MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  7:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Hey fellow farmgirls! I am looking for any tips or remedies to help with my major pregnancy swelling. Seems like the last 2 weeks have just gotten out of control. My doctor says its normal but I feel like I need some help. My shoes no longer fit and my hands are so swollen it’s hard to write!! Anything to help lighten up this swelling would be greatly appreciated!

Krista

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  11:14:05 PM  Show Profile
(((hugs))) Krista! There are a few things you can do to help it... Drink LOTSof water, you can soak your feet and hands in Epsom salt water, elevate your feet above your heart for bait throughout the day, and there are also essential oils you can use if interested. I am assuming your blood pressure is not elevated and your OB is keeping an eye on it...

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  1:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Awww... I feel so bad for you Krista! Try no to be downhearted - if you're doctor say's it's normal, then you are okay. It happens. :) I agree with Shannon...she has very sage advice for you! And also maybe take it a little easier, and do a little less physical activity, which sometimes can cause swelling during pregnancy. And, I hate to tell you this, but when I became pregnant with my son, I wore an 8 1/2 - 9 shoe... As my pregnancy wore on, my feet only got bigger and bigger. I got up to a size 11, and my size never went down again. Sometimes I can fit into a 10, depending upon the shoe, but for the most part - it's gunboats for me! ;) Just remember: When that little baby is in your arms looking up at you as if you're the end-all be-all of his or her little existence, you aren't going to care a lick about the swelling or the feet or any of that... You are Mommy, and you are perfect and wonderful and beautiful just the way you are! Think of any residual stuff as loving badges of honor! Enjoy every moment! If I could do it again, I would in a heartbeat! (But Good LORD - can you imagine how big my feet would be then!? Eghads!!! LOL!) I'll be praying for you! Love and hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  12:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Shannon. I am going to work on the lots of water today. I got out my huge 64 oz. mug and filled it up! I will give that Epsom salt a shot. I actually just got some lavender Epsom salt bubble bath from my baby shower. Looks like I have an excuse to take a bath now! I have been trying to keep my feet up as much as possible but it is hard with work and such.

Oh Nini you are so sweet! That makes me feel so much better. Thank you for your kind words and the laugh!! It really is true. The end result is what’s so important and precious! All this will pass!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  1:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried taking Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother? I use it for swelling.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  3:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Has your doctor checked you for pre-acclampsia? I had it with my first two pregnancies and those were some of the symptoms. I hope all goes well and you can get it under control quickly.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  5:05:01 PM  Show Profile
I have not tried the apple cider vinegar. That is something else I can try. Thank you Julie. Dawn, I have been checked for pre-eclampsia and my doctor says I’m in the clear. My blood pressure has been perfect. He says the swelling is normal and I just have to deal but I feel that there is more that I can do then just “deal”. I go to the doctor again tomorrow so I will check with him again about it.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  07:58:35 AM  Show Profile
While I've never been pregnant, I have had some major issues with water retention during my period to the point I had to talk to the doctor about it. Like you, my hands would get swollen to where it hurt to bend my fingers. My feet weren't so bad, but ankles yes.

So here's what worked for me in an only barely similar situation:
-Exercise: even light movement can help get things moving. Swimming is great if that's an option.
-Raising both arms up almost like you are being held at gunpoint in a holdup - don;t bend your arms beyond a very gentle bend and don't raise them completely up so they are perpendicular to the floor. When they are up at an angle, slowly alternate making a tight fist and stretching your fingers out. This helps push some of the volume of fluid out of your extremities. You only have to do this for two or three minutes - you'll feel some tingling as all that tightness subsides.
-There is a "jet lag relief" pose that flight attendants do. I have no idea if a very pregnant lady could so this, but you lay/lie (I never know which is correct) on the floor with your backside maybe 10-12 inches from the wall. However you can do it, get your legs up the wall at an angle while you are on your back. The angle on this and the arm thing above is so you don't clamp off the big blood vessels but rather keep things open and the blood flow easily. So here you don't want your legs folded in to your hips but rather a gentle angle. A small pillow behind your head or more specifically to support your neck would probably be good. If you can hang out here for about 10 minutes, you will probably find a good amount of relief from the foot swelling. This is much, much more effective than just putting your feet up on a chair so they are level to the floor.
-CHECK WITH THE DOC about herbal teas, but there are some for PMS that worked wonders for swelling. Hubby and I would joke when I was brewing some that I was going to go sit in the bathroom and drink it because it worked so fast. It seemed like within minutes I was peeing a lot - sorry to be so blunt.
I hope any of this helps even a little!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  7:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh. My dd is 13 and I still remember that! Best advice I can give for that is to sit every so often reclined with your feet up. But I have to tell ya by the time I was due I felt like the girl that turned into the blueberry from Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Hang in there, you are almost there and it is so worth it!

How lucky are you for a Christmas baby? Congrats!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  8:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I am going to try the raising of my arms when im done on the computer and in the morning when I wake up (which seems to be when it’s the worse). As far as the floor one…well you see it may work but I am afraid once I get down on the floor I may not be able to get up! Ha so I think I will avoid that one. I will ask about those teas. I love to drink tea. Oh dear can you imagine…If it works that fast on you and I’m already in the bathroom all the time I might as well just stay in there!

Nicole, it’s like you read my mind! That is exactly who I feel like! I am so ready to be rolled to the juicing room! I would feel better! Thank you. I am very excited for him to be here. I was a Christmas baby myself and I can tell you it just adds more magic and importance to this time of year. I wouldn’t change his due date for anything!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  07:10:54 AM  Show Profile
Krista, it can be aggravating. Oh, the things our bodies go through for these precious babies. My youngest is 20 and I still blame her for all my stretch marks. hee hee

I agree with all the other gals. Drink water, rest, rest, rest!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  6:45:27 PM  Show Profile
I had a bit of an upsetting and frustrating time today. My feet became so swollen that one of my co-workers said she was concerned for me and felt I needed to check my blood pressure. Well conveniently I work in a doctors office and was able to get it checked. I have always had wonderful blood pressure but today it came back at 134/88 with a pulse of 96. The nurse said I need to be careful because 140/90 is concerning. Then our physician assistant noticed I have pitting edema (basically means my skin indents when pushed on and doesn’t return to normal). He told me to call my doctor right away. When I did they showed no sense of compassion and told me I was just fine and don’t worry about it. I feel that I am being jerked around and this is getting scary. I am trying my best to rest and get plenty of water.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  7:00:33 PM  Show Profile
(((hugs))) Krista! I understand how frustrating and worrisome this can be! Here is my opinion/suggestions. You can make a doctor's appointment with your OB, you can go to the maternity floor to get checked there (you are close enough to your due date that the ER is not going to touch you!), or you can look at switching your OB. You need to be able to trust your doctors when it is time to deliver your baby boy! Pitting edema is not to be taken so lightly!!! Are you having headaches? Vision changes? Is baby boy still moving around well and as often as before? I am not asking these to frighten you, but to suggest other things you need to watch for. Remember that God created us - and the female body to carry and birth babies. He also blessed us with "mommy instinct" to know when something is not right. If you are questioning, then something is probably not right. I guess my ultimate advice is to speak with your hubby and the two of you, if you are believers, pray over the situation... for wisdom to make the best decision regarding your health and the baby's, as well as peace once the decision is made! Praying for a healthy delivery with no hiccups!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16396 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16396 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  7:01:33 PM  Show Profile
As inconvenient as it sounds, it seems like it's time for a new doctor. Never be afraid to advocate for yourself. Can you get a recommendation from other moms in your area who have a good doctor? Have you scoured the internet for ideas? I'm worried.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Noreen
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Noreen
Essex Junction Vermont
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  7:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Noreen an AOL message
I agree with Mary Jane. Please get checked out by someone else. They may catch something your doctor did not. Or they may confirm what your doctor said and you will feel better. We women have good instincts. Listen to yours. I just had to advocate for myself on Monday. I had a nasty infection and she said they were too full to see me on Monday, then too full on Tuesday and she would have the nurse call me back. I was afraid by the time that happened they would be booked all week. And I called soon after they opened on Monday. I stuck to my guns. And guess what? I got in on Monday afternoon. They found me an appointment that same day. And guess what? I was right and had an infection and got the help I needed. Take care and good luck! Best wishes!

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23:1
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  4:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your sweet comments and concern. I decided to go with my gut and went to labor and delivery last night. I was there for about 3 hours running some test. My blood pressure was quite high as well as we found I had protein in my urine. They were finally able to get my blood pressure down and sent me home to complete a 24 hour urine test. I will be going back tonight to turn that in. Once we get the results back from the 24 hour urine test we will know what the next step is. In the mean time I am supposed to park my bottom on the couch and keep my surroundings calm and quite. Good news is that means I just get to spend more time on here with you lovely ladies!

P.S. I voiced my concern about my doctor to the labor and delivery nurse and she let him know how I felt. I received a personal phone call from him today asking how I was doing and letting me know what I needed to do for the weekend. He even moved my appointment up.

Thanks for your advice!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  4:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Krista - I have tears of joy and relief running down my face!!! I am so thankful you went and got checked and that your doctor is being more compassionate! Continuing to pray for you!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Shannon!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  07:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Krista,

I had frustration with my doctor. I will tell you I ended up disagreeing wholeheartedly with the one I had. I changed doctors THREE days before my scheduled c-section (my girl was breech, and stuck sideways in my rib cage, since I am short-waisted. It was the best thing I ever did. I had an easy time with my c-section, and loved my doctor. I was sad when he retired.

Point is, (and I used to work for a doctors office, too), MaryJane is right. If you don't want to "change" at least be seen by another.

Keep us posted!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  1:03:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you went in to get checked, Krista, and that the doctor was humbled enough to call you. Second opinions are always a good thing if you're concerned. And I want to commiserate with you.... I know it's hard to be "sofa bound" or on bed rest - I was right there for the last month of my pregnancy. Hopefully it won't be a necessity once the tests come back. But, truly, enjoy as much rest as you can before the baby arrives. Before you know it, you will be longing for R&R! LOL!

Hang in there - we're praying for you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  6:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Wow Nicole. I am sad to hear you had to do that. Especially 3 days before. I’m glad everything worked out for the better for you in the end. I have chosen to stick it out with my doctor. He seems to be getting his act together over the last couple of days and has shown concern for my babies’ well-being. Maybe due to the fact I threw my fit at labor and delivery! I will say though that I will not be returning to him for the next pregnancy. Thank you Nini. My results actually came back requiring I go on bed rest. I do agree with you though. I have decided to get as much R&R time as possible. He also has me going to the hospital to get stress tests done. The one from yesterday came back wonderful. My little man is doing great. Just looking like he will be coming sooner than later.

Thank you all for your support. You have all been the greatest!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  6:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot to add my newest picture from yesterday. Sorry I just can’t help but share! Isn’t his face absolutely adorable?!! It was hard to get his whole face. He loves to keep his hands in his face.
[URL=http://s161.photobucket.com/user/takaya19/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PicsPlay_1448314909385.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  9:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Adorable!!! I am so excited for you!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2015 :  7:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Shannon!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2015 :  8:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Awwwwwwww!!! PRECIOUS!!! Awwwwwwww!!! You brought tears to my eyes with this picture, Krista! I bet you can hardly wait to kiss him!!! How exciting! I am just so happy for you! The world is getting brighter and brighter each day his arrival approaches! :) Enjoy every single minute!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7005 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7005 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  6:08:51 PM  Show Profile
Aww thank you Nini! I can’t wait to meet him! Each day I know I'm getting closer and closer! I am actually hoping for sooner than later. But today my dogs have been acting off so my guess is he’s coming soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Major Swelling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page