liked liverwurst best of all and I made him pick something else. He hasn't had it in over 10 years now..I told him he would just have to pick another favorite. He was good natured enough to go along with that.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  8:04:33 PM  Show Profile
Kidney?? C'mon now, anybody REALLY eat that?

Oh and I'm with Aunt Jenny on the mayo...yik.

I have a thing with orange juice...started sometime in my teens, one night with friends. Nuff said. :)
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  9:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Yuck on the mayo, here, too. I also just CANNOT eat fat - I have to trim off little tiny pieces of meat to avoid it most times - even on meat that comes from my own farm. Also, raw eggs. I had a raw quail egg on some sushi, and I LOVE sushi, but that one about did me in. NEVER again!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  05:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Hate liver. Love chopped chicken liver on bagels with cream cheese and onion!

Hate meat. Haven't had beef for 30 years.

Other than that, I think I love food.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  06:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Jenny- My son can echo your distatse for mayo!! When he was in Mexico, the first dinner he had was ended with a bowl of bananas and cream being presented to him. Following the lead of the family, he sprinkled sugar on it, took a big bite and..........Gagged!!! It was bananas and MAYONNAISE! Yuck! But, it beat the goat eyeball soup he had to eat!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  06:42:15 AM  Show Profile
ihave such fond memroies of going 'downtown' to the five and dime store with my nannie when i was a little girl ... and also to a local hotel restaurant ... and we would order 'liver and onions' ... and i did indeed create a 'fancy'for it ... or maybe it was a 'comfort food' because of the time spent with my nannie. as an adult, i must say i still like the taste .. but haven't eaten it since growing up and reaizing it's function in the body!

i like most foods .. just the 'strange' ones like 'unidentifiable body parts' .. will NOT pass the portals of my lips! thought i didn't like 'catfish' .. but that too, is a childhood memory of hearing how dirty the potomac river had become and that is where manyof these 'homely' critters came from .. but when moving to kentucky, i was enticed to try it .. and i love it!

i do like most foods! (nothing RAW or really nasty tasting though!)

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  07:18:48 AM  Show Profile
Bananas. The smell & texture both make me gag. (Strangely, I can eat banana bread without any problems) Also with you on the mayo.

I stopped eating meat at age 12 after years of dinner table battles with my mother, I always hated the texture & was the oddball kid who would eat all the vegetables on my plate and not touch the meat (or slip it to the dog under the table). I'm the only veggie I know who made the choice for taste reasons as opposed to ethical/environmental ones.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  08:59:09 AM  Show Profile
I love food and will try ANYTHING at least once and believe me I have tried some weird stuff! I really can not think of anything I would refuse to eat because of taste or texture. The only things I AVOID are Velveeta Cheese (it's not really cheese, margarine (it's not really butter) and a lot of fried foods but if I went somewhere and it was served I would eat it and enjoy. And for the record I cook the giblets from the turkey and while my cats usually get most of them as a special thanksgiving treat I would and have eaten them and enjoyed them!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  10:09:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm lactose intolerant so don't like ice cream any more. It's just not worth it. Plus since I had bariatric surgery a few years ago, the sugar in one scoop of ice cream gives me such a rush that I have to go lie down and recover. Same way with cake and doughnuts, just not worth the illness. For some reason cookies and fruit pies are OK, but cream pies are a BIG no-no.

Since I switched to brown bread and whole-grain food I really don't like white bread much any more, esp. like Wonder Bread. It tastes like a sponge.

I had liver and onions once a week as a kid and like it OK, stopped eating it in the eighties when the publicity about toxins was published widely. I still like it once every few years or so.

When I was a kid, my mother was from Florida, I HATED grits. I like them now. Maybe because they remind me of my mother.

I had kidneys a few times when I lived in Spain, they were OK. I had squid (calamare) at the Japanese restaurant for dinner last night and everyone else said "YUCK" but I learned to like these in Spain too.

I don't like okra (probably the texture) and collard greens (too strong) but love spinach, turnip greens, and cabbage.

I like most fish but some kinds are just too "fishy" for me. Like bass and bluegill from my dad's pond. They smell like algae.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  3:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Mine is, are you ready?, French Toast. Actually, I can eat SOME french toast, but if it gets at all soggy, forget it. It's more the texture thing. When I was in middle school I spent the night at a friends house, and her mom made us french toast in the morning. It was so soggy and slimy I almost lost it, but I MADE myself eat some because I was trying to be polite. I've become very suspicious of french toast since then!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2006 :  5:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
one way to keep it from getting slimmy is toast bread first then dunk in egg then recook. instead of putting syrup put whip cream and stawberris or just use powder sugar no syrup and use thick bread not thin normal bread from the grocery store. the bread that is twice as thick on sliced size

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  03:44:25 AM  Show Profile
for me it's got to be lima beans and peas. I'll eat both in polite company,but have to swallow them whole every time. For the peas it's the pop in your mouth and for limas, it's the pasty slime. Sometimes undercooked baked beans are like limas to me and I'll have to swallow them whole too. I love home made chili, same for those kidney beans (and Wendy's chili) swallowed whole.

As a kid I never really much cared for meatloaf either....until I discovered BBQ sauce! Now I can eat it ' cause it's basically like hamburger loaf.

Don't like mayo...it's the slime factor too. So for BLT's, I'll stomach the tomatoes as long as I can doctor w/ salt and pepper, but I'm a mustard kind of gal through and through.

I can cook w/ eggs but can't eat something like a quiche or omlette or raw cookie dough. I'll get a bad reaction and my stomach will hurt all day! But boy, it all sure smells great! Real mayo will do the same so at picnics and large food gatherings I have to be careful w/ potato salads and coleslaw. Give it about 10 minutes, and my system will tell me so. Oh the agony!

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  04:51:06 AM  Show Profile
Mine would be beets. It's a childhood thing too. I had to stay at the neighbors one night for dinner and beets were served. I was only 6 or 7 and had never had them before. The smell made me gag and I told the lady I couldn't eat them. She insisted...I remember gagging them down. I have never tried them again since.

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  08:19:52 AM  Show Profile
In our family growing up, we weren't really allowed to not like anything. We had to eat it anyway cuz there might not be anything else. Being the main cook from an early age helped me develop ways to make almost anything edible.

I was the oddball kid that loved liver and spinach, but didn't like lobster. I still like bizarre stuff like haggis, octopus, wild game, and most veggies.

The only things I truly dislike are half cooked eggs (hubby's favorite), artifical smoke flavorings or anything with that in it, hominy and kim chee. I'm not sure I'd like cow's tongue or brains, but haven't tried them. There are a few other body parts I'd rather not try as well.

French toast must be well cooked. I don't like it slushy or slimy.

I love grits but hate hominy. Go figure.

I've developed a taste for most fish and seafood, but have certain ways I prefer it cooked.

Will eat fresh brussel sprouts cooked with stewed tomatoes and italian herbs, but not any other way. (Please send me brussel sprouts recipes if you have found a way to like them! I'm willing to try them new ways to see if there is any way I can learn to like them.)

[for some reason, this forum keeps changing my spelling of brussel sprouts... weird. Maybe it doesn't like them! LOL.]

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Nov 06 2006 08:25:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile
The only food I really don't like is olives. I've just never been able to stomach them.
Oh, and now that I think of it, cilantro is another food that I don't like. As soon as there is some Pico de Gallo on the table, I can smell it instantly.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  8:34:42 PM  Show Profile
I can remember when I was a kid my dad bought a big box of cordial cherries(chocolate covered cherries). We were going to some friends house and in the car he gave me one. EWWWW! I would not swallow! I held that thing in my mouth until we got there (about 30-45 minutes later) And as soon as my dad opened the door of the car I spit it out as fast as I could get it out. YUCK!
There are several other foods I just dont like, but my thinking is "If it sounds gross to me, than it is gross" No changing my mind. My husband tries to get me to try stuff all the time like sushi( I dont eat it cooked, why would I want to eat it raw). Nope is my answer if it is even questionable to me.
Now as far as things I like. I pretty much like any kind of potatoes, baked, mashed, you name it. I love fruit and salads. Cereal is always a hit. I guess I like pretty healthy things, but I dont always eat that way. I like the goodies too. Bakery stuff is my favorite! Yum. And how about some chocolate...anyone,anyone?

lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  10:54:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh Ali, I am so with you on the olives . I really figure they have to taste and smell different to most people than they do to me. Funny as there is very little food I don't like the taste of, but olives are just horrid! Even the smell of them in the bulk display case will nauseate me. Strange eh?
Di
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  12:15:19 AM  Show Profile
Beets win by a mile! They just taste like...dirt!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  10:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Erin, I ate my way through Africa! Talk about some good wild game!

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  2:21:34 PM  Show Profile
Annab - oooh, that sounds like fun! I love African food. What did you try? I have a cookbook from the Dallas Safari Club which has some really wild game recipes... and I'm not talking moose or elk... Plus we have some great Ethiopian and Nigerian restaurants here in Dallas.

I saw some antelope and ostrich (and a couple of other animals which I won't mention for fear of offending our more sensitive souls here...) at one of our local ethnic stores, but I was too chicken to try it.(No pun intended!) I had no way of verifying that it was what they said it was, and since there was some doubt, I passed... It looked absolutely wonderful - very lean. Pricey though.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Foods we don't like and why Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page