Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  11:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Cristine- I love your baby-blue cabinets! They look very crisp and fresh. It's a very happy looking kitchen.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  11:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Ill post a picture of mine later after I clean it up a bit. I have not been feeling well, and as such the kitchen is the first to go since NO ONE ELSE can seem to take care of doing the dishes....oy.

Jenny and Cristine your kitchens are ADORABLE! Cristine, your kitchen reminds me of the one in my parent's house, the house I grew up in. The only thing different is that where your stove is, is a little alcove where the washer and dryer and hot water heater and a few cabinets are and then it opens up opposite the sink into the rest of the house. The wall where yours opens up there adjacent to the wall of cupboards is their front porch.
Very cute.
Jenny, I LOVE that white cupboard on your countertop....and all the John Deer stuff, my sister in law would LOVE that! She collects John Deer stuff.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  12:50:33 PM  Show Profile
I don't photograph anything, let alone do computer pictures, but will try to describe my kitchens. There is the 1976 kitchen, which we still are "in", and the basics for a new kitchen down a hall, which has a refrigerator... and bookshelves which are packed with books, as well as a big desk where an island will one day be. Talk about convoluted. Both kitchens have oak floors. The new one has a good epoxy resin finish. The old one peeled up immediately during the week we moved in in 1976...the varnish layers didn't work together. Old Kitchen: Has oak with dark stain cabinets, oak counters (epoxy resin), an island with maple butcher block (no finish) on top, and my dishwasher in it. Last year my original oven died, and we got a double convection oven which will hopefully be my last oven. The range and harvest gold refrigerator are original... and I love the refrigerator other than the color--they were made better back then, I believe. The room is dark, has one window, and although the backsplash is white tile, everything else is dark. New kitchen: Cream wooden walls and three french windows--made by husband in cherry with muntins (he made I believe, 14 of them... and this is why we work sloooooowly. They are beautiful, however.) There is room for only one upper cabinet. He has bought the wood for cherry cabinets, also granite which will make counters in different heights. The old island top will go into the new kitchen so I have a wood work area in the center. There's an area for eating which we now use, and down the hall a bit a walk-in pantry.
Note: The newest project is a library, which opens off the kitchen. It needs to be finished in order to get all the books out of the new kitchen.

"The process IS the end..."
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Cristine, I think your kitchen is really cute. And Jenny, knowing how you loved your grandmother, it makes me smile to see your kitchen... I think I see some things of hers you showed somewhere--maybe your blog. Anyway, it's so cheery! Cristine, your kitchen reminds me of my Aunt's, who was a very good cook. In her older house in town, the expectation was that "help" would do all the cooking, and they didn't rate much convenience. My aunt made very good use of hers, and also had a small pantry and breakfast nook... a bit like your house. It all had a lot of charm!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  1:41:46 PM  Show Profile
Today I started painting the trim in the kitchen a rich yellow to go with the lemon chiffon walls. Cabinets are staying blue, and I also painted the sunroom walls the same rich yellow. It looks awesome. I thankfully got new appliances for our anniversay which was a glass top stove and the side by side fridge. The ones that were there were probably from the 70s, but all the cabinetry and whatnot is original(except color) from 1956. That's when the house is built. I would love to replace the nasty single adhesive tiles,the ones you peel the paper off the back of, but they will do for now. I want to get some linoleum with a river rock pattern. That will match the hearth for the woodstove DH made.Hmmm..Maybe we should feature woodstoves or livingrooms next month????
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  2:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, your kitchen is so cute!!! I'm rather ashamed of my kitchen, other than I'm very picky about keeping it clean! We live in a basic ranch that was used for a rental until we bought it 20 years ago. Cabinets only on 1 side of the kitchen. We hired out to have the kitchen redone and did the woodwork and trim ourselves. Its not "bad" but is sort of BORING. The whole house is a creamy color with dark woodwork. I've never gotten around to decorating it. I really like Scandinavian country, you know, like in Carl Larsson prints, so I'm hoping to get around to that. Poor DH worked so hard staining the woodwork I haven't the heart to paint it, so I will be living with the dark wood. I hope to find a rack to hang my mother's 1932 rolling pin on and a way to display things in an eat in kitchen that has no room for a hutch. Hmmmm....we'll have to ponder that one. I'm thinking high plate shelves or something I can put things on.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Cristine, your yellow and blue sounds really pretty.... and did your DH make your woodstove? Mine made ours--it's a top loader. He's planning our "next" stove, now--a way to use less floor space in the living room. Our lists are way too long to ever accomplish.

I was surprised your house is a 1956 vintage. I was comparing it to a 1920s home (which I loved dearly).

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  8:06:33 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen I believe was an after thought. Our house was built in 1912 - the area where my kitchen is now was once a porch and at some time right after the house was built was enclosed and made into a kitchen and another porch was attached on the back of that. The floor slopes - just like a porch so that the water runs away from the house. The ceiling is some type of false paper type ceiling so it is lower then the rest of the ceilings in the house which are around 9 1/2' high. The cabinets were put in around the 50's, none of the doors shut properly, because nothing is level. No counter space, no cupboard space and it is just down right ugly. Yes we have painted, we have scrubbed, etc. It just needs to be torn down. We can't remodel because this section of the house (since it was a porch) has no foundation and is on posts and since it is slanted every which way, can't be straightened out, etc. Our plan is to rip this terrible one story addition off of the back of the house and rebuild. That is probably a good 5 years down the road - so for now I live with the ugly kitchen. Too embarassing to even post a photo.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Edited by - asnedecor on Oct 26 2006 8:07:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  8:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message

here are pics of my kitchen. it is in major need of renovation, but we are all afraid to do anything about it, like an old sweater that you pull on the thread and the whole thing falls apart. the ceiling is very weird cause it had two different treatments, that is becaused my house is really 2 itenerant farm worker houses that were joined together in the 30's or 40's.
the whole house is very primitive and rustic, very small but i have grown to love it and would not know how to live any other way. i was by myself when i moved here and it was what i could afford, now it is my castle.
the kitchen does not have any oven anymore, which makes for interesting thanksgivings, but i am still trying to make up my mind what kind of stove i want. it is very hard to replace a chambers stove, and i cant really afford one now and i couldnt expect dh to move it in if i could find one.
anywho, this is what my kitchen looks like and i hope the food taste better than my kitchen looks, but it is my home sweet home.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  9:33:26 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE it!! Really cozy and cute!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  10:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, your kitchen is so cute and cottage-y and cozy. I love it....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  10:35:26 PM  Show Profile
What fun to see everyone's kitchens! Aunt Jenny, your kitchen is like my kitchen's alter ego! You know when you are torn between two styles? Well...I chose primitive-but cottage is my next best favorite thing! Of course Frannie, I would LOVE to get loose in your kitchen late at night, dressed in black, with a sack slung over my shoulder. Cristine, that baby blue has me all dreamy-just thinking of wonderful things I would do with it! And frannie (#2) I can't see the pictures of your kitchen at all...

My own kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! LOL OK, OK, I can only say this after living in an old farmhouse for many years where the cabinets were mismatched, the floor was horrible and the oven door was held closed by bailing wire! But, I was happy as a clam there & learned to cook in that 30 year old oven! When I moved, a neighbor who liked my cooking remarked, "Just think what she will be able to do in a REAL kitchen!"
We built a lovely home (a dream house to me!) about ten years ago. The kitchen is large and open with lots of windows and great views of the farmland around us. Two living areas open off the kitchen which has a large island in the center so the cook can visit with everyone in all the rooms! The cabinets are hard rock maple-a lovely honey color, with simple white ceramic knobs & light countertops. There's a big oak farm table, a hoosier cupboard and a collection of blue & grey salt glazed pottery. The floor is a lovely dark green slate. The one really neat thing I "had to have" in this house was a wonderful primitive fixture above the dining table. The grungy turned wood center & rusty arms have brought many funny comments-mostly from men who just don't "get it"! My Dad's comment "I hope you didn't pay for that"! LOL Not as many "prizes" around as Frannie's cabin, but I do LOVES my primitive goodies! Dusting? Not so much. The BEST part of my kitchen? IT HAS A DISHWASHER! I feel SO blessed to have such a great space to cook & entertain in these days!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda, your kitchen sounds wonderful. I long for the day we have a table IN the kitchen for eating-- those barstools at the island are just not comfortable any more. Fran, you also have the table! And, darn, I was admiring your oven. I'm so sorry it no longer is usable. (maybe not even there?) But your kitchen IS cute! Kitchen and laundry room are the heart of my house....sure spend a lot of time in them! I think we're all blessed to have good kitchens-- Anne in Portland, have you begun your design process? We need about 5 years of thinking and drawing before doing anything, as whatever we do is for keeps at this point. I am thinking you're probably a very fine cook with your porch kitchen.
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:09:27 PM  Show Profile
I just love seeing everyones kitchens, they all are so cozy, just like a kitchen should be. I'll try to post a pic of mine, I havne't used photobucket in awhile so this should be fun! Good thread and neat ideas to copy!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:18:02 PM  Show Profile
ONE of these days I will have to learn to post pictures, but it sure is fun to see all of you guys pictures, that doesn't sound right does it? Well anyway, I love looking.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:32:44 PM  Show Profile

Ok, let's see if I did this right? Had to go back and re-learn how! Keeping my fingers crossed. If it posts, this is my kitchen and dining room combo. I re-did it a few months ago, can you believe that's old barn wood wallpaper! I feel in love with it and had to touch it in the store to make sure if it was real or not!

Visit me at my blogs:
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I did it, yippie!!

Visit me at my blogs:
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  12:41:17 PM  Show Profile

What do you do with a old tile ceiling made of chipboard? I painted ours like a checker board in a matching green. My kitchen is small but cozy and that's what it's all about!

Visit me at my blogs:
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  1:39:12 PM  Show Profile
WOW. What a cute kitchen.... and a very tidy farmgirl! I think your ceiling turned out really well!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  08:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
sue,
i love your kitchen, very cozy and warm,great job on the redo.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  09:20:43 AM  Show Profile
Sue -

Love your kitchen - looks like you collect tins. I do to! I have some old and then reproduction ones. My favorite is a girl with a glass of milk and it says "I must have an Oreo Cookie for desert", it is a little square blue tin. I also like your rooster towl holder above the sink, that is too cool.

Some day I will have a new kitchen. If our back addition (where our kitchen is) was built like the main part of the house - on a good foundation etc. We would have re-done it a long time ago. But since it is a structural thing and we have to rip the whole addition off, I just live with the kitchen I have for now. The cupboards aren't even cute, so painting them didn't even make it nicer, just cleaner. Oh well - I still can put out a good dinner for 12 from this kitchen, so I keep thinking when I have a newer kitchen just think of the stuff I can do

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  10:40:06 AM  Show Profile
what a country kitchen! I love it. Since I've been painting, and cleaning out cabinets, I'm going to paint the inside of the cabinets the nice creamy trim yellow and brighten them up a bit. When we moved here, everything, from floor to ceiling was the same color, trim, ceiling, walls, doors, semigloss harvest wheat. BORING. Since we have a painting business, I never felt much like painting at home at the end of the day, but since I've been home a lot more, I'm going crazy!! I'll have to post before and after pics of the inside of the cabinets.
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  11:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Well, I love your country kitchens! My 1964 house got a kitchen uplift, with walls knocked down, etc..... I designed this tile motif to bring in the alaskan outdoor. This is the fanciest kitchen I've ever had, but I do love it. I spend alot of hours with my husband cooking and talking..........

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile
I love the pictures of everyone's kitchens. Warm and inviting!! Maybe when mine gets clean again, I will post some pics. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile
That tile is to die for Jo!! wow!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's your kitchen look like??? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page