Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 ~*~Celebrating Fall: Farmgirl Fashions~*~
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Farmgirl Fashions~*~ Next Topic
Page: of 2

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  08:03:45 AM  Show Profile
Nini and I wanted to have a special place on board where we could all participate in celebrating Autumn. So, we have collaborated and come up with some special threads in honor of the Fall season. So be sure to check other Celebrating Fall threads

I remember when I was a little girl I could not wait for school to start which meant, new school clothes! Walking to school in a new sweater, a new plaid wool skirt and knee socks to match. Kicking up fall leaves in my new loafers

Fall is a time for reflecting, things are slowing down. But we also have a new fresh start! What are some of your favorite items to wear?

Don't be shy about posting photos or if you have any links that want to share, that would be welcome too!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 31 2013 1:57:38 PM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  08:52:27 AM  Show Profile
Saron- I have memories of the same kinds of clothes for school in Virginia!! Today , living in Florida, it is often too not and humid to wear fall clothes until November. There are a few cool days in October mornings but by afternoon, it is up in the 80s again! I try to have fall colors tees and some light weight pants to start wearing in September and October to just get the feel of Fall. I always retire white pants and shoes after Labor Day just because that was tradition growing up in the 1950s and 1960s. I DO have several fall print aprons made by our MJF country grace that I love to wear them!! Even if it is hot outside, I am wearing an apron with scarecrows or pumpkins!!

Winnie#3109
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  11:59:53 AM  Show Profile

I'm working on these crochet boot cuffs in anticipation if the cooler weather. I can't wait for boots and oversized sweaters!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  12:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, no white before Memorial Day and no white after Labor Day :) Fall aprons are the perfect touch and can instantly bring you in the season.

Elizabeth, those boot cuffs are beautiful! I need to learn how to make those too!

Thanks for sharing ladies!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, how Beautiful!! and Warm! Sharon, I got new penny loafers too and put dimes in them which I thought was so cool for a 5th grader! I always walked to Elementary School about 1 mile from my home, with a group from our neighborhood. Those are some of the sweetest memories of my life, the leaves falling on a windy day, all of us excited about the Fall-Halloween Carnival at school and If our moms had an old white sheet we could make a Ghost costume out of. Eating Potato Soup and cornbread on Chilly Fall Nights! I love Forums like this!! and will be checking back to read all these wonderful memories!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  6:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Girls,

How sweet are the memories. I remember the new school clothes and the excitement of a new school year. I remember so many things about Fall...especially spending time with my father. I loved to spend time with him at the barn...where everything was happening. We grew tobacco in those days...1960's and early 1970's. That was our extra money for the year. My brother hooked up a radio for us to listen to as we helped my father "strip" and grade the tobacco for sale in December. We would sit on bales of hay while we worked. I remember also helping my father gather walnuts which we cracked and my sister used them to make home made chocolate and peanut butter fudge for the holidays. We would get walnut stain on our hands when we picked them up. We would lay them in the driveway and my father would run over them with the truck tires to get the shell off of them. I loved sitting on the front porch swing and watch the leaves fall from the trees...sometimes it was so cold that I would have a sweater and a coat on and my mom and my granny would make me put a quilt around me if I wanted to stay out for a long time. I vividly remember Thanksgiving Days...and all the home made goodies and the smell of a turkey baking with home made cornbread dressing. We would have chocolate pies...molasses stack cake and German chocolate cake with home made coconut pecan frosting for dessert. The recipe was from the Baker's German Sweet Chocolate package. Everything was home made:):):) My mom and granny were the greatest cooks ever. I will be watching this thread as I love sharing memories from all the farm sisters here. What a wonderful topic of conversation. Happy Fall!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"A Falling Leaf is Summer's Wave Goodbye"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Edited by - wildflower17 on Aug 27 2013 06:19:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  6:49:16 PM  Show Profile
This is a mouth-watering thread! Brings back so many delicious memories! Autumn is magical.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  10:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Connie, thanks for sharing :) Dimes, I never thought of that :) And Potato Soup and Cornbread sound perfect. I love seeing and feeling the leaves falling too. The smell of the leaves, how they sound when a breeze rustles them in the trees. Spying squirrels and chipmunks gathering acorns. Beautiful photo too!

Judy, I feel like I am reading an excerpt from Little House. Your memories sound like so much fun. I grew up in NE and my first job was working in Tobacco fields one summer. I actually loved the physical labor and preferred that over babysitting like most girls my age did. Have you ever tried making walnut ink? That is something I would love to try. Wrapped in a quilt on the front porch swing sounds divine :)

Rosemary, Autumn is a wonderful time, I just love it :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  12:18:06 PM  Show Profile
Sharon,

I never heard of making walnut ink...but it does sound interesting...so funny...my DH and I love to watch Little House...Connie I too remember putting money in my penny loafers...so interesting is this thread...I just heard Celine Dion saying of her days of growing up in a family of 14 children...that they never had money but yet they were rich...how touching...I know exactly how she feels...I am so rich with memories:):):)

Oh how I love the Fall season:)

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440

Edited by - wildflower17 on Aug 27 2013 12:38:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  4:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I am back again to read, Judy I feel the same as Sharon," Little house on the Prairie!"

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  5:05:42 PM  Show Profile

There is nothing like Fall on the farm...love you girls so much!

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  08:50:06 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE these boots!

http://www.zappos.com/frye-veronica-slouch-dark-brown-calf-shine-vintage-leather?zfcTest=fcl%3A3

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  05:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh! I love "Little House on the Prairie!" Sharon is so right, Judy! Your words do take me back to that wonderful show! You know, when we were kids, we'd pretend the picnic table was our covered wagon. We'd pack all our "necessities" underneath and pretend our dad's old belts were the reins... I love that show so much that my grandma sewed me a red bonnet just like Mary and Laura's! I would wear it every time the show came on! LOL! Grandmas... What would kids do without them?!

Liz - those are awesome! SO pretty!

Winnie & Sharon... I can't remember what show I happened to catch the other day, but now they're mixing summer and fall clothes - including whites! - to make the seasonal transition. A little weird, but done right, the look was actually pretty fresh! I'm not so sure the look is for me because I like to dress for the seasons. But when you think about it, there really is always a transition (well, ALMOST always... Here in southwestern PA it seems we went from summer to pseudo fall at the beginning of August!). Transitional dressing - combining styles from the two seasons - actually makes sense. I just think you have to be extremely creative to pull it off! :)

Connie - that picture is breathtaking! I want to jump in and ride my bike, too!

Sharon! LOVE those boots, too!

I have this hat to keep my head toasty in the chilly fall weather:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/151354330/autumn-colors-ginger-pumpkin-crochet?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=ginger+pumpkin+hat&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

Ruthie, a.k.a. Violetrose, sent me the link when she saw the ginger pumpkin name and colors - I just had to have it! I am SUCH a hat person, although I have only a few. (I only have one had, after all! LOL!) I highly recommend this girl and her work. She is in Israel and these are made to order, so it takes a little longer to get here, but they are so well made, so warm and so funky that they are definitely worth the wait! I also ordered one in dark charcoal gray with rich burgundy roses to wear during the winter. There is an elderly lady at my church who wears beautiful, tasteful hats all the time. When she saw my gray hat, her eyes lit up and she kept saying how adorable and perfect it was. What a huge compliment from such a stylish lady! Still makes me smile to think about it to this day!

I also have this hat from Victorian Trading Co... It's my favorite! The flowers are removable, so I can change the flowers to suit my fall colors as well!

http://www.victoriantradingco.com/item/25-ht-255674/103108/devon-violets-hat

And here are a few others I've been eyeing for a while:

http://www.victoriantradingco.com/item/25-ht-250037/103108/jane-austen-hat-brown
http://www.victoriantradingco.com/item/25-ht-250152/103108/jane-eyre-hat-charcoal
http://www.victoriantradingco.com/item/25-ht-2520100/103108/packable-portwine-velvet-hat
http://www.victoriantradingco.com/item/25-ht-2518365/103108/silk-roses-velvet-hat
http://www.victoriantradingco.com/item/25-ht-2517968/103108/crushable-velvet-merlot-hat

Do any of you have any cool hats you'd like to share?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 31 2013 4:45:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  06:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Here's another one of my favorite websites... Not solely an autumn thing, but there's something about Silver Spoon jewelry that just adds the right bling to autumn...

http://silverspoonjewelry.com/

I just love their watches... and I have been eyeing that bird necklace of theirs for years!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Nini, that is such a cute story you shared. I love the reigns :)

It is a good thing that we don't live near each other because then we could not post on 'How I saved money today? I can see from your links that we have very similar taste. I love Victorian Trading Company and am itching for one of those hats! I also love the one that you have from etsy :)

And the spoon jewelry, I had seen that advertised a few years ago in a Victoria magazine I think. I want Michael to make me the heart pendant because I love hearts :)

Thanks for sharing!!!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  1:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Sharon - I think that the girl from Etsy actually sells patterns for those hats, too. I forgot to mention it. Sorry about that! If you're a knitter (or crocheter?), you'd be in business! :)

Oh! How awesome would that be if Michael made you one! I bet my hubby could do that, too... Hmmm... Our 25th is next Wednesday... Maybe I should put in a few hints! ;)

We definitely would have fun, wouldn't we? :) Makes me grin just to think about it!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  3:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I love all those links you posted for the hats! I love that store too! When the catalog comes in the mail, I search every inch of every page! it just makes me feel all warm and cozy!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  4:47:26 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean, Connie! Sometimes I'd just like to crawl into that catalog and live there! LOL!!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  6:39:57 PM  Show Profile
Me too! I have even saved so many catalogs because I use them for craft ideas , wish lists, or just because they are pretty :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5078 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5078 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  7:02:57 PM  Show Profile
They are great for decoupage'! I did a lot of that in the 70's! Starting out we didn't have much furniture so I decoupaged' a bookcase I found on the side of the road! LOL! I use them for ATC's and Wooden boxes. Those pages are great for Valentine's boxes!

Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  7:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Me, too, Sharon! Me, too! I get lot of crafting inspiration from their catalog!!!

Connie - My grandfather was the king of decoupage! SO much fun!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  4:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Love those hats Nini! I don't have a hat head unfortunately.

Love spoon jewelry. That bird necklace is awesome. I saw a necklace called Louise which was my mom's name. Really pretty. I'm thinking on it.

I just love all the colors that autumn brings and the outdoor smells. Love the time of year when you are outside and you don't notice you felt chilly until you step into the warmth of home. It feels so good!

Love all the foods that come with Autumn, my waistline doesn't but I do. LOL

I remember the first day of school and how excited everyone was and they all had new things. By the second month all that was forgotten in the upper grades.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  4:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Aw,lost my post. Such pretty jewelry Nini. They have a necklace named Louise that I am thinking on. That was my mom's name and the necklace is so pretty. Love spoon jewelry!
I do not have a hat head so I don't do hats well. I do have to wear one in winter though because my ears freeze. LOL!

School was so exciting the first day with everyone wearing new things, which by the way were old news by the second month of school. Love this thread!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  5:43:53 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Happens to me all the time, Denise... Usually I go to edit and end up deleting the whole darn thing instead. What a pain! LOL!

Just wanted to let you all know that if you like that Silver Spoon Jewelry, they're having a 10% off plus free shipping sale this weekend only. You just need to enter the code: 10percentnow at the checkout. :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  08:31:01 AM  Show Profile
Well, in honor of launching the fall season, here is one of my favorite fall outfits. The skirt is a brown linen with pockets and has such a great feel. It is made by our farm girl accordion tokellie from her Etsy shop. There are so many ways to style this great basic skirt and I just love it!

Kellie currently has this same skirt in a lovely fern green in her Etsy shop that would be a prefect base for lots of plaids and fall tees!

Check it out at www.kelliefalconer.com

Winnie #3109

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, very cute!

Kellie does beautiful work!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Farmgirl Fashions~*~ Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page