Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Buying Organic at the Grocery Store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Buying Organic at the Grocery Store Next Topic
Page: of 2

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
There is a certain brand that our commisary carrys almost exclusively and my husband laughs when I call it organic junk food. It's good to know I am not the only one thinking this way. I must confess that I love chocolate, but it is a treat not a staple.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  12:33:01 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have a huge hang up w/ the word organic

correct me if I'm wrong, but if it can be composted isn't it considered "organic". I'm very wary of Wal Mart jumping on the band wagon, however pleased to see the prisec for this stuff becoming more competitive.

I'd rather labels start to read pesticide free nad get a little more specific

We had a smaller chain gorcery store that had a small pocket of this kind of stuff a few years ago. that and the monthly runs to Whole Foods and Earth Fare kept us going. Now I can almost find this stuff locally...everyting except my almond milk. I can still get this from the smaller independent grocer who sells all wholistic and locally grown pesticide free fruits/veggies and homemade bread!

Guess the key to this issue is keep reading to stay educated

p.s. our neighbor down the road sells her stuff pesticide free including chickens. In another week, her chickens will go to the CO OP for butchering. We just happen to have 5 roosters I can't bear to butcher myself and hubby doesn't want to be bothered, so we'll have chickes I raised myself! And yes, they are truely free range, AND pesticide/hormone free. and allowed to mature at their own rate.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  12:47:22 PM  Show Profile
I stay away from the big box stores whenever I can. For food purchases, in the summer we make weekly trips to the farmer's market, and there is a small independent natural grocery that we get most of our dry goods and such from. We do have to go to chain groceries for some items, and we usually choose Whole Foods, but do shop at Dominick's occassionally because they're right around the corner from our house. We usually go there for "emergency" stuff when I realize I've run out of something I need right at that moment. With planning we can usually avoid it. Yes, organic costs more (true cost of human-powered labor and paying a living wage to the farmer) but we think it's a good cause to spend the money on. We never scrimp on food costs. Also, since we've switched to a mostly organic and local diet, our health (and our consciouses) has improved. And you can't beat that.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  2:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
We do have to live in the world we are in. I rarely shop at walmart any more. I would rather spend my dollars, even if it's a few more, supporting local smaller businesses. I do think it's great that some companies such as Earthbound are trying to make some changes. Having grown up on a farm in agriculture I know how hard it is for local small time farmers to make a living. When we as consumers start demanding better products, they will come.

With my first comment, we have wandered a long way from the days when everyone grew their own food. You still have to really look at the ingredients and where the food is from though. I find it hard to even make myself go to the grocery store at times, I pysch myself out thinking about how things were produced and where they came from and how long they have sit on the shelf. ewwww

I can hardly wait until it gets warm enough to start gardening as I am going to grow as much of everything we need as posssible. And hopefully if everything goes right I'm going to sell my extra at farmers market. So anytime now it can stop snowing!!!!!! lol

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Feb 17 2007 2:11:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  7:15:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Annab

My husband and I have a huge hang up w/ the word organic

correct me if I'm wrong, but if it can be composted isn't it considered "organic".

You are right. Even things that can't be composted, such as rocks, are organic. Sand is organic. Natural minerals are organic.

quote:

I'd rather labels start to read pesticide free nad get a little more specific

Organic growers can and do use natural pesticides so this wouldn't be adequate labeling.
quote:

p.s. our neighbor down the road sells her stuff pesticide free including chickens. In another week, her chickens will go to the CO OP for butchering. We just happen to have 5 roosters I can't bear to butcher myself and hubby doesn't want to be bothered, so we'll have chickes I raised myself! And yes, they are truely free range, AND pesticide/hormone free. and allowed to mature at their own rate.

Poultry isn't raised on hormones in the US. It's illegal. Pesticides aren't bad if they're safe. I'd rather use DE or something similar on my birds than allow lice, worms or other pests.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  9:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I guess if it once was "alive" or any componant of it was "alive", its organic. LOL.
I have to say that my hubby swears organic bananas taste better and I think he's right.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile
We try our best. It's a bit hard here in the middle of the Mojave at times. This weekend we stopped by WHole Foods in San Diego and HOLY COW we could not afford to shop there for everything on a military budget!!! Dr. Jordan Ruben says in the Maker's Diet to focus on the meat/eggs and buy the best produce you can for those of us who are budget strapped! & pray for God to provide!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  06:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Holly, doesn't your commisary have a organic section? Ours is very limited, but is enough to maintain the Maker's Diet on a military budget. Since local is very scarce this time of year; I buy organic milk, eggs, meat, and some veggies at the commisary. With a little creativity we can eat rather well. I use more fermented grains and beans (purchased in bulk-special order-from the health food store)than Dr. Ruben recomends, but we are still far healthier than we were before.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile
The commisary is starting to carry more and more organic label stuff but we can't get good local anything. Our produce is pitiful (been told it's 2nds from the LA farmers market)and there's no organic meat that's reasonable. They used to carry NatureWell which wasn't "organic" but was pesticide/hormone/antibiotic free ground beef for like $4.30 or so for two lbs - now they carry organic but it's $5.00 or more per lb.

Right now we are buying organic/raw milk from Organic Pastures (comes frozen via ups) and other items at the commisary. If we are in big town (2-3 hours away) and there's a Trader Joes sometimes we stop there. Right now I haven't been able to afford the organic beef - plus the commisary has such small portions for a family of 6 (two of which are boys who are ALWAYS hungry)! We don't even have the option of a good co-op that will deliver and the farmer's market is two hours away on Thursday mornings (not a good day). Whole Foods Market was beautiful but $$$! I want to learn to garden but the Mojave's not easy and I've killed lots of stuff.

I am really looking forward to our move to KS food wise!

Holly

ps -- I know it may sound hokey to some but truly when I have prayed for the Lord to provide food sources He has! Even here with the milk - it's in Fresno so never spoiled, in Germany we found a wonderful family that we bought raw goats milk from for two years and a miller who sold bulk grains.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Feb 21 2007 08:12:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  08:34:37 AM  Show Profile
Holly, hope you enjoyed your trip to San Diego! I agree with you about Whole Foods; I can't afford to shop there (plus it is way too far for me). There is a company called Jaffe Brothers www.organicfruitsandnuts.com who sell organic dried fruits, nuts, grains, seasonings, etc. They ship! They are limited, but everything I've ever gotten from there has been great and, I think, reasonable in price. And I'm so glad your prayers for good food have been answered; it works!
Thanks to whomever it was for posting the Pollan article. A friend had sent it to me. What an eye opener. Also, we should all read Jane Goodall's Harvest for Hope. Wonderful book.

You ladies are all very insightful :)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  08:39:20 AM  Show Profile
All of this makes my head spin really. I love all of the wonderful information that you all have posted here. It is such a worthwhile debate to have and the perfect forum. I have a couple of points/questions...

I buy produce locally during the summer months when our farmer's market is open June-October. But what about the winter months. I put up what I can (strawberries, tomatoes, rasperries, etc.) and can buy eggs, honey, meat locally year round. But what do you all do during the winter for produce? I mean lettuce doesnt really freeze well.

Secondly, I chatted with my grandfather about this topic this morning. He and my family had a Peach Orchard for years in Texas. He said that he tried to use as few pesticides as he could, but if there is a worm or a blight of some sort that is threatening to ruin your crop, he feels that pesticides are absolutely necessary. He always tried to farm the safest way possible, but he said if it weren't for 7 dust and others, he would have gone out of business. So, what are your thoughts on this?

I have been thinking about this very topic for quite some time and still trying to sort it out, so I would appreciate any thoughts and I will continue to read. Thank you so much for all of the info.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  06:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I cannot bring myself to pay the prices asked for organic greens, so I grow my own in the summer and use sprouts in the winter. This winter I grew a couple months worth of greens in the picture window and they did very well until it got cold (we heat with wood and the room with the window gets rather cold at night, not to mention that our windows are aweful!)

'
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  1:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Lorij,
I understand the need to buy what and where you can affort, but a bit of advice. Call around to your little mom and pop pharmacies, they may be cheaper than walmart. My mama gets her medications at one in our little town and saves almost half over walmart.

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  07:40:07 AM  Show Profile
Holly...the joke about Whole Foods is Whole Foods=Whole Paycheck. They are really expensive compared to shopping at a natural food co-op. The Twin Cities has a few really good ones, Mississippi Market (I HEART MM...still a memeber even way the heck up here, though I only shop there three or four times a year anymore, it's simple too far), and the Wedge. Great places!

One thing that bugs me about Whole Foods, and Catherine may have heard this recently on NPR as well, they are really turning big box like. They are acquiring Wild Oats and just becoming HUGE. Whole Foods already has some 100+ stores across the country, Canada and the UK and they are going to get I think it was 130+ more with acquiring Wild Oats.

I stick by what I said in previous posts, while it may have been grown organically, which is great, if it comes from half way across the country it is not organic in my purist opinion. I DO buy organic labeled foods at the grocery, simply because I know there will be no chemicals, but to me it is only organically labeled, and becuase it did not come from within lets say 50 miles of it's sale point, to me it simply isn't organic. Sadly, Whole Foods more often than not, ships most things from far off...

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  11:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Tasha,
I am sure glad that you clarified what you ment by "if it's not local, it's not organic." Here I thought you were managing to live compleatly on localy grown organic food and I was feeling desperately lacking.

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Buying Organic at the Grocery Store Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page