Page: of 2

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  09:21:58 AM  Show Profile
So this year, I am bound and determined to give homemade gifts to everyone. My trouble is the 14 year old nephew that is all about computers, snowmobiling, and band. I have no ideas for him. Any hints?

The rest of the list so far:

Arm warmers - either from used socks or crochets
spice jars with various seasonings
Dried apples - a hit with my sister and mom
granola
vapor rub
T-shirts bags
lip balm
Hot chocolate mix

I still need to figure out what to give some of the men and hubby's family as they can themselves.

So what are you planning?

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  09:52:18 AM  Show Profile
My boys love knit socks and slouchy hats. And the knit socks have to be soft and fuzzy. I usually make the a few pairs out of neutral color baby yarn with darker toes and heels. Big hit and reasonable price.
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  09:54:01 AM  Show Profile
p.s. I too am starting my list for next Christmas gifts. I find I can work on a lot of them during spring and summer sports.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  11:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Me too, homemade here too. Each of my children, their spouses and all of my grandchildren are getting a bear made from one of my husbands flannel shirts. He passed away in 2010. A lady in a neighboring community was featured in a local Senior magazine, she made bears for all of her family, on the foot pads she used a muslin and put pictures of her late husband when they got married and shortly before he died. Also recently bought a pattern for a crocheted doll and clothing, cutest I have ever seen, so a couple of my granddaughters will get those as well. Still working on my list, but that is what I am starting with.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  1:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Laurie,
I just came across an aftershave recipe. I just now gathered all the ingredients and will be making it over the next week. My husband had requested an aftershave that smell like the outdoors woodlands. This uses pine needles, rosemary and sounds just perfect. If you want I can get you the recipe. I am hoping that this smells nice and will be the ticket as well. I really have a hard time with making things for men. Wish there were more patterns or ideas out there for them. Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  1:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Becky,

yes please! it might be something for the nephew as he is having to shave for JROTC in high school.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  2:25:05 PM  Show Profile
I am making my list of things to make also this year. In fact I already am working on some knitted things. For Christmas 2013, I made for my grandkids, neck warmers / cowls and they all loved those. With them being outside a lot at the barn, it was a a gift they would use a lot since it has been so cold. Of course, I also gave out my goat milk soaps to everyone too.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  3:32:16 PM  Show Profile
One year, my mom and I made soaps and bath salts. When it came to the men, we used "manly" scents like pine, clove, eucalyptus, etc. She put mildly abrasive textures inside, such as lavender or ground coffee and to this day, my Papa says it was the best soap he ever used for his feet! This past year, I knitted a scarf for my youngest son and this year, I am going to work on getting my oldest son and DH their own! Hopefully, I'll get them done before NEXT Christmas! Good luck and keep us posted!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  4:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Does he have an IPod, IPad, laptop, or anything like that? Maybe a carrier for them?

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  5:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, good question. I think an Ipod, but he slips it in his pocket.

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2014 :  08:26:19 AM  Show Profile
I have the first fingerless glove crocheted. now to find someone about my niece's size to see if it will fit, then I'll make the other one. ;)

My 2 year old decided to go through my material today, so we pulled out the Christmas projects- tree skirt, stockings and will put them out to see if I finish them before putting them away again.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2014 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Here is the aftershave recipe. I just made it and it has to set for 2 weeks. It will be done on the 12th of February. I'll let you know what I think of it and what my husband thinks of it after Valentine's day as it is his gift.

Woodland Aftershave
1 cup Vodka (For sensitive skin, substitute which hazel for vodka.)
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary (I dried rosemary from my herb garden)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon dried pine needles (I took a few branches of pine needles from our Christmas tree and dried them out)
container with tight-fitting lid (I used a wine bottle that a screw top lid on it)

1. TO MIX, combined all ingredients and pour into clean jar with tight-fitting lid. Place container in cool, dark place for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, pour liquid through paper coffee filter-lined strainer to remove all solid ingredients. Pour liquid into clean bottle with tight-fitting lid.
2. TO USE, splash on face after shaving. YIELD: 8 ounces.

This book also has shaving cream, pumice stone hand scrub and a handy tote bag to put all the items into.

This is what I will be making for my husband for Christmas. I just wanted to try the after shave first so I thought it would be a perfect valentines gift. I have so much trouble finding things for me. So I am hoping this will turn out great.
Becky

Well the gift went over well. My husband loved the scent. It is a soft scent and very woodsy. I think the next time I might try it with witch hazel to see if it makes a difference.

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.

Edited by - Ladybek9756 on Feb 18 2014 06:55:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  1:25:23 PM  Show Profile
glad he enjoyed it!!!! Will you post the recipe for the shaving cream? I'd love to make my hubby some as well, if you don't mind. He doesn't use after shave, for some reason. I may make him some, though, anyways, though I would use the witch hazel, just because I would think the vodka would burn more.

I am trying to figure out what to make everyone for Christmas and am just running kinda blank. My mom will be receiving a cross-stitch of hummingbirds, as long as I get it done. Maybe for all the men, I'll make the after shave and shaving cream. Then maybe for the adult females I will do soap and bath salts, or perhaps some mesh herbal bags for "bath tea." The teenager nieces and nephews.... ummmmm maybe the same thing!?!? That leaves my 12 yo nephew who isn't ready for shaving, and I'm really clueless as to what to give him. My younger two nieces will probably get nightgowns and maybe some lotion, as they like that kind of thing. My nephews that are 2 or younger.... eek - not sure yet!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  4:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Shannon,
Here is the recipe for the Shaving Cream and Pumice Stone Hand Scrub.

SHAVING CREAM
1/4 cup stearic acid powder (available at craft stores in the candle making section)
1 to 2 teaspoons light oil (optional)
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon borax (available in detergent section of grocery stores)
2 tablespoons grated bar soap
1 to 2 drops essential oil (optional)
Container with tight-fitting lid (They used a mason type jar with a flip up type closure)

1. TO MIX: in double boiler; melt stearic acid powder until it dissolves into a clear liquid. Set aside. For a moisturizing shaving cream, add light oil (Jojoba, olive, etc.) to stearic acid powder before melting. Combine boiling water; borax, and soap, stirring until borax and soap are completely dissolved. Pour soap solution into blender and blend at low speed for approximately 1 minute. Mixture will become white and frothy. With blender on, slowly pour stearic acid liquid into soap mixture. TO make scented shaving cream, add essential oil to mixture in blender. (I have a farmers type market here and they have a store that sells these type of oils. I purchased one called London, it is a men's scent and that is what I will be using when I make this for Paul.) Blend at high speed until smooth and creamy. or into clean bowl and stir well. Let cool completely. Mixture will become thicker as it cools. When cool, spoon cream into clean jar with tight-fitting lid.
2. TO USE: wet face with warm water and smooth shaving cream over face. (NOTE: If cream is not used every day, it may to be stirred before using) YIELD: 8 oz.

PUMICE STONE HAND SCRUB
small pumice stone (We used one 5" x 1" x 1/2")
1 cup grated bar soap
1/2 cup borax
container with lid

1. TO MIX: place pumice stone in sturdy plastic bag and secure opening. With hammer on a hard surface, smash stone to a fine powder. You should have approximately 1/4 cup of "pumice powder." Combine pumice powder, soap and borax. Mix well. Pour into clean, dry container.

2. TO USE: pour small amount of mixture into hand and mix with warm water to form lather; then rinse hands thoroughly with water. YIELD: 12 ounces.

If I should come across any other items for men I'll post here and if you want directions I'll be happy to post them as well.
Hope this helps.
Hugs
Becky

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile
thanks Becky

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile
thank you so much Becky!!!!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  5:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Your welcome. I will making this for my husband for Christmas as well. Let me know how they like it?
If I come across anything else I shall let you know. School gets out for me the first of May and I do not return until Mid August and I shall be going through my books then to see what I want to make for the remainder of the year.
Becky

Edited by - Ladybek9756 on Feb 20 2014 5:10:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  04:27:12 AM  Show Profile
I want to be on your christmas list!! sounds wonderful.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2014 :  4:44:28 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking of Christmas and wondering what I can make for each person on my list. I like the ideas for the men, it is harder for me to think of ideas for them, how is your list coming? Did the items work out well for the men? I have made my list and started to place ideas beside each name, still have a few names without ideas, next to the check off list as the items are completed. How far is everyone else on their list?

never to early to dream of Christmas
Danyel
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2014 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile
My brother-in-law loves to read and is always putting a pillow in his lap to hold the book. What about a rectangle shaped pillow with two strips of elastic or grosgrain ribbon attached on the front to slide the cover of the book on to the pillow also a piece of cord or ribbon attached to the middle top of the pillow to use as a book marker. A long skinny pocket can be attached to one edge for a pen or pencil if needed. Also, a pocket for reading glasses might be helpful.

What about bags in different shapes made out of sturdy soft fabrics and filled with rice and spices/herbs to heat up for aches and pains. My Dad used them to warm up his hands and feet. Mom uses long skinny ones for neck aches. My sisters use square or rectangle shaped ones for sore muscles.

Hope this helps. I, too, have trouble finding gifts for men and my 20 year old grandson.

Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread

Edited by - Lavender Rose on Jul 27 2014 6:03:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2014 :  6:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I haven't made any for a while but rice bags were a big hit for gifts for all folks. I made mine as a bag with the rice but with a removable cover in a contrasting fabric that could be removed for washing. I have two I made for myself and they are such a comfort for achy neck and back, etc.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2014 :  06:46:04 AM  Show Profile
thank you for the ideas, I still have some time to complete, lol. Every year I try to be better organized and still find its last minute rush to wrap.

Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5154 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5154 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  10:48:40 AM  Show Profile
I make extra Strawberry Jam every May to give away at Christmas. I add Homemade bread, Kitchen towels, Crocheted pot holders etc. Makes a nice gift for the women anyway! LOL! I also give small jars with homemade cookies to my Mail lady, Neighbors, The man who works on my car loves Strawberry Jam! He will always move me to the front of the repair line if I have Jam! LOL!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  04:44:47 AM  Show Profile
I have made owl pillows for the little girls in our family for this year, For my big kids I always make vintage Christas ornaments for their collections. I am making blankets for two of the little boys in the family...Whew, this makes me realize, that I have got to get busy!! Smiles, Beth

You can never be too kind!

Farmgirl of the Month for June, 2014..I have been so blessed!
Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  8:38:59 PM  Show Profile
I like making home made jam for family & friend. Last two year I made blueberry jam. This year for Christmas, time for a chance but what?
Then last Saturday I went to our local farmers market and saw same delicious plums and though, yes that it, I am going to make plum jam for all my family and friends. Inspiration can come from any where and at any time.
All great ideas come from up above:)
Janice Vintage Artist
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  7:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Summer hit and nothing towards gifts has been accomplished, but I'm thinking pepper jelly for some folks this year. I also do a pepper blend and have started dehydrating fruit leather. Peaches are in season. It's a great way to use the seconds. I'm all about food for gifts.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas 2014 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page