Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What do you think of this????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What do you think of this???? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  08:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, of course I see her point. It must be so frustrating to have to teach a bunch of kids and deal with all of the parents. It doesn't change anything. The whole focus of the program was wrong. You still did the right thing. Perhaps you could print the newspaper address and we could all send our own letters to the paper. I'd be willing to write. She is lucky this didn't go viral, and forgotten who pays for her job. Please keep us posted, Arttie. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2012 :  2:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Joey, I'm glad you wrote something respecting how frustrating it can be for teachers to have to suffer slings and arrows from all quarters. I taught for just one year because our school system needed someone to step in and rescue a vocational class in my professional field and it darn near killed me. But this teacher was out of line on more than one level, and not even because of anything religious. Without knowing more about her, I'd say she has a flawed understanding of early childhood development. This program was inappropriate to the social skills and understanding of second graders.

I read one reader's response to the music teacher's letter to the editor of the Iron Mountain community newspaper. Good for her!

It still troubles me, though, that there was even a religious (Christian, in this case) program in a public school supported by taxpayers representing a wide spectrum of religious beliefs. While that might not matter much in a community that's 100% Christmas-observant Christians, it really does mess with the First Amendment's "establishment clause," as repeatedly defined by the Supreme Court to include a prohibition on federal or state governments promoting one religion over any other. This makes it more difficult for other US communities to preserve their right to retain control of their children's religious training, without government interference. That this was theoretically a secular themed event, in fact it was Christmas-based. On that score alone, it should never have been approved by the school system.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2012 :  06:21:05 AM  Show Profile
It just isn't appropriate to have a program at school at this time of the year. Change it to a Fall or Spring program, something about nature, sustainability, recycling ... Times have changed and a Christmas program that is being called a Winter program doesn't fool anyone.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What do you think of this???? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page