Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 ~*~Celebrating Fall: Harvest Kitchen~*~
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Harvest Kitchen~*~ Next Topic
Page: of 3

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies!

Nini and I wanted to have a special place on board where we could all participate in celebrating Autumn. So, we have collaborated and come up with some special threads in honor of the Fall season. So be sure to check other Celebrating Fall threads

Time to get cozy! The temperatures are dropping, soon there will be a fire in the woodstove and quilts and throws tossed about. What makes any season come alive? Food! Our comfort zone :) Take a deep breath and smell the air. What aromas do you smell? Venison Stew cooking in the Dutch Oven? Or maybe Hot Mulled Cider? The spicy scent of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in the Pumpkin Pie you just pulled from the oven?

Share your Fall Recipes: main meals, beverages, desserts, you name it! We want it!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 31 2013 1:56:53 PM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  08:58:09 AM  Show Profile
I will get back to this post when I return next week and can share some recipes!! I once worked with a surgeon who said his wife always made chili for lunch on the first cool day in the fall. Somehow that idea stuck with me so now I always make white chili on the first cool eve of our fall which is sometimes by late October. Chili with cornbread and apple butter! Pretty easy and delicious !!

Can't wait to hear what others are planning! I am so excited to have Internet connection today. It has been very iffy here along the northern coast of Norway!! Thanks for getting these ideas started for us!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  12:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Apple cider caramels...yum! Can't wait!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  12:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, Chili with Cornbread and Apple Butter sounds perfect!

Elizabeth, where is the recipe? I have made Chipotle Caramels and they are good too!

My honey and I came up with a recipe years ago with Hot Caramel Apple Cider. We were excited when Gooseberry Patch published it. Friends of ours call it Apple Pie in a Mug

Here it is:

Hot Caramel Apple Cider

Spiced Apple Cider
Homemade Caramel Syrup or Ice Cream Topping
Homemade Whipped Cream
Cinnamon Sticks (to garnish with)
Ground Cinnamon or Nutmeg(to garnish with)

Heat spiced cider. (If using regular cider, simmer in crock-pot with mulling spices) Add about 1 teaspoon of caramel topping to each mug of cider. Stir until dissolved. Top with dollop of homemade whipped cream; add cinnamon stick and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.

To make homemade whipped cream: Place about 1 cup of heavy or whipping cream in bowl with desired amount of powdered sugar. Add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. Using hand mixer, whisk until firm and fluffy. You may need to stop and scrape sides of bowl occasionally to ensure that all the sugar is mixed in.
This hot drink is perfect for the Fall. The aroma and taste are wonderful!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  08:46:30 AM  Show Profile
Here is what I am making today:

Hearty Sirloin Crock Pot Stew

2 pounds sirloin tips (cut into 1-inch cubes)
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1 can beef broth
1 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn kernels
3 medium carrots (sliced)
1 medium onion (sliced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon liquid browning

Combine all ingredients and place in bottom of crock-pot. Cover and cook on low for approximately 8 hours or until beef is tender. You can add a mixture of cornstarch and water (equal amounts) if you would prefer a thicker stew. This is great with a crusty loaf of French Bread

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah.....go to my blog for a yummy recipe for Caramel Dumplings. This is a rich, warm dessert that makes everyone happy!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  05:30:08 AM  Show Profile
That sounds amazing, Sharon! So do those dumplings, Sherone! YUM! I'm gaining weight just thinking about them! LOL!

Last week I picked up two jars of pumpkin butter in Chambersburg - yum! All I need to find are those little white flower-shaped soda crackers for dipping!

Here's a chicken recipe I came across a few years ago. Since the first time I made it, it has become a family favorite. I hope you enjoy it, too!

SPICE-RUBBED CHICKEN

4 c. thickly sliced onions, any kind, but a mix of red, white and yellow are best (you can use a lot less if you don't have many)

(1) 5 - 6 lb. whole roasting chicken

2 T. Olive Oil

Spice Rub:

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. ground coriander

½ tsp. salt

¼ tsp. ground cinnamon

¼ tsp. ground black pepper

1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees; . In a large, shallow roasting pan place half the onions in even layers. Sprinkle with ¼ tsp. of the salt; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine sugar and remaining seasonings.

Brush or rub chicken all over with olive oil.

Sprinkle spice mixture all over chicken and rub in with fingers.

Place chicken breast side up on top of onions in pan. Loosely cover with foil. Roast 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove foil. Add remaining onions to pan. Roast, uncovered, 60 minutes more, OR until the drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink. (Thigh temperature should be 180.)

Remove from oven. Cover with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before covering.

Serve chicken with roasted onions on top or on side.

I have also done this recipe using a combination of yellow squash, carrots and onions - perfect for autumn! Yum!

I think today I'm going to make a PUMPKIN DUMP CAKE, too, for my niece and her family:

Basically you make a double batch of your favorite pumpkin pie filling and pour it into an ungreased 9x13 pan (I add a little extra spice to mine because we like it spicy). On top of that, pour an entire box of dry yellow cake mix (cheapest brand is perfect, or you can make your own mix). Then spread 1 cup of chopped pecans on top of the dry cake mix. Then thinly slice a stick of butter (or margarine - I just don't use margarine), and place it all over the layer of nuts (it will melt and spread during cooking). Bake in a 350 degree oven for about one hour until done. Let cool. Wonderful when served warm or cold. It never lasts long in our home! LOL!

Happy day, girls! Happy day!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 31 2013 05:32:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  08:59:19 AM  Show Profile
This morning I made apple muffins from last fall's dehydrated apples for the very first time! Can we say YUM??? As I was finishing the batter with cinnamon sugar topping, it occurred to me to share with you that adding cinnamon sugar to my coffee on chilly autumn mornings is one of my favorite fall treats! If you haven't tried it, you simply MUST!

Here is my recipe for the muffins:

CINNAMON APPLE MUFFINS

1/2 c. butter, melted
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 c. flour (very good with any flour, but I like a mixture of half whole wheat, half unbleached white OR half oatmeal flour you grind yourself from oatmeal and half unbleached white flower)
1 tbsp. cinnamon (and a little more if you like it spicy like we do!)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 cup milk
1/2 cup applesauce (I use cinnamon applesauce because that's what I make)
1 pint jar of dehydrated apples, OR 3 cups chopped apples mixed with a little flour to capture the juices
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon sugar

Oven to 350 degrees.

Mix butter and sugar well.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to blend.

Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.

Add dry ingredients to mixture alternately with milk and applesauce.

Fold in apples and walnuts. (I think a handful of Red Hots would make this recipe just that much more perfect!)

Scoop mixture into paper lined or greased muffin tins and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar with an ice cream scoop. (One scoop should suffice per muffin cup, but you can add more if you like.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes until top is lightly browned and springy-firm. Remove from oven and pans. Cool on rack until warm.

Enjoy!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 31 2013 09:30:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing Nini :) Those both sound so good!

I am experimenting today for church tomorrow:

Sour Cream Pumpkin Coffee Cake

I'll post back tomorrow with results

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  1:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Oooooh.. does that sound good, Sharon! I can't wait to hear how it turns out! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Just copied all the wonderful recipes from above! Thanks for sharing! I will also check out the Carmel Dumplings! Apple Cider Caramels yum! Chili has to be the welcoming Fall supper for my family with Cornbread and Applesauce Bread!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  4:40:15 PM  Show Profile
This sounds fabulous. I'm copying this recipe. Thanks for sharing. I just lost my older crockpot. I was cooking a pork roast on low the other day and the stoneware part cracked. I've never had that happened.

quote:
Originally posted by Calicogirl

Here is what I am making today:

Hearty Sirloin Crock Pot Stew

2 pounds sirloin tips (cut into 1-inch cubes)
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1 can beef broth
1 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn kernels
3 medium carrots (sliced)
1 medium onion (sliced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon liquid browning

Combine all ingredients and place in bottom of crock-pot. Cover and cook on low for approximately 8 hours or until beef is tender. You can add a mixture of cornstarch and water (equal amounts) if you would prefer a thicker stew. This is great with a crusty loaf of French Bread

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  6:36:02 PM  Show Profile
I hope you like it Sylvia, the first time I made it my honey had to have it the next day for breakfast :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  8:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Here is a link for a recipe for Harvest Moon cookies that I like to make.

http://turkeyfeathers.typepad.com/turkey_feathers/2005/10/harvest_moon_co.html

They are kind of a crunchy twist on a snickerdoodle :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile

Thanks for sharing this recipe. My grandson adores snickerdoodle cookies. He'll love these. I'll have him help me make some tomorrow. Yum!
quote:
Originally posted by Calicogirl

Here is a link for a recipe for Harvest Moon cookies that I like to make.

http://turkeyfeathers.typepad.com/turkey_feathers/2005/10/harvest_moon_co.html

They are kind of a crunchy twist on a snickerdoodle :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  05:35:00 AM  Show Profile

All the recipes sound so delicious! Connie...we always have crackers with our chili...never tried it with cornbread...may have to try that. We do love home made vegetable soup here in the Fall...I was just thinking God is so wonderful to all of us...He gave us all the beautiful seasons to enjoy...and great friends to share them with here on the farm!

"A Falling Leaf is Summer's Wave Goodbye"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  4:33:03 PM  Show Profile
fresh apple sauce. A few of the apple varieties are starting to ripen. fresh is good
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  08:20:43 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, there is a recipe for Snickerdoodle Muffins on my blog, as well. I promise that your grandson will gobble them up!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  09:31:37 AM  Show Profile
Mmmm... Snickerdoodle anything sounds yummy right about now! You know, I never even heard of snickerdoodles until I was in my late 20's when we moved to PA! Just think about all those lost years!!! ;)

Here my mother-in-law's zucchini casserole recipe for those of you who still have lots of zucchini! You can also use frozen cubed zucchini for this one. We love it in the cooler weather, but especially at the holidays. :)

Grandma Birdie’s Zucchini Casserole

Casserole:

3 c. diced zucchini
2 c. shredded carrots
1 med. onion, chopped
1 sm. jar pimientos
1 can cream of chicken or cream of celery soup
½ c. sour cream
½ package Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix

Topping:

1 c. Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix
½ c. melted butter or margarine

Oven to 350 degrees.

Boil zucchini in water until tender, drain well. In large bowl, lightly mix together all ingredients for casserole and turn into a casserole dish. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes til bubbly. Melt butter in pan and lightly saute remaining 1 c. stuffing mix. Sprinkle over top of casserole and return to oven, baking until topping is brown and crunchy.

Just FYI: I have used my own bread stuffing mix and made my own cream of chicken soup for this recipe, so if you're a creative cook, don't feel limited to the premade ingredients! :)

Enjoy!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  3:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, I'm so ready but NOT yet. this is the crazy season for us and everything needs harvesting, though peaches are almost done. the garden is rampant, the market is busy and I'm working teleworking full time again (ugh). Through in the 2 year old and I am ready for fall, but I'm just not ready for it yet (have to fix the green house).

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  4:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Laurie,I bet you are so busy. My honey and I went to Hotchkiss yesterday to pick up a pig :) It is so beautiful there! CJ asked if I was going to check up on you but we figured that you were really busy with the harvest and it would have been a little hard with the pig.

Sherone, thanks! I am going to check it out now, that sounds good.

Nini, thanks for sharing your Mother in law's recipe. I'm glad you posted that alternatives to the canned soup and premade stuffing work well :)

Okay, so I made the Sour Cream Pumpkin Coffee Cake for church Sunday and I was told it was a Keeper :) So without further adieu:

Sour Cream Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
3 Eggs
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice (I used a Baking Spice that I have and will post the recipe)
2 cups all-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Sour Cream

Streusel:
1 cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Butter, softened
2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup Chopped Nuts (I used walnuts and toasted them first)

Filling:
1 3/4 cup Pumpkin, solid pack (I used Pumpkin Puree from our freezer)
1 slightly beaten egg
1/3 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan. Make streusel; set aside. cream butter, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Add eggs. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. In another bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, sugar and pie spice and whisk well. Spoon 1/2 of the batter into pan and spread to the edges of pan. Sprinkle half of the streusel over batter. Spread pumpkin mixture over streusel. Carefully spread remaining batter over pumpkin mixture and sprinkle remaining streusel over top. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean.

**I made a glaze with powdered sugar, milk, and maple extract and drizzled it on top :)

Source: Country Door Catalog

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  4:55:58 PM  Show Profile
Baking Spice

6 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
1 Tablespoon dried orange peel
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1) Combine all ingredients together. I have a coffee grinder just for spices so this is what I used.
2) Store in an airtight container.
3) Use this mix in recipes that call for the ingredients above.
4) If a recipe calls for the above spices, add up all of the measurements and use the same amount in your recipe.

Makes about 1/2 cup

**I use this in my Honey-Pumpkin Pie recipe, pancakes, quick breads and muffins :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  10:59:03 AM  Show Profile
I hope you kept the fat from the pig. I rendered my first lard and made soap! it was great.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  11:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I have this same spice recipe that someone posted last year!! funny thing is that I went to the store today to gather the ingredients I needed to make up a batch. It is so useful and delicious! I love it in hot oatmeal every morning too. If anyone is reading this post, I encourage you to try this spice mix as it is just flat out wonderful!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  2:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, the pig we got is for breeding, but when the time comes around next year with the litter (once the little ones are old enough for the freezer) we will be saving the fat too. We get tallow from the butcher when we get a side of beef and my honey renders the tallow for his soap :)

Winnie, it was probably me :) I am going to try it in oatmeal though, that sounds so good!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 05 2013 2:19:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  3:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful recipes everyone! I saved them to make when the cooler weather hits.

I have a recipe for Turtle Pie that we make for Thanksgiving. It is very rich so I only make it once a year. I will be back to post it once I dig it out.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Harvest Kitchen~*~ Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page