FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  1:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Don't worry - it's positive. A friend and I were chatting it up one day and I started talking about the Merit Badge program. She's not on the forum and hasn't been exposed to all the great folks on here.
She looked at me and said "I don't think I should have to earn a badge to prove that I am a farmgirl."
At first I didn't know what to say. I just stared at her. This was my reply. "It isn't about proving what you are or aren't. It's about being proud knowing that you accomplished something. It's about knowing you can still learn new skills. It's about showing yourself that you can grow something or sew something or help out someone in need. Doing these activities doesn't prove or disprove your farmgirl status - it serves as a reward for trying. It's fun. Earning badges isn't for everyone, but for those of us to want or need a little reinforcement - they are awesome! I have learned so much trying to earn different badges. No, you don't need a badge to prove your are a farmgirl, but having a few sewn on a jacket or bag could start a conversation with someone and that someone could be a new friend."
She just stared back and then changed the subject. While she is still my friend, I won't let her view taint mine. I enjoy the badges and am trying to figure out how I can earn all of them. I know I don't really need them, but in my busy somewhat chaotic life, it is something I can do for myself. They help serve as a reminder that, when my world seems to be falling apart, I can persevere and do what needs to be done.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  2:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Lora, you said it perfectly. I feel the same way. People I know think it is a silly thing, even childish, but to me it is accomplishment. Just like girl scouts for adults!!!!! Keep up the great work on earning your badges.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Very well said Lora, my biggest supporter of the badges is my husband, I've really not told anyone else. I'm just starting to get back into earning them and I'm very proud of the ones I have already. I feel since I miss out in being a girl scout/brownie as a young girl, I can be one now :)

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I've lived in an urban area most my life, but now I'm living in a rural area up on a ridge in the Ocooch Mountains in Southwest Wisconsin, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  09:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Bravo Lora!!! very well put into words! stand your ground and wear them proudly! sometimes we need that visible/tangible sense of accomplishment -too many women put themselves in the back seat of every vehicle!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Jun 06 2013 09:26:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  11:29:50 AM  Show Profile
I enjoyed earning badges as a Girl Scout and doing badges with Mary Jane is just as much fun. The badge challenges me to go out and learn and try new things. Having completed a few, each one was helpful and a great learning adventure!! Many of the topics are also great ways to help you get started on doing things differently in your life like organic cooking or gardening. The badge requirements are organized too help us build foundations to do more . Recently, I was thinking to myself that it is time to work on a new topic this summer. Maybe I will get around to embroidering my current badges and placing them on a tote or jacket. If some Farmgirls have never tried doing a badge, I highly recommend it. It is so much fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  1:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters, I enjoy the multilayers of MJF and having been in highly structured organizations in my younger years, I no longer have the desire to earn badges, but I do think they are wonderful springboards to discover new interests from. I like to dabble here and there and have learned many new things from it. I think MJF has a wonderful philosophy and it is that connection and an interest in agrarian life that brings us together as MJFarmgirls. Take what is good and a good fit for your place in life. It serves many women well to educate themselves on a new pursuit from the list of badges and it is fun for them to accomplish the levels of badge work. Truly inspiring and I am glad for them and honor their pursuits. Yet, I am filled with inspiration at just being a part of others who honor all that is good in Agrarian living, keeping it a part of our culture. I have learned from the wisdom of the sisterhood. I can vicariously live some of my farm dreams by reading your posts of farm animals, gardening, and other pursuits. Have fun with whatever level of participation fits your needs. Best to you! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

carolj
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Carol
Waynesboro Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  5:52:44 PM  Show Profile
As a high school English teacher on summer break, I need structure or the months pass by with nothing to show for them. I was kind of a Girl Scout drop out not into camping or "getting dirty," but MJF has changed that, plus I've reached the age where I am willing to try more things because I've learned I don't have to be perfect. I've made it my goal to earn at least one beginner's level badge in each category before returning to school. Lora said it best: "It's about showing yourself that you can grow something or sew something or help out someone in need." When you think of it that way, it makes earning badges not such a trivial thing and not self-centered. Thanks to all of you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2013 :  5:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Love your post! That's how I feel. I love the Merit Badges and am proud to earn them. They inspire me, get me "out of my box", and some of the activities have even been life changing. I work at my own pace, and they are just for me. :)

Farmgirl hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

HolidayJunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Northglenn Colorado
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  10:06:55 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a fabulous idea. You know, this is kinda off the subject, but kinda on at the same time. I also belong to a group called the Tiara Club here in town. My friend started it, because she is a cancer survivor and after loosing her best friend to cancer, she wanted to make sure that other women around her take enough time for themselves and enjoy the bond of other women. When we get together, we wear our Tiaras. We could be hiking with Tiara's or picking berries or going to a free festival somewhere. But when people ask us why we're wearing them, we tell them that everyone women deserves to feel like a princess. It's the same concept. In our busy lives, it's nice to stop and learn something new, and better yet, receive some recognition for it at the same time. We do so much for others, that even something small like a badge is a BIG deal. JUST BECAUSE!!!

Blog: http://confessionsofaholidayjunkie.blogspot.com/

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/holidayjunkie/

Edited by - HolidayJunkie on Jun 16 2013 10:11:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

771 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
771 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  12:29:20 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Lora...whole heartedly! When I was a Camp Fire Girl, I LOVED working on and checking off projects that I had completed in my CF book...and then earning the beads to sew on my "official Indian dress" :) I think it was a great idea to give girls of that age something to work on and it was a great confidence builder. I remember being at an awards night and seeing the older highschool girls with their dresses covered with the beads they had earned. It was really inspiring to a 12 year old girl! I don't think we should stop learning new things as we get older. I think working on these badges will be a LOT of fun! And I agree that it's good to try things that maybe we're not real familiar with...who knows? You could find a new passion in life!!!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  11:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie, Me too!! Camp Fire Girls was so cool. I went all the way through from Blue Birds to completing Horizons. I loved the "Indian Ceremonies Pow Wow" and wearing my Indian gown filled with my beads, patches and pins. I can still remember the beat of the drum and walking into the ceremony by candlelight. Too bad all of that is now considered politically incorrect to emulate an ethic group. But I found it inspiring and a connection to Mother Earth. Now I listen to Sacred Spirit CD's and can instantly be back at a ceremony. So sad however, after I moved away from home, my mom cleaned out the linen closet and gave away my ceremonial gown to Salvation Army! I have gone online and purchased a couple of pins for memory sake. WOHELO...work, health, love. Principles also found in MaryJanes Farmgirls. Best to you! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

771 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
771 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile
OH! Your mom gave your gown away??? That would be sad! Although, I don't know what happened with mine, now that I think about it! I'm excited to at working on these badges! I think in the everyday stuff it's nice to have something to do just for "you", that makes you feel good...something that stays "done"...something to channel your creative energies into...best to you, as well!
Go to Top of Page

BlackRabbit
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Tina
Dallas PA
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  11:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Send BlackRabbit a Yahoo! Message
I feel like earning the badges teaches you to push yourself to be a better person, its challenging and good for us.

live life with no regrets
www.etsy.com/shop/CongenialBlackRabbit
Farmgirl#4511
Go to Top of Page

teacups
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

terri
bryans road maryland
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  12:24:15 PM  Show Profile
When I showed my daughter my 1st one, she laughed. She told me I was a grown up girl scout. I didn't let it bother me. I told her she may think it's silly now, but I do remember quite well when she was earning her badges in girl scouts, and how proud she was of herself. That is how they make me feel. I worked for them, and it's nice to have something to show for my efforts. I like the challenge of trying to earn more. I love learning new things, and this gives me the opportunity to do that.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3102 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  5:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Lora! It's nice to hear other girls feel the same as I do. I definitely don't need a badge to feel like a farmgirl. I get up every morning at 6 am to milk 30 cows - can't get anymore farmgirl than that! The badges are a feeling of accomplishment and a source of motivation for me. I've gotten out my sewing machine again and picked up some colored pencils - things I haven't done in quite some time. People can think they're silly all they want, but I've seen much sillier things that are a lot less rewarding!!

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  10:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Great come back Lora! You know the old saying "never tell negative people positive things"? Some people when you share something wonderful with them will find a way to try to squash all the happiness right out of it. She sounds like someone who has difficulty finding the good in things. A true good friend would have said, "Wow how nice you've found something you enjoy", and let it go at that if they weren't interested instead of making a belligerent comment. Good for you on standing up to her bad attitude. As all the other gals said earning badges is fun. Too bad she's missing out.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ranerider
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Barb
Shell Lake WI
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  4:32:57 PM  Show Profile
I am brand new to mud sisterhood and the ideas of badges was inviting to me. I'm one who needs a purpose and I like to check things off a list. Can't wait to start my first one!
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2014 :  4:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Lora, I really like what you said. I was a Bluebird for a short time as a girl because where we moved there was not a local group. When my daughter was young I was her scout leader along with my mom as col-leader. We had some great times.I remember all the girls being so proud of their accomplishments.

Having a small farm already I like the challenge of learning more. Like Nicole said "It gets me out of my box" and it is fun!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

weavingthefuture
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

lissa
zelienople pennsylvania
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2014 :  6:00:01 PM  Show Profile
i love the idea of merit badges. i was a girl scout for about a bazillion years, even campus girl scouts while i was in college. recently, a friend and i were talking and i commented that i wished there was something like that for adults... there are lots of volunteer opportunities for adults in girl scouting, but nothing FOR adults, if that makes sense. i always loved the camping and earning badges. that was when she suggested that i look into the farmgirl sisterhood, and that she thought we should both become members. it only took me a short time of perusing the website and this forum to know that it was pretty much exactly what i was looking for. :-)

i especially like that i get to embroider my badges. :-)

sustainingmyspirit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2014 :  7:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Welcome! Lissa. Glad you found the Farmgirl Sisterhood!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  6:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just entered sixteen submissions for my badges today. I have done all of them, but I never had the time nor much inclination to enter them until today. I hope I don't blow up the merit badge system! I have been in the Sisterhood for several years and I have intended on requesting my badges, but never got around to it...until this icy afternoon.

I think it is fun, and I do tell people it's like Girl Scouts for 'big girls'. One of our Chapter members has been working on hers. She is definitely not the member I though who would go for something like this, so imagine our look of shock when she brought in a huge bag covered in her badges!!! lol

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  6:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, wow! Can't wait to see what all you have accomplished!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

teckelhut
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Sussie
Deschutes Junction Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  8:19:33 PM  Show Profile
I would like to earn some badges. But after reading the material, I am more confused about how to go about it than I was before I read it! LOL

Sussie of Teckelhut Acres
Heritage Chickens
Meat and Show Rabbits
Certified Naturally Raised
Certified Humane
Deschutes Junction, OR
Farm Sister #5781
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile
After being "gone" for a while I am happy to be back and into earning a few more badges. I said the same thing - Girl Scouts for Grownups!
Not for everyone ... but it is for me :)
Tammyb
sisterchick 541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic My View of Merit Badges Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page