carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Today while waiting to see the chiropractor, I whipped out my easy, dish cloth project. The lady sitting next to me commented immediately as did the young man two chairs down. He told me his grandmother had taught him to crochet as a child. Another man remarked that people are rarely seen crocheting anymore. I offered to teach all three--I'm trying to earn all three levels of the crochet badge--but no takers. When school starts in August, I may add learning to crochet as a requirement for passing senior English. Oh, how desperate we become when we really, really want something.javascript:insertsmilie('')

Blessings,

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Sow what you want to reap.

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  12:51:37 PM  Show Profile
What fun for you... to stir up happy memories at the chiropractor's office! One of these days I really MUST learn to crochet!!

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  12:57:34 PM  Show Profile
It is fun having a project going in a public place because it often prompts a fun conversation. I was trying to finish an email project and met some interesting people both on a bus and in a doctor's waiting room.
Another time on a bus, I sat one seat back from a rather grungy, skate-boarder dressed, teenager. It was so much fun visiting about his knitting!
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  11:31:46 PM  Show Profile
The gals at my local yarn shop celebrated "International Knit in Public Day" by going around to various spots in town and, well, knitting in public. Crocheting too, of course. It was astonishing how many total strangers of all ages, male & female, to tell stories of how knitting and crocheting had touched their lives. Some remembered a departed relative who use to make things for them. Others remembered how much they used to enjoy knitting or crocheting and that they missed it. Most amazingly, though, was the great percentage of all these total strangers were teenagers. It's the new cool thing, apparently. They all want to learn, but the knowledge kind of skipped a generation for them, so they're looking to be adopted by "aunties" who can teach them how to get started. Such fun!
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  07:35:52 AM  Show Profile
I always feel very self-conscious about crocheting or stitching in public for some reason. I think it is great that you all are spreading good feelings and happy memories when you do!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  12:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Paula,

I am learning to live "ish." Truly, I am a recovering perfectionist, who at one time would never have allowed herself to be seen doing anything less than perfectly. When I turned forty-five, I realized I had been missing out on many wonderful opportunities because of fear of looking foolish. Now, I have adopted an attitude of "holy uncaring." As long as my behavior or speech is not offensive to those nearby or will not have eternal consequences, I go for it.

The "ish" idea comes from a child's book by that title. The premise is to do what we love without having to be perfect or having to meet the standards of others. What freedom!

I love Mara's report about knitting in public, and the response her group received. Sign me up to be an "auntie"!

Grab those hooks and needles and get going.

Just one more stitch,

Carol

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  5:26:54 PM  Show Profile
I used to be shy too. But for some reason unbeknownst to me I recently decided to work on a small tatting project while I was waiting for my mom to have cataract surgery. There were alot of folks in the waiting area - men and women, young and old - that were interested and came up to watch, ask what I was doing, or tell stories about their tatting, knitting, crocheting or needlework experiences. One lady had been wanting to teach her grand daughter but couldn't remember how to start the stitches on the needle. So I spent five minutes giving her a refresher and that really made her day and mine! The next week I went back again while mom had her second eye done. One of the ladies who works in the clinic came out during her break with a needle and a spool of thread and begged for a lesson too. I had no idea that the power of handcrafts would mesmerize a room full of people on the 21st floor of a highrise tower. From now on I won't be shy about working on projects in public spaces because it truly adds to the joy of the experience.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  06:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn,

I love that story. In a world full of smart phones that seem to keep us isolated from those in physical proximity to us, it seems that needle crafts are opening up lines of communication with those same people. Could thread be a metaphor for the "tie that binds"? :)

Carol

Edited by - carolj on Jul 01 2013 06:58:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  12:08:37 PM  Show Profile
I think the requirement for Senior English would be great. They need to know how to follow directions don't they? Surely it could fall under higher level thinking somewhere.

~Cathy~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2013 :  2:29:17 PM  Show Profile
In a town near here there is a college that has a graduation requirement of "teaching someone something". I met a lady who has worked as an advisor for the project. The "kids" have to figure out the "what and who", some need quite a bit of guidance. Teaching something puts you in a different mind set. Some of us do it every day, for others its almost a foreign concept.
Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  11:06:58 AM  Show Profile
Cathy and Cindy Lou, you have given me courage and more ideas. Working in a private school, I am charged with the task of adding new requirements and rigor to our curriculum. One of the things considered is a senior portfolio. Teaching someone something would be a great thing to add to that.

Keep stitching,

Carol

Farmgirl 1823

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  11:44:20 AM  Show Profile
I take mine crocheting with me. It helps me burn time and I'm not really a "talk to strangers" type of person so it keeps having to down to a minimum. LOL! Though I dont mind talking about the crocheting. heehee

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

cozie lady
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Mt Pleasant MI
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  09:27:57 AM  Show Profile
I always have a yarn bag packed and ready to go. I sometimes crochet at my desk during lunch. It is a nice break from work gets me geared up for the second half of the work day.

amy r
sister #4186
Go to Top of Page

Carol Jean
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Carol
Parkersburg WV
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  6:07:23 PM  Show Profile
I've been working up the courage to yarn bomb a tree trunk or something at the park for about a year now. Maybe this is the month....

~~~ It's never too late to live happily ever after ~~~
Go to Top of Page

cutie pie cottge
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Holly
Moscow ID
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile
I took my yo you kit to the drs. office the other day and the receptionist came to investigate!
I found out that she was a quilter and we had a happy little chat. It made my day.

http://holly-girlsatheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  07:17:17 AM  Show Profile
I had a wonderful conversation with a lady as we both waited for our husbands to have a procedure done in the cardiac unit at Mayo Clinic.
We were both waiting for our husbands to go through a procedure and when I saw her working on a quilt block it was a great opening for a conversation. It helped us pass the time and I learned a lot that I didn't know about quilting.
Susan

Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  08:34:07 AM  Show Profile
I wish one of you crafty ladies was closer. I am trying to learn to crochet. ( you tube video) and I would so sign up for instruction from someone who knows what to do! So in the meantime I take my cross stitch / embroidery with me where ever I go, every stitch done is one less for later. I try to keep something in the car in case I have a couple of minutes, I agree with Amy it helps to relax to have something to do with my hands.

Danyel

farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

HolidayJunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Northglenn Colorado
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2013 :  11:00:32 AM  Show Profile
We have a gentleman..yes a gentleman who comes to church and knits the whole time. He sits in sacrament and in bible study and has conversations, partipates, all while knitting away! Everyone was so taken back the first few weeks, but we're all getting use to it. I wonder just how many heads he turns a day!

Blog: http://confessionsofaholidayjunkie.blogspot.com/

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/holidayjunkie/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3947 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3947 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2013 :  07:06:39 AM  Show Profile
I teach 6 girls crochet in an after school program at the nearby grade school and I GET PAID! The girls are pretty excited and it is difficult to keep them on task but they are learning and they crochet outside of class. I have hope for them.

On Tuesday, they will be selecting a project to make. It will be a wash cloth because they have only learned the single stitch. I am hoping that some of these girls will sign up again so they may advance their skills.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2013 :  6:53:06 PM  Show Profile
My husband is a scientist at the national lab by us. He told me about one of the grad. students that was there this week doing an experiment. During this young man's break, he was busy knitting a sweater. My husband was quite impressed with the beautiful job the guy was doing on it. My husband said usually the grad. students are playing games or listening to music on their phones, it was nice to see someone doing something so creative.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4216 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4216 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  7:05:10 PM  Show Profile
I was waiting with my ma and sister, for my dads surgery to be over. My ma was knitting, and I was showing my sister how to get started. There was a gentleman next to use, busy knitting a shawl. He was great to talk to. He had 3 different project going in his bag, and laughed about his stash at home. I have been taking tatting with me at my husbands doctors appointments. People always ask what I am doing.

Michele

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3947 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3947 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile
On Sunday, I left the house to my husband and a potential band mate. I intentionally went to a donut shop to crochet. While I was walking toward the shop, I guy told me he knits at a coffee shop nearby on Sunday mornings and invited me there. A guy at the donut shop told me that his wife started a group and told me where they meet. Can't wait to get into contact with other yarn crafters of all types.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  05:00:25 AM  Show Profile
How impressive! And so many men getting into the action!

Blessings,

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3947 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3947 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  07:00:57 AM  Show Profile
I've had some boys at the grade school where I teach crochet ask me if they can take my class. I say, "Yeah, come along."

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  06:16:54 AM  Show Profile
I was crocheting in a doctor's office waiting room yesterday. This time I had a different experience--fellow crocheters checking out my work (a bit unnerving) and sharing their own projects. One lady and I discussed how best to clean vintage work. Her suggestion was lemon juice instead of hydrogen peroxide. I know NEVER to use bleach. She also talked about putting things out on fresh cut grass. Weigh in any time.

Blessings,

Carol
Farmgirl 1823

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3947 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3947 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  2:02:00 PM  Show Profile
I like to check out the work of others. I always ask first. I like to hear if they designed a pattern and how they went about it or why they choose the colors they did. At the doctor's office today a lady was crocheting her fourth 18" bunny rabbit doll for Christmas presents for her grandchildren of which she has 5.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Crocheting in public Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page