True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2013 :  8:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Marie,
Glad to hear you get to teach young people to crochet. I learned from my mother and also at school. Back in the 70's, we had a half day on Fridays when we could pick different activities to try, mine always involved some sort of crafting... Of course that was when you were "free to be you and me". I bring a project with me most days. I don't always get to work on it but it does spark conversation.
Take care
Denise
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2014 :  4:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I take my crochet everywhere with me. I even crochet during sermons. It helps me concentrate.

It is really a conversation starter, as I am very shy myself.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

subfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Sue
Brownsburg IN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2014 :  3:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
I plan to learn to crochet - using MaryJane's Stitching Room instructions - so that I can be crafty during my two sons' baseball games this summer. The only craft I do right now is cross stitch, which is a little difficult (I find, at least) to do while also being a spectator. The mom of one of my son's teammates was knitting during a game and got a lot of questions and interest. I used to feel self-conscious even about stitching while waiting in the car to pick my kids up from school, but I realized that was silly.

It's such a nice feeling to "own" your interests and not be concerned about what others think!

Sue in IN
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2014 :  6:50:03 PM  Show Profile
A easy switch from cross stitch is embroidery and it's pretty much following lines, so it's a no brainer type thing you can do while conversating and watching games, etc.

Funny enough... I went to a Freebirds opening (if you know what a Chipotle is (a tex mex fast food place), it's like that...and the first 25 customers got free food for a year! So I went a day early to camp out... and I took my embroidery work. Now surprisingly enough, I didn't realize this must be a man thing to do (camp out for free food) cause I was only one of 3 women, and 22 men! lol haha But, also oddly enough it was the men, like the homeless artist young college man, and such that started conversations with me because of my embroidery! lol I always find it's the least suspecting ones who are most interested! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

subfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Sue
Brownsburg IN
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  07:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion, Heather! I may give embroidery a try!
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3947 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3947 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  5:04:14 PM  Show Profile
I have two boys in my beginning crochet class this term. They are very attentive and have better focus than the girls do. I heard the best thing a teacher can hear from these two boys last week. They said, "I get it!".

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  7:14:06 PM  Show Profile
Hay there, Mz Marie,

My daughter is wanting to begin teaching crochet and she is very qood . How did you go about getting the job with the after school group? Any suggestions or tips would be helpful. She is looking for extra income.

Hugs and prayers Daizy

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Crocheting in public Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page