Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Savanah Georgia Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  08:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
My DH and I are planning a motorcycle trip this spring from Wisconsin to Savanah, Georgia and surrounding areas. Does any one have any suggestions on places to go , eat, and stay. We like to do things off the beaten path but want to see everything worth seeing. We love Antiques, Music, Scenary, Good food (doesn't have to be fancy just good)and relaxing. Any suggestions would be great!!!! Thanks.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  09:46:08 AM  Show Profile
My mom and dad just went there about 3 weeks ago and LOVED it! They mentioned some places. I'll ask her about it and get back to you!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Julie, I read one of my students essays about her summer vacation a few years back and she made the area sound so great. But I have since lost contact with her. Anything you can find out would be wonderful. I always research but 1st hand info is always the best.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  10:08:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh Betty Jo- You have to go out to Tybee Island and walk the pier and of course dip you toes in the Atlantic Ocean! Then, be sure to take a trolley tour of the Savannah squares. You can catch one at the visitor's center. A walk on River Street is a must, as well as visiting Fort Pulaski (which is on the way out to Tybee) and Fort Jackson. For eating- well, The Lady and Sons of course!! It's Paula Deen's restaurant and you have to try the fried oysters and macaroni and cheese! Oooh- have fun! I LOVE Savannah.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  11:57:08 AM  Show Profile
Stay at the Savannah Westin. It is right across the river from Savannah proper, and a ferry boat takes folks back and forth every 30 minutes day and night. We loved the boat ride across, and the hotel was really nice. Eat at The Pink House, but forget about the one that boasts a mamma and her two boys. We had the worst greasy meal, and we were all sick through the night. Take a carriage ride. A little cheesy, but fun to do. You will really like the shops and the lovely homes and churches.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  07:50:37 AM  Show Profile
I love Savannah! We stayed at the Savannah Beach Inn at Tybee.The most wonderful B&B !! Within walking distance of the beach..and the breakfast is wonderful! Ann the inkeeper is a delight~! We stayed in the "Victorian" room..a little small but very nice! In fact-after all the motels on the way down there..I literally wept in delight when I saw the room..!It is a short drive to Savannah-probably about 5 minutes..We did Savannah but it didnt seem enough to keep us busy more than a day~
Lady and Sons - Paula Deens restaurant was okay..at least we can say we have been there...however, it is a very long line to get in so be prepared to wait...Dont forget to walk thru the park were Forest Gump said his famous line about "life..and chocolates".. We also took a carriage ride to see the highlights!
Check out the Inn at http://www.savannahbeachinn.com/
I would stay there again and again...
Jan
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  2:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Went there and plan on going back this summer like they said must see 'Lady and Sons' and try Uncle Bubba's. If you like seafood you will love this place.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  05:03:52 AM  Show Profile
We spent an afternoon in Savannah a couple years ago while driving home from Florida. What a beautiful area! We went hiking at Skidaway Island (I think that I spelled that right), and then met one of my husband's coworkers for lunch. We drove by where Forrester Gump was filmed sitting on the bench. What a beautiful area! The shops were so quaint too. I'd love to go for a whole week to explore with my husband!

It sounds as though there are some great suggestions here. Have a wonderful time!
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  05:25:02 AM  Show Profile
I have always heard that Savannah is supposed to be the most haunted city in the South, so, if you like good ghost stories you may want to look some up.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  08:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I am going to visit Savanah this summer. We are going down to Hilton Head with my in laws and our girls. My husband promised me a side trip to Savanah I can't wait to go...

Niki
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Savanah Georgia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page