tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  12:34:51 PM  Show Profile
I hate snakes! I went to collect eggs earlier and there was a snake coiled up in one of the nesting boxes. Didn't stay around long enough to see what kind of snake. We are new to Chickens. We got our first 6 in Jan. we have 10 total now. How do y'all keep snakes out of your coop? These things give me the creeps!

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  1:17:06 PM  Show Profile
small (1/4 welded wire)fenceing, below dirt level for about 1 ft., tight fitting doors and a wire top also, this will also keep out most rodents (which will also eat eggs), cats and ravens/crows and hawks/owls etc, most of the time when you find snakes in your coop, they are after the rodents that hang around for the grain...learn which snakes in your area are poisnous and which arn't, then if its not, and isn't a trouble maker leave it be, and if it is, do whatcha gotta do...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  1:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, we live in south al. Lots of poisonous and non poisonous snake around here. My husband saw a rat snake about 2 weeks ago slither out from under out shed. The run is attached to it. I am wondering if maybe it's the same snake. I will pass along the info to him so he can try the 1/4 wire. We are newbies and learning fast. We didn't get any eggs one day last week so now I'm wondering if a snake is why. Will the same one keep coming back?
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  1:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Tina,
Have been there. We have not let them hang around if we can help it. We went through wondering why we weren't getting eggs. Once we found out my dh took care of it. It was a rat snake which are abundant around here. It can be the same one coming back. I would try the above suggestions. We no longer have the chickens which have helped to get rid of the mice and in turn we don't have as many snakes. But we are thinking about getting another small flock so we will make sure things are more snug and harder for mice, rats and snakes to get into.
Hope you find a solution.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  1:55:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Denise,
We have enjoyed having chickens. We have city chicks so we never thought about having a problem with snakes. Although we are close to one of the creeks that feeds off of the Mobile river. We have not seen any snakes in our yard the entire time we've lived here maybe that is why it was such a surprise. It doesn't matter I still hate snakes. My husband called from work and said he would take care of it for me (he's laughing the entire time, he WILL pay for that )
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:04:27 PM  Show Profile
I would always breathe a sigh of relief when dh said he'd take care of them for me. So far I have only seen one this year. One is more than enough for me. I am always tiptoeing around when I go to hang out clothes or doing the weeding. I am constantly on watch for them. LOL! Funny but yet it's not.

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Dh just sent me a text. Guy he works with said moth balls scattered around the yard works. Is this true or an old wives tale?
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:13:58 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about mothballs working or not, but, just remember they are poisonous...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Our chickens are not free range. Do they need to ingest or is it fumes they give off that makes the poisonous?
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:22:47 PM  Show Profile
ingest them, but remember if you have other pets, children or a veggy garden...

Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:24:54 PM  Show Profile
I will remember that. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:39:52 PM  Show Profile
The only thing I have ever heard about moth balls is that they will keep cats away. It does work for that as we used to have trouble with strays going in our flower beds. They never ate them but the smell detoured them from going there anymore. The rain will wash them away eventually and into the ground which you may want to keep in mind as well when using them.

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 22 2013 :  2:44:36 PM  Show Profile
I will research this subject well before I let him use them. Thanks, y'all have given me something to think about before trying moth balls.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  11:51:07 AM  Show Profile
I keep ceramic eggs in my nest boxes, I have 9 nests and 6 ceramic eggs, so I move them around every day or so. I gather my eggs around dusk, since most of my snake problems happen after dark. I know there is a snake in my animal barn, but we have a truce, it doesn't let me see it, I don't go looking for it, and I don't have a roent problem. I realize that most people have phobias about snakes, but live and let live whenever possible.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  12:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Dh and I came to an agreement last night, he would collect eggs until he can find and relocate the snake. Since I currently have a broken foot and can't move very fast he thought it might be better for me. Lol. Gotta love his logic. I read online last night about putting golf balls in the nesting box and the snake would ingest them and crawl off and die but this seemed cruel to me, even if it is a snake. We also discussed getting another cat. The one we have is an inside cat and he would probably invite the snake in if he thought he could get a petting. We are definitely open to all suggestions at this point.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9388 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9388 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  12:34:33 PM  Show Profile
We used to put a golf ball in the nests but that was when the hens were first laying and did it so they'd get the idea about where they should be laying those eggs. Instead of us having to hunt for them. Of course, after the first egg was laid in the nesting boxes we took the golf ball out. Never heard about the golf balls and snakes.

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  07:37:24 AM  Show Profile
OMG! I would have probably yelled! We were spreading grass seed in a new turn out pen last weekend and I nearly lost it when I almost stepped on a garter snake lying in a tire rut. I know they are beneficial - but dang! This particular one must have been a male - it was nearly as thick as a garden hose and loooooonnnnngggg. My DS tried to catch it to get a better look and when it started zigging - I started zagging. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. DS and DH nearly wet themselves laughing at me. The twist - my DS has a tiny garter snake as a pet in the house! I merely tolerate it. I always check to make sure it is still in the tank - heaven know what I would do if it gets out in the house!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  08:06:01 AM  Show Profile
Denise-I read online that an egg eating snake would eat a golf ball thinking it an egg. Since he can't digest it, it would kill him. Don't know how true it is but it seems a little cruel even if it is a snake.
Lora-I can't imagine living with any kind of snake in my house. I'm afraid it would be me or the snake. Lol I'm so thankful both of my kids feel the same way about snakes as me.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  04:20:30 AM  Show Profile

I found an item on the internet that I had heard about before. It is called Snake A Way. I didn't read too much about it. Just thought I would list it on here. My neighbor...out the road...killed 2 copperheads in his back yard in the past couple of weeks. I hate snakes...any kind of snakes...When Spring first began I saw a black snake up on the hill where I can look out and see from my kitchen window. It lay on the ground close to 10 minutes before it ever left. I guess it was enjoying the warm Kentuky sunshine...Creepy!!!

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

criley
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Connie
Eldon MO
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  10:45:03 AM  Show Profile
I am having this same problem. I am missing eggs that I know were in the box the day before. :( My hen house looks pretty secure, but I am going to go thru it with a fine tooth comb and look for any openings. I just do not like those slitherers!!
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 30 2013 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Judy, I have read about snake away but have not tried it yet. I'm like you i hate snakes of any kind. If i saw a snake laying in my hard from the kitchen window i would probaly not step outside for the rest of the day, you see i would be convinced he was waiting on me. Lol

I refuse to collect eggs until the snake is gone. (DH collects them now) We have not missed anymore eggs since last week. Maybe he (the snake) knows we are on the lookout and he's just staying out of the way. We did find a hole under one of the boards that lines the perimeter of the run. (Squirrels digging in). Dh repaired the hole so maybe it will also keep our little friend out.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  06:05:51 AM  Show Profile
Snakes seem to be epidemic in hen houses right now...ugh. I've not seen a snake in ours yet, but holes in the ground and missing eggs are a telltale sign. I have golfballs in our nest boxes and the snake (if it is one) seems to know the difference between eggs and golfballs.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Snake in nesting box Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page