Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Buying Organic at the Grocery Store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Buying Organic at the Grocery Store Next Topic
Page: of 2

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm curious about what you all think of the "organic" products offered at the grocery store. I would love to buy organic local stuff and do when I can there just isn't much available in my area. I have recently seen an influx of thses "organic" products in Wal-mart. Even prego has an organic pasta sauce. How sure can I be that these are actually organic and is the extra cost really worth it on items like these? I would spend more for fresh tomatoes grown locally but I'm just not sure if I should spot the extra pennies(or dollars!) on some of these products. I've read lables and all are "certified" by different organizations that I am just unfamiliar with. Any thoughts or wisdom would be appreciated!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  5:41:29 PM  Show Profile
I generally only buy organic if it is local. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to that and Prego just isn't organic imho, even if they grow thier stuff organically, I am so glad about that, but if it travelled half way across the o[censored]ry to get to my plate, it is no longer organic.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  03:21:32 AM  Show Profile
I buy organic at the grocery stores. I do go to the health food store regularly as well as an organic market which is an hour away, doesn't carry everything, and only open a few days/week. I always check out the organic stuff at the grocery stores and stock up on sales--things I can't get elsewhere, especially. I want to support their efforts to offer the organic. There's no perfect solution, at least where I live.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  04:57:14 AM  Show Profile

LONG ANSWER ALERT!!!

Julie what a wonderful issue you have raised! Thank you for doing so.. What you are sensing is what I like to call "questionable- corporate-organic-industrial-ag-business. The organic market is a billion dollar or more enterprise and huge corporations certainly wouldn't want to miss out..not to mention the fact that it makes them appear more conscientious to their consumers. Remember that the bottom line for a capitalistic corporation is money. Period, end of story.
There is much to learn and understand in this arena and I am anything but an expert here. But here's my 2 cents:
Is organic better than conventional? That ought to be an easy yes/no answer but it turns out it isn't. The truth, from my vantage is that the answer is yes and no. It depends on what kind of organic you are talking about. If you are talking about industrialized organics; things like Prego, Earthbound, Horizon, Rosie Poultry and such then the question you have to consider as the consumer is this; How organic is really organic? Say you have a chicken raised in an industrial manner, ie 20,000 chickens per housing unit but not caged and able to move freely, allowed access to the outside via a door they never use, and fed only certified organic grain and slaughtered after about 57 days (slaughtering when they're young like this keeps the rate of infection down and hence minimal need for antibiotics) and then shipped all over the US using copious amounts of fossil fuel to get to your dining room table. How organic is this? However, take the alternative the conventional chicken who is fed not only copious amounts of antibiotics but steriods and other growth enhancers as well as specialized grain (often the innards of other chickens mixed with vitamins, corn and other grains compressed into nuggets, is never allowed to be outside, is often penned with other chickens in cages so small they don't move and have to have their beaks removed and is then slaughtered in God knows what kind of fashion and once again shipped all over the US to get to your dining room table. How appetizing is this? Remember that Tyson is one of the leading chicken processors in the world.. a mega corporation controlling so much more than I can even wrap my head around.
This is the choice most consumers face. Is organic better when considering these 2 scenerios? Perhaps slightly yes. Given these 2 choices I would go with the smaller organic corporation who is at least trying to do the right thing, if not making some kind of improvement.
This is the problem with big corporate organic producers..They have the facade that they are like small family farms, which is just not the case.
Take for instance Earthbound produce..the leading producer of all organic lettuces in the US.. They are an amazing story. They are fully industrialized and do all kinds of things to help offset that reality...use biodiesel, have tree planting campaigns and so forth.. Still their products travel all over the place using up all kinds of precious fuel...you have to decide. Is conventional versus their organic product better or worse? In this case, their organic product will probably always be superior if you don't factor in the travel of the product. It is safer, highly regulated, well-maintained, and backed by people with some sense of integrity.
Horizon is a big organic producer popping up all over the place. They are a single family owned corporation who has been able to afford paying fines for not staying in compliance with USDA regulations versus making the necessary changes to stay within those guidelines. Is that better? I think not. However, when comparing the organic industrial dairy industry versus the conventional one there exists a margin of improvement.. Organic implies no hormones, more appropriate feed, no steriods etc. Incidentally, many of the organic products that you see in the grocery stores like Safeway are actually subsets of these giant corporations. So for example, Horizon owns the organic label for Safeway's "O" products...
I prefer Organic Valley products because my understanding is that they are a cooperative corportation, which means that they have hundreds of family farms all over the US contributing to the mass. They are not handful of huge industrial sized (50,000 cows) dairy farms providing dairy products.
In the case of Prego, you have to wonder what is it about the product that is organic exactly? Is it just the tomatoes and few other ingredients mixed with some very non-organic type flavorings and preservatives? I don't know.. I don't even look at that product.
Interestingly, I was reading the label of Annies All Natural Macaroni and Cheese just today..Not the organic box but one of the others and the ingredients section read something like: BEST INGREDIENTS and listed off all the good wholesome stuff. However, they obviously do not have to include any of the other sugars, corn byproducts, flavorings and so forth. They're organic product listed it all and was a good dollar more per box. What did I purchase? The organic product..is it a staple in my home? nope..but my kids love it when they eat it, that's for sure.

I really liked what Tasha was alluding to in terms of buying locally, especially buying organic locally.. As far as I'm concerned this by and large is the best way to go. Find out if you can where there are some local producers for even just a few things like salad fixings, chickens, fruit, etc... You may have to make the effort to travel a little but I guarantee you it will use up much less fossil fuel in the long run and you'll be buying fresher food than you could possibly get anywhere else. Gee, what a hassle! Yep, but for those of us interested in food and the health of our food and families, is it really that much of an inconvenience to seek out better food sources?
Farmer's Markets are an exceptional way to meet local farmers (usually people who have farms less than a day's travel away, which is far better than food needing to travelling halfway across the US). You can meet them, get to know them and really understand what it is they are doing.
I, like Tasha, am becoming a bit of a purist and have the added luxury of being able to grow most of what we are consuming here on our farm. Still, when I do shop, I shop at locally owned stores almost exclusively and I buy organic seasonal food.
I don't shop at Wal-mart and I'm so sad when I hear that that store is the only option for many people in their communities. I keep coming back to, it can't be the only option but in some cases it really is and I find that heart-breaking. Wal-Mart is only about the bottom line and not about the patrons who feel that have no other choice but to shop there. Such a sad "success" they are..My in-laws in Kansas have basically seen all the family owned businesses die one by one because of the infiltration of Wal-Mart and now a Super Wal-Mart in their community. The last family owned grocery store just closed this year. I find that so horrific that it makes me never want to enter a Wal-mart, so I don't.
So, Julie back to your question...should you spot the pennies for some of the organic stuff being offered at Wal-Mart? I would certainly encourage you to try them once in a while and taste test. However, if I were in your shoes and Wal-Mart was one of the only options around.. I'd probably be on the internet researching alternative communities within a half day's drive of my place...seriously. Is there a major city nearby where once a month I could make a trek and purchase some really high quality food that I could keep in my pantry and freezer?
I suppose when you peel back enough layers the question boils down to, what kind of effort and energy do I want to put forth to have the healthiest food possible for me and my family? Only you can answer that one. Before I finish this thesis.. I'll add that MarJane's products are totally worth checking out and keeping stocked in your cupboards. Fully certified organic and delicious..worth every penny!
There you have it...the wee hours of the morning ramblings of a pregnant woman with pregnancy induced insomnia! cheers...
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  04:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Our newspaper had an article yesterday about the organic foods that are becoming very popular at chain food stores. Organic is gaining power in the marketplace. There is a numbering system that tells you if food is organic, natural, or altered in any way. If it is organic, that number begins with a 9. I think the entire number is about 6 digits long. Now I wish I had kept the paper so I could quote the article, but maybe this can take you far enough to learn more.

I buy organic at the grocery store because I figure it is probably better than non-organic. It depends on the product, but there will be fewer (if any) preservatives, and if you read the ingredients, you will see better ingredient choices have been used, too, like sea salt and olive oil.

Peace

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 10 2006 04:59:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  06:02:37 AM  Show Profile
a little off topic here, but, I am wondering why country was censored in my first post.....weird.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  06:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Julia, that was an amazing and very informative post...I don't think I could have said the same ideas that were running through my head quite as well.

I think the government regulations on what organic should be just aren't good enough so I can't bring myself to buy organic in a regular grocery store if I've got a better alternative. I do understand that some don't have another alternative so at this time the grocery store organic is their best option. I wish that things were as they used to be and everyone had the availability of local purchasing on every product they needed...what a life that'd be! Or that family farmers could still produce, process, package and sell everything on their farm locally but unfortunately it doesn't work that way for all of them.

My fear with the grocery store organic becoming so popular is that our government sees that and says "People are buying it all up so what's the sense in making changes to the regulations.". Who knows though...all this governmental stuff is just nuts anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  08:43:40 AM  Show Profile
The only Organic I truly "believe in" is what I have grown or a local farmer I know has grown. ORGANIC is a big seller, to companies it is a big "buy ME" label.

Here is a link to a post a while back
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4101&SearchTerms=organic

After I had bought the organic Israel tomatoes, it really opened my eyes!
I would rather save my $$. If I am going to buy grocery “junk” I usually use a coupon to get the best buy for my money (sometimes almost free). I would truly rather spend the $$ on things I know have been grown locally and to the best standards of the family farm. This doesn’t always mean “organic”. A lot of small farms can not afford to be labeled organic.

I really ignore the big hype of Organic, in my opinion it is becoming just another marketing strategy for the big companies. Organic just isn’t what it used to be…………

I just feed my family the best that I can with the budget I create!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  09:14:39 AM  Show Profile
The biggest problem I have is lack of resources. My local grocery store is Walmart - unfortunatly. We have a small town grocery but the selection is awful and prices are REALLY high. I prefer to grow my own but was unable to plant a garden this year. There is a "farmers market" in town but I honestly think they go to Sam's and buy the stuff in bulk and them resell it. I really dont believe any of it is local. The lettuce is wrapped in plastic!!!

My biggest question is weather these "organic" products have less pestcdes and antibiotics etc. My husband and I are trying to make a change to a more natural way of living. I'd like to be rid of these harmful substances and stuff but it is jst difficult. Most of the farming around here is soybeans and very few "garden variety" farms.

I guess I just need to look on a wider scope. I am still trying to buy local even if it is not organic.

Thanks for all your responses!

Tasha - I can't believe you put that DIRTY WORD in your response! HEEHEE!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  09:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Michael Pollan is a writer for the New York Times, this is a frequent subject for him...

He discusses many of the themes you all are talking about in this article, esp. Wal Mart and Organic and what that means for the rest of us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/04/magazine/04wwln_lede.html?ei=5088&en=07310c42ac1a390c&ex=1307073600&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1160497286-N/pCkXOKXghST2028gLD3g

Also, on the subject of organic vs. local and which is "better" if you have to make a choice, the OSU extension office said at the Farm Science review last month that their consumer research studies indicate that locally-produced is going to be "bigger" from a marketing standpoint than "organic" for the next few years.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 10 2006 09:27:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  09:49:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That kind of makes you think twice! I have a few organic things at home. I am just gonna have to research the individual companies I guess!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Brenda,
That is a great article!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  11:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, that's a very interesting article. I'll expect Wal-Mart to have organic lettuce from China... However, I do try not to shop there, and I do have choices. Thursday our local Giant closes, due to being next to a super Wal-Mart. The whole thing is maddening. Thanks for the information!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  7:11:49 PM  Show Profile
I have been trying to stay out of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club since I found that the Walton family supports a lot of political causes with their mega-bucks that I am not in agreement with. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1022-01.htm So far I have had only one late-night trip to get an ink cartridge since January, and if I had planned ahead I could have avoided even that purchase.

I find that I can survive very well without them! If I want bulk foods like flour or sugar I go to Gordon's Food Service or the Amish bulk food store - the locally-owned grocer is where I buy milk and cereal, and I have been supplementing my garden-grown produce with farmer's market foods and organic eggs. I bought a quarter cow (organic, grass-fed, locally processed) to fill my freezer. Now all I need is somewhere to buy organic pork and chicken.

I heard (on NPR, I think) that Wal-Mart is scared to death of the little dollar stores - baby-boomers like me don't like shopping in the big box stores anyway, our arthritic knees can't take so much walking, I guess. I do appreciate parking closer at the local grocer as opposed to waaaaaay the heck out in the back of the lot at Wal-Mart. Unfortunately I hear they are closing the store when their lease is up early next year because the new Super-WalMart is across the street and they don't feel they can compete.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 10 2006 7:17:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  11:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Also not a fan of Wal-mart. I do buy organic and also buy local but I live in California and am fortunate to have the freshest produce available and wonderful health food markets. I live in the Monterey area where most of the countries strawberries, artichokes, lettuce, etc.. is grown. I will tell you it is appalling to watch them repeatedly spray the fields with pesticides in the conventionally grown fields. It always amazes me the amount of protective gear the pesticide sprayers wear (head to toe covering with huge masks) and they put out skull and crossbone signs after- yet it's okay for the public to eat that same sprayed produce??? Yes, I'm neurotic about buying organic but I see how the conventional is grown here everyday.
Manda
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  12:09:36 AM  Show Profile
More and more I don't think we can be too neurotic. A school friend of my mother's farmed wheat in Saskatchewan. I don't remember the specifics in acreage, but I remember her telling my mom that their chemical (herbicide, pesticide) bill was in excess of $75,000 per year. I used the past tense in "farmed" as she sadly died of liver cancer a couple years ago. You can draw your own conclusions.
Am I paranoid? You bet I am.
Di
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  04:22:10 AM  Show Profile
The scariest part of all about big stores like WalMart and others getting into the "organic" marketing concept is this paragraph from the Pollan article:

"Up to now, the federal organic standards have provided a bulwark against that pressure. Yet with the industrialization of organic, these rules are themselves coming under mounting pressure, and forgive my skepticism, but it's hard to believe that the lobbyists from Wal-Mart are going to play a constructive role in defending those standards from efforts to weaken them. Just this past year the Organic Trade Association used lobbyists who do work for Kraft Foods to move a bill through Congress that will make it easier to include synthetic ingredients in products labeled organic.

Organic is just a word, after all, and its definition now lies in the hands of the federal government, which means it is subject to all the usual political and economic forces at play in Washington. Inevitably, the drive to produce organic food cheaply will bring pressure to further weaken the regulations, and some of K Street's finest talent will soon be on the case. A few years ago a chicken producer in Georgia named Fieldale Farms persuaded its congressman to slip a helpful provision into an appropriations bill that would allow growers of organic chicken to substitute conventional chicken feed if the price of organic feed exceeded a certain level. That certainly makes life easier for a chicken producer when the price of organic corn is north of $5 a bushel, as it is today, and conventional corn south of $2. But in what sense is a chicken fed on conventional feed still organic? In no sense but the Orwellian one: because the government says it is."

If the word organic ceases to mean what we have come to expect, how will we as consumers be able to distinguish between organically grown food and "real" food?

The pressures that Wal-Mart exerts on government and its suppliers pretty much allow it to have its own way, which means increasing pressure on farmers to achieve economies of scale by going bigger and mechanizing. I don't see this as a good thing. Funny it is exactly what Rodale was predicting back in the early 70's.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  04:31:06 AM  Show Profile
Tasha - my only guess is the word country in your post was accidentally misspelled!

In all of this great discussion, the big picture I see is that people are caring a lot more about what is actually in and sprayed onto their food, and that is a good thing for the population as a whole. If the market demands better quality, it will happen. Let's hope that the large companies that are getting on the bandwagon really improve their food quality and do not just market "organic and natural" to raise prices!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

karlanee
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:32:37 AM  Show Profile
Here in Oklahoma we have a wonderful coop, similar to other states. Not everything they sell is organic, but a large majority of it is. I do feel wonderful when I'm able to buy organic, LOCAL products. And I tend to be like one commenter above that said if it's not local, you almost feel like you're not really getting organic.

I know a lot of areas around the country have coops and also there is a growing movement for community sustainable agriculture programs. This is where local farmers will sell shares for a fee each month. Then each month you get a box of produce. It's kind of like investing in the local farm.

The best place to find local resources is http://www.localharvest.org/
Go to Top of Page

karlanee
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

8 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  09:37:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Manda. I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart either. The bad thing about big chains getting involved in the organic market is the likelihood of the requirements being laxed more and more as they already are. And one other person I think mentioned - it's just no longer truly organic.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  10:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Well girls...where do I start?...For those of you that are not familiar where I live, and what crop is the predominant one, I live on Prince Edward Island the smallest province in all of Canada...our main export is potatoes...and with those potatoes come vast amounts of pesticides and chemicals...the population of this province is 135,000 people..of these residents 13% die each year of cancer...hhmmmmm...quite a high amount considering that there aren't many people that live here....anyway....I'm rambling a bit..let me try to sum up and put a few pointers down.....there is a fabulous scientist David Suzuki that has a great challenge...the "30 buy local only" challenge....(organic if possible) it is fun to try and source out local products, maybe get off the beaten path and find some local growers!!!
My other thing is organic is great, but the line is getting vague (as some of you have already mentioned) we try to buy "fair trade organic" when it comes to sugar, coffee and chocolate...this ensures that the farmers that grew/harvested these products are given the fairest price/wage and no one is taken advantage of.............hope this all makes sense....great dialogue from all of you...we certainly need to keep our eyes open!!! cheers, Mella

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  11:31:34 AM  Show Profile
Let me start by saying I only believe about half of what I read (depending on the source), but I did read an article in a Vancouver newspaper last year that said most commercially grown potatoes have such a high concentration of pesticides, that they almost could be classified as a pesticide themselves.
Melanie - 13% ??? When will the powers that be ever wake up, that is criminal.
David Suzuki is brilliant and his foundation is one of a very few I will donate to.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  07:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I think that on one hand this whole topic could be boiled down to local is best, but comercial organic is still better than conventional. But it's really not an easy topic. For example, I am a coffee freak. My kids know that if they want me out of bed before the 5 am alarm, they had better start the coffee going before they come in with a request. Coffee does not grown in the states, it has to be imported from Central/South America or Africa, so buying local is not an option. Since conventional grown coffee is one of the heaviest sprayed crops (along with bananas, grapes, berries, and potatoes) and the farming methods used are AWEFUL, I purchase fair trade organic coffee beans. Tomatoes, peaches, summer squash, greens, strawberries, pumpkins, sweet potatoes and watermelon grow quite well here and I buy them local in season (if I don't have enough of my own) and usualy go with out in the off season. I buy organic white milling wheat by the 50 lb bucket from Montana and have no problem with that since wheat does not grow in my area and as I grew up in Montana it's a little taste of home. I also buy some of MJ's products which deffinately are not local, but I feel good about eating them since they are from a small family run operation that is commited to the quality of their product.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  08:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Karlanee,

I just wanted to say "thanyou" for the link. I am finding many resources about 1-2 hours from my area.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:04:32 AM  Show Profile
This is a difficult question.

I know there is concern among organic producers in finding enough suppliers. So they're having to go overseas to find growers and suppliers. Since local regulations don't have the same structure as ours for what is organic and what isn't, they have to send company representatives to see to it that their standards are being met. It's a dance with the devil, and they acknowledge that. There was an interesting article about it, the cover story for the October 16th issue of Business Week. People want it, but supplying it is another matter.

I know for many people it's hard to reconcile the word 'organic' with something that's shipped from halfway around the world. I understand that. But I do believe that offering consumers a choice in Walmart, right up there next to the commercially raised spaghetti sauce, is a step forward. You don't have to buy it; perhaps you have access to your own home grown, or to high quality local stuff. But not everyone is like you.

What about city people, people in dense populations who have no access to growing spaces, or people whose lives or careers demand so much of their time that they can't do as you do? Can't they have something nice too? Or should they have to have commercially raised stuff because purists don't think of stuff grown without pesticides or herbicides on clean soil but is trucked for long distances is 'organic?'

Bring it to the mass market. Apply mass market criteria for freshness and quality. Everyone benefits when the distinctions are made. Shoot, I'm old enough to remember a time when the only people who ate yogurt were hippies. Vegetarian fare? Tofu? Forget it. Now it's in your supermarket! I'll agree that the formula's been messed with, but people aren't going to switch easily from their Trix in the morning without something being similar. In time, many move on to more healthful fare. And even if they don't, it's better than what they had.

Will the world be cleaner with the advent of more organic mega-farming networks? Or dirtier? Could it be possible that when the pressures of fuel costs come to bear, that people will rework the networking for more local produce? I think that'll happen to some degree, but we Americans tend to be spoiled in wanting summer fruits in winter, and tropical fruits where they don't grow. When's the last time you ate a banana? They don't grow here.

It's a process. An evolution. And IMO, it's headed in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  11:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Okay, this was funny.

I just got back from Walmart. I had to pick up a few things. And what did I see on the shelves??? Kraft ORGANIC Macaroni and Cheese. I burst out laughing in the store and had to hush so it wouldn't look any worse than it already was. Yeppers, there was that magical blue and white box with the tubes of pasta and cheese flavored orange glue all over it, ORGANIC. It's like organic Twinkies or something, a true oxymoron.

I bought a box to show my hubby. This is too funny.

And for those that don't see the humor, just go into most any "health food" store and look a the so-called healthy junk there. Potato chips, dried bananas, "yogurt" covered raisins, etc. It's junk too; it just doesn't have the additives, preservatives, pesticides, etc.

My son in law razzes me about what I consider junk and what I consider healthy, but I tell him that just because your body can digest it doesn't mean it's food.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Buying Organic at the Grocery Store Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page