Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 You Favorite Barbie Christmas Memory!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic You Favorite Barbie Christmas Memory! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  09:56:04 AM  Show Profile
For me it was the year I finally got a Real Barbie and Midge not the imposters! LOL! Only the Midge in the Bridesmaid dress is mine from childhood. We always passed down our dolls to younger cousins. The rest of these, I was given or bought at Flea markets and Garage sales and some I restored for friends. The midge in the Prom Dress, I restored for a high school friend in Mountain View, Arkansas.
Sometimes all that is needed is a little cleaning and hair shampooed and re-styled and clothes mended and cleaned. I used a child's toothbrush to curl Midge's famous Flip back up!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3464 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3464 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  10:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Connie
What a nice collection. I did not keep any of mine, it's a very sad. But have kept several of my oldest daughters. And will do the same for my younger girls too.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  1:30:58 PM  Show Profile
I no longer have mine either! Sure enjoy playing Barbies with the granddaughters tho!

My favorite memory were the clothes . There was a doll shop in a nearby town. The woman made the most beautiful doll clothes!! I received the most beautiful Barbie wedding gown and tux for Ken!!

Needless to say, there was a wedding ;)

Blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  3:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, I saved some of my daughter's too, we always handed ours down to cousins and they handed them down if they survived! LOL!!
Linda, my neighbor made Barbie clothes and I would save my allowance to go buy a dress and she would always give me something free too!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  05:19:35 AM  Show Profile
I never had a Barbie doll. Instead, I had Ginny and Jeannette dolls. My mom used to sew complete wardrobes for our dolls and the dolls of our neighbors. Nothing made her happier than sitting at her sewing machine with the big material scrap box pulled out and creating and sewing up a storm. Neither of my girls wanted or played with Barbie dolls either. My oldest only played with My little pony and Breyer horse figurines. My youngest played with the Disney Mermaid doll and then the American Girl doll Kirsten. Mostly they were so horse crazy , all they wanted were riding lessons, saddles, and their own horses when they were big enough and experienced enough. I think Barbie craze would have been a whole lot cheaper to fund!!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  05:56:12 AM  Show Profile
THis FABULOUS Barbie RV was my "big" thing from Santa in 1972-3-4 I don't recall which one since I was 10 at the most. Woooooohoooo! How cool is that pop-out tent feature? This was by far one of my favorite Christmas presents ever : )

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  06:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Mine have vanished over the years too. I remember back in the early 60's getting my first Barbie from my grandparents. I was super excited, but she met a very sad end. The dog ate her head! It was another year before I got a different Barbie. I was much more careful with her. My sister had a beautiful midnight blue and silver ball gown for her doll. It had a sleeveless cape with white fur as the collar. I thought it was the most beautiful Barbie outfit I had ever seen. My sister still has all of her Barbie stuff, mine were ruined by a much younger brother & his friends.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  07:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Winnie! it would have been Cheaper!! LOL!

Cindy! Thanks for sharing your pic! I love it! That is a true Vintage Glamping Camper!!

Dawn,So many Barbies met their end from pets and little brothers!! I restored one for a lady, that had body parts drawn on, LOL!! but ink is permanent! So good thing her clothes hides those marks!! I have hid chew marks on hands by using the long gloves to hide them. When they belonged to someone as a child, they still want to keep it, chew marks and all. So I can usually hide the bad places with the clothes we use.
Thanks everyone! for taking time to share! I just love hearing about your memories!! Hugs!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Dec 08 2013 07:44:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile
I remember getting Kissing Barbie for Christmas one year. She came with her own "lipstick" stamp thingy and when you pushed the button on her back, she would kiss! My grandma also gave me a plastic sewing case to put all my Barbie stuff in. I thought it was the coolest! Some of my Barbie stuff may be in the basement, but most of it was given away or didn't survive my little sister! Lol!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  2:15:41 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, My Holly had that kissing Barbie, My granny gave her and her 4 little cousins one for Christmas that year! awwwwwwwww I had forgotten about her, Thanks for sharing! Now I have to call Holly and ask her if she remembers! :)

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  3:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Barbie's weren't invented when I was a little girl. But, I'm pretty sure when my mom saw them she said "no way"!
No memories for me!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  3:14:41 PM  Show Profile
CJ, they were available for the first time in 1959! You must share your secrets with us, how you stay looking so young! what about your daughter? Mine was a tomboy, but she had Barbie moments!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  4:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yup, they were available in 1959 . . . I was 11 years old! Eligible for Medicare as of this month! :D
My parents would never have approved of me having one!
My daughter did have one as I recall.

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2013 :  6:25:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Connie!! I loved my Barbies almost as much as the air I breath!!! My favorite memory was also that camper- I remember it like it was yesterday. I don't remember what happened to it...but I remember opening it Christmas morning and playing with it all day long- I remember my parents yelling to me to come to Christmas dinner and not wanting to stop to eat!! Oh how I loved my Barbies!!! I don't have them any more, but played and loved them to pieces!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  09:19:45 AM  Show Profile
Hey Connie,
I was born in 1955, will be 58 this Saturday. And they were around when I was a kid. In fact my very first Barbie was the very first Barbie! I keep her for years and played with Barbie, Ken, skipper and the gang for a very long time. Having the wardrobe carrier, car, and a bunch of her clothes and those ever so tiny shoes (that I always lost!).
Barbie has changed a bit from where she started, but I am glad that they kept that iconic doll alive! She was my best friend and would wile away the hours talking with her ...
Great threads you keep coming up with ... so many memories!
Thanks!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  11:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lori and Terri! I loved your Barbie memories! Terri, I loved Skipper! who could ever keep up with all those tiny little shoes and accessories!! So funny to see a tiny Barbie cup sell on Ebay for $20.00 that is no bigger than a #2 Pencil eraser ! LOL!!

Stay Warm!
Connie
Imagine....#3392 This one I had smothered in a paste of baking Soda to get the Cigarette Smell from her, it did the trick! She was restored back to her glory days,almost! LOL! and shipped back to her owner in Florida! Being a retired hair Stylist makes the Hair part easy! LOL!

Edited by - Killarney on Dec 09 2013 11:35:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  1:38:11 PM  Show Profile
OMG! I had kissing Barbie, too! Got her one Christmas. Loved her. I remember my dad would raise his eyebrows when I would make her kiss Ken doll, LOL. My grandmother got me my first Barbie. She got all dressed up and spent the night at our house. After lunch that day, she took me to TG&Y and bought my first Barbie, "Superstar Barbie". She wore a pink satin dress and had a ring and a stole. I still check her out on eBay from time to time. Sadly, when my parents went through a divorce when I was a preteen, my mom threw out all my toys because she said we wouldn't have enough room in the condo she bought. Left it all in our old house, including my doll house my dad had built me. Anyway, on a happier note, I still sit down and play Barbies with Audrey from time to time. Now she likes "Monster High" dolls, too. My favorites are American Girl. I always tell Audrey she can leave them with me to "babysit" when she grows up, lol!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  9:04:48 PM  Show Profile
How funny! I had Superstar Barbie, too! Got her for my 5th birthday, I think. I remember that dress and her "diamond" ring and necklace! I think she was one of the ones that didn't survive my little sis!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  07:17:56 AM  Show Profile
Nicole and Stephanie, what sweet memories for you with Superstar Barbie! I can tell by your writing how cherished she was to you!
Nicole I love the American girl dolls, Molly is my favorite! They are really precious!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  11:29:04 AM  Show Profile
My sister and I had Barbie, Midge (who got left on the bus and dissappeared), Casey, Francie, Skipper, a couple Kens and a GI Joe (I still love a man in uniform). When I was in high school shop class I made an 8 ft long 2 1/2 story doll house from plywood. Each room was decorated and had carpet. My folks thought that it would be a little house- boy were they surprised! They gave it back to me when we lived in San Antonio but I donated it to the Baptist childrens home with some of the newer Barbies. My original ones are still with me.

Save the Earth...it's our only source of chocolate.

Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Nicole - all my girls are crazy for Monster High and American Girl, too - even the 3 year old!

I managed to save most of my "big" Barbie items - like the mega long camper from I think 1983 (?) And the condo (where the roof opened to be a terrace patio) and handed those down to my girls. I also managed to save and keep track of my original Parisian Barbie, 2 of my Kens and a Skipper. My girls have asked Santa this year for the new three-story Barbie Dreamhouse and a doll each to go in it (Barbie and three of her friends - I think Midge, Teresa and Summer?) I am PRETTY sure Santa is going to fulfill their wish (wink).

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A [wo]man is rich in proportion to the number of things which [s]he can afford to let alone." - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  1:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, you are bringing back such memories!!! I received my first Barbie.. Oh my gosh, was I seven, maybe? I got the Barbie Fashion Show set, but my parents got me a Dawn doll instead of a Barbie (Remember those?? I loved my Dawn dolls!). They didn't know... Neither did I, really. I'll never forget my Fashion Show set, though. I didn't even know what a fashion show was! LOL! Later that winter, my dad returned from a business trip with a Malibu PJ doll for me (Barbie's cousin??) to go with my fashion set... I treasured her for-e-ver. Then I remember getting the camper the next year from my grandparents (loved the fold out tent!), and then the Barbie airplane after that... And a Skipper doll... We LIVED for Barbies - winter, spring, summer and fall! I especially loved the airplane because it came with a cart and little dishes and my Barbies could sit at the table to dine... I used to pretend the plane was her home... Oh my gosh... And do you all remember that New Barbie smell? Oh! I still get a charge out of that to this day! LOL! And the shoes... They all looked like high-heeled Pilgrim shoes to me! LOL!

Okay... I'll let you in on a secret... A couple of years ago I was babysitting for our neighbor's girls after school. I couldn't resist, broke down and bought a dollhouse at the junk shop (it was like new), and then slowly added furniture, Barbies, clothes, accessories.. you name it. Later, I found a fold-up Barbie cottage for like $10 at the junk shop, too, and it came with almost all the original accessories. At 47 years old, I have the coolest Barbie house set up in the world! All the little girls in our life love playing with it when they come to visit! I always say it's for them, but deep down, it's for the little girl in me. It's such a joy for me to see the girls enjoying them as much as my and my sister and our friends did growing up. My hubby says thank goodness we didn't have a little girl - he'd be broke for Barbies! Just wait 'til I have a granddaughter! LOL!

Awesome collection, Connie! Just awesome!!!

Thanks for the memories, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 11 2013 1:12:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  08:45:54 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, Suzanne and Nini! ( I had a pair of those Pilgrim shoes in the 70's! LOL!!!!) OOOOOOOOOO I love reading your Barbie Stories!! I don't think your ever to old to love Dolls!! My god-children and all girls , no mater what the age, that come to my house, love to play Barbies. Quite some years ago, I had a Barbie themed Tea Lunch for a few close friends and used my Barbies for the Table Centerpiece and gave them the Barbie Hallmark Ornament for that year. I have a Barbie tree, with just those ornaments, but don't have it up yet, I am so behind this year decorating! Hallmark ended the collection after 13 I think, but you can find them at junk stores really cheap, 4-5 dollars. Keep those Barbie Stories and Pics coming!! My Daughter loves reading all the Holiday forums when she comes over! She is 37 and she still collects Barbies, she has many of her own and she got the Paul Frank Barbie for Christmas a few years ago, and he came to Memphis for a art Exhibit and he signed it for her. She was over the Moon! LOL!! The girls she works with will say, lets skip work and go to your Mom's and Play Barbies! Hugs!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392 Here's some when I was restoring them for other people. My Hubby got used to Barbie clothes drying on towels all over the house and bodys and heads in the sink! LOL!

Edited by - Killarney on Dec 12 2013 08:47:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  2:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Got the Barbie tree up! The tree was a store display that was my Great Aunt Mattie's.

When I was 5, My Aunt Anita was 10 and she got Barbie and 3 of the first line of outfits,Solo in the spotlight, Enchanted evening and my all time favorite "Friday Night Date" I got to play with it some by the time I was 8 but only supervised by my Granny! My Aunt Anita still has her doll and most of the outfits.

The Barbie case ornaments have a re-moveabletiny Barbie in each one.

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Dec 12 2013 2:57:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  3:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Amazing! I received one of the first Barbies in 1959. I was 11 and it was my first Christmas back with my Mom. She (Barbie, not Mom) :) had black hair....no blonde! I also received a Miss Revlon and a tiny sewing machine so I could make clothes for them.

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5155 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5155 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Mel, Thanks for sharing you Christmas memories with us! That first Barbie is still the most sought after and collected! I have seen pictures of the Miss Revlon Doll , she is such a pretty doll! aww what fun! a child size sewing machine that really worked!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic You Favorite Barbie Christmas Memory! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page