crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering if anyone has any helpful hints on things I can try for depression and anxiety. I see a DOC for these issues and take medication, I'm trying really hard to get off my meds and control these in a different manner. The side effects or horrid but suffering from these diseases are just as bad. If anyone is willing to share some ideas I would deeple appreciate it!!

Lori

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi, I use to be on meds too but started years go taking St. Johns Wort, Kava Kava, Black Cohosh and a B complex vit. , I didn't like the side effects of the meds either so the herbs and vit. seem to work great for me. Good luck on what ever you try.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile
Bless your heart! I can relate because I have the same problems. But sometimes medication is the only way. If it is not working, talk to your doctor. I have had to re-evaluate my meds about every two years, sometimes more often, because they tend to quit working. Sometimes you need to change dosage or combine one medicine with another. Please don't quit your meds, until you talk to a DR. and don't let other folks talk you into quitting. I had to fight with my own family to get them to quit telling me to go off my meds. "you don't need it" "they are habit forming" "just pull yourself up by your bootstraps". How can other folks think that my Dr and myself didn't know what we were doing? And if you Dr won't help you, go to a different one! If you were a Diabetic would you quit taking insulin because someone told you it was habit forming?

I do think you need to take vitamins with your meds and I have been taking B-12 to help me gain some energy. I have talked to my Dr about St Johns Wort and he said it helps but it is very mild. If it works for you Penny, that is great. And it may be the ticket for you Lori, but please talk to your Dr. first.

Also, get outside everyday, listen to music you love and call a friend when you get down. Hang in there Lori, you are not alone!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.

www.ChinkapinRanch.com
www.osagegypsy/etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  12:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Sun light or full spectrum lighting will help some too.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  1:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Dear friends- thank you so much for your advice and help.. I work in a medical office so I see the dr ALL the time, which helps. I just haven't experienced the ups and downs that I have lately, things and the smallest of things set me off to crying like nothing before- and the feeling of closing in is so intense.
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  1:48:39 PM  Show Profile
You may also want to see these lists about thyroid disease, and if you have any of these symptoms as well you may want to have your thyroid checked. The mayo clinic doesn't list all of the symptoms but the most popular ones with the thyroid diseases. Sometimes the thyroid is overlooked, as I have had my thyroid be underactive and overactive. I know people who are hypo and then always needs meds for depression as well. I hope that you start to feel better soon!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperthyroidism/DS00344/DSECTION=symptoms

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353/DSECTION=symptoms

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  6:40:53 PM  Show Profile
lori you are not alone! big hugs!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  6:47:49 PM  Show Profile
Have you considered acupuncture? I have asthma and had trouble with panic attacks and axiety for many years. I couldn't take herbs due to allergic reactions and the drugs always left me feeling worse. Since I've been using acupuncture as part of my manangement program for allergies and asthma I've had no more trouble and no longer have to take any meds for this. Daily exercise outdoors and full spectrum lighting is also very helpful.

A friend of mine struggles also with depression and has found considerable relief with acupuncture and Chinese medicine.

Hope you find relief and start to feel better soon.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  11:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I also wanted to tell you that you might try incorporating poppy seeds into your diet. I eat them on bagels whenever I am lucky enough to find poppyseed bagels. Could poppyseeds have a slight bit of mood enhancing chemical in them, since theyre in the same family as the kind they use for drugs?
I dont like drugs, but natural ingredients that taste good appeal to me. I thought about this years ago, while I was considering on how would I get through the changes/ or manage pain when I am old and gray if perchance I didnt have a doctor/ pharmacy around.
Hope you find somethings that work!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  6:41:45 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I posted in previous topic about having lunch. Laughing and lunching are some good medicine! Cracker Barrel is calling! Send me an e-mail!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  04:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Lori- As an RN for 32 years, I want to also say that the next step is to return to your MD for an evaluation as it seems your current regimen is not working. Going off your meds could cause you to have a huge decline so don't do that. Mental illness is not well accepted or understood by most people and they tend to get rather simplistic and judgemental towards those you have trouble with symptoms. But, the brain is a complicated organ and when there are deficits and the results can be lifelong. Think of it as your body's brain is missing some chemicals that create smooth pathways of transmission. Without those chemicals, the "roads are bumpy and full of pot holes". AS in insulin dependent diabetes, thyroid disease or other endocrine disorders, your body is not able to do certain functions without a medically replacing what is missing and even then, it is not always easy to do. Sometimes there are supportive therapies like acupuncture or sunlight or viatmins that help, but they are NO replacement for medication and evaluation by a trained physician so stick with that first and do the others as an addition to medication. IT is very hard to get yourself back in balance once you get off balance but hang in there, take your medication as prescribed and get seen as soon as possible. LIke other conditions, this will be a lifelong disease that you will need to work with continually to stay in balance but it can be done. I join all the other farmgirls in hoping you will get the help you need soon so you can start feeling better.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile
So many things can cause this. Maybe get your hormones checked to make sure everything is in balance. St. John's Wort is awesome. Standard Process Orchex AWESOME. Vitamin D is probably low seeing as how most everyone on the planet is low in it. Consult your doctor, if your doctor isn't listening or getting results, find another doctor. Keep looking until you find what helps you. But don't give up, so many people suffer from this but stay silent about it. You are not alone.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2011 :  5:28:52 PM  Show Profile
I thought I might add something to see if anyone has feedback. I also read in a small book called How to get well and keep fit with Biochemic Tissue Salts, that Vitamin D and calcium are related? I didnt understand scientifically what they were saying, I just thought I'd add that since it was mentioned, and maybe someone can give me more specifics...?

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  08:36:14 AM  Show Profile
I wholeheartedly agree with Red Tractor Girl....I too suffer with depression and anxiety and was very resistant to medication(s)....but they have been a Godsend....they are what helped me turn the corner to stop isolating myself and from spiraling further and further down. It takes a while for the meds to kick in so hang in there. And has been said, we certainly wouldn't try to get by in other imbalances in our body like hypothyroidism or diabetes without medication and depression is an imbalance in brain chemistry. And, as little as we feel like doing it - getting out in the sun and fresh air and exercising is so helpful. I definitely feel better on the days I do that - yoga and meditation are helping too. But, I wonder if they are helping because I am actually stopping and doing something to re-charge my batteries rather than just running myself into exhaustion for everyone else. Stay in these chat rooms....the sisterly wisdom here is priceless.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  09:01:59 AM  Show Profile
I found vitamin B to be a huge help for my anxiety & depression. They have really put the brakes on my isolating myself and feeling so down that I don't want to move. It has gotten me through a very rough autumn this year and I haven't had to see my theapist inspite of things being so bad.

Good luck on finding what will work best for you.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  09:24:47 AM  Show Profile
I know that I posted to you a bunch of months ago, but I can't express the importance of getting on the right medicines. It's like a diabetic getting on the right insulin, your brain and body need things that you are out of whack with. I have been on many many different med combos looking for the one that works best for me. It's the difference to me of not being able to leave my chair/couch/home and being able to be calm and able to go to a friends wedding.

I have severe anxious depression, social anxiety disorder, ptsd and sad (seasonal affective disorder) hypothyroidism,arthritis and several other health issues that work to make me feel anxious and depressed. Yes, I take a handful of pills everyday, but I'm energetic, usually upbeat, capable of completing goals, able to craft, laugh, think clearly, enjoy my family and friends, go out sometimes and do fun things,get involved in volunteer work, work on my weight loss and get healthy goals,garden, do house work and love my hunny Andrew! Life is SO worth it!

Love yourself enough to give yourself a happy and fulfilling life

Hugs!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  11:00:27 AM  Show Profile
DD I will look into that as well. The summer was pretty horrid... even times that weren't bad were a bit stressful. My living situation is not ideal so I fly off the handle a bit too easily. I want to find a way to calm down without taking meds.

I meditate, when I think about it. I know it sounds simplistic, but it works for me when I make myself sit down and take 15 minutes to do it. The Old Man is looking into getting a heavy bag (big punching bag) for us to get some exercise and take out some stress, and we've also started making plans to go out once or twice a month to a fun park (kind of like a Chuck E Cheese, only local) to act like teenagers.

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  10:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
This is all such good advice. I have to fight this too and the B-Vits and Yoga (excercise releasing endorphines) always seem to help. We are all here as your support system. Keep the mediation up and use that punching bag if you get it set up!

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

OmgsItsTashaRose
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul MN
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  12:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried rescue remedy for anxiety??

Formerly GaiasRose
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  11:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
You might want to read Adrenal Fatigue by James L. Wilson. It may help you too.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Gloria Bonde
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Gloria
Hot Springs SD
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  09:53:14 AM  Show Profile
Food Sensitivities can cause anxiety and depression. I am a gardener and crave the sunshine. I use to dread winter and the indoor, shorter days and regularly took St John's Wort and 5htp. Then I was tested for food IgG sensitivities. I got off the negative foods and t he winter blues did not arrive! Food sensitivities are really implicated in children with anxiety and ADHD - I've done 2 recent posts on this subject and just added a recipe for allergy-free quinoa pancakes - hugs, G

www.DakotaGarden.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  07:25:42 AM  Show Profile
i see this was bumped up. one other thing that can be triggers to depression is chemical sensitivity. if you are sensitive to fragrance you can be depressed from the perfume. there are lots of things in our environment that can cause this. sometimes getting rid of bleach perfume scented candles etc will help. some depression is in need of meds. but you can remove some chemicals from your home and then possibly need less med just a thought. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  04:05:56 AM  Show Profile
Something else....regular exercise.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile
gals- thank you for all this info- I'm wondering if I am batteling some food allergies- do I just try to start cutting things out of my diet? how do I figure out what type of allergies I may have?
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:02:12 AM  Show Profile
Lori, Oh dearheart, you are so brave to open up about this. This world has become increasingly difficult as anyone can see from the headlines, so I would suggest you just disengage from that. Spend some time nurturing YOU. So here are my best tips: 1) Don't watch TV. 2) Get off the couch and the internet and walk at LEAST 2 miles a day. This has saved my life. 3)Get out in nature as much as possible. Get your hands dirty. There are things in soil that have been proven to improve our mood. 4)Meditate and pray. 5)Lean on your sisters, that's what we're here for. Talk it out. That always helps. 6)Do something special for YOU every day, even if it's just making yourself a cup of tea and taking a hot bath.
Also, when I got terribly depressed at one point in my life I actually couldn't believe I had things to be grateful for. So I started putting up notes on the things that I loved to remind me of my blessings. Truly I had to start with a note titled :TEAPOT. Then QUILT. PILLOWS. HOT WATER. Pretty soon I had notes all over my house. It was fun and a great reminder that I really was blessed. Try it!
Love you so. Don't forget!
Susan

Off-grid living in a small solar-powered cabin. Please subscribe to my blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
and visit my ETSY shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural?ref=si_shop
THANK YOU from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile
These are all great ideas. The acupuncture really does work.....and I was a skeptic. Also, I can see the need myself to disengage from the headlines, the internet, and other sources of sadness, chaos, and stress.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Depression and Anxiety Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page