herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  3:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Ruth,how funny..."they come looking for you if the feeders isn't put up in time!" *giggle* ...cutecutecute...
Monday I saw a pair of yellow finches....WOW!...way too early for those little guys!We usually don't see them until June! I hope they can stay warm!
ROFL...."will2farm" ...I can just picture you in my mind chasing those Kildeer chicks everywhere....and laugh harder when I think of how it looked to your neighbors. hahahahaha *dabs eyes*
Lucy, I'm envious of you western gals who have Bald Eagles. I've never seen one in the wild, and we even traveled out there every summer on family vacation when I was a kid.(in late 50's now)So sad not to see one unless it was in a zoo...at my age! *tsktsk*
It only got up into the upper 30's today and that wind was sharp.
It's 6:30 Pm now and I'm sitting here watching all the birdies at my feeders and suet feeders. I got a peanut suet block today. One of the holders is empty. Think I'll go put that in for my little woodpeckers and nuthatches,before they come knocking on MY windows.hahaha
Happy birdie-watching Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  7:26:26 PM  Show Profile
A couple of winters ago we were getting an albino jay coming around. He was pretty cool. I have some pics but probably can't find them easily.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  05:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Noelle,
Thank you for posting your pictures. They are so pretty.
So nice to see the birds close up. I enjoy hearing all
the stories of everyone's bird encounters and friendships.
The birds have been arriving here for the last few weeks
and it is so nice to hear them again.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

286 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
286 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile
I want hummer's in my yard to eat from nectar. i only see them go to the honey suckle bush. I'm going to grow a patch of oats, wheat and just weeds to bring the indigo bunting back. I rarely see them anymore.

STYX the Band rocks!

Food for thought, no farm no food.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  4:11:01 PM  Show Profile
Laura, I've never heard of an albino Jay...how interesting. I sure hope you can find those pics of him. I'd love to see that!I remember as a little girl traveling West and seeing my first Gray-Jay and thinking of how unusual but cool that was.
I'm really loving this bird sharing! Aren't we just a bunch of bird-nerds! LOL It's just so fascinating!
I also love the way birds send out alarms,especially the Blue-Jay. When I hear that alarm, I run to a window to see what's going on. It may be that a hawk is circling or a cat is too close and is a possible threat. Whatever scares them, they just yell it out there! hahaha
Birds are Just plain FUN,aren't they?

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  5:01:19 PM  Show Profile
HI All,

I am glad that you all have liked the bird pics. I love to take pictures of birds, it is amazing some
of the detail that the camera can get. I can study the features of the bird a lot more closely when
the camera catches the birds in still life. It is amazing. I cannot wait till the humming birds come
back again. They are do any time here. I have my feeders out and am waiting till I see the first one
of the season. I get so excited when I see the first hummer of the season. They are the most
challenging to take pictures of. They move so fast and are so small. every year I try to
get a better one than the year before. They are just so beautiful and wonderous.
I have a butterfly and humming bird garden that attracts a lot of hummers. One of these days
I will get a good pic, and when I do I will post it. Maybe this year will be the year.
I have a better camera this year that I have had previous years so maybe that will make difference.

I love hearing your stories about the birds that you all see in your area of the world. Keep it
up, and thanks for sharing.

Give me the simple country life.
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  4:49:54 PM  Show Profile
I now have a bluebird house with bluebirds currently making a nest. It is so exciting watching them come to and from
the box with grasses to make their next. In the coming days I am hoping to get some good pics of the pair and hopefully
the beautiful blue eggs they she female will lay. I will post pics as I get them. This is the first year I have
had my bluebird house and am already to excited.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  6:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,

Last I posted to this thread I had just put up a Blue Bird House. Well... not only did I attract some tenets but now there are some eggs. I am so excited!!! It will be so much for to watch the little ones grow up and leave the nest. I will take pics and share the journey with you all. Here are a few pics that I have taken thus far. Enjoy!!

Home Sweet Home

The start of a new family

The daddy keeping a look out.

The daddy still keeping a look out for bugs and other things deemed delicious.

Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  9:43:06 PM  Show Profile
I have really enjoyed this spring and the birds. This is the first spring in almost 40 years that I have not worked. Sold our business last year but stayed and worked with the new owners for a few months to get them going and then spent most of July in California visiting family. Early this spring I would take my coffee, bird book, and binoculars out in the morning and evening to see what was hanging out in the yard. I would not trim the honeysuckle or the azaleas because of birds nesting in them. Right now I have a cardinal, wrens, a thrasher, and a robin sitting on nests. I love to heard all the singing especially in the morning and just before sun set.

I don't currently feed the birds (except a few days of ice last winter) but I do have a couple of bird baths set up for them. I am in the process of setting up another bird bath and also a feeding station.

I've enjoyed seeing all your birds, thanks for the pictures!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  3:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Hi Noelle and Everyone : )

I am a bird watcher too, with feeders in my yard. Being in Phoenix, we get some birds in our yard that the rest of the country doesn't get. Right now I have a family of Gamble's quail with a dozen tiny chicks, a nesting verdin, white-winged doves, and hummingbirds, to name a few species. The birds here change with the season, and we have different birds in the winter. We have a great-horned owl that likes to spend time in our palm tress and sometimes we see roadrunners and sharp-shinned hawks in our garden. There is a pair of mallard ducks that likes to visit out pool (yikes) . We have lots of mocking birds around and they mimic everything...when I hear a quail or a duck (or any other bird) I have to look around and see if it's really what it sounds like or a pretty little mimic.

A couple of years ago I certified our house as a "backyard wildlife habitat". Besides birds, we have desert cottontails with long ears, bats, several different kinds of lizards, butterflies, and this week we even found a tiny baby praying mantis. Before moving to Phoenix we lived in the country in Colorado and wildlife was abundant. Now that I've been able to attract creatures to our suburban back-yard, I am much happier living in Phoenix. I crave nature and love having all the critters come to visit.

I am enjoying reading all the posts about birds.

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  04:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I envy you the time to just sit and watch. I eat my breakfast while looking out at the feeder and flowering shrubs and it takes a lot of willpower to tear myself away and get ready for work!
quote:
Originally posted by KathyC

I have really enjoyed this spring and the birds. This is the first spring in almost 40 years that I have not worked. Sold our business last year but stayed and worked with the new owners for a few months to get them going and then spent most of July in California visiting family. Early this spring I would take my coffee, bird book, and binoculars out in the morning and evening to see what was hanging out in the yard. I would not trim the honeysuckle or the azaleas because of birds nesting in them. Right now I have a cardinal, wrens, a thrasher, and a robin sitting on nests. I love to heard all the singing especially in the morning and just before sun set.

I don't currently feed the birds (except a few days of ice last winter) but I do have a couple of bird baths set up for them. I am in the process of setting up another bird bath and also a feeding station.

I've enjoyed seeing all your birds, thanks for the pictures!

Kathy

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  05:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Pam, your backyard sounds like such an oasis! How lovely. I have only heard a Mockingbird once, a few years ago. It was such a funny sound. I'm in western NY state and right now have BlueJays, Cardinals, Pheasant (We hear it in the farmer's field but don't see it too often)and hopefully the Hummingbird will find the feeder I hung. She is a bit late this year. Traditionally they are "mother's Day to Labor Day"
quote:
Originally posted by coaloha

Hi Noelle and Everyone : )

I am a bird watcher too, with feeders in my yard. Being in Phoenix, we get some birds in our yard that the rest of the country doesn't get. Right now I have a family of Gamble's quail with a dozen tiny chicks, a nesting verdin, white-winged doves, and hummingbirds, to name a few species. The birds here change with the season, and we have different birds in the winter. We have a great-horned owl that likes to spend time in our palm tress and sometimes we see roadrunners and sharp-shinned hawks in our garden. There is a pair of mallard ducks that likes to visit out pool (yikes) . We have lots of mocking birds around and they mimic everything...when I hear a quail or a duck (or any other bird) I have to look around and see if it's really what it sounds like or a pretty little mimic.

A couple of years ago I certified our house as a "backyard wildlife habitat". Besides birds, we have desert cottontails with long ears, bats, several different kinds of lizards, butterflies, and this week we even found a tiny baby praying mantis. Before moving to Phoenix we lived in the country in Colorado and wildlife was abundant. Now that I've been able to attract creatures to our suburban back-yard, I am much happier living in Phoenix. I crave nature and love having all the critters come to visit.

I am enjoying reading all the posts about birds.

Pam
Farmgirl #1075

ANGIE

Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  4:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I have a bird story....we had some deadwood in a tree (bad weather last winter) and the HOA wanted it cut out. I would have liked to have left it until nesting season was over, but our HOA is not very tolerant about things. My son climbed a high ladder, and after he had cut the wood out he realized that there was a mourning dove sitting on a nest that was now exposed to the hot Arizona sun without the shade from the dead branches. Luckily, I had some shade cloth and after cutting a piece, my son went back up the ladder and we managed to tie the shade cloth onto the remaining branches so it shades the nest. When I went out to check this morning, the dove was under the shade cloth, sitting on her nest. I so hope that the shade cloth holds until the eggs hatch and the babies fledge, and I am so glad that we were able to do something to help her after we disrupted her nesting site. On a more positive note, another mourning dove is nesting in a short palm tree, right in our front entryway.

Angie, I do feel like my garden is an oasis. It is so hot and harsh here for half of the year, and I have worked to create a water-wise garden of color and lushness that attracts both people and wildlife. I believe that a garden not only nourishes the gardener's soul, but is a gift for everyone who walks by : )

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  9:09:00 PM  Show Profile
awwwwwwwwww,Pam.......what a sweet thing to do and I'm so glad that the doves weren't afraid of it and that they understood that you were trying to help them.
...and they say animals and people can't co-exist...can't understand common needs....phooey....
I'm still enjoying all of these wonderful "feathered-friend" stories.
Thanks for sharing Gals!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  8:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi All, I love hearing about all the Bird and Garden stories.
Pam, your morning dove store is so touching, it is such a great feeling to be able
to help another mom out no matter what the species. In the end I think that all mom's
feel the same and are concerned about their young.

I love gardens and have plenty of them. Our backyard where I have my bluebird house is a garden
paradise. I know they will love eating all the bugs that the garden will attract.

speaking of bluebirds I have some updated photos and news on our backyard residents.

first the pics

The Bluebird house.

2 bluebird eggs in the nest. A third one was laid a few days later.

Day old hatchlings.

Male bluebird looking for bugs to take back to the nest.

Fledging day. Three little bluebirds are in my backyard getting their start on life.
Don't worry our backyard is fenced in so nothing can get to them and hurt them,

wings look good. Now to master the art of lift and aerodynamics.

The three fledglings huddles together for their first night in the big world.

Today the little ones were working on their flying. They can fly straight but not
up yet. They are trying so hard it is just too cute. In a few days they will be off
and on their way. It is such a privledge to get to witness this in nature.

Our backyard where the little bluebirds are getting their start at life.
For a bird that likes to eat bugs it is a paradise. They just might hang
around and stay a spell. It would be great for my gardens too.

Another pic of our backyard homestead.

Thanks for viewing.

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  03:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Noelle, super pictures! Those little furry bodies are just so cute! What a privilege to be able to watch their process up close. And momma knows that they have a safe haven in your back yard.
Do the Blue birds come back every year?

Oh, and I'm loving the picture of your corn growing. Up here, ours is only about 6 inches high yet! No fair! You get to enjoy it waaayy before i do!

ANGIE

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  08:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Angie, I am so glad that you like the pics of the bluebirds.
It is absolutly amazing to watch them grow up in my backyard.
I got to watch the parent birds build the next then peek on the
nest and see the little eggs being added one by one. A total of
three were laid by this pair. I have another bluebird house in
my backyard but so far no bluebirds have taken to it yet.

From what I understand the female will come back to the bird
house year after year. According to my research once you have attracted
the bluebirds and they raise their young at your property they do come
back year after year. This is my first year successfully attracting the bluebird
and witnessing them raise their young. We will see what happens next year.

The little ones are learning how to use their wings and gain flight. So in a few days they
will be gone. I am going to miss the little family in my backyard. I am glad that I took
a pictoral date journal of their growth and development. It is an amazing story to share
with others who appreciate the life cycle of bluebirds.

Thanks for reading.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Any fellow Bird Watchers??? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page