hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  5:21:18 PM  Show Profile
The inside of our house is decorated. The outside isn't even started. Every day we (as in the kids and I) are trying to do a craft. I love love love this time of year.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  10:55:25 PM  Show Profile
I am so behind!!!

Judy, congratulations on your new babies!!! They are so cute!

CJ, as usual Miss Bramble is sweet as ever.

Connie, you do always chose the best pics.

Well, I got as far as the tree for decorating, too many things have come up. When unpacking tree decorations, our tree topper (a star) ended up falling apart. A friend gave it to us several years ago. I looked around and used a Crown of Thorns that same friend made me and placed that on the top of the tree with an ornament that says "Peace" and a Cross ornament. I have to say that I like it better :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  04:51:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow, the photos keep coming with all the fun and excitement across the USA this holiday season! Each entry is delightful to read about memories unpacked, cookies in the oven, trees and tablescapes , adorable pets , and holiday memories that lighten all of our hearts. I love coming here each day to see what has unfolded across our nation Farmgirl style!! My house is decorated with all sorts of pretty cards, ornaments,candles and countless other goodies from the December swaps I participated in. What a joy to have Farmgirl love surrounding me all day long! I cannot imagine my life without the MaryJaneFarm Connection and Mary Jane's magazine and personal presence in all of our lives. My life is so much richer and fun having found this opportunity one day when I picked up a magazine in Tractor supply. With Mary Jane, there would not be the chance to meet and share with all of you! So much diversity, experience, talent and good will gets shared everyday and we all benefit from the collective effort!

Yesterday we finally got some rain as a front passed through and today there is beautiful cooler weather left behind!! Finally, after 6 days of 80+degree weather. I am going to get a tree today and put it up while the cooler weather is here. Somehow the 80 degrees was not inspiring me to make the big effort. Knowing Florida, I have just a tiny window of cool weather before the heat returns so I better get busy! I will post a photo when done.

Happy December Days!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  11:09:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! So sorry it has taken so long to join the fun! It's going to take me a while to get through the posts, but I just want to wish you all a lovely holiday celebration and thank you, especially, Winnie for hosting this wonderful farmgirl gathering!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  5:19:13 PM  Show Profile
I came home from a long day in retail..to the mailbox I stopped first.. a BEAUTIFUL Christmas card from Connie. I don't know how to post pics, but I wish I could share it with all of you!! It made me cry tears of joy- what a true gift our friendship is!! Thank you so much for thinking of me- and for sharing SO many wonderful memories that were tucked away for many years... Connie you are such a blessing to me!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  08:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I love your tree!!! I just finished mine!

Lori, We are such Kindred Spirits! It was a joy to make it for you! Merry Christmas!! I also worked retail-K-mart for 10 years. Retail at this time of year would have tried the patience of JOB!!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392 This is an Antique store window, in a small town 30 miles from me, that has the old fashioned town square with the courthouse in the middle.,
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile
From Judy Mills, There is not a sweeter memory than " A Granny's Christmas Apron." This is Judy's Granny's Christmas Apron! So precious!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  11:08:52 AM  Show Profile
I love everyone's pictures and stories!!
Winnie - I feel the same about Mary Jane's website and sisters. It's amazing the impact you ladies have had on my life. I was thinking of you this morning when I was out doing chores and my nose hairs were freezing together. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to try and get in the mood for Christmas when it's in the 80's!! Here's what Christmas is like for me this year (it's not always this nice):

Last weekend we made some hot chocolate, turned the radio to a station playing Christmas songs and took off to get a tree. It was about 20 degrees with lots of sun and no wind - PERFECT - because it had snowed the 2 days before. We don't have as much as they did at the tree farm, but I'll take what I can get :)

The view at the tree farm

These look nice, but they're a bit too big

Measure this one

That should work! Lets get some of the snow off and make sure it still looks good

Lets take it home

For some reason they don't have a shaker or a wrapper anymore :( My husband used the skidloader to shake it up and down and get some of the snow and dead needles off. We let it sit in the laundry room over night to de-snow!!
We did good at not choosing one that too tall, but boy is it a fat tree!! I love it though. Here's what it looks like now.

Yes, it's mostly cow ornaments :)

Here's another of my trees. My husband is an International Harvester fan so a couple years ago I made him all this and everyday I'd give him something to open the month of December.

My third tree is up, but I haven't gotten all the popcorn and cranberries strung yet so I'll have to post pictures when it's done.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  11:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Here's a few of my favorite decorations around the house:

This was my birthday present from my husband:)

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  12:32:38 PM  Show Profile

Heather...I love your trees and your Christmas pretties...thanks for sharing:-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile

Thanks for posting my picture Connie:-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  1:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Heather,
Love your trees and decorations! Hope you're looking forward to a Blessed Christmas and great New Year!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  2:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Your Welcome Sweet Judy!

Heather, I love, love your pictures!!Both tress are beautiful!!! love the snow!!! and I see you do collect Santa Boots!! I will keep my eyes out for you when I am out browsing! I could not find one for your stocking, I tried, but I will keep looking! Better late than never! LOL!

Winnie, Ditto!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  3:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Heather- your trees are great!! thank you for posting the pics!

Connie- indeed we are kindred spirits!! I am so blessed!!

Tomorrow I am off, so I have some baking to do and some cleaning. They may do a little shopping...I would rather stay home and listen to Christmas music and sew!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile
Heather - It is great to place a picture with a name :) LOVE that your one tree is decorated with cows :) And it is lovely! One day we will have a real tree. I've never had one before....
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2013 :  05:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Shannon-
Mt daughters and I cut our first real tree down 12 years ago and will never forget it...we didn't really know what we were doing and they don't seem as big out in the open! We have 8 ft ceilings and the tree was about 14 feet! It belonged in our church not our home. A friend trimmed it down for us and it still took up half of our living room- it was huge. We still laugh and giggle about it every year. I wish I could post a picture of it- everyone could get a good laugh out of it!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2013 :  08:24:49 AM  Show Profile
Lori - I know exactly what you mean!!! We've been getting a real tree every year since we've been married (this is our 11th tree) and this is the first time we didn't have to trim it down. They look so little out in the open, but it's a different story when you bring them in! We've finally figured out that if I stand with my hand up above my head - that's all the taller our tree can be. Do you still get real trees?

I would recommend everyone get a real tree at least once. It's such a fun experience. It smells so good in the house too. They're a little harder to decorate because you can't bend the branches to hold the ornaments in just the right spot, but it's part of what makes them so special. Just don't leave them up too long. I broke our vacuum one year trying to sweep up all the dead needles that fell off.

We went out to eat with our best friends last night at a pizza place that's about an hour away (yes the pizza is that good) and were surprised that there was a band playing Christmas music. It was fun. We might get make some hot chocolate and drive around looking at Christmas light with them tonight. Next week is baking week :) I'm excited. I got a new mixer and the perfect apron from Shannon - It's got Christmas cows on it!!!
I'm also excited because we're supposed to get some more snow tonight and tomorrow - up to 6 inches!!!! Now if I could just get all my gifts finished....

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2013 :  6:26:05 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I miss those days going to cut down the Christmas Tree! We had a real tree the first 30 years we were married. When Holly was about 5, we let her pick the tree, every year and make 1 cut with the saw, until she went away to college. Nothing like the smell!!! Last year I got a 3 foot real one for my bedroom, the smell brought back so many memories!! I like being able to leave the artificial one up until the end of January, which is how long it take me to pack away all the ornaments. LOL!!! I have a 40 year collection and each one goes back in the box it came out of. Since I have fatigue from MS, I work on it for about 1 hour a day for 3 days.

The wise men did not get to Bethlehem until January 8th. and one year my dad could not get here until January 15th, so that is how I began leaving it up until the end of January. It is dark and cold out here in the country, so I love it. It usually stands for about 1 week with no ornaments just the lights on at night.

Your pictures reminded me of when my hubby and me were young, I got him to come and look at your pics. and he just smiled really big and said, Oh, I remember those days!! So thanks for the memories!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  06:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I love your trees! Wow, they are big and beautiful and very lovely in your home. Thanks for sharing everyone! Love these photos and holiday tidbits!!

Hehe, Heather, your comment about the freezing cold and nose hairs got my attention! Maybe I am delusional in wishing for such cold weather?? It all sounds romantic but maybe in reality, not so much! Lol!! We got a cool off into the 60s for a few days which was heavenly. Today is supposed to be 80 again , rain , and then days in the low 70s with 40s at night.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  08:15:44 AM  Show Profile
I just downloaded the photos of my house preparations and here they are. My husband is 100% Norwegian and many years ago, when the children were small, I was gifted with some books on norwegian customs. We were all excited to incorporate these into the family traditions and today they remain my children's fondest memories. My mom came down and helped me make some ornaments from straw and woven hearts. Since then, I have added a few more as I have had the opportunity t to find them in ethnic stores. The lovely snowflake shown in from my friend, Tasha, in Idaho. She has a lovely set this year in her Etsy store www.etsy.com/shop/woolandwhatnot which I purchased for both card tuck ins and for my tree. The flag garlands are typical of norwegian tree decorations and show the beautiful and colorful norwegian flag.

Here is the full tree.

On December 13, we have celebrated St. Lucia Day with making the famous saffron Lucia buns for breakfast. In this photo, you can see a picture of a St. Lucia procession on the match box and a mug with the norwegian Christmas greeting God Jul. This celebration was the mark for when the tree got put up in our home which is arbitrary but how we decided to order the month.

This summer, we had the opportunity to visit Finland and Norway. In Finland, we saw reindeer herds grazing in the Laplands above the Arctic Circle and met the indigenous Sami people who are their caregivers. To honor that visit, I ordered a print of a scandinavian girl riding a reindeer to set the stage for my winter scene on my little antique stove in the kitchen. There is also a small carved reindeer from the Sami people that I purchased at the Sami museum in northern Finland.

The next photo, shows a village with an old candle that was given to me at the classroom Christmas party in fifth grade in 1961. The Norwegian folklore do not have a santa figure. Instead, they have Nissen or trolls who lived on farms and were there to watch over livestock and the well being of the farm. They were , however, capable of mischief and destruction so families always left them a nice bowl of hot porridge on Christmas Eve to appease them. You can see the nissen on the coasters behind the little village and the wooden carved troll on the larger photo beside the ceramic tree.

Next up for tradition will be to make Sandbakkel cookies with Nana's sandbakkel molds. Mary Jane has a photo of them made into ornaments today on her raisinjane blog post.

The fun and sharing continues!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  09:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Winnie! I adore all your Christmas Treasures! To have that candle from your schooldays is so sweet! The tree is beautiful! and that Quilt, OOOOOOOOOOOO so awesome!!! What a wonderful adventure! visiting Norway and Finland! and meeting real reindeer!! Love the Picture of the girl on the reindeer!! How fun for your children to grow up learning about their Dad's heritage! Garrison Keillor tells the most wonderful stories about Norwegians and Norway! I love to listen to his show on PBS Saturdays and Sundays! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful Pictures!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  09:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Connie - Love the barn picture!!! I'm glad to bring some happy memories to you and your husband.

Winnie - The snow all depends on your attitude. I love it (no matter how much my nose hairs stick together and the water buckets freeze) I couldn't imagine living some place that is doesn't snow. It's magical I think. But, with that said most people around here complain all winter long about the cold and the snow. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and story. I think it's wonderful that you embrace your husbands heritage!! I would love to go to other countries and see how they celebrate Christmas. There is a book series that my Grandma and I read that is about a family that came from Norway to settle in North Dakota. It's fiction, but it's a wonderful series by Lauraine Snelling. They come to get the free land and start out sleeping under their wagons!! The books follow through their children growing up, getting married, and having children.

I have more pictures to post, but unfortunately I've already used up my break time so it'll have to wait. It'll be worth the wait though. It's my third tree finally complete, some lights we seen last night while driving around with friends, and the beautiful snow we got last night (and it's still snowing 2 snowmobiles just went by).

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  09:41:19 AM  Show Profile
Connie,
LOVE the photo, there is just something about a red barn against the white snow that is just perfect!
Heather,
hubby would go crazy over the IH tree, it is so beautiful!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  2:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Brenda Wheeler made the sheep! and I got a big surprise today on Teri-Kysheeplady's Birthday, (Happy Birthday Teri!)she ordered the Gray one for me and had Brenda mail it to me! Thanks Teri!!
Teri, you are so right! Red barns and Snow!

Heather, I am sooooooo excited that YOU HAVE SNOW!! and saw snow mobiles go by! I have only seen a snowmobile on TV!

Connie
Imaine....#3392
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Holidays: Previous Topic Farmgirl Holiday Virtual Gathering Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page