Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic vegetarian crock pot??? Next Topic  

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i just read through the whole crock pot thread hoping to find at least one vegetarian recipe, but alas.. there were none...
how about it girls? does anyone have any good vegetarian crock pot favorites?

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  07:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Alison, I have several crockpot recipe books, I'll hunt through this weekend and get back to you. My first thoughts are, of course, meatless soups and stews...do you consume any seafood or eggs?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  08:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
eggs yes, seafood no.
thanks!!!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  6:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Alison
I have had the same problem.. I purchased a vegetarian crock pot cookbook by Robin Robertson online a few years back. I have used just a few recipes& they were tasty tofu mainly
I will post one as soon as I find the book!
;-)
Laura
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  7:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Alison,
Do you use boullion cubes for flavor or are they offlimits too? I am not a vegetarian, but I know there are certain personal choices you have to make on what you can and can not eat. Aren't there different types of vegetarian? I have all different ideas for you. I wonder if there is a crockpot recipe for hot and sour soup. I'm going to look, if I can't find one I will create one.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Have you read the book One-Pot Vegetarian Dishes by Amy Cotler (1996)? Try requesting it at your local library through the interlibrary loan system. Lots of really interesting recipes, some of my favorites. Quick, easy, yummy.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  5:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the ideas... i will request that book from my library right away...
aimee, i use vegetable boullion, but not chicken or beef. there are different kinds of vegi-folks... vegan is the most strict... no animal products whatsoever... including eggs, milk, cheese, etc. alot of vegans also avoid leather, down, silk, etc. typically, when someone says they're vegetarian, they "do not eat anything with a face". which means no pork,beef, chicken, fish, lamb, etc... but a vegetarian will usually consume eggs and other dairy products that come from animal sources, but do not require the death of said animal. still others consider themselves pesca-vegetarian (i think thats right).. that would be what i just described plus they eat seafood.
as a rule, i do not eat land animals... i'm not a big seafood lover, but will occasionally have some fish (very rarely) if it is wild caught, not farm raised. i mainly drink soy milk, because i have some issues with the dairy industry... and i love tofu and want to learn more ways to prepare it.
we used to have a chinese restaurant that had the best vegetarian hot & sour soup, but they closed so i would LOVE a good vegetarian hot & sour soup!!! i'll be waiting!
thanks again everyone... keep em coming if you come across any great ones!

Alison
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  9:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Alison. I just had a great vegetarian dish the other day that wasn't cooked in a crock pot, but could have been. It was a ratatouille, with zucchini, eggplant, green peppers, tomatoes and onions -all chopped up and simmered for 3-4 hours on the stovetop. You could easily put this in a crock pot. You could also add garlic and any herbs that you like that you think would taste good. When I cook in the crock pot, I basically just put my stew, soup, chili, etc. recipe that I normally cook on the stove in the crock and let it go. Have fun experimenting! You could also google vegetarian hot & sour soup and that should get you some ideas.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic vegetarian crock pot??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page