wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  08:55:15 AM  Show Profile

I would have to say it is probably of my mom...married in 1947 my parents didn't have the money to buy wedding rings...and as time went by I am really not sure why they never did...but one year when I was very young...my dad decided he wanted to get my mom a wedding band...she had no clue...we wrapped in graduated size boxes...filling each box with rocks and cans and whatever we could find...she kept opening box after box...we had so much fun...because we all knew what it was except my mom...the look on her face when she finally opened the little jewelry box was priceless...definitely a Kodak Moment...she cherished that ring more than any earthly possession until she passed away...matter of fact she told me only a couple of days before she passed that if anything happened to her she wanted me to have her ring...I do have it and cherish it so much...

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3463 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3463 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  09:31:16 AM  Show Profile
Judy
That is a wonderful memory. Thank you for sharing. I will have to debate mine, I just love them all.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  09:49:37 AM  Show Profile

Thanks Kelly:-) :-) :-) can't wait until you post your favorite memory :-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  12:10:03 PM  Show Profile
My favorite memory was back in 1986 on Christmas Eve, my whole family was at our home for dinner and exchanging gifts. I got married that October, so had a new husband, that was wonderful in itself, but that was the last family gathering that we had with everyone in my family except my mother. My youngest daughter had a brain tumor and this was her 4th year with it, we were told she had a zero percent chance of living 5 years. Well, she had the best Christmas ever in her very short life of 7 years. She made the whole family, about 24 of us, all appreciate all that we had. She died the next August, and we never had the whole family together again after that!!! I put up a tree every year just for her and added an angel, and a dated ornament. I did this for 19 years, after the tree for her just got too big. I do have 13 handmade ornaments that she made the summer that she died. They will be with me forever!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  12:28:52 PM  Show Profile

Janet...how heart warming yet heart wrenching at the same time...thank you so much for sharing with us...so happy that you do have the sweet memories and the ornaments she made :-)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  12:49:15 PM  Show Profile
I am glad I read that memory today. It really lifted me. Thank you for a lovely (and true) story!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  2:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Judy and Janet, you made tears roll down my face! I will have to think on this!

Hugs!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile

What a beautiful picture...we used to have some tubs like that when I was younger...brings back such sweet memories:-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  08:00:57 AM  Show Profile
My favorite one, as a child was in the early 1960's. It snowed a big snow the day before Christmas Eve and we still had snow past Christmas Day! My mom and step-Dad had the Aluminum tree with the Color Wheel, and I got my Skipper room that year! We have my Mother-in-law's tree and wheel. My Holly wanted me to put it up this year. So I got it finished. Here is a picture. It is a little on the ragged side. You had to store those trees carefully back in the paper sleeves the branches came in, each year.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  1:35:38 PM  Show Profile
I remember these trees!! We never had one but I so remember seeing them in family homes in the early 1960s. It looks great all fixed up despite it's years.

Thanks for sharing another blast from the past!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  4:17:21 PM  Show Profile

Oh it is beautiful:-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  5:07:20 PM  Show Profile
My favorite Christmas memory is not nearly as grand as y'all's, but it is the last one I remember having with my grandmother before her Alzheimer's Disease really kicked in. All the children hads pitched in to buy her a new television. up until that point, she hard one that you turned the little knob on the bottom to switch the channel. Anyways, we took the HUGE box the television came in, wrapped the remote control, put it in the bottom, filled the box with newspaper, and then wrapped the huge box. She thought the gift was a prank when she opened the huge box, revealing lots of newspaper and a little wrapped gift in it. She told all her kids, and us grandchildren, that she was going to get us with the fly swatter or broom. The confusion on her face when she got the remote was just too funny... and then the delight when they brought in her new television was just priceless. My grandmother passed away some years ago - but I still miss her dearly! Perhaps that is why one with her is my most favorite!
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  05:07:20 AM  Show Profile

Shannon...how sweet is that memory of your grandmother...I too loved my granny...she was born in 1899 and would be overwhelmed with the technology we have today...I always loved to hear her talk about the days of old:-):-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  6:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, I loved the story of your Grandmother and Wow~ Judy, your granny born in 1899! since my Granny raised me I love hearing Granny stories!!They are special people God lent to us!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  8:14:20 PM  Show Profile

Connie...I am old soul like her in so many ways...I keep her apron hanging in my kitchen all the time...my family means so much to me...my granny and my mom and dad shaped who I am today...so thankful for the upbringing I had...so many precious memories of holidays spent with my family...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

579 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
579 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  11:32:45 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother made two types of punch to serve our family when we got to her house on Christmas Eve.One punch was alcoholic, the other was meant for us kids.
It was her birthday. She prepared 5 pots of pickled pork, one pot for each of her sons and daughters. It's a Portuguese tradition. My Mom would fix it for breakfast on Christmas morning. My grandmother always prepared the best dinner on her birthday ending with her unbelievable coconut cake. She let us open one present that she selected that night. After we opened our presents, she would then open her birthday gifts. I remember the Christmas lights all over her house and her tree. It was a magical place.
Trust me, I do whatever I can to recreate a memory for my two grandsons each holiday. I want them to have the same warm, wonderful memories I treasure from my childhood. I was so lucky to have my grandmother.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9374 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9374 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2013 :  04:17:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh my you all have such beautiful memories! My grandmothers both passed when I was very young so I don't remember a lot about them.
Would love to come up with some ideas to make this a memorable Christmas for my grandchildren.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Favorite Christmas Memories... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page