Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  09:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone interested in a thread where we could share a health hint of the day? It could be a reminder of something we all should know or something you have read or discovered elsewhere?

For today.

For heart health it is shown that laughter promotes blood flow and opens blood vessels. How great that something that is fun is really good for us! Suggestion: If you haven't already found it, check out the Across the Fence forum for "Let's laugh our way through 2014".

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  2:39:39 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea! Thank you for sharing your hint with us.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2014 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile

Breast-Feeding Might Reduce Moms' Odds of Rheumatoid Arthritis

Women who breast-feed may have a lower risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis later in life, new research suggests. Study in China finds risk cut nearly in half after nursing.(HealthDay News)
From other sources I have heard that it also reduces the risk of breast cancer. So what is good for the baby is also good for the mom!

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile
The Health Benefits of House Plants

1. House plants clean the air.
2. House plants make you happy, feeling calmer and more optimistic. Studies have shown that hospital patients who face a window with a garden view recovered more quickly than those who had to look at a wall.
3. Plants fight fatigue and colds by increasing humidity and decreasing dust.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  09:13:15 AM  Show Profile
I agree Susan, plants warm up a house and make me feel happier. Especially in the winter time.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2014 :  08:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Drinking enough water is important in many ways! Eight cups a day seems like a lot but you can get used to it.
One is that it can help prevent Osteoporosis.
The formation of strong bones needs adequate hydration and there is some evidence the dehydration is responsible for the loss of calcium in bones that accompanies aging is many people.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2014 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Stay active!

According to Reader's Digest;

"Chores Protect Your Ticker
..People who did the most yard work, housecleaning, and DIY projects had a nearly 30 percent lower rick of a first-time cardiovascular event like a heart attack or stroke compared with those who were the most sedentary, according to a new Swedish study of 3.800 older adults."

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

auntsmelly
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Jenny
Pitman NJ
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2014 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Been taking a supplement of evening primrose to help with pre-menopause problems (moodiness/fibroid tumors)
and it actually seems to be effective. Any other suggestions for pre-menopause?
Would love to hear.

Always be joyful; never stop praying; be thankful in all circumstances.
1Thessalonians 5:16-18
Jenny,
Blessed Farmgirl #4359
FGOM October 2013
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  07:13:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm a big believer in diet affecting our body and its functions.

Sugar, caffeine and alcohol can exaggerate hormonal symptoms. A friend switched from sugar to using almost all agave sweeteners and found that helped her arthritis symptoms too. Herbal teas can a have many positive effects as well as avoiding so much caffeine.
You could check the following site.
Check out this article "4 Ways to Manage Perimenopause Through Diet" at www.doctoroz.com/blog/kate-geagan-ms-rd/manage-perimenopause-diet

Even when you are in pre-menopause these could help though the cycle.

Susan

Mary Oliver

Edited by - Cindy Lou on Feb 18 2014 12:29:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  12:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Avoid artificial coloring in food. The U.S. is far behind some other countries in protecting people from some of these dangerous additives.

Studies show that artificial colorings which are found in soda, fruit juices and salad dressings, may contribute to behavioral problems in children and lead to a significant reduction in IQ. Animal studies have linked other food colorings to cancer. Watch out for these ones:

Blue #1 and Blue #2
Banned in Norway, Finland and France. May cause chromosomal damage

Found in: candy, cereal, soft drinks, sports drinks and pet foods

Red dye # 3 (also Red #40 – a more current dye)
Banned in 1990 after 8 years of debate from use in many foods and cosmetics. This dye continues to be on the market until supplies run out! Has been proven to cause thyroid cancer and chromosomal damage in laboratory animals, may also interfere with brain-nerve transmission

Found in: fruit cocktail, maraschino cherries, cherry pie mix, ice cream, candy, bakery products and more!

Yellow #6 and Yellow Tartrazine
Banned in Norway and Sweden. Increases the number of kidney and adrenal gland tumors in laboratory animals, may cause chromosomal damage.

Found in: American cheese, macaroni and cheese, candy and carbonated beverages, lemonade and more!

Check out this info and more at www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/top-10-food-additives-to-avoid

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  05:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the information Susan. I appreciate your daily tips. Hope the other farm girls jump in here with a few of their own!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  09:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Dawn.
I'm not an expert and would have a hard time finding something each day, but if more join in.... Farmgirls are known to be smart and resourceful and open to sharing ideas. Do you have any "old time/made with things on hand" remedies?

This is an oldie suggestion but having a cold now reminded me of the help I got from a dear old farmlady. Our daughter was little, probably under 2 years old. Her cough was shaking her little body. It was late at night. She couldn't sleep and when she couldn't sleep DH and I couldn't sleep This was when there was no 24 hour drugstore/grocery/conveience store. I called Wanda, kind of a next-door neighbor version of my Mom.
She suggested cutting up a big onion. Cooking is slowly in a skillet so the juice would flow and adding sugar to make a cough syrup. I cooled it down and it worked!

Susan

Mary Oliver

Edited by - Cindy Lou on Feb 20 2014 09:45:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  09:50:27 AM  Show Profile

How to Make a Hot Toddy Recipe
By eHow Contributor
If have a cold and cough, you might be searching for the perfect hot toddy recipe. A good, hot toddy has helped many a person get over their cold or flu!
Things You'll Need
whiskey, rum, scotch or bourbon
one lemon
one tablespoon of honey
Instructions
1. Gather all of the supplies needed to follow the hot toddy recipe.
2. Decide which alcohol you want to use. You can either use whiskey, bourbon, rum or scotch. Depending on where you live, different areas have different traditions for which alcohol is best to use.
3. Boil a cup of water and set it aside. Mix your one shot (1 oz) of your alcohol of choice with a tablespoon of honey. Cut a slice of lemon to put into your hot toddy and squeeze the juice of the rest of the lemon into the mixture.
4.Pour your hot water over the mixture and stir until the honey is fully dissolved. Drink and enjoy. You will feel better in no time.

We sometimes add an aspirin, when its dissolved you won't taste it.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  12:33:09 PM  Show Profile
It seems to really help cut the length of a cold when I take 1000 mg of Vitamin C every 4 hours when I first feel it coming on. If you don't use the timed-release variety it doesn't stay in your system any longer than that.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  9:53:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ddmashayekhi

I agree Susan, plants warm up a house and make me feel happier. Especially in the winter time.

Dawn in IL

I like Susan's reminder, too, Dawn. Your comment really hit home, though -- that plants are warming, It's true! The apartment I had in the city years ago was practically a greenhouse! Ironically, ever since I moved to the country, I haven't had house plants at all, just cut flowers and greens from outside in warm weather.

There are very few places to buy houseplants in the country, at least around here. Just some things at Home Depot that don't even seem real. I think I'll make it a little project to see what I can get growing in this too-cold house! I hope I can remember how to keep cats out of potting soil ;)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  10:03:16 PM  Show Profile
Susan, thanks for the hot toddy recipe. I've got some dark rum handy, so I'm going to try it!
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  05:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Just read the book Cancer: Step Outside the Box. This is not just for people with cancer. It was a wealth of information about natural treatments of cancer and also things to do to prevent cancer and live a healthier life. I had inter loaned it at the library. I am going to ask the librarian to buy it for our library. It was wonderful and gave me lots of food for thought and things to try for my own health. Well worth your time if you like to read and interested in your health.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2014 :  07:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Nice to see some others stopping in! I will check if our library has the book Kem recommends, sounds interesting.

Just a hint about handling congestion. It can be so hard to sleep with a cold, I start breathing with my mouth and end up with a nasty dry, sore throat. Try nasal strips, like Breathe Right. The stick on the outside of the nose and hold it open a bit. It feels a little weird at first but breathing is pretty important! WalMart had a cheaper version Called Clear Passage the glue seems to be a little less irritating to the skin.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2014 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Yoga for High Blood Pressure
Yoga can be a very beneficial therapy to lower high blood pressure naturally. A gentle, soothing practice of yoga stretches settles mind and body and reduces stress. Yoga postures tend to switch on the parasympathetic nervous system, reponsible for rest and repair, and turn off the sympathetic nervous system, used for the fight-or-flight stress response. Increased parasympthatetic activity has a beneficial effect on many systems in the body, and allows the nervous system to become more balanced, freeing up the body’s inherent healing response.

... However, there are some cautions that need to be considered...If you are on hypertensive medication, you will want to continue your medication and only phase it out under a doctor’s supervision. ...
If you have cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardioascular disease ... seeing your physician if you have these conditions is essential; any medications you may be taking should also be discussed.
In general, positions(asanas) that put the body in an inverted position, having the legs higher than the heart and the heart higher than the head should be avoided by people with cardiovascular disease. ...

Positions that do not invert the body are beneficial for people with high blood pressure. Calming restorative yoga asanas are particularly useful for reducing stress and lowering blood pressure naturally, as are intensive stretching poses like leg stretches and hip openers. Favor yoga asanas that put the spine in a horizontal position, which allows the heart to slow down, as it takes less effort to pump the blood to the brain...
Not only will you avoid unwanted side effects from blood pressure medication, when blood pressure is lowered naturally because your nervous system becomes more balanced, your whole mind and body system benefits. This means you, generally speaking, will feel better, have more energy, will perform better during the day, and have more resources for coping with stress.

Find more info at www.yogauonline.com

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2888 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2888 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2014 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Susan
I don't have anything to add, but wanted you to know that I read and appreciate your posts each day
Thanks!!!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  11:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair
When it comes to healthy hair, it’s not just what you put on your tresses that counts -- it’s what you put in your body, too.
By Elizabeth B. Krieger, according to www.WebMD.com
1. Salmon
2. Walnuts
3. Oysters
4. Sweet Potatoes
5. Eggs
6. Spinach
7. Lentils
8. Greek yogurt
9. Blueberries
10. Poultry

Check their site for more details.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  12:34:09 AM  Show Profile
thanks!
marianne
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  06:45:52 AM  Show Profile
On NBC Nightly News last night there was a report about pregnant women using Tylenol/actaminaphin Though they have been thought to be safe there is now a study that shows pregnant women taking these may be 27% more likely to have a child with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder). More studies will be done. Tylenol insists their product is safe. But this is worth considering if you are, want to be, or know and love someone who is pregnant.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  3:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Prevent hip pain.
When I mentioned to a local chiropractor that I woke with achy hips she suggested that since I sleep on my side, I should place a pillow between my knees to keep my hips more aligned through the night. I have since found out that some others find it helps them too.

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cindy Lou

Prevent hip pain.
When I mentioned to a local chiropractor that I woke with achy hips she suggested that since I sleep on my side, I should place a pillow between my knees to keep my hips more aligned through the night. I have since found out that some others find it helps them too.

Susan

Mary Oliver

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2014 :  6:10:23 PM  Show Profile
Western medicine can do many amazing things but often ignores the wisdom of Eastern cultures with centuries of experience and other alternatives. Do you have experiences with medical alternatives? In the next few days I will share some of my experiences and hope some of you will join me.

Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Health hint of the day Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page