True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  9:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

A few months ago (well, maybe a bit longer), I had a health issue which made wearing shorts and jeans - pretty much anything that snapped, button and/or zipped at the waist - pretty darned uncomfortable. Long story short, I started wearing a lot of lose cotton knit dresses and denim skirts at home, saving the jeans and shorts (in appropriate weather, of course!) for trips out to the grocery store, etc. You know what? I LOVE wearing dresses and skirts! No matter what I'm doing - whether gardening or cleaning or cooking or hanging out laundry or... well doing ANYTHING, really - I am very comfortable in them. As a matter of fact, I really don't enjoy wearing my jeans very much at all anymore. I mean, they have a purpose, and I'm sure I'll still need them or want to wear them on occasion; but to me, they seem very binding and restrictive now. They're plum uncomfortable and I find them very inhibiting. I really thought once winter hit, I'd be miserable with a dress on, but when the chill starts to be more than I want to bear, I just put on some knit leggings underneath. Easy peasy! Problem solved!

The funny thing is, I hadn't realized just how often I had been wearing dresses - or how others have been noticing me wearing them, rather - until last weekend when I had some friends over for a mother/daughter tea. All the moms and daughters came, as usual, wearing jeans and sweaters, but one of the little girls came all dolled up in a cute little dress, complete with a bow in her hair and her favorite shiney patent leather dress shoes. I commented how pretty she looked, and she just beamed. She told me that she dressed up because she knew I'd be dressed up, too. She said she just "loves it so much" how I wear dresses all the time - that I always looked so pretty and girly. I absolutely blushed! I hadn't really given it a thought! And then I remembered how my foster daughter had recently commented how "cute" my "dress outfits" are. I honestly didn't even realize that people noticed! Is it really that big of a deal?

Later on, I asked my hubby what he thought about my dresses - did he think I was looking like, as one of my good friends would say, an old "Studda Bubba?" Or, more like the girls back home would say, an old "fish wife?" He emphatically shook his head no and said he LOVES that I've been wearing dresses and how I look in them! He said I look good in whatever I wear (trust me - he was only trying to win points and cover himself in case he was walking into a trap and going to later fully regret his words - LOL!), but if I like wearing dresses, he really likes me in them, too! Then our son chimed in that he and his friends like how I dress, too, and that one of his buddies commented he wished his Mom dressed more like a girl the way I do! I was floored! I never realized wearing dresses could be such a big deal!

Having said that, the weird thing is that I do feel very self-conscious about wearing dresses out in public (other than church or to a special event, of course). For example, whenever we head out to the grocery store, without thinking about it, I run right upstairs and change into my jeans. My son pointed it out the other day, and wondered why I do that? How absolutely weird - I honestly don't know! Why IS that, I wonder? Force of habit, maybe? I don't have a clue! Why on earth would I feel the need to put on jeans to go to the store? It's not like I'm wearing my pajamas!!! Do any of you feel that way, too?

I don't think I ever really gave any thought to this before... I certainly never intended to start a conversation about it with friends and family. And I surely didn't do it to make my husband feel like he might be seen as a sexist for liking that I wear them or how I look in them, either! Good gravy! I just started wearing them because it was more comfortable! If I were to be totally honest, though, yes, it does make me feel a little bit more feminine and girly to wear them. I do like that I can accomplish most of my chores in a comfortable dress... I mean, it's not like I'm donning pearls and sporting high heels when I'm cleaning or anything; but I don't NEED to wear my jeans to get the job done, you know? And I'll admit it: I truly have noticed my guys treat me a little bit sweeter lately; and they DO do more for me around the house without being asked - I kind of like that! But I surely don't mean to manipulate them by wearing dresses - not at all! Like I said, I can do just about anything in a dress...I just might not enjoy changing the oil in one, you know? LOL!

So, what do you all think about it? Do you think wearing dresses and skirts is a big deal? Do you wear dresses and skirts on a regular basis, or have you been wearing them a little more often than you used to? Does wearing dresses make you feel different at all? Do you feel funny wearing them out to, say, the grocery store? How do your family and friends feel about it? Do you get an unusual reaction from others when you do wear them? Do you find people treat you differently? Just wondering... I just find this whole subject quite fascinating! :)

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 17 2013 10:04:31 PM

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  9:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nini!

I wear nothing but dresses and skirts. And I've done everything in dresses, from hunting and hiking, biking, swimming, and yes even changed the oil in a skirt. I know of a lady that even makes ski-skirts! I don't do it for an religious reasons. I just decided early on that I feel more lady like in a dress. My family doesn't say anything negative. But my sister does notice when a man holds open a door for me, and she (who wears mostly wears jeans) doesn't get the same treatment. In fact, one Sunday she went to the store after church, in a dress, and a man held open the door! She called me just laughing!

I feel like society just sees a lady in a dress and it reminds them of manners and older times. The reaction is just ingrained, hold open the door for a lady, watch your language around a lady, throw your coat down over a puddle for a lady. (Ok, that has never happened to me, but wouldn't it be so cool!)

I'll be looking forward to see other's opinions!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2013 :  10:04:11 PM  Show Profile
Shanda - that makes me so happy to hear! I love that you wear dresses and skirts all the time! I know exactly what you mean - it really does make you feel more like a lady! And YES! My guys always open doors for me, but my son's friends, especially were lacking in that area. Since this whole "revelation" came to me last week, however, I did start to notice that the kids have been stepping aside for me when passing through doorways in the house, and that they have been holding doors open for me when they hadn't before! My gosh! That's so funny! I know that some women might be bothered by such a gesture, but I love it! My grandfather was SUCH a gentleman - he'd never THINK of stepping through a door before a woman, or ever using off-color language or anything like that! Isn't it amazing how things have changed - and how that quickly changes depending upon how a woman is dressed! SO interesting!

BTW - I actually did have a man throw his coat down over a puddle for me once back in college. He was a Marine, and one of the most gentlemanliest, manly men I have ever known. He treated me like a queen. (But it was a little much; almost suffocating, really. I'm only just a real girl, after all.) I sure didn't trample on his coat, though...perish the thought! I let him swoop me up in his arms to carry me instead! Very "Officer and a Gentleman," and truly a fond memory, for sure! :)

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 17 2013 10:06:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  03:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
Okay, I just read this ... and thought I would chime in real quick before I head out to the barn. Which I might add is only 1 of 2 (work being #2) places that I ever wear jeans.
You are right, jeans are very uncomfortable, no matter what cut I try they still are hard to wear. Now with that being said, I do wear a lot of shorts around the house in the spring summer to mow,work in the garden and so on ... but when I go anywhere out, just out ... I wear skirts or cotton /gauze dresses paired with flip flops or sandals ... does not make them look so dressy, but more casual ... Of course I don't wear make up or jewelry (except my wb) so it appears more casual I guess, so nobody thinks anything of it. I find them to be a lot cooler than shorts. Of course I do feel much more "at home" in skirts or dresses ... guess that comes from many many years work in an office.
Wear what you like and what makes you happy.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  07:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I usually agree with you, however...... it has been years since I wore a dress. I like jeans!!!!!!!!! But- if my dear Teri can wear a dress, then, OKAY, tomorrow I will put on a skirt. I'll give it a try. LOL. Hugs to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  08:48:09 AM  Show Profile
When growing up I wa only allowed to wear jeans or pants at hike. If we went out or to school I was required to wear a dress/skirt or sometimes dress slacks. My father was a firm believer that girls will look and act like girls. When I married my first husband, he preferred dresses and skirts. And longer hair. But I started westing pants more often when chasing babies. But never jeans. Always a dress slack with a nice top.

My current hubby loves jeans. And I do west them when working in the barn or hauling wood. I mostly wear dress pants in winter and skorts/sundresses in the summer.

I like looking feminine. I don't believe we were created ti be the same as men. We are the softer version.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  09:02:38 AM  Show Profile
I started wearing skirts--like peasant skirts, I think they are called--when I had knee surgery and my leg was all swollen up and I couldn't get my jeans on. I really enjoyed the look and the feel too. I never wore jeans until way way into my marraige--slacks or dresses but not Levi type jeans. I switch back and forth now. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nini' this is an interesting subject. I have been thinking about going back to wearing scooter skirts and more comfortable out fits. My husband loves me in jeans. I have been having a lot of back problems and i just think my jeans seem to make it worse. I love wearing my night gowns in the evening. I do not wear pajamas except maybe a couple of times in the winter. I stay in my night gown as long as i can in the mornings. But that is not very long because all the men start coming in for work. Some of them sit in the office for a bit with my husband in the morning which is right next to the kitchen. My husband is not real fond of me running around in front of them in my robe and night gown. So I have been looking around lately for something more comfortable to start wearing. I like the knee length or right above the knee skirts or dresses. I am a little short so I have to shop in the petite section. Size 12 to 14. Blah...I need to lose some weight. I feel comfortable in a size 8 or 9. Anyways maybe I will start looking at the dresses and skirts. I use to wear casual skirts in my twenties with just a plain shirt that matched in color. All my friends wear jeans I wonder what they will say. Hum well we will see.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love dresses and skirts. I was diagnosed with arthritis a few years ago, so anything that binds, pinches or just is uncomfortable is a no go for me. I am working on a skirt pattern, just a simple pull up type, to the knee and I am going to try to make a simple wrap dress. If I could find the nice cotton 1940-50's type, I would be happy girl.

I don't think I ever notice how I am reacted to in public. I always just feel pretty. :)

I am very plain jane, wearing just a simple necklace, diamond studs and my WB. I usually wear a plain top, sometimes a button down.

For work, I was wearing the classic sheath dress, with a little jacket or cardigan over the top and kitten heels. I do think people treated me with more respect and kindness. Just my observation.

Edited by - catscharm74 on Feb 18 2013 09:30:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  1:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi---It is interesting how as I have gotten older I too have been wearing loose fitting clothes. First, I did away with the bra at home after reading MJF article on how it traps toxins in the lymph glands and within a few weeks my breast swelling and tenderness went away. Next, because of incontinence I did away with underwear so I could run quick to tinkle (I'm not be able to pull down the undies quick enough) and then next I converted to peasant skirts that allow a quick lift. One would begin to think I am "hippied out" by the looks of me, (Oh yes, I wear the birkenstocks even with socks sometimes!) but in reality I am having to dress for my health issues. At least I am not in a nightgown all day...but now that I think about it, I remember growing up, all the middle-aged stay at home women wore the basic shift housedress. Cotton comfort, loose with no belts, zippers, etc. I think it allowed you to move around, clean, lounge, stay cool, and probably accommodated menses and bathroom stops easily. Yes, I can "clean up good and modern" but around the homefront I often look like I'm a wash woman or just got back from camping. In my older years comfort takes priority over all else until I have to go into my "public" personna out of respect for others. I am one that has always been for "mom jeans". HA! Take care now. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile
I love my flowey white skirts in the summer, and other skirts and dresses the rest of the year. :)

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2013 :  9:38:00 PM  Show Profile
I love skirts. I spend most the summer in them! I live in a Amish/Mennonite area though so no one really thinks anything about it.

When I moved to NYC I stopped wearing them as often there, most people don't wear them there. But, even before I moved back here I started back wearing more skirts-more comfy and more me. And now that I sew my own I have a ton.

It's winter here, and I had a funeral on Saturday, it wasn't cold cold, so I just wore a wool skirt and slip, but not tights-but regular hosiery, I was warm as toast. But, if it's really cold, I put on a pair of silk (they are the most comfortable to me) long johns and wool socks and boots and again just as warm as if I had jeans on.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  07:00:53 AM  Show Profile
I only wear skirts also, due to religious reasons. I love wearing skirt, so many more options for shoes. I feel like I dress nicer on a day to day basis, some days when I have tons of work I am just wearing a nasty jean skirt and a t-shirt, but I don't like to go out looking like that. We also live in an amish and mennonite area so no one thinks anything of it. My mother back in Pittsburgh teases me about them, and tries to get me to wear jeans all the time, telling me I look frumpy and other nasty things.

But I look at it, my life has never been better since the day I started wearing skirts. I felt a calling from God that I needed to do this. Now my daughter is another story, my mother has gotten to her, my DD told me that she thinks skirts are boring and ugly, during a trip to my mom's house. It was just heartbreaking to me.

More power to those whom wear what they want, pants or skirts, life is too short to worry so much about what the world thinks you should wear.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Awe emily your mother sounds like my MIL. Too bad, I have a LOT of really FUN skirts. Maybe you could make your DD some in quilters cotton (so many really really fun prints!) that's what I have made a lot of my summer ones out of and love how fun they are. I make the twirly type for summer. (you know you spin and they spin?).

Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  09:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Nini,
I agree, nothing is more comfortable than a dress or a
skirt. I have been wearing a lot of denim jumers too.
I love how I feel in them. But I do sometimes feel
out of place in them when I go out. I also prefer to wear them with
flip flops or sandals. Now that the weather is cold, I wear
boots. No pajamas for me either. Nightgowns are so much more
comfortable. I feel prettier in a dress. I like that.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Let all that you do, be done in love. I Corinthians 16:14
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  10:31:13 AM  Show Profile
I mainly wear jumpers or skirts. I have a few dresses, but they are more for church or nicer occasions. Unless it is the middle of a hot summer day, I always have on leggings underneath... it's like warm legs and a warm blanket all in one outfit. Winter... add wool knee high socks. No nylons but sometimes tights. When I am outside working in the yard, I wear my leather workboots with my skirts. Think, Granny Clampett. LOL

Jeans/pants hurt my stomach. However, I did go to the thrift store and buy two pairs of mens jeans sized big enough to fit loosely over the hips, so the waists are "straight" up and don't bind. When I do need to wear jeans, I have those now.

I am old enough to not care what other's think of my clothing choices, although personally, I am pretty conservative anyway. The guys at the fire station have become acustomed to me wiggling into my bunker gear tucking my skirt in around my legs. Or whipping off the skirt or jumper when I have leggings on to jump into my gear.

Yesterday I had on a pair of camo army pants, the most comfortable style of pants EVER. My son came in and remarked that I must've been working in the yard, because I had on my "get work done" pants. I was chopping down black berry bushes, ergo, the need for sturdy pants instead of snagging on a flowy skirt all morning or having the thorns tear at my leggings.

Ultimately, it's comfort over societal "norms"- so funny, because it wasn't too long ago that wearing pants was basically unacceptable for girls!

Skirts, dresses, jumpers.... big fan!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  12:38:28 PM  Show Profile
You all are so great! Thank you for your comments! It's good to know that I'm not alone, and it is so interesting to hear your thoughts about this subject. I hope to hear from more of our farmgirl sisters!

Marly - you just crack me up! Wear what you like, girlfriend! I just am personally finding that dresses and skirts suit me more now. I'm sure I'll still wear my jeans on occasion, trust me! :) I don't feel less of a girl in my jeans - I just do feel more of a girl in dresses and skirts, that's all! Give it a whirl, but don't feel funny if it's not your personal style! No judgment here! :) Love you, sister!

Juanita! I DO love wearing aprons, too - and they look so nice, especially, when I'm in a dress or skirt!

Most of my casual dresses are kind of empire waisted and a-line in shape that come down to mid-calf, but I love most styles - I guess it just depends upon what suits your shape, right? I also have some really great jean skirts that I love, as well as some lovely longer dress skirts. I love the longer hemline, but that's probably because I've always been so curvy and I'm a bit taller than average. I don't like the way jeans pull and bind - you're right, Dorinda, they truly can hurt your back! And although I used to wear dress pants when I worked full-time, I've never been a big fan, but, again, that's just a personal preference - they just don't look good on me. Most women look beautiful in whatever they wear, though, so power to us all for finding our perfect style! LOL! I hadn't thought of silk long johns - great idea! I don't own any, but that sure makes sense. I'm going to have to find some! And don't feel like Granny Clampett, Angie - I happen to love that look! I have some boots like that up in the closet which I haven't worn in a while. They happen to be my favorite boots - I can't believe I had forgotten about them! Looks like I'm going to have to pull them out tonight!

Emily - I greatly respect your decision to honor His Word in this manner, and am so sorry your mother-in-law cannot appreciate your style! She is lucky to have you for a daughter-in-law, and your differences in clothing styles should not be a cause to mock or belittle you. That's just plain rude and unfortunate. Maybe it comes from the feminist movement of her generation - my husband's aunt is very much like that as well. I try to keep it to myself and just pray for her. I've never liked being defined by societal norms and opinion. She should just be honoring you as her daughter-in-law and keep her opinions to herself. And don't worry about your daughter - it's okay for her to have her own opinion. Maybe someday, though, she'll see the wisdom of your choice and the beauty in what you wear (physical and spiritual). The main thing is that she respect and love you for the wonderful person you are, plain and simple. Having said all of that, I also have to say, even though I don't wear skirts and dresses for religious reasons, this whole revelation has had me reflecting a lot about what the Bible has to say about women dressing like women and not men, and it has made me think a lot about the implications, and of who we were created to be vs. who the world tells us we are and need to be. Another conversation for another day, perhaps; but believe me, I'm really with you on this from a religious perspective! I really do admire you for this!

I'm not sure why, exactly, I feel funny about wearing skirts or dresses casually when I'm out and about running errands. I've been giving a lot of thought to this, though. I wonder if it's just that I feel more vulnerable in a skirt or dress... I'm not sure how to explain it. It's probably just a psychological conditioning... If I feel feminine and pretty in a dress, does that make me feel an inability to protect myself or lose that strength of the "can do" attitude? OR is it that when I am wearing a dress, I am finding that I am treated very differently, or, now, that people notice a girl in a dress more because she stands out in a crowd (because she's wearing something different)... maybe that makes me self-conscious and insecure? In any event, 'tis a silly notion indeed. I should just be myself, as I usually am, and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe I'll give it a go next time I head out for groceries. :)

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 19 2013 12:40:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  1:48:32 PM  Show Profile
I think you hit the name on the head with the feminist movement. I think I "threaten" a lot of feminist. But, the truth is, I am a lady, female, woman, and different then a male. I don't want to be treated like a man...I want to be treated like a lady. So while I do understand what the original intent was behind the movement, I think it got into weirdness wanting to be treated like males, when in reality we are two different creatures. and if men actually treated women, as the bible says to treat them, we would actually be treated better then males-as fragile vessels.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2013 :  10:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Nini: Coming from the older generation (I'm 70) I grew up wearing dresses for everything because we were not allowed to wear slacks or jeans. I have also been an interpreter in historic settings wearing really old-style clothing and I agree. Dresses are cool (literally and figuratively). But in our Minnesota winters I will wear my warmest jeans with long underwear. It's a matter of comfort. (lol)

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2013 :  05:27:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini, this gives me one more reason to wear skirts and dresses. Sometimes, I feel that I am the only one who enjoys wearing a dress.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #2301

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  1:55:50 PM  Show Profile
I like wearing skirts and knit tops. Comfy, feminine and pretty :) .
Much easier to find the right fit than with jeans!

http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  9:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Dresses and skirts are my favorite too. They are all I wear in the summer, but in the winter I do not know what kind of shoes to put with them to keep my feet warm. So I find soft pants. As you mentioned, I do not like something that is too tight around my middle. And lots of the jeans now are so low cut in the waist, I feel like they are falling down all day!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  10:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Boots look good with most skirts/dresses-like Dansko and Easy Spirit I think both have some pretty good ones. And well some Justin boots and a few others are right down cute. I also wear a lot of dansko mary janes. (winter shoes)

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  01:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Good post! Gynecologists recommend wearing skirts or dresses rather than jeans (especially tight ones) for reasons I hope are obvious. Ahem.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, um...yesterday I had to take my son to get his haircut (he doesn't like the "Mom Special" anymore, now that he's a teenager, so he pays for his haircuts himself). I was sitting right near the register and caught quite a few pairs of unflattering jeans being sported by a few of the clients. It's as if they never looked at their backside in a mirror, let alone at any part of themselves from the waist down. Not good. As a matter of fact, one younger woman who most obviously thought her jeans were attractive and comfortable, got up from her seat to go to the barber's chair, took her coat off, and I kid you not - at least SEVEN inches of butt cheek and butt crack were popping out over her waistband! I was mortified, and discreetly looked away as if I hadn't noticed anything. I felt so bad for her - she didn't even seem to care, and just strode right off to the chair as if she were the Queen of the Shop, never pulling them up. Horrifying. She HAD to have felt the draft! Is that the new fashion or something? Eghads! And I thought the boys wearing their jeans hanging down about their waist, showing only their boxers, was bad!!! I guess a lot of people are just swayed by the dictates of society as to what we are to wear and how we should wear it. I am no fashion plate, but, then again, that's not my goal. If it WERE my goal, I'd definitely be a lot more careful about the fashionable clothing I covered my hiney with, that's for sure - especially out in public. Please don't think I am being catty - far from it! I'm all for jeans, and I'm all for people wearing what they're comfortable wearing, believe me; but EGHADS we should take a 360 degree look in the mirror a little more often. Just because it's "supposed" to look good on a body, doesn't necessarily mean it is!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, girls! Please keep them coming! Like you said, Nancy - it's so good to know that I'm not alone! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2013 :  12:13:07 PM  Show Profile
yeah I notice a LOT of woman butt crack now a days. It used to be a male epidemic, but not any more!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Wearing Dresses Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page