Next Page
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Farmgirl Weddings Next Topic
Page: of 2

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 05 2005 :  05:53:32 AM  Show Profile
It's that time of year! I seem to remember when I first joined this forum that there was alot of talk about future weddings for this spring. Have any happened so far? If so what did you end up doing?
We have a good friend whose niece is deciding on whether she wants an outdoor wedding and if so her aunt and I are going to be the "party planners". I can hardly wait! Even if she decides on the indoor venue we will still do the flowers and decorating so either way we get to have fun and let our creative juices run wild! That's wild as in wildflowers, not leopard spotted wedding cakes!

with a happy heart

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 05 2005 :  11:40:06 AM  Show Profile
Bramble you have unleashed a monster here...My daughter is engaged. She is the country girl type, her favorite flower is the daisy. We have been exploring some different ideas, budget minded of course. She wants to have an elegant but kind to the planet ceremony. Intimate but purposeful. We are thinking of holding the reception here at our home. Big tent in the pasture, field flowers and herbs, the vineyard, local country band. I have been collecting old flea market cotton and linen table clothes. Old blue mason jars to hold the candles. Here are some sites we found along the organic line for weddings. twistedlimbpaper.com organicbouquet.com getconscious.com Of course also looking at making the reception food ourselves with help from relatives and friends. She may decide to elope and that is OK too. She plans on next summer or the fall of 2006.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

gena
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Gena-Marie
Surprise Arizona
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  6:26:35 PM  Show Profile
hi-
I'm renewing my wedding vows on my 16th anniversary in October. I live in the suburbs of Phx but am dreaming of having a FarmGirl-type ceremony and reception. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get the look and feel of the rural life on the edge of the city?
Thank you very kindly,
Gena

got flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  6:58:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh Gena..how wonderful...there was a thread recently with alot of ideas..and you can believe we will all drown you in our own wedding ideas...one of our favorite topics I think!! Personally...I would sure use alot of flowers, clay pots, natural things and simplicity....will it be outside? Tell us what you have in mind!! What a fun thing to plan..and October will be a beautiful time of year..October is my favorite month!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

gena
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Gena-Marie
Surprise Arizona
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  7:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny-
When I got married in 1989 I was 19 and just HAD TO HAVE the whole Cinderella deal for my wedding. It was indoors-little church, 300 people, fairy taleish-what I could afford, the entire ball of wax. I liked it-I planned-it but for our renewal I want simpler, fresher, outdoors, flowers, flowers, flowers. I paid for my original wedding without help from my parents and for the time it was very expensive. My husband and I will be paying this time, without help from his parents either which suits me just fine. I'm thinking prairie-type dresses-simple lines, empire waists, wildflower bouquets. I do have to be mindful of the budget and I plan to keep it to 30-40 people tops. I'm thinking farm/cottage theme. Simple, elegant, beautiful. I tthought I would also use my favorite vintage linens collected over the years for the tables, and I absolutely love the idea of the mason jars for flowers on the tables. How pretty!

***got flowers***
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  9:59:27 PM  Show Profile
When my husband and I got married (9 years ago..we were both in our 30's) we had a big barbque reception in our back yard the next day and we did the vintage tablecloths on tables (I borrowed card tables from everyone I knew since we had at least 100 people there) since it was April we had fresh flowers all over ..my favorites..sweetpeas were blooming all over the back fence..we had mason jars of wildflowers tied with raffia and I did the wedding cake..3 layers with a little basket and candied pansies and violets spilling out the basket and down one side..really fun! We kept it really simple and had such a good time. I love the idea of the prairie dresses and all that..what fun! Iknow the gals here will have some great ideas to help you out...sounds like you have some good ideas!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  06:51:01 AM  Show Profile
I do believe MaryJanes book, which is released next week (May 24), has a section on planning farmgirl weddings, as she just did her daughter's (Meg) wedding last summer. You'll probably find alot of ideas there for your special day.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  08:49:46 AM  Show Profile
October should give you lots of fall blooms (maybe asters? and mums!), baskets of apples and maybe even some foliage...even if it comes from the craft store.Or maybe those of us with fall foliage should press and send you some leaves for your tables???
I, too, love the flowers in mason jars and remember that mason jars also make great candle holders. You can even hang them by wraping wire around the band top. AndI love the prairie dress idea as well. Have you seen the trend to "prairie" styles in some stores? Should be easy to find what you need :) Good luck and have fun!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

gena
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Gena-Marie
Surprise Arizona
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  09:39:38 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Sharon, Clare, and Jenny for the terrific ideas. I have seen some candle holders with the wire curled around the top for a handle like what you are describing. I bet that wouldn't be hard at all to do myself. I am definately going to get MaryJanes book. I can't wait to see it. Will it be for sale in book stores or is it only on the website?

Thanks again-
Gena

***got flowers***
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  10:05:34 AM  Show Profile
Available both places, Gena!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  10:06:01 AM  Show Profile
Gena,
You can pre order it right from the home page of the web site! Even get an autographed copy!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

gena
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Gena-Marie
Surprise Arizona
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  11:59:09 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks!
Gena

***got flowers***
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  4:02:11 PM  Show Profile
I am planning my country style wedding for this September (its getting close!) I am open to ideas that are avaliable from anyone! I plan on having a tent outside my parent's home. It will be a late afternoon celebration, with a bonfire and bring-your-own-instrument style music toward the evening.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Deb-- How about jelly jar candles hanging all over? You could make them ahead so they will burn all night and you will have a twinkly magical evening! We are doing this for the wedding we are helping with and making about 100. If you are on a real budget save glass jars ( spaghetti, etc and tie raffia around them for vases and fill withwhatever is in bloom at the time.Ask friends and family to borrow table linens all in one color even though the patterns don't match the overall effect will be pleasing. (Or maybe all lace table cloths to unite the look and give it that bridal effect). What about a quilt hanging somewhere with a chair and some large pots of flowers so that you can have a spot for everyone to take a "formal" portrait as well as all the candid ones I'm sure they will take! WalMart has cheapy dispoable cameras that you could leave all over with a note asking people to help you record the day. Some of my favorite pictures came that way! It's nice to have all the extras but in the long run it's about you and your hubby to be sharing this special day in the way that makes the two of you happy. Have fun planning, the possibilities
are wide open!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Go barefoot...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  09:58:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh I swear I could be a wedding designer, I love it so much. I just did my Sister-in-laws wedding. It was a big white wedding, not the kind of wedding were talking about here. But we made a lot it ourselves. It was the kind of wedding she always wanted and thats what I designed for her. Her step mom made her cake. We made all the favors which were jars of local honey. We bought 5 or 10 pounds of lavender buds and sprinkled them everywhere - down the isle, on the tables and used it to throw instead of rice. Candles everywhere, it was an evening/night time wedding so we wanted it very sparkly. People said they could see my touches all over it, that made me really happy. I am a graphic designer trying to put together a portfolio of work and she commissioned me to do her invitaions so I did these classic, ivory with orchids invitations with matching table number cards for her. I had so much fun with this wedding. I'm full of ideas, especially for a country wedding. I would have loved to have a counrty wedding. I had a winter wedding in my Mom's house in front of the fire place all covered in wheat, pine, berries and mums. I wore a vintage sage green dress and my Mother-in-law made me a winter wreath for me hair. My Grandmom cooked all the food and her friend made the cake. There wasn't much dancing 'cause there wasn't much room but there was alot of talking and laughter. There were about 40 people, I invitaed only people who have known us well, it was very initmate. I wish I knew then the things I know now, I could have done so much more. I very good at making beautiful things out of nothing, with no money.
If you need help with anything let me know like I said I'm bursting with ideas. Especially invitations, they can get very costly and we managed to reduce the cost by doing it ourselves.
Well keep us posted.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  10:40:17 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who, when she got married had a vineyard theme...(she grew up in Napa Valley in CAlif) and did grapes (both green and purple) dipped in egg white and then in sugar on top of her wedding cake and down one side and did alot of other things with grapevines, and grapes down the tables and stuff. She did alot of it herself and on a budget, but it was so classy and neat...I was impressed!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  1:59:07 PM  Show Profile
My fiance and I are making our invitations, a cross between country and classy. Actually we are struggling to get them done, the wedding is in September, we are hoping to mail them out in a couple of weeks.

Bramble, I like the idea with a rocking chair and quilt, it would be a special way to honor my grandmother with one of her quilts. I am planning on making the jelly jar candles, I love them! There will be lots of white lights, I bought out a store the day after christmas when all the lights go for 1/2 price!
My aunt is making an arch as her wedding gift, she has lived and worked with the amish for some time so I am excited to see her work. She always has the capibility to amaze me with what she can do with her hands and occasionally a few simple tools.
I'm thinking of dropping the chair rentals for the ceremony and go with benches from a local scout camp, or better yet straw bales with boards on them!
I'd love to incorporate as much lavender as I can get my hands on, I love lavender, sqrl, do you have any suggestions on where to get lavender in such abundant quantities?
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  5:00:36 PM  Show Profile
yes I do have some places to look for lavender. just give me a second to found my notes here.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  08:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bramble! and Everyone else!

My wedding was being talked about for a while then I got busy with planning.

My original plan:
quilts on the tables, mason jars with flowers, homemade dress

Actual Wedding
We had off white plastic tableclothes. Each table had a topiary borrowed from my husband's cousin's wedding. The bottoms of the topiary were covered in calico fabric squares in three different patterns. (material $1/yd walmart) Edges of squares were pinked then gathered around the neck of the topiary with off white ribbon. Also on each table was a mason jar on each end filled with pink vincas and a pink ribbon around the lip of the jar.

Flowers:
My bouquet was pink & white daisies with also carnations, babies breath, and ivory roses. Coming down from under the bouquet were love knots, which are ribbons cascading down with a bow tied on each one. Bridesmaids had simple small bouqets of daisies. There was one large floral arrangment hanging between two trees, which was the altar.

Music:
My friend played three songs on guitar. Processional: In My Life by the Beatles
Interlude: The wedding song by Paul STookey
Recessional: Here Comes the Sun by the beatles

Reception Music:
A. Sing-Along: my husband and I put together a song book with guitar chords on it for everyone who's a musician to play along with and everyone else can sing along with. It has about 50 songs in it. It is also the wedding favor.
B. Square Dancing: We hired a caller, banjo player and upright bass player to provide square dancing music. This was so much fun and got everyone involved.

Dance Floor:
DH's cousins and uncle made a 16 x16 dance floor the day before the wedding using plywood, 2x4x8's, nails and duct tape. It held up under 3 plus hours of square dancing. Afterwards we donated the materials to Habitat for Humanity Restore.

Food:
DH's Grandma made 15 apple pies, 10 pecan pies, and a giant peach cobbler. We cut one of the apple pies for our "cake". DH's friend brought burgers from his family's cattle ranch and grilled them up for everyone(he was also a groomsman). We had potato salad and baked beans and other dishes that people brought (it was a potluck, kind of). We had punch to drink and some people went and got beer later.

Attire:
Me: a tea length ivory strapless dress. The best way to describe it is as if some overlayed a giant doily to a satin dress. My earrings were dangly gold filigree with pink and ivory rough pearls. Plain ivory sandals from walmart with low heel for dancing.
Bridesmaids: Varying shades of pink they each had made from a pattern. They also had large pearl bracelets and dangly pink crystal earrings
Men: Husband and grooms men wore white button down shirts with khaki dress pants.
Flower girls: pink linen sundress from Target ($14) with white sandals. They each had a little basket with daisy heads in them that they threw out on the grass.

Reverend:
Got him off the internet, ordained in the Universal Life Church.

Pre-Wedding Festivities: All took place over Memorial Weekend 2005
Overnight rafting trip on the Illinois River in Oklahoma on Thursday before wedding. Any who wanted to come was invited. We camped and had a great time.
Friday night before wedding: Party for adults at a local tavern.
Saturday: Wedding prep and rehearsal. Rehearsal had a keg of homebrew from DH's friends and Indian Buffet takeout.
Sunday: wedding from roughly 11 -5. People stayed later though. We stayed that night in the Marriott downtown OKC.
Monday: cleaned up from wedding.
Wednesday: DH and I left on what we call our mini-moon, our own little trip rafting on a river in Missouri.

I don't have any pictures up anywhere right now. But I'll try to get some soon.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  11:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
I have many questions for all of those farmgirl wedding planners out there-- I'm living in the city right now, but couldn't think of a more wonderful place to have the wedding than my cousin's ranch in south west texas. It is beautiful hill country with big live oak trees and long grasses- just more than i could ever want. We're doing a very homemade wedding, my mother-in-law is making the cake, my sister in laws and i will be doing the flowers, local country band and bbq from down in town, but I would love to hear from some people some memorable things to do at a farm wedding!

We are having an afternoon ceremony under the trees and planning to have an afternoon of farm/ranch activities... does anyone have anything great to do? we're going to do horseshoes, dancing, canoeing and nature walks so far.

Also, if anyone has any brilliant ideas on rain plans, I've got open ears!! The ranch we're doing it on is waaaay out from any town, and though you can't even get there if it rains too hard, we're kind of at a loss for a "little bit of rain" plan... i'd love to plan to have a tent, does anyone have any suggestions for one that we can do easily (and frugally) ourselves? do i need flooring? there is a barn as a possibility, but it is is pretty serious disrepair and i'm afraid it's not going to be useful...

It's going to be next memorial day and there's going to be 60 or 70 people there. any suggestions are greatly appriciated
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  2:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies-

I just thought I would but this up since there are a few of us Farmgirls planning weddings right now and any hints and inspirations can be quite beneficial! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  08:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alee...I've been thinking about this--when my dh turned 30, I threw him a huge surprise party. When I look back on it, I think it was how I REALLY wanted our wedding reception to be!!!! It was simple but elegant,somewhat themed--maybe 1930's--and HAPPY...I had on a vintage white dress (because it was HOT in August) with a big dahlia in my hair. The party itself was in an Edwardian bandstand, that had been screened in, and had long sweeping hardwood floors for dancing, we had a jug band (our friends are in one and it suited the setting), and had everyone bring a dish (we had WAY too much food). I collect vintage tablecloths (all the bright one from the 30's, 40, and 50's?) and I pressed, starched and ironed them for the tables, then went to every thrift store imagineable and bought up milk glass vases of all designs, then filled them with all-colored zinnias, which are cheap and lovely. We had 14 larger tables, so I had 14 tablecloths and vases. I also bought some little votive holders for citronella candles for the evening. For drinks, I put out galvinized tubs full of ice and bottles of Ale 8 One soda, a Kentucky original softdrink and dh's favorite, and all of the Stewart's soda's you can imagine. I tried to make it personal to him, with a large chocolate cake, and the jug band played his favorite songs (Beatles, too!!) which is how I think a wedding should be. I tied vintage paper lanterns all around with lights inside, and outside, we had horseshoes, corn toss games for adults and bubble wands for the kids. I put up a memory board of photos of dh from his childhood to the present, that I made from a vintage damask tablecloth and a large victorian ornate frame I found at a tag sale for $5.00. It was portrait sized, so I could include a lot of photos and memories. This is something I really like to see at weddings, too. A wedding I attended in the early spring had all the wedding or engagement photos of their grandparents and great-grandparents and parents, and on each corner of the frames, had a little wreath of flowers. It was REALLY pretty, and so endearing to let your guests know who you come from.
Just some ideas...I love celebrations of any kind!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  9:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

that sounds beautiful and so "you"! I can tell how much you enjoyed it!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  05:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Jonni -- What a wonderful celebration! I can just see it all -- you paint such a lovely picture of the day. Thanks for sharing. KL
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  07:44:52 AM  Show Profile
I am not sure where you can find them, but I saw on Racheal Ray's talk show about paper goods, cards, writing paper etc... that has flower seeds in it, people plant the card when they are done with it and wild flowers grow... this would be great for invites or thank you notes as favors on tables.

Niki
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Farmgirl Weddings Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page