Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 What Kind of Christmas Tree for 2013...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic What Kind of Christmas Tree for 2013... Next Topic  

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  12:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering...what kind of Christmas tree do you decorate...a real or an artificial one...and do you do a themed tree or use different and various ornaments on it...

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...

Edited by - wildflower17 on Aug 24 2013 12:28:55 PM

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  4:32:29 PM  Show Profile
I switched to artificial a couple of years ago due to allergies, but this year I want a blue spruce, a real one. I mix my ornaments, old , new, hand made, I tried a them tree once and I was kind of sad because I missed some of the ornaments that mean a lot to me at Christmas. How about you. ?

Danyel

Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  5:05:13 PM  Show Profile
a real tree, and always with handmade ornaments ... And I have used vintage lace as garland for many many years ... Last years tree had snowflakes, mittens, candy canes, and stars.

some of the hanmade ornaments I made ...

what type of tree/ ornies do you use?

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2013 :  8:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We use artificial in the house and outside the back door on the deck. But, we have three, HUGE, absolutely stunningly gorgeous REAL Colorado Blue Spruce trees in our yard. We used to put lights on them but they are really big and that's hard to do. Who knows . . .
BUT, they are just wonderful with snow on them!

We also have a nice, big, lovely fir tree and some other evergreens trees.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  03:54:44 AM  Show Profile
We do artificial. I love putting it up early and taking it down late. It works best with our busy holiday schedules. I have lost of ornaments from trips taken, kids made in school, gifts and handmade. Hubby and I combined our familys 5 years ago, so we have a beautiful blend of ornaments.

I have some new and exciting ornaments slated to be made this year and can't wait to get started.

I just found solar powered xmas lights, so that is going to open up a huge opportunity for outdoor decorating this year. I am pretty excited.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  5:22:44 PM  Show Profile

Thanks girls...I love to see how everyone decorates. I have an artificial tree...and have ornaments handmade and store bought which we have collected over the years. I treasure the ones my son made in school. And I love blue...silver...and white for my decorating colors.

Hugs!

Judy

"A Falling Leaf is Summer's Wave Goodbye"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!
Go to Top of Page

mountain linny
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Linda
Valdosta Georgia
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile
I bought one of those tall skinny trees to put next to the fireplace and decorate it with woodland creatures, old Santas, antique ornaments, and white lights. our living room looks like a cabin and I use real cedar garland for the mantel I use a different theme for the foyer every year

Linda farmgirl #5471

Be thankful for a new morning and the blessings shared through out the day.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  08:06:46 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE real trees so much but they give me breathing problems in the house We bought a rather expensive artificial tree last year and I was so sad. I grew to like it after a bit though because it was tall and narrow and fit our small living room well. I have several lovely trees in the yard to decorate and I add bird treats to it so that I can watch the beautiful ever changing live decorations flit about their branches And I'm getting a live one for the porch!

We have a mix of old family ornaments and newer ornaments that are meaningful to us. I have very fragile gold glass round ones from some where in eastern Europe, great grandma didn't remember. I do know that are from the 30's though and very beautiful. They look stunning on the tall elegant tree.

But I do miss the wonderful scent of evergreen.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  09:45:00 AM  Show Profile
We have both. Every year on or around my birthday (Nov. 30) my husband and I go cut a real Christmas tree for the living room. We've been doing this since we got married. We've finally collected enough ornaments that only the cow ornaments go on the living room tree. In the dining room is an artificial tree my in-laws gave us when they got a new one. It had a bunch of International Harvestor ornaments on it I made for my husband one year along with a home made garland. In the kitchen I have a small skinny tree that I string cranberries and popcorn for garland and make homemade cinnamon ornaments for. It's always my favorite tree and smells so good.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

mrssarahhall
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sarah
Longmont Colorado
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  2:40:57 PM  Show Profile
We have artificial trees. I like to put them up right after Thanksgiving and leave them up until New Years. I decorate the big tree in the living room with ornaments that have meaning of some kind to us, whether they be a family heirloom, a handmade ornament, or a momento from a special trip. For instance, the angel topper in the second photo belonged to my mother in law who passed away unexpectedly a few years ago. It is particularly special as she purchased it when she was pregnant with my DH but she didn't know it yet and was living in Germany. It is handmade from wax and has lasted all these years in almost perfect condition. I love the meaning behind our ornaments and putting them on the tree just feels so comforting.

I have a collection of toadstool ornaments that go on a miniature tree in the dining room.

When we host Christmas and have guests stay with us, I also put up a tree in each of the rooms someone is staying in. I have a large one I usually put in the guest room my parent's stay in that I cover in only handmade, country themed ornaments and in the other guest room I put up my tropical tree which I cover in Hawaiian decorations and silk flowers.

I put up several garlands throughout the inside of the house that I hang my snowflake collection from. I generally leave my snowflakes up until they drive DH crazy and he asks me to take them down. LOL

Sarah
Farmgirl # 5223

All good things are wild and free- Henry David Thoreau

A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are a little cracked.

Edited by - mrssarahhall on Oct 23 2013 2:49:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

579 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
579 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile
We move furniture in the living room to put up a real Douglas fir tree. It's our usual NW tree. I've had other trees, but I love the smell of a real Douglas fir. Love to get those cinnamon pine cones and just leave them on the hearth. When the sun hits them in the afternoon, the whole house smells wonderful. What silly memories of the holidays-but they are my memories and I love them! My son comes over and puts the lights on the tree and supervises the grandsons who decorate it.We follow that with a hot pizza dinner and dessert. Our ritual. I'm not allowed to decorate, it's strictly a guy thing and I love what they do. And, they do a great job....

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  4:43:39 PM  Show Profile
I have used an artificial tree for more than 30 years due to allergy-and at that time cost-real trees got really expensive !

I had planned on just using a small tree in Hawaii but we didn't get there so! I may just buy a new tree this year- a cheapy at wally world ..li love santas and I use some ornaments very special to family etc.... love the colors and the mix of natural things with homemade etc.....I prefer white lights and I like lotsof lights - I learned years ago how to light a tree going deep in toward he trunk and giving it depth!

***** don't tell anyone but i'm ready to put my tree up NOW!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Oct 23 2013 4:44:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jane254
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jane
Richmond Virginia
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  02:58:08 AM  Show Profile
I have a real Christmas tree it is better for me, even though I think artificial are better and more economical, but real ones are prettier. I have always had red pine, but this year I have found one site that has other trees that are great for Christmas, so I have another one, just to try it. It is Colorado blue spruce, it looks great! Anyway, that site is called http://www.treestypes.com/ if you have difficulties in choosing the best Christmas tree.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  05:39:18 AM  Show Profile
Two small fiber optic trees and a group of 5 pencil trees for the presents to go under. Kids are gone and one or two autoimmune diseases have restricted my interest and ability to decorate the house to the nines. My new normal sad as it is.
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  06:35:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a artificial tree that has been around since my kids were small. Our daughter was allergic to real trees. I wrapped the limbs with lights several years back for a "pre lit" tree. Have a base that lets the tree turn and that means the back gets all decorated too! :)

I have ornaments from the first year we married (39 yrs), some that were my mom's WWII plastic, kid made ones, also have added and dated the ornaments through the years. Now have started with the grandkids. They love to see "their" ornaments on the tree.

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3946 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3946 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  10:46:14 AM  Show Profile
We have no room in our apartment for a tree so instead we get a wreath to hang in the window and put lights on it. I hang up all the Christmas cards and put out a few ornaments.

I make pomanders and hang them up. They smell so nice.

We have an interesting crèche too.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  12:13:34 PM  Show Profile
We have a gorgeous artificial pre lit tree that my MIL bought for us some years back, on sale after Christmas. It goes up the day after Thanksgiving, and comes down around New Years. As for ornaments, every year we each get a new ornament - my hubby gets something related to the Nativity, I get a Willow Tree ornament, and the kids each get one that represents them for the year. If we take a special family vacation, we also try to get an ornament representing that - for example, this past year we went to South Dakota and Wyoming, so we have a Mount Rushmore ornament, Laura Ingall's Homestead in De Smet, Crazy Horse, and are hopefully getting a Wyoming one here soon.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

QuiltyMom
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jan
Falls Church VA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  2:24:55 PM  Show Profile
We also do an artificial tree. It's a hand me down from my in laws, so it's been in in use for at least 15 years. We're always out of town for Chrismas so it's easier in the long run. The one time we had a real tree we had to hire someone to come in and water it for a week. That was the also time we did that.

We decorate it with ornaments that I've been collecting as a child. I love to unwrap them each year, even though it takes forever, I think I have we'll over 200 ornaments. We put it up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down on New Years Day.

Marie, I love that crèche!
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile
We do a real tree here. We live in a major tree farm area so they are pretty cheap here. Got a 12 foot tree for $20.00. I'm not quite sure what kind it is, but it smells fantastic.

We decorate with red and white lights and then the boys go to town with their ornaments. My hubby and I each add a few on from our own childhoods. Each year, the boys each get a new ornament that somehow represents something about the year. My oldest got one that is golf clubs, my middle got theater masks and my youngest got a dog that looks like one of our dogs.

We always decorate together as family with records playing on the antique phonograph, sparkling cider with a cherry in it and Christmas cookies. As we decorate, we often talk about the memories of each ornament. Such a sweet, sweet time!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

HunnysHen
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Jami
Texas
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  9:22:01 PM  Show Profile
I do an artificial 7 1/2 ft with a Northern Woods theme. It's soooooo unique. it's also a much older real looking tree that DOES NOT start from the floor up.............i love that I can put gifts UNDER it........biggest reason I cant bring myself to get a new one :-) It has the red/black checked Buffalo Plaid ribbon all thru-out and pinecone garland. Ornaments are moose, bear, deer, elk, wolves, fish,lures,woodland critters,etc.....and best of all........I use amber lights. It reminds me of a soft orange glow from a cabin in the woods. I'll try to post pics this Christmas........I get tons of compliments and have never seen another like it !! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY TREE !!!!!!!

w/ TEXAS SIZE Farmgirl HUGS !
Farmgirl Sister :
HunnysHen # 5876
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic What Kind of Christmas Tree for 2013... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page