MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  12:18:07 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen has a very small amount of space for storage, and I have a small pantry that I have to rearrange to suit my ever changing desires for organization. Could we post a pic of our kitchens? Share some decorating and storage ideas!

Yesterday is already a dream and tomorrow is only a vision, but today well-lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:32:41 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen is also small, as my whole house is small, but I do have room for my 60 strawberry cookie jars. I have open shelves, an island, counter tops with white tiles/some scattered strawberry tiles, a large country kitchen sink, and a pantry with shelves all around! I just love my little house!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Gloria..I would LOVE to see a picture of your house..it sounds adorable!!!
My kitchen is small..no dining room so the table is in the middle of the room. Lots of counter space for a kitchen that small. Our house is very very old and work in progress..here is one picture...
and another:

and another two:

I have changed a few things around since these were taken, but not too much.My kitchen is my favorite place.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Oct 24 2006 3:56:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  4:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Too cute!

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  4:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jenny, your kitchen is adorable. I have a very open house, but with that open, and shelves, it collects lot's of dust! If I knew how to operate my digital camera I would try and post. I'm not camera or computer literate!!!

maybe one day, but love, hugs and strawberries to you, gloria g. :>)

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  5:33:02 PM  Show Profile
We bought a 1904 Sears craftsman house with all the original cabinetry. It was neat, but it wouldn't fit a dinner plate! And it had been very ill-cared for. So we blew our remodeling budget on the kitchen. Now I could live in there!

Our kitchen is 12ft x 14ft with 27 linear feet of counter space. Since we keep kosher we have seperate "sides" of the kitchen for meat and dairy - so we put in two sinks and a double oven and dishwasher (from Fisher & Paykel, it's their dual drawer model). I have a gas range and a refrigerator with a bottom drawer freezer (we have a stand-alone freezer in the basement for storage).

Since we have 10 ft. ceilings, our upper cabinetry extends to 96 inches, and is dark cherry. The floor is black and white ceramic tile, and the countertops are a green leaf pattern.

If it sounds like I'm boasting, I definitely am! I loooooooooove the kitchen, and when I get stressed out about our unfinished electrical projects or the fallen down ceiling tiles in the basement or the kids eating the dirt that collects between the walls and the floor because we have no lower molding, I go there and de-stress. It was worth the splurge. And a big thanks to my husband (the best in the world) for understanding that it was our highest priority.

:)

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful! And how lucky you are to have a husband who realizes that the kitchen NEEDS to be the top priority! I begged for three years just to get the silly formica replaced in my kitchen..haha. He is tons of help and great at anything..just has a different order of priority for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  7:58:23 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen is an absolute mess right now. We are tearing up the badly installed vinyl flooring and having it done right. The problem that we're having right now is pulling up the last layer of vinyl. It is realllllllllllly glued down good! Any ideas on how to take up a vinyl floor glued to the sub-floor? Everything so far is coming up in little bits and pieces and it looks like an explosion in the kitchen.

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile
that old vinyl is the pits, literally..
we had to do that to our kitchen and bathrooms several years ago..vinyl from the 70's in the house..that icky golden yellow colored stuff..what we did was have to take a box cutter and cut the vinyl into sections and start peeling it up..
then..make sure things were well ventilated..we used rubbing alcohol poured onto the paper backing that would stick to the floor, let it set for a few minutes to soak through.. and had to use metal putty knives to scrape up the gunk...I guess you could use a bit of water to help loosen the paper instead...but it certainly was a chore.There may be less harmful product out there that will cut the adhesive..but we found that the alcohol worked..just make sure it is very well ventilated.
We now have slate look tiles through the whole house...best thing we did..much easier to keep clean.

As for my kitchen..
I have alot of cabinets and 2 pantries..but I'm looking to redo my kitchen..the cabinets are a dark wood with brass handles..remember..think 70's.. although I have painted the walls a creamy yellow color and have a birdhouse border around the top of the cabinets and antique mini bird plates and a Marjolien Bastin lamp on the counter...the cabinets are all slated to be painted a country creamy white with pewter knobs and handles.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  8:17:48 PM  Show Profile
by the way Jenny, your kitchen is adorable..love the tractor seat stool!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  9:36:58 PM  Show Profile
My second son made that one for me!
Hey Tina doglady...one house I lived in years ago I had to use a blowtorch to loosen up sections of the vinyl flooring that was glued like that to loosen it..what a mess. I hate that job. I hope yours goes easily!
Tina Michelle..2 pantries!! I am jealous!! How neat!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  9:38:05 PM  Show Profile
with all my collections . some might describe my kitchen as 'log cabin sanford and sons'! i posted a few pics a couple days ago .. i think .. oh shoot! i don't remember where .. something to do with 'what's inside your cupboard doors'? xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:18:27 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies the good news is that my kitchen floor area is no bigger than a small bathroom because the kitchen opens out into the living and dining area. The kitchen looks bigger because of this but the floor is pretty small. I'll try the box cutter technique. I just didnt' want to put more vinyl on top of two layers of old vinyl and that's what started all of this. The guy who installed the last layer of vinyl we think might have been drinking (he has a drinking problem) when he did it because he glued the board down, nailed it down, screwed it down, and on top of all that, glued the vinyl down too!! All on top of the original vinyl. It sure wasn't going anywhere! So we are down to the original vinyl right now. What a mess. We're taking turns (well, my young men are because I just had knee surgery and I'm not going to risk messing it up) Thanks for the suggestions.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  07:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Jenny - you're kitchen is soooo cuuute! And Frannie - I saw your pics the other day! You're kitchens look like the ones I drool over in magazines! That colorful, kitschy, wonderful cheery vintage look is where I want to be....someday I'm going to get there, too. Thanks for sharing those photos!!!!!!!!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  08:02:12 AM  Show Profile
janice .. i have a friend whose kitchen is wonderfully 1950's KITSCHY .. it was featured in a 'Cottage' magazine awhile back .. see if you can find some of those mags to drool over.

funny, cuz i do like some fun 'color' in my kitchen .. even though some of my more 'puritan' friends say the cabins cry out for 'simple and quiet colors'. i do try that from time to time .. but end up putting my reds, yellows and bright greens right back in there! makes me happy .. and that's what counts when decorating our homes!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Frannie - I have drooled over many a Cottage magazine. I buy waaaaaay too many magazines! LOL I especially love 'free form' self expressive kitchens like yours and Jenny's. I call it 'Kitchen as Art' - your creative selves just paint across that kitchen canvas and the result is as much a feast as 'what's cookin' in there. :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  09:38:08 AM  Show Profile
I just finished repainting my kitchen a few months ago, so right now it has the look of an old photograph. The walls are a very creamy white and the shelves are the color of Mason-Cash pottery ( sort of a coffee with cream kind of color.) I have open shelving, so plates and bowls are out for all to see. I kept all of my Mason-Cash mixing bowls and Suffolk crocks to keep the look consistent, and put the rest in my yard sale. I have vintage cooking tools out on display along with a wire egg basket. My island is an old enamel topped cupboard with 2 drawers and a door. It is painted a deeper brown color than the shelves. It is a very calm, quiet kitchen now. I love cooking in there!! It looks best with racks of cookies cooling on the counter top. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:38:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Karin..sounds so nice! Sounds like a calm nice feel to it..I love that!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Jenny--
Can I ask you about your cabinets? It appears that they have a decorative film on the glass--was this original to them or did you do it yourself? I've seen something similar in a home store around here, and in the historic neighborhood down the street, someone just did the transom over their door with what appears to look like stained glass, but is actually a decal or film of some sort. My kitchen dates from the 40's, and has painted pine cabinets. I would like to hire a carpenter to "cut out" the middle of them and replace it with either decorative glass, or glass and then decal. I really love the look, and I have a small kitche, so I think it would open it up more, giving the illusion of more space.

Aside from my cabinets, my kitchen looks very much like yours, Jenny! I love all of the kitschy containers and metal ware picnic baskets--I have much of the same, but more red accents, and roosters!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Jonni..I am not too excited about my cabinet doors up close..on the inside it is plastic "lace" that is sort of glued on. It is okay for now..but I plan to have them frosted or etched or something. I have an idea in a book in mind and will get it done some day. In the meantime..the people before us did this. I love having the glass..but yikes..I would hate to have mine all open..not as neat as they could be.
How fun that we have twin kitchens!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny--
I see....I'm sure the folks before you thought they were "happenin"--on well, I guess we all live with something in our fixer uppers. My kitchen issue is the lovely WHITE and baby blue linoleum tile squares that they so conveniently also used in the bathroom....With four dogs, you can imagine how much I curse the previous owners!!!
I was thinking with my cabinets, if I can get them cut out, I'd like to use that wavy glass, it adds light but "hides" things rather nicely--it's somewhat modern, but I bet I could get away with it. There are just so many options, though. We have a glass store down the street, and I just never knew how many colors and designs there were available. A friend just redid her glass panel lights around her door in all pinks and berry colored glass, some clear, some patterned--even an etched polka dot. It makes her living room look dreamy, and she did it all herself!
It was very cool to see that we have a lot of similar things in our kitchens. If I can ever get my camera working, I'll send you a photo or two. Maybe I'll wait until after I get my hoosier cabinet from storage--I haven't had space while we were remodelling the other rooms, but soon, soon!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  7:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
Your Kitchen is so cute and at home .. Love your Kitchen Aid mixer as much as I love mine?
Baskets of Blessings . Stefanie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  8:11:59 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't live without that kitchen aid (well, could..but life wouldn't be the same..haha)
I have had it since 1987!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  9:54:02 PM  Show Profile
Here is my kitchen. All the cabinets you see is all I got. I have a small pantry also, so the cabinets are for dished and cooking stuff, and the pantry is for food. I have a hige sun room that doesn't have much in it right now because I'm at a loss for what to do with it. I really wasn't a big fan of the baby blue cabinets until the last few days I've been cleaning out, and realized that they work fine for what I have. I think I'm going to stencil something below or around the handles.

And to think I was the one who started this thread :
Yesterday is already a dream and tomorrow is only a vision, but today well-lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope

Edited by - MsCwick on Oct 25 2006 9:56:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:20:26 PM  Show Profile
I love the scalloped edge over the window..I think your kitchen is cute!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  08:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Well thanks Jenny!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's your kitchen look like??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page