KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  11:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, I am new here and just love it!! I am not sure if this is the write place to post this topic. If I messed up please forgive me.

I live out in the country and enjoy lots of bird watching. I take pictures of many of them as a hobby. Here are a few that I have taken.

Blue jay making a seed selection.

Look who is lookin' at you. Humming bird taking a rest of the feeder.

Snow Cardinal

What are some of the birds that you like to look for?
Thanks for viewing.

Give me the simple country life.

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Noelle! Welcome! You will love it here. I am a big bird watcher, too. Right now we are seeing cardinals, chickadees, woodpeckers, and Canadian geese. I can't wait for the other birds. Bluebirds and robins are returning, too. I like the pic of the hummingbird. We love seeing them all summer.

Happy Spring!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  1:07:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by texdane

Hey Noelle! Welcome! You will love it here. I am a big bird watcher, too. Right now we are seeing cardinals, chickadees, woodpeckers, and Canadian geese. I can't wait for the other birds. Bluebirds and robins are returning, too. I like the pic of the hummingbird. We love seeing them all summer.

Happy Spring!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Hey Nicole, I love this community it is great!!
I am a big bird watcher, I have feeder all over my house.
Sometimes hubby think that I have too many because our birdseed
bill just keep getting higher and highter, LOL!!

We have lots of the birds that you mentioned. The woodpeckers are so funny to watch. I have some suit cakes set out that they really like.
I have seen several verites of the woodpeckers too.

I am looking forward to the return of the hummers, bluebirds, and the gold finches. The robins stay around all winter so do the female bluebirds. The males migrate, strange but true.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile
I like watching birds. I live along the Mississippi so we get lots of birds--white pelicans, egrets, blue herons, bald eagles, kingfishers--all kinds of ducks and geese. Right now I have birds fighting over the seed mixture I made for them. It's 5 cups cornmeal, 2 cups flour, 1 cup flaxseeds, 1 cup barley (or you can use whatever you have), 2 or 3 eggs and 2 cups used cooking oil. Mix all together till it's the consistency of cake batter. Spread on cookie sheets and bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. When it cools, feed it to the birds. The robins love it and try to keep the other birds away. I have a small woodpecker eating from the seed treat in my frontyard. Love them birds.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  6:41:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prariehawk

I like watching birds. I live along the Mississippi so we get lots of birds--white pelicans, egrets, blue herons, bald eagles, kingfishers--all kinds of ducks and geese. Right now I have birds fighting over the seed mixture I made for them. It's 5 cups cornmeal, 2 cups flour, 1 cup flaxseeds, 1 cup barley (or you can use whatever you have), 2 or 3 eggs and 2 cups used cooking oil. Mix all together till it's the consistency of cake batter. Spread on cookie sheets and bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. When it cools, feed it to the birds. The robins love it and try to keep the other birds away. I have a small woodpecker eating from the seed treat in my frontyard. Love them birds.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Thank you so much for posting the bird seed recipe!!! That is awesome.
Is it more like a suit cake or is it something that you an put into a bird feeder?

I am going to try your bird seed recipe, I would love to get the robins to eat from my feeders. They don't eat from the feeders but they will eat the meal worms that drop on the ground. If the robins at your house eat out of the seed try maybe they will at my house.

Thanks again!!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  7:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Dang prairiehawk, your birds are spoiled! I feed mine "feed store" bird feed & feel blessed when they eat more than the squirrels!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  9:15:09 PM  Show Profile
I put the seed mixture on a flat tray that is hanging from a post in my backyard. I put some PVC pipe around the post before I put it in the ground so the squirrels can't climb up it.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  06:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow, those are beautiful pictures. I love watching the birds here. We have a forest preserve in our back yard and I volunteer at the Morton Arboretum. We live in a town with rivers, lakes, and ponds, so there is always something to look out for. I can't wait until the weather warms up (and stays that way) to see what birds will be flying in for the summer. I never seem to have my camera with when I see a blue heron, eagle, hawk, etc....

Keep taking pictures please & posting them! They are terrific.

Dawn in Pr
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  08:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks All, I am glad to see that I have some fellow bird watchers. I was requested by ddmashayekhi to
post some more pics. I have a few more, so there they are... Enjoy!!!

I have some more pics but I will have to get them off my camera. I will post them when I get some batteries
for my camera.

Thanks for viewing.:-)

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  08:48:06 AM  Show Profile
You have some very colorful birds in your photographs. Most of mine are dull. I occasionally have a yellow bird in the yard. I do get lots and lots of California quail and mourning doves. Then there are also lots of little songbirds. The robins don't seem to eat out of the feeders and are worm gatherers. When I lived in Oregon I had Stellar's jays and a few blue jays, but not the ones with the crests.

Looking forward to more photographs.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  1:23:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Thanks, I am glad you like the photos. I have some other good ones I will post once I get some batteries
for my camera. It takes a specific kind of battery that I have to find a match for. Anyway, I have tried to
get the robins to come to my feeders using meal worms but they are not interested. I guess unless it is wiggling
they do not pay much attention. All though the bluebirds will eat meal worms from the feeders.
I am still trying to get a good pic of a bluebird, they are very flighty and do not pose like some of
the other birds. Once I get a good one I will post it. I am hoping this spring I will get a good pic
of one. I have some new bluebird houses that will hopefully attract more bluebirds to my yard plus
a new feeder with meal worms just for them. We will see if it does the trick.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile
I don't feed the birds because I spend most of my time buying feed and feeding my horses and other domestic critters that I am sure I would run out of bird feed or forget to fill the feeder, and I wouldn't want them to get dependent on me, but I just love to see birds. I hope to get some time to draw some. I am trying to decorate my bathroom with bird pics and figurines. The pictures you are posting are lovely! Thank you.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  08:02:17 AM  Show Profile
I saw my first robin here yesterday (but they don't seem to eat anything in the feeders, LOL) and I am waiting for the kildeer to return, which i know means spring is finally here to stay.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  7:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Great photos! I love bird watching. I have kept a list of all the different birds I have seen in our area since 1984. There are 75 birds on the list, some of which I never see anymore because of habitat change. I love birds. The most unusual one I ever saw in my backyard feeder was an indigo bunting. So beautiful. I got lucky and happened to be home for lunch that day. The beauty of it stopped me in my tracks.

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  8:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Noelle!
You will definately love it here!
I too love to feed the birds, and I agree it does get to be expensive, but on so worth it when you get to sit and watch them!
Your pictures are great!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  05:42:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by brightmeadow

I saw my first robin here yesterday (but they don't seem to eat anything in the feeders, LOL) and I am waiting for the kildeer to return, which i know means spring is finally here to stay.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

I love it when the robins come back. It is usually the first sign of spring on its way. Watching them pull worms out of the ground is so amazing. To know exactally where to peck to get the worm is a skill that to this day just stuns me. I try to get them to eat out of the feeder with some meal worms but they don't seem to be too interested. I thought about doing some worm farming. I have chickens so I thought about that for them primarly. But I wonder if the robins would take to it too. Something I will keep researching and thinking about.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  05:46:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

Great photos! I love bird watching. I have kept a list of all the different birds I have seen in our area since 1984. There are 75 birds on the list, some of which I never see anymore because of habitat change. I love birds. The most unusual one I ever saw in my backyard feeder was an indigo bunting. So beautiful. I got lucky and happened to be home for lunch that day. The beauty of it stopped me in my tracks.

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Thanks, glad you liked the photos. I will post more as soon as I can. I love it here, it is so nice to fine other sister who love the farming and country life. No body else really seems to understand why I love dirt and why weeding my garden is relaxing not a chose. Only my hubby understands the rest of my family thinks I am crazy. My friends get it but then it is hard to find other girl friends who don't mind getting dirty.

It is a great idea to keep a list, I need to do that. I have seen so many birds at my property. Some I am still trying to idnetify. I started keeping dried meal worms at one of my feeders. I was intending it for the robins but they don't seem to notice. But other birds have, some that I have never seen before. If I can get some pics I will post them and see if some of the other sister here know what they are. Anyway, you have inspired me, I am going to start keeping a list of what birds I see and what they like to eat.
Thanks for the great idea.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  05:49:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by laurentany

Welcome Noelle!
You will definately love it here!
I too love to feed the birds, and I agree it does get to be expensive, but on so worth it when you get to sit and watch them!
Your pictures are great!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Thanks for the warm welcome. I feel to welcome here and just love it!!

I do agree that feeding the birds can be expensive but for me it is a hobby. I love to go shopping for bird feeders. This year Lowes has some really neat ones. I think I have bought 3 so far this year and want to go back and get some other ones. I have feeders in just about all my trees and shephards hooks holding many more. Some say that the birds eat better than we do. Maybe that is true, but the therapy they give me when I watch them is worth it in my opinion. Besides they also tend my gardens for me. Getting the bugs and keep the spiders and other nastry grubs off my plats.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2013 :  06:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Here are a few more pics that I took yesterday. Enjoy!!

Blue Jay perching in tree

Downy Female woodpecker eating out of seed tray.

Male Downy Woodpecker drilling for bugs.

Red Winged Black bird. They showed up in our area about 2 weeks ago.

Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2013 :  11:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Hey All,

I got a few more fun pics of our feathered friends today. Here are a few of the better ones that I got. Enjoy!!

Blue Jay spotted me with the Camera. What a cute face.

Mocking Bird feasting at the Suit feeder.

Woodpecker busy at work.

Blue Jay feasting at the feeding tray.

Thanks for viewing :-)

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  3:47:14 PM  Show Profile
Hey fellow birdie-lovers! I'm a bird-brain too! LOL Now here's a thread that I can sink my bill into! I just love watching birds, so I feed them year round! We get carried away with the feeders too, but what else can you do in NE Ohio when it's THIS frigid and gloomy,right? I just read in a Lowes home improvement tips catalogue that robins just love mealworms. But you say yours didn't give a hoot! hmmm....I may try it any"hoo" just to see if mine will turn cartwheels and get all giggly! LOL We even have the occasional cooper's hawk that breezes thru our fast-food pick-up lane. Of course he's not too interested in the seed per-say, but I'm told that the finch McNuggets are to die for! *giggle* But that is the cycle of life in the bird world isn't it. I feel privledged that he comes around so often and I can watch him on our back fence eating and get some pics or videos of him.He is gorgeous!
WOW! You got some super pics of your birds Noelle! Good job!I really enjoy the woodpeckers too. They can really chow down on the suet cakes can't they? Thanks for the feed recipe. I love spoiling my "tweeties!"
Jeannie,seeing that bunting would thrill me too! Amazing!
ooo-ooo-ooo-, I just saw my first red-wing blackbird today under my feeder. Once it starts coming here,it stays all summer...and sometimes brings a buddy!Gotta love that!
Well, Happy Easter Farm-Buds!
Happy Birding!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Noelle, I've started doing more bird-watching in recent years. I saw a bluebird this morning! Odd thing is that we've had robins around here all winter. I've read that is a sign of how our climate has adjusted. We have a lot of prairie grasses and native wildflowers at our place and the birds all have plenty of eat all winter, naturally. Bright blue finches, and cardinals, and then there are the raptors. Lots of hawks, and I love the owls. I had two of them swoop over me the other morning on their way to somewhere down by the creek when I was walking the dogs before work before sun-up. I could have reached up and touched them. My husband noticed that the barn swallows returned this week! That is our sign of Spring. They have a nest right outside our kitchen door and we watch them raise several batches of babies during the summer. It won't be long and I'll need to hang the hummingbird feeder out too.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  5:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Noelle, Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your beautiful bird photos with us :) ! We are big bird watchers, here in Blue Ridge, GA. We are in a wooded area, so we have lots of different Woodpeckers. Even the Pileated, which we love to watch. Had one in our yard today beating up a downed tree - smile. We have a pair of bluebirds that have a nest in a birdhouse on our deck. They have been hanging out, but haven't seen any building activity yet. I made humming bird nectar today as they should be showing up any day now. Last year they arrived on April 8th, and if the food isn't out, they come from window to window looking for us!
Welcome to Farmgirl Connection!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2013 :  7:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I love watching birds too. In the change of weather right now seeing buntings, blue jays, a few robins, and waiting for the first signs of hummingbirds probably in late april. Had a hawk staying close to the house last year, and a few wild canaries. Its all so interesting.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  12:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I love watching the birds and all wildlife really. About 3 weeks ago there was a beautiful bald eagle sitting our neighbors power pole. I tried to take a picture, but he flew away before I could get out of the car! We have a lake nearby where they have their nests, so they come around about twice a year. We also have a lot of other birds of prey around here. Knock on wood.....they haven't had a chicken or duck dinner yet!!
Thanks for starting this topic Noelle!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

will2farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2013 :  12:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I loved the pictures. I never to think of taking my camera to the field with me. Kildeer were mentioned and I can't estimate how many times I've been discing a field and momma kildeer does her broken wing trick that signals to me green speckled egg up ahead. Once when we had a wet spring, momma kildeer was trying to detour me so I dutifully got off the tractor to search for the egg. To my surprise I ended up trying to scurry two baby kildeer out of the field. Fast lil critters and momma wasn't to happy with me. I only hope my neighbors weren't watching and wondering what the neighbor lady was doing running circles in the plowed field. I've also seen three flocks of snow geese this year. There's something so peaceful about them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Any fellow Bird Watchers??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page