True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  12:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Just Say No
To Crack

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Feb 24 2013 12:15:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile
and I'm old too! So I keep pants/skirts waist high, and shirts kind of low! I don't like my shirts TOO long cause I'm short, but I do like them to go down to at least half way between my waist and where my legs begin. (cuts my stomach in half making it not look so large!). But, if my pants go up to my waist and my shirt goes below my waist quite a bit (inches!) I have enough overlap, I dont' think I've EVER had crack showing! Well, my pants are ABOVE the crack as it is! But, then like I said, my shirts also go far down too! Too much over lapping to ever get a peek of my crack in public! I think it's very...odd, and low class looking.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  1:21:16 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Right, Lisa? They say crack kills... for a reason!

I can't believe that women are now finding that look to be fashionable, Heather... Isn't that just awful! If ANY part of that area was showing even by accident, I'd probably perish from embarrassment!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  3:30:25 PM  Show Profile
I had to giggle yesterday. I was wandering through the gun show by myself, looking at books and medical supplies, no clue where Dh had gone off to. I was wearing a dress, hair down (which is really unusual for me- it's very fine, and waist length and usually up in a french twist.) This nice older gentleman actually came up and complimented me! He said he thought I had lovely hair. Made me smile!

Honestly, I think it was because I was actually dressed like a girl and actually stood out. Granted the ratio of male to female was 4 to 1, so I suppose I stood out anyway, but I don't remember seeing another woman there dressed in any-way-feminine. I started paying attention, more guys said "excuse me", waited for me to go through a door, etc. It was an interesting social experiment after replying to this discussion earlier this week. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love the little cotton dresses that come out every year. I wear them when it gets about 60. Comfy and cool. I bring them when we travel because they bunch down to nothing and can be washed out in the shower. I love them. And the selection of pretty colors and prints is awesome. They usually hit me right about knee length or a little longer. I just pair them with flip flops/sandals and I am set to go.

Go to Top of Page

fromscratchhomemadelife
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Cassi
Western Middle TN
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  12:28:32 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad I got on this forum today! I have been considering making the switch to all skirts/dresses for awhile now. I haven't because of the whole "What will my friends say?!?!" business. I trying desperately to get out of the habit of caring so much about what others think of me. The replies are giving me the courage to make the switch. I am sewing now and made my Easter skirt (as well as my 14 month old's Easter dress), so I think I will work up some more easy peasy skirts to have around this Spring/Summer. :) Thank you so much for writing this! I am not necessarily called by God to wear the skirts (I am very religious...I just don't think that is in play here) but more the comfort angle. I am soooooo much more comfy in skirts. I can move, breathe, feel the breeze ;) haha. I don't feel like I am constantly pulling the back of my skirts up like I am in my jeans (crack kills, y'all.) I hate the way jeans turn my mama pooch into a busted can of biscuits nowadays. I've lost a ton of weight, but am still very flabby about the belly. I feel I look skinnier in the skirts than I do in the jeans/slacks. :)

Cassi
Farmgirl #4371

http://fromscratchourhomemadelife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnHeart
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Autumn
New Albany IN
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2013 :  12:59:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fromscratchhomemadelife

I hate the way jeans turn my mama pooch into a busted can of biscuits nowadays. I've lost a ton of weight, but am still very flabby about the belly. I feel I look skinnier in the skirts than I do in the jeans/slacks. :)

Cassi
Farmgirl #4371

Oh, Cassi! LOL LOL LOL I feel the exact same way, but I really love the way you put it. LOL! A busted can of biscuits!!! I'm seriously cracking up!

Anyway, I have three kids, 6, 3, and 9 months. To say that I have a mama pooch is an understatement. In fact, if I don't consciously suck in my gut, I could pass as being 6 months pregnant - no joke.

A few years ago, I wouldn't have been caught dead in a skirt or dress, unless I was going to a funeral. Then, I found a few very casual cotton sundresses one year and began to wear them. Everyone I knew would always ask, "Why are you so dressed up?" when they saw me wearing one, even though I wore flip flops or sandals (I only wear my wedding rings, and rarely ever put on makeup) and had my hair in a ponytail. It infuriated me! What I wear is nobody's business!

So, maybe two years ago, I made it a point to start wearing more skirts. I don't wear dresses often, simply because I'm a nursing mama (and have been continuously for over 3 years, and for 2 years before that) and it's hard to find a suitable dress that is easy to nurse in and modest enough so my gigantic boobs aren't hanging out.

Now, in the summer I prefer skirts. Always. Because of my babies, my body is an odd shape; and because of nursing, I'm holding onto a few pounds that just won't go away until I'm finished. My belly area is a size 12 or so, but my butt/legs are a size 8. Skirts with elastic make me look much better than shorts or jeans. I think I own maybe one pair of shorts, and they rarely get worn.

I'd love to find some dresses that have easy access to nurse in. And I'd love to make more of my own skirts. I think I'll make that a goal for this summer!

I love wool! Visit my website at www.heartfeltwool.com to see my creations!
Go to Top of Page

fromscratchhomemadelife
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Cassi
Western Middle TN
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  07:03:20 AM  Show Profile
haha thanks, Autumn! I wish I could take full credit for it, but I cannot. I saw it on a meme thingamajig on Pinterest. :)

I mainly wear skirts as well due to the breastfeeding baby business. My youngest is just 14 months. It's just way easier to be modest while breastfeeding in a skirt. I notice the dresses I do have I would feel the need to cover while breastfeeding. That's not always convenient with a nursing toddler, haha.

Cassi
Farmgirl #4371

Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  11:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
hi ladies
i pretty much wear only skirts with sandals in the warmer months and boots in the winter. i refuse to pay the price for jeans that fit me. i am short waisted and long legged. i love my skirts, they are comfortable, mostly elastic becsuae i can't have anything tight around my waist either. and our local GW always has loads of nice ones cheap.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2013 :  1:02:56 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh my goodness! I'm with Autumn, Cassi - that is hysterical! SO true! ;)

I haven't worn anything but dresses and skirts since starting this post; but the other day, I decided to put my jeans on. Yes, they were a little snug after the holiday, but man-oh-man, I just don't like wearing them anymore! They actually make me start to feel achy all over. After two hours, I couldn't take it any longer and slipped right into one of my dresses. Then, since we have been having such warm, summery weather, I threw on a pair of crop jeans yesterday before heading out to the garden in the morning. They fit fine, but as the day progressed, I started feeling achy all-over again. By the end of the day I was back in a dress. What is up with that?! Oh, well... No biggie... The dresses looked better on, anyhow. ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 10 2013 1:05:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  6:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Looks like this is a couple months back for these posts, hope I'm not too late in commenting, but have to comment because I am such a HUGE fan of dresses & skirts and all that is GIRLIE! Love love love to be a girl. Now mind you I have had my days of hunting, fishing and other Tomboy activities (cuz we girls can do it!!) but I am most fond of dresses. I have had all kinds of jeans -- hiphuggers in high school, high waisted when those were "in" and tight cowgirl jeans in my dancing days, but give me a dress and I am right at home! I am a girl, after all and want to feel like a girl (ok Woman!). Not that I don't feel like a girl in regular 'ol low rise Levis and a pair of hiking boots and a ballcap, but I still love my dresses. I have ever since I was 3 years old and mama put me and my brother in matching jeans and Ked tennis shoes (cuz we were so close in age that she could pass us off as twins) but she says I wouldn't stay in the jeans. She would turn around and there I was in my dress, pettie coats slip, little lacey socks and patent leather Mary Janes asking for a spoon to go dig in the dirt! I am still that way -- a dress in the garden,,, oh yeah,,, on any day of the week. :) I wear dresses when its snowing to beat the banchies outside -- I just layer up underneath and slip on some boots and I'm good to go. I still have jeans in my closet, but rarely wear them. I just got too uncomfortable after I had my spine rebuilt and have never felt comfortable in them again. Everyone at work has noticed and commented that I only wear dresses and when I have gone to work in leggings and sweaters with boots, I get lots of comments that I am NOT wearing a dress? LOL... I just like being me. I wear what makes me feel good. And color is very important -- each day is different, some days is an absolute must that I wear the right color to feel confident or calm. Is that weird? I don't know. But I know how it makes me feel, so I listen to my emotions and go with the flow. Sometimes I worry that I look silly and ask my husband if I do so I don't go out looking like a dork, but I know he would never tell me if I do look silly, so I have to go with my gut and decide. Hahaha..... Ya know, we just have to do what feels right, what is respectable and what our hearts tells us. Right? At least that's how I feel. I most certainly would not wear jeans or any other type of clothing that actually showed off my "pencil holder" (or crack) for all the world to see! NO WAY! I don't understand the younger folk that run around in their slippers and jammies in the grocery store, but I guess some day they will grow up and think back and realize that probably wasn't the wisest thing they ever did. We can only hope. Sigh. For all I know they probably wonder why I wear what I wear. LOL... life is too short. Have fun and wear what is right for you. Be your beautiful self ladies!!
Hugs and more hugs!
Jo
Farmgirl Sister #5000

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  7:19:15 PM  Show Profile
I wear skirts mainly cause they are easiest to sew up and make (very little fabric too!). But, I have made a few nursing dresses. I was nursing DD2 and Preggo with DS here...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/SewInLove/Crafts/Nursing%20Clothes/IMG_2605.jpg

This woman's picture shows a better example of the same dress-
http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/38533

I also make ELD dresses (made for maternity and/or nursing.

I have made probably a dozen ELD full length slips, and a few sun dress from the "slip" pattern. Even with skirts I wear the full slip because it makes your skirt and clothes skim over the "busted can of biscuits" and you get a better over all profile.

Here's a example of one I made-
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/SewInLove/Crafts/Nursing%20Clothes/raspberry.jpg

I think I will make a few more of these sun dresses, super easy to make! I have made the slip version several times like I said.

In the slip it's just a long extended arm home that you move over to nurse baby. In the above "sundress", it's two princess seams that open to the side and then if you had the slip on too, you would pull the slip over and walla feeding baby!

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  10:13:41 PM  Show Profile
What a fun topic! I also with an ankle/leg injury then arthritis deal with leg swelling and also wear an orthotic ankle brace. So at best I need like a bell bottom pant. Last year I got 4 skirts, 2 kinda dressy fabric and 2 a solid cotton. All skirts are long to my ankles and very flared like the peasant skirts. I feel more comfortable and my adult daughters call me their 'bohemian mama' lol!

I hope to get a few more for spring and summer. And perhaps a flared jeans skirt.

I enjoy them. I'm still in loose knit pants at home tho most of the time!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

http://www.grannysbirds.com/

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  6:49:41 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be able to wear skirts in the summer too. I like the simpler skirts, kind of like
Baby wore at the beginning if Dirty Dancing. But I'm over weight and it makes the top of
my thighs sore to be rubbing together all day. TMI I know, sorry :) any suggestions to help
a chubby farmgirl?

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  8:14:39 PM  Show Profile
powder and those pant things you used to see people wear...pantaloons?

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  02:31:34 AM  Show Profile
I saw some Monkey Butt powder for women at Tractor Supply the other day.
I'll have to give it a try.
I feel more girlie and "back in the olden days" when I wear skirts. Plus DH likes it.
Well I guess it's time to find a pattern I like and get out my sewing machine!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  03:08:27 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Our doctor recommended Monkey Butt for diaper rash when our son was a baby - I had forgotten all about that! When he first mentioned it, I thought he was joking! But it sure works! :) Lightweight exercise bike shorts or lightweight legging-type tights underneath might be helpful, too.

The other day I happened to click on Annika's Pinterest link - oh my gosh, have you girls seen it? If I could climb into her Pinterest world, I think I would be in Heaven! She has the most amazing selection of Bohemian-style dresses and skirts... Oh my gosh, absolutely beautiful! Now THOSE are dresses and skirts! Annika - if you're out there, you have really inspired my feminine side!!! Girls, you have to find her posts and check out the link!

Hugs -

nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  04:16:19 AM  Show Profile
Nini, glad to hear the powder works good I will pick some up this weekend. I'll also look for the shorts.
I love Pinterest, I'm going to try and find Annika. I spend my lunch breaks on Pinterest most everyday.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  05:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
I love the dresses you posted. Very simple but pretty and I think
they would be pretty if glammed up too.
thank you for sharing.
And I too, will be checking Annika's pinterest page. I have a closet
full of bohemian style skirts and can never have enough, but my
farorite is a gathered, 5 tier denim skirt with a drawstring waist.
It always fits perfect!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  06:03:52 AM  Show Profile
I wore dresses for years. I always liked the jumpers till one day my daughter made a comment about wearing refrigerator dresses, you know the ones straight with no shape to them. After that I went on WW and though I do wear jeans more than I used to I still wear dresses and skirts. Always on Sunday to church and in the summer I wear them most of the time. We heat with wood and there can be some cool spots so I do wear pants in the winter. Honey likes me to wear the dresses, but he prefers me to wear which ever I am most comfortable in. We have oodles of ticks around here in the Spring so I try to stick with the long pants till summertime.

Enjoy your day everyone!

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 18 2013 4:20:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  2:01:46 PM  Show Profile
I think pantaloons would help your problems too Denise-the cold-make flannel ones, summer/ticks make gauze ones.

Thanks about my nursing dresses, I need to add some really big lace Im thinking!

We love anti monkey butt power, you do't have to get the one for women/babies etc, they all work the same...so what ever you find of it use it. The calimine in them is what really helps.

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  6:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhh, yeeeessssss! The Bohemian style is the best! Jenne, I'm so jealous you have a closet full! I didn't know that style was called Bohemian...(lol) I have been buying that style for years and years not knowing it had an actual name. But I have only purchased pieces here and there wherever I have found them and could afford them at the time. I had no idea you could find so much online!! I need to spend more time on my computer (okay, maybe in the winter when I'm not outdoors). Maybe I need to learn to make some! Thanks for sharing ladies!

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  6:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Jody skirts are super simple to make. you could so do it. I find a lot of bohemian ones though really too cheap to make myself. Thrifts always have a ton of them!

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  10:53:51 AM  Show Profile
WOW? Really,Heather, you find a lot of them at thrift stores? Nice! I have never made a garment to wear before. My sewing experience so far has only been embroidery and repairing things by hand sewing. About a year ago, I decided it was time to learn to quilt and realized most quilters use a machine and ended up buying one. I had to learn to use a machine and quilt at the same time. LOL.... But so far I have only made a table runner, a lap size quilt (not done yet). So tackling a piece of clothing sounds tricky for me. But I'm willing to try. It would be great to make what I like. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  11:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I live in long dresses and skirts. I have pretty scared up legs and I love the look and feel of long dresses any way. I just tuck the up when I'm working in the garden. I have to sit on a up-turned large paint bucket to garden any way due to the arthritis and cant kneel so my dresses seldom get very dirty. I tend to wear long cotton dresses or jumpers to garden and they clean easily. It is entirely common to see me out in the garden in mud boots, a long dress and a sun hat

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Wearing Dresses Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: