Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  1:02:59 PM  Show Profile
Annika - where do you find all those beautiful fashions on your Pinterest page? I would love to add some beautiful clothes like that to my wardrobe!!! I wish I could just live in your Pinterest world! SO beautiful and inspirational!!! I bet you look adorable in the garden - I never look that classy when I'm out there! LOL!

Heather - I wish I could shop at YOUR thrift store. We don't get much like that here, either, Jody! I need to re-learn how to sew so badly. My new machine is still in the box from a couple of years ago - I'm so embarrassed. My neighbor keeps promising to come and show me how to get started up again - just the basics to get going - but our schedules never seem to jive. I wanted to take lessons at a local shop, but my schedule was in conflict with theirs as well. Hopefully this summer I'll have time to just figure it all out for myself and get going. :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  1:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon/evening to you miss Nini I wish that I could live in my Pinterest world too! lol! I've found a lot of maxi dress and long skirt patterns/tutorials free on Pinterest, and am hoping to pretty up my wardrobe. I can afford thrift store and discount fabric and it'll be a faction of the cost of anything that I could find in a shop. I'm a bohemian farmgirl at heart and love long flowy clothes.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  2:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Annika - I totally understand gardening in dresses & skirts, me too! -After my back surgery, my son went out and found me a kneeling stool that folds up and has handles on the sides to help me get up off the ground because I had such a hard time giving up on my garden even though it hurt so much. You can turn it over and sit on it like a stool also. It's been a life saver. I think we should all make a road trip to Kansas and hit the Bohemian stock filled thrift shops to satisfy our Bohemian dress addiction! Look out Heather, here we come!! Shopping day! Meet you there girls! LOL! I did find a shop about an hour from where I live (close to my mom) that has a little section in that is along the Bohemian style, but whoa the prices are out there. Cheers to all you Bohemian Farmgirls! Long, flowy clothes just feel right! |
Hugs to ya all,
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile
I love the feel of my skirt on my legs as I am gardening, or doing chicken chores, or hanging laundry. I feel feminine and beautiful (never too fat) when I wear skirts and dresses and I have notices that I am treated better in public when I am in a skirt. I always try to wear a skirt to church except for when the cold and wind and snow are too much.
I have a new word for us! we are not necessarily feminists, but we are FEMININEists!
Try saying that, I'm a fem- in -in -ist!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

my doTerra essential oils online store:
http://www.doterra.myvoffice.com/tracyajohnson/

I sing because I'm happy; I sing because I'm free!
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches over me.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  2:50:06 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE THAT, TRACY!!! You ROCK, Farmgirl!!! You simply ROCK! :)

It's just so good to be a girl! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  8:00:38 PM  Show Profile
Femininenst - I LOVE it!!!

I love wool! Visit my website: www.heartfeltwool.com
Blogging successes and failures at: www.thegrastysyarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  04:42:49 AM  Show Profile
I love your story, Ninibini! That is so cute that the young girl saw you as dressing up.

I started wearing cool cotton dresses in the summer last year. (I'd been mostly a jeans and t-shirt girl)when I tried my hand at designing my own clothes. (I'm quite tall and can't just go into a local store and buy clothes which makes it extra-expensive, too.) Dresses/skirts were the easiest thing to design so I made myself a maxi-skirt and two simple sleeveless cotton dresses. I wore them on vacation and to my surprise got compliments on them!

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

infinite_wallflower
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Ciara
Northglenn Colorado
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  10:22:07 AM  Show Profile
I think wearing dresses in public is MUCH more classier than wearing jeans and such. A lot of people come up to me all the time with compliments on where I bought my dresses/skirts. It sets the mood for me that just makes me feel better, plus I think more highly of myself because it makes everyday seem like a special occasion. If it makes you feel like your best self then go for it! All that matters is how you feel when you look in the mirror.

-We All Have A Story To Tell-
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  3:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Ciara, I agree. And I noticed we are neighbors (almost). Northglenn isn't that far from me. Have you been a Farmgirl a long time?

Jo
Farmgirl Sister #5000

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile
I have started wearing dressy clothes when I go out shopping. I mean dresses not dress slacks. I put on my heels or flats because sometimes flats are just more comfy, and off I go to the grocery store. You see almost no women in dresses at the grocers here. But it's nice feel so girly and feminine while shopping for things for my family. I love it!

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  7:42:29 PM  Show Profile
hehe I used to be a flats only gal, till I discovered Dansko! I can't say that I wear high heels now, but I do have some might comfy shoes that are not flats! :) hehe

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  6:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi, just saw this post and wanted to chime in. I have been wearing skirts and dresses lately, and love them :-) All of mine are Thrift store finds. I have found that going out in them I too m a little uncomfortable, so Nini, I totally relate to what yo are saying. I get lots of compliments :-) . For me, I think it is the fact that I have worn jeans/capris for so many years, its just somthing different!
I sure would love to find a great skirt and dress pattern.
Thanks for this great topic.
I cleaned our front porch today (de pollened) in a dress. I was soaked when I finished :-)
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  03:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh My Nini :-) Just seen this post & have to chime in. I wear dresses almost the whole summer. I started a few years back while visiting the son in AZ & have never stopped. I like the look of looking like a gal & they are soooo comfortable, not to mention, the compliments one receives ;-) Now in the winter I go back to wearing jeans & cowgirl boots, Love my boots too much not to wear them. I would wear them with my dresses but I'm a bit long in the tooth. I like the look though,maybe with my long skirts, I could pull it off ;-)

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  03:16:21 AM  Show Profile
RUTHIE! HIIIIIII!!! How good to "see" you!!! How ARE you?!!! We have so much catching up to do!!! I've missed you!!!

Maybe you're right - maybe it's just that I've been wearing jeans and capris for so long, too. I just feel so much more vulnerable when I head out to the grocery store, etc., in a dress or skirt - it's so weird! :)

I've been out in the garden wearing my dresses. It really does feel so much cooler when I'm out there in my dresses. (Ventilation - need I say more?) It's just a little disquieting to see all the spiders scattering when I step out onto the straw-covered beds. I have to keep telling myself that they are more afraid of me than I am of them, and that the last thing they're going to want to do is run up my skirt! I can always wear leggings underneath, I suppose. :) We also have a whole bunch of bees and wasps zipping around out there trying to stake their territory when I'm out hanging clothes. (Thank goodness - last year we had nary a one!) When they fly high at my head, it's one thing, but when they go low to the cool grass, I start to get nervous. I REALLY don't want to get stung under my skirt, either! Imagine what it must've been like in the "old days" wearing a long to-the-ground skirt out in the fields! I have no room to complain AT all! LOL!

I wear Birkenstock clogs... They were popular when I was in middle school, and they just "stuck." They're so comfortable. I do wear heels to Church and whenever the occasion calls, but other than that, you'll rarely catch me in anything other than my Birks... I hardly wear sneakers at all anymore, either! And I really used to love my white canvas slip-ons! I just have high arches and need more support, especially now that I'm getting older. Gotta take care of my feet!

Happy day, girls!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  08:11:08 AM  Show Profile
MADDIE! HIIIIIIII!!! Where have you been? I was just looking at My Little Pony and thinking about you yesterday!!! SO good to "see" you!!! I would love to own a pair of cowboy boots! You definitely COULD wear them with skirts! I bet that'd look adorable!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  07:14:09 AM  Show Profile
Really enjoying this topic girls. I hadn't worn dresses/skirts in years but had surgery as some of you did, and had to wear them out of convenience. I LOVED it but since recuperating I went back to my old ways. There was a definite sense of people being more respectful in general. Shopping here is a true challenge, I wear plus size and even our local JC Penney discontinued their women's dept. I know the company is struggling but what they don't realize is when I shop I do so for my entire family and at Christmas I shop for SIX nieces. They just lost themselves a good customer. I've got to get to that sewing machine. It's a challenge finding good quality affordable fabric here as well, but I've been known to make things from bedsheets, tablecloths, take apart other clothing to make something else, etc. I do have a question for you gals and would like feedback. A while back I dressed up for a wedding and put on pantyhose (ugg I know). My daughter had a cow and said "You can't wear those mom they're SO out of style"! Mind you my legs are scarred, veiny, moley and usually bruised here and there (delightful visual I know). I was horrified at the idea of not wearing hose. Plus when my feet sweat inside my shoes it's uncomfortable. I suppose dousing the shoes with powder would help. Do any of you wear hose at all? Naturally in the summer with sandals and flip flops not but otherwise? Researched online and found hose are making a "comeback". Kate Middleton was spotted wearing them so many have gone back to pantyhose. Just curious what you think about hose, not so much that I'm "pro-hose" LOL, I was just surprised at my daughters utter horror that I had them on! If my legs were pretty and smooth and tanned it wouldn't matter as much. I found this pretty skirt from Lane Bryant, I'm certain I could make one very similar. I wouldn't wear it for yard/garden work of course.

Farmgirl #522

Edited by - neeter302 on May 03 2013 08:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  08:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
This is such a great topic that I too must add my two cents. Dresses have always been my favorite type of clothing but it seems I have been wearing jeans or slacks most of the time for the past 10+ years. It's been difficult to find dresses that both fit right and look good since I no longer have a "girlish" figure. I recently found patterns on-line that are a style that I know looks good on me, and are simple to make. It's www.sewingpatterns.com there is more selection than at the fabric store, prices are fair, and patterns are downloadable and I just bought enough fabric for 3 cotton summer dresses which I plan to make this weekend.

Denise: I don't know if you are old enough to remember the days when we always "dressed up" just to go shopping. My husband would even wear a coat and tie!

It is so sad to go shopping and see people going out in pajamas and flip-flops.

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
www.klbobbittphotography.com

/www.facebook.com/KlBobbittPhotography
Go to Top of Page

MayFay
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Stephanie
MO
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  08:24:49 AM  Show Profile
I love dresses. I wear them any time the weather lets me! I feel much more attractive in them, and I find it much cheaper to buy a dress than pants and a top for one outfit.
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
Love my Danskos, they are so comfy. and they are have some wonderful new spring sytles.
another good one is SpringSteps. some of the comfiest, neatest styles in sandals, boots and shoes. technically speaking, i am not supposed to wear any height of heel, bad knees. but i feel so much better when i have some heel on my shoes. and it's not like i wear them every day. i try to be aware of alternating the height from day to day.
i love my skirts and blouses. don't have many "dresses" per se. i am short waisted, and have never been able to get them to fit quite right. but a skirt and a top. i can do lots of stuff with that. People at work comment when i wear pants. and as the weather (hopefully) gets warmer, a skirt is cooler than a pair of pants, especailly jeans.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  10:34:16 AM  Show Profile
Kathleen thanks for that link, I'm definitely checking it out! I have some Danskos MaryJanes that I LOVE!

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  4:20:39 PM  Show Profile
I decided to wear only skirts/dresses last May while I waited for the news on weather I had breast cancer - I did not ! - and found I love wearing them. So I only wear pants/jeans on the motorcycle and when working in the garden on my knees.

Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Lady McBeth
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Beth
Cleveland TX
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  06:39:20 AM  Show Profile
I pretty much have to wear jeans or shorts when I work because I work with horses and they are just really not practical riding. But as soon as I come in the house I shower and put on a dress. They are far more comfortable. I wear them everywhere except to work. I have even had people in stores comment on how fun they are and how comfortable they look. I make my own dresses and sometime I make them using nightgown patterns and adding pockets and funky prints so they look like sun dresses. I love them.

When I count my Blessings I count my horse twice.
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  07:06:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness what a fun topic!! I've been thinking about putting on a skirt instead of jeans lately, but have been a bit intimated to do it. I don't see anyone wearing skirts or dresses when I go to town but after reading this thread I've gained some confidence. Not sure what I'll do when I work out in the yard, I'll probably still wear jeans or something more comfortable. I've been wanting to feel more feminine lately and after wearing my jeans yesterday and the band cutting into my stomach, finding this thread was providential, and Tracy I love your new word :))))
My 24 year old daughter has worn dresses and skirts for many years now and she looks so darn cute in them!

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I've lived in an urban area most my life, but now I'm living in a rural area up on a ridge in the Ocooch Mountains in Southwest Wisconsin, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  08:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Charlotte! I've never heard of Danskos before! Just looked them up - love them! Lots of cute styles! Maybe I'll try a pair in the fall... how true to size are they???

Beth - I know what you mean... I have been wearing capris out in the garden just because I don't want anything crawling up my skirt and biting me - we have a lot of spiders out there! But as soon as I take a hot shower, I'm in my comfy cotton dress and feel so much better. What a neat idea to use nightgown patterns - I never would've thought of that!

Judy - I still feel a little weird wearing a dress to the grocery store or mall... Unless it's after church, of course. I really don't know why I feel that way - it's kind of silly, really. But I've been wearing my dresses much more often whenever I go out, especially now that the warmer weather is here. They just feel so much better than jeans or capris. Funny, I never really realized it until now, but I don't even wear shorts out in public. Hmmm...

Can any of you recommend a good website for dresses? Also, if you have any special patterns you'd like to recommend, I'd really appreciate it!

Happy day!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2013 :  11:31:39 AM  Show Profile
This is an awesome thread. I sit here in my gypsy skirt and silk long johns as I read these posts. Yes I am at work for a bit longer but will not likely change when I get home either. If I wear long skirts or anything fairly casual I do not wear hosiery. If I'm home or grocery shopping it will always be long johns or nothing in the hot summer months...except I actually cut off thin long johns to above the knee and use those instead of modern undies around the house. They are comfortable, breathable,less riding,shifting and creeping and no chafing (with or without powder). Monkey butt is a great product though, I would agree, and my son who is an avid teenage athlete also uses it before he has to don the protective gear to keep chafing under control of that kind as well..works great!

Anita, I personally (being old school perhaps)however think one should not go to a dress up event of any type without hoisiery. Call me crazy but I have not gone to a wedding, funeral, interview or gala event anywhere without some sort of control-top or spandex something-or other reigning in all this "goodness" and "not-so goodness" since I was 12! I know it has been the trending thng for quite some time but if your shoe has a heel over an inch and it isn't a boot...mama says wear hose. LOL I'm not antique yet(let alone ancient) but "back in my younger day" as they say girls and ladies who wore dressy dresses and high-heels with no hose were labelled in a most unbecoming way. I'm not at all saying it is right or polite but for me some habits are too hard to break. Teehee
At home I can o anything in my skivvies and a skirt that I can do in jeans but go berry briar hopping I just always make sure I have on my knickers so that if I take a tumble or hike a leg I'm covered :) Happy dress and skirt wearing gals...oh so comfy. Paired with some long johns and thermal sockies? Yeah buddy..it is hard to beat. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Wearing Dresses Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page