Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 ~*~Celebrating Fall: Crafts & Decorating~*~
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Crafts & Decorating~*~ Next Topic
Page: of 3

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  07:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Fall Loving Farmgirls!

Nini and I wanted to have a special place on board where we could all participate in celebrating Autumn. So, we have collaborated and come up with some special threads in honor of the Fall season. So be sure to check other Celebrating Fall threads

The air is nippy, the leaves are slowly starting to change, children are hopping on the bus on their way to school. Fall is right around the corner. So, grab yourself a nice hot cup of tea or coffee (or cocoa) and let's share!

Please post your favorite Autumn Craft & Decorating ideas, links, photos and more in anticipation of Autumn

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 31 2013 1:57:16 PM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  08:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Well for starters, I decorate the mantles in the TV and dining rooms. Then I have an old stove in my kitchen that I decorate . Outside in our deck area , I have some fall leaf garlands with mini colored lights and a stone pumpkin you can keep a candle in. On my front porch, I have some silk flower corn stalks with a real pumpkin beneath, scarecrow flag and pumpkin basket full of fall silk flowers on the front door. I also have a collection of fall coffee mugs from Hartstone Pottery in Ohio that come out September one. There are fall themes and Halloween mugs!! Love them!!

What do others like to do??

Winnie #3109
We are now below the Arctic for the first time in 4 days but it is cold and rainy today . It is however fall in Norway so I am very happy wearing jeans, long sleeve shirt and a fleece top!!!
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  03:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Here is a small sample of how I decorate for fall. This was taken last year. And I decorate very similar throughout the year. My home is very rustic and cabin-style.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  10:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I love garlands on mantles (and everwhere else too!) I found the website for Hartstone Pottery:

http://www.hartstonepottery.com/falldinnerware.asp

Really beautiful pottery. It must be so cozy having a cup of mulled cider in one of those mugs :)

Arttie, your vignette looks beautiful. I am such a pinecone girl :) And quilts make everything cozy :)

Some ways that I decorate:

~Candles and tarts, I myself prefer Beeswax, the warm glow and delicious scent.
~I like to bring nature indoors, my honey and I go for drives in the mountains and I glean Aspen branches, Acorns, Pinecones and Rose hips.
~I also like to make swags using spices,etc.
~I use amber light bulbs in the lamps in our living room. They give off such a warm, cozy glow.
~I display vintage Autumn & Thanksgiving Postcards as well and plan on using a large frame with carved wood I got from the thrift store (that just so happens to have acorns on it :)), run line of jute across and pin the postcards to it. Our Ranch Farm Girl Shery shared this craft in MJ's newsletter.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 27 2013 10:41:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile
It's too early to decorate here. The leaves won't change until October-ish. We like to go to a state park and collect all colors of leaves to press.

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  11:58:21 PM  Show Profile
I love to line the mantel with fall leaves and lots of pumpkins. I collect pumpkins so I have quite a variety. None made it in the garden this year. Considering a different place to grow them next year. But the markets will have tons soon. I have fall table runners and placemats. Quilted table tops and an autumn log cabin quilt with wool batting for the bed. Can hardly wait. We're still very much summer in the NW but it will cool off. My grandkids get too excited about Halloween if I bring out all the Halloween decorations too soon. So I have to be patient.....not my strong suit! Help!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  05:15:10 AM  Show Profile
Artie! That is just so pretty! I love the lamp! I have always had a special love of pine cones - I have no idea why! One thing I like to do in the fall and winter is to coat them with peanut butter, roll them in bird seed and then hang them from the branches with pretty red bows for the birds. I'm always amazed at how quickly they are gleaned - they just love it!

I'm sorry for the delay in contributing, Sharon! Please forgive me! We had a little setback last week when my brother-in-law's docks broke loose and washed up river during the flooding, and then got a call that our niece's mother-in-law is passing. I have started fall cleaning and dismantling the garden, but haven't been able to pull out all the decorations yet as planned. Soon! I promise! Soon! Thanks so much for posting the threads, though - you're the best! I can't WAIT to see what we all come up with for fall!

I've got three pumpkins hiding out there that are just starting to turn orange... I am hesitant to leave them because the squash bugs have finally won the battle and I don't want to lose them, too.

Kristina - We were in Maryland and the Gettysburg area over the past couple of weeks. The leaves are already changing in that area - only in bits and pieces, but the colors are breathtaking. I wanted to take pictures to post, but my husband was on a mission to get to our destination - everything taken through the car window turned out to be nothing but a blur. ;) Here in Pittsburgh, I haven't noticed any vibrant changes yet, but everything sure does look brown. Summer went by so fast because of this goofey weather... I PRAY we don't miss out on the autumnal profusion of colors, too! I'll CRY!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  07:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Sunflowers and apples seem like fall to me. We have been picking our apples and yesterday I made applesauce. Here's a pic of both apples and sunflowers I wish I could keep them ALL Fall.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful pic, Mary Beth! Sure looks like fall at your home! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Kristina,
I love gathering leaves and pressing them. On our roadtrip Thursday I found some Aspen leaves on the ground that were orange and shades of red so I just had to pick them up and press them :)

Oh Sylvia, your Autumn Log Cabin quilt sounds wonderful and warm. I think that Log Cabin quilts are my favorite.

Nini, no problems! I know that this past week has been a hard one. I wish I knew what to tell you with the pumpkins. I hope they do well.

Mary Beth, I love your photo! Yes, Sunflowers are right there to transition us into Fall :)

On our trip I found some Rosehips, so we clipped a few branches and some ferns were turning color so I have them hanging to dry right now. I can't wait to create with them.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  1:33:41 PM  Show Profile
We picked them, Sharon! We actually put a lot of our garden to rest today, and it was a good thing. Most of our squash plants were rotting from the squash bugs... SO sad. Dang squash bugs. Thankfully, though, we've got five small pumpkins to celebrate - they are outside on the back steps sitting in the sun as I type! ALSO! I was THRILLED to see that our "Cinderella" pumpkins (Musquee de Provence) are THRIVING, too! They ended up growing up over the fence into our neighbor's yard, down our side of the fence into the antique lilac and wisterias... We've actually got a few really decent sized ones out there! Our neighbor had a good laugh because all this time he thought they were the melons we planted... He told us a little while back that when he was growing up during the War in Italy, there was a time that all they had to eat was pumpkins, so he could care less if he sees one ever again. This afternoon he said that although he's disappointed that they aren't melons, he likes them because they are very pretty. In the next breath, he got a twinkle in his eye and announced that he just might hold them hostage for some of our fall veggies! LOL! He's such a sweetheart... He's like a father to us. We give him gifts from the garden all summer long... 'Like he'd have to hold ANYTHING hostage! LOL!

Our son had this wonderful book when he was little called, "Too Many Pumpkins." It was one of his favorites, and the story line is similar to our neighbor's experience. He plans to give it to him as a gift - just to make him giggle. I can't wait for him to read it! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  3:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth and Artie, love the pictures! Artie, I have a lamp almost like that! I love the cabin feel, I have my guest room decorated like that all year!
Nini, I love the Pumpkin-melon story, so sweet, your neighbor, and it is a blessing to receive gifts from the Garden. I love decorating with pumpkins and leaves.My Mantle is my favorite thing.Thisyear I have Pumpkins made from real sheep's wool from Teri-kysheeplady - White Sheep Farm. She has really pretty pictures on her blog of the farm. Hers is a picture of them.
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  3:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Connie
Those pumpkins are darling! I use quite a few pumkins in my decorating...all the character they provide is wonderful.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  4:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, I love pumpkins of all sorts! This was a pic I submitted for a recipe badge. It is hard to see, but she used dried stems and rusted wire curled up for the vines.

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  4:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Those are awesome! I have seen them on Terri's Etsy site before... They've been on my wishlist for a while... Now that I've seen them in your photo, they've punched up to my "must have!" list! LOVE them!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  5:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Just bought them, Connie! Thank you so much for sharing the pic and reminding me how much I love them!

For those of you who would like to peruse Terri's Etsy site: http://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive?ref=l2-shop-info-name

I'm so excited! She has such lovely things!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  6:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Connie, Too cute!!! I have been eyeing those pumpkins from Terri's site too, but it's a luxury right now :)
So Nini, how did you save money today?

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  6:50:06 PM  Show Profile
They look better in person, really, the picture does not do them justice! She spun and dyed the yarn! I was eyeing them too and showed them to my hubby. Mine were an anniversary present. Glad I drug him to the computer! LOL! We love animals, so he loves to see all the Farm Girls pets. I love going and just looking at the pictures every week, of the sheep and the flowers and her cats and dogs. Now, I have so many places I want to put them! LOL!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  7:39:03 PM  Show Profile
I didn't take my husband with me... So I blew money.. Shhhh.... Don't tell.... Guess I got my anniversary gift today! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  7:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I guess I will have to wait until January for mine :)

Connie, I have checked out Terri's blog and she has some amazing yarns that she spins, just beautiful.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 31 2013 7:55:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2013 :  06:33:27 AM  Show Profile
I love the pictures. I love seeing what others are doing in their decorating.

I saved for those lamps for a loooooong time. Hubby kept telling me to just go buy something so we could have some light. I wouldn't settle until they were on sale for the perfect price.

Keep the pictures coming.
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2013 :  09:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Connie that sounds so neat. Also Teri must be thrilled with all the interest you stirred up with them. I might have to buy some too. :)

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  4:32:07 PM  Show Profile
It is too early here to decorate though I have been thinking about it today. Our maple tree is already turned color. It is always the first to turn and go bare. I like to wait till the bittersweet is ready and I use that as well as candles and pumpkins. I have a lot of little knick knack things my children have given me that I use as well.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  2:50:38 PM  Show Profile
I sure miss Maple Trees in the Fall Denise.
I found this site a few years ago and have been wanting to try making Maple Leaf Roses but with no Maple leaves it isn't going to happen :) Maybe you can and you can have a nice bouquet come time to really decorate :)

http://haha.nu/arts/artwork/how-to-make-roses-from-maple-leaves/

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow Sharon, what will they think up next? Might have to give those a try!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:57:34 PM  Show Profile
I love fall. I love decorating with pumpkin and scarecrows. I've already got my stuff out and am trying to find the best place for everything in my new cabin. During October I'll put out a few cute ghoulish things for the kids and then take it down after Halloween. But my fall stuff will stay up till the day after Thanksgiving. Then we make the switch to Christmas decor. This is my very 1st attempt at making a wreath. I got all the stuff at Hobby Lobby and I just love it.
Ok. Can't post a pic from my phone. I'll have to post it when I get on my computer

I really am enjoying this thread. It's like getting to visit your homes

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Crafts & Decorating~*~ Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page