Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What do you think of this????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What do you think of this???? Next Topic
Page: of 2

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  04:25:18 AM  Show Profile
We send our children to public schools. We live in a small town and everyone knows everyone. The teacher of our 2nd grader has chosen 'parody' songs for the kids to sing at the Christmas program. They are sang to song such as "She'll be coming Round the Mountain" and " O Christmas Tree".

But the lyrics are all about Partying, Shopping, Mastercarding xmas, and demeaning a 'not-so-perfect' xmas tree.

We are appalled, so say the least. We are thinking about taking our daughter out of the program. She will be participating in the program at church.

We just feel this goes against everything we are teaching our kids. We teach them that Christmas is about the birth of Christ, giving to others, living within their means, and spending time with family.

I know this will be long, but I am going to copy and paste the lyrics to one of the songs. Tell me what you think.

Arttie

Over the freeway and to the mall
A shopping we will go.
Get out of the way, I haven’t all day,
But I have lots of dough. Oh!
To buy a load of stuff.
It’s understood my check is good.
I just can’t get enough.

For Christmas time is here.
The carolers sing, cash registers ring,
My credit card is clear!
We’re over the freeway and to the mall,
I never wonder why,
It’s not a joke, I’m going broke,
There is so much to buy!

Why don’t you come along?
We’re gonna shop until we drop.
With us you can’t go wrong. Oh!
We never stop to rest.
Oh what a hoot, now get the loot,
For shopping is the best!

Oh what a hoot, now get the loot,
For shopping is the best!
(shout) Gift wrapped, please. Kaching!See More

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  04:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Lyrics to theother song I am upset with:

Arttie

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Why are your needles dropping?
The mess you make is whopping!
They said you’d last ‘til New Years Day,
Now all your green has is gone away.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree
Why are your needles dropping?

Why are you always leaning?
This really is demeaning
Why can’t you stand up nice and tall?
Why must you lean against the wall?
Why are you always leaning?

You look a little haggard.
You are a fire hazard.
All though I know it’s not a joke,
Why must your limbs go up in smoke?
You are a fire hazard.

You’re limbs are really sagging.
The lower ones are dragging.
I always give your trunk a wrap,
Still on the carpet you leave sap.
Your limbs are sagging.

I guess I’m superficial.
I’m making it official.
Don’t get me wrong, I love you so,
But none the less, just so you know.
I’m going artificial!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  05:51:19 AM  Show Profile
I'd be absolutely furious, too - and I am. I find it extremely interesting how most schools do not even allow the word "Christmas" in ANY progam anymore, and yet, this one gets away with it by making fun of it, Artie. I would like to see the teacher and even Principal reprimanded for this. You cannot possibly be the only person who was shocked and offended by this, but even if you were, I absolutely believe you would be right to take this a little further. I'd call the ACLJ for sure. I'd love to hear what they would say. ALSO, I would call the ACLU just to see if they really DO protect the Constitutional civil liberties of all... Tell them YOU'RE offended... Wouldn't that be interesting to see how that one goes. What if you're offended at their public ridicule of YOUR religious holiday and celebrations? What if YOUR freedom of speech or to choose is offended, mocked or attacked? What will the ACLU do to uphold the Constitution on YOUR behalf? And I also have to wonder what other religions would put up with this? I sincerely do not believe any other religion or belief system would accept mockery of a belief or tradition they hold dear - and they certainly would not allow a public school to teach their children how funny their practices or lifestyles are. What if they mocked, for example, the Menorah or the Star and Crescent or the Pentacle or the Rainbow? Hmmm... They'd never get away with it. Ever. Nor should they. Ever.

Justice for all, baby. Justice for ALL.

Perhaps this was in fact meant to be harmless and simply funny. To me, however, it is neither. This teacher has managed to use the platform of a holiday concert to mock and attack a belief system and holiday traditions at their most sensitive core: a child's heart and mind. Furthur, it attempts to undermine the parental or familial belief system and beloved traditions in an extremely stealthy way. Shame on them. They have no right to do this to ANY child for ANY reason. It's not simply offensive, it is a form of brainwashing that takes "the shaping of a child's mind" much further than the intended simple public education. Yes, it could be seen as a funny song - humor is, however, a brilliant way to deliver a message without directly offending, isn't it? Comedians use this technique all the time! Public religious expressions - oh, I'm sorry - CHRISTIAN religious expressions - are constantly under attack, being removed and taken down because they are deemed offensive to a single individual. This is simply a different "take down" of religious expression, and a subsequent interjection of an individual teacher's personal opinions and views of such. It is, in a public school setting with young children who do not know any better or understand what they are being taught, extremely wrong, offensive and overstepping boundaries beyond belief. And people should not - but most assuredly will - look past it simply because it is "funny."

I'm so sorry that this has happened - for many reasons and on many levels. Mostly, however, because I do not believe that in our great American society - which should be an amazing, respectful melting pot of peoples and their differences - ANYONE should be belittled or felt to be of lesser intelligence, dignity or worth for ANY reason.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 04 2012 06:19:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  05:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh Arttie! I totally understand your concern. I could see a parody song in a program, IF it is a cute one, but then just one. But to do a whole program about it, I just don't get it. These songs are appalling, especially for second graders who are still filled up with Christmas magic. This is very discouraging. I would speak up at the school, if it was me. Is this teacher a very young one? The one about shopping and maxing credit cards and "good" checks, loot...it is so tacky and teaching children the wrong thing, for sure. And the tree one about being a fire hazard? Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  05:59:39 AM  Show Profile
I think this is TERRIBLE!! It offends me and my daughter is grown. I agree with my sisters above and I would talk to the school NOW. Talk about them encouraging bad values. I guess I just don 't see the humor. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  06:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank You! The teacher feels we are being too serious!. My concern is if the kids thinks it is ok. to ridicule an imperfect tree. What happens to the imperfect children around them. If a child does not have name-brand clothes or the right shoes. Or a disability. Is it ok to bully and tease them? Where does it end? Where is the line drawn?

I would like to see nice traditional cuteness.........

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  06:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Excellent points all around, Arttie... Excellent points...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  07:17:20 AM  Show Profile
OH MY! And "they" can't figure out what is wrong in the world!
That is a good example of what is wrong in this world today! So very sad that this is the way of the future!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  07:26:30 AM  Show Profile
I really feel like these songs reflect more "adult" thoughts regarding the commercialization and bustle of the holidays. These aren't the thoughts of children, especially about the magic of Christmas. My 4 year old can't stop talking about (or worrying about) all the wonderful things that go along with this season, from setting up the creche to making sure the fireplace is clean so Santa won't get soot all over his clothes :)),

I'm not sure why she chose these songs for little ones to sing. I'm sure she thought parents would get a kick out of it, but I'm a big proponent of little ones actually being little.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  07:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Jadedness and cynicism are not something that a child needs to be taught. Christmas is a magical and wonder filled time and children need to have the chance to live that. I am angry that the teacher is inflicting this cynicism on the kids, she should know better.

Hugs n' cookies =}

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile
i agree with all of the above comments- i usually consider myself somewhat liberal when it comes to Christmas and music -my own tastes are quite varied- however i truly am offended by what they are wanting to do in this program....

i worked retail many many years and still fine these offensive.....

and i agree taht it definitely sends the message that bullying, ridicule, etc. are ok...

just my 2 cents....

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  09:50:47 AM  Show Profile
The principal of the school just called me. They are removing these types of songs from the program. The entire program will be re-vamped to be more appropriate for the children. there must have been many parents calling on this topic. Because I know things don't get changed by the complaint of one parent, it takes many. Which makes me feel much better that others are raising their children in the same way.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  11:02:44 AM  Show Profile
glad to hear this news!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  1:39:16 PM  Show Profile
EXACTLY what they should do. Glad to hear it. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  2:16:45 PM  Show Profile
I agree shocking. But, I must say it's just one reason we homeschool.

PLEASE do not take this wrongly. I am NOT downing people at all who choose Public School, I went to public school myself. But, what I am about to say is just the facts. The fact is when you send your child to another person to do the teaching, no matter, how good intentioned and how lovely the person is, the simple fact is their own morals, ethics etc, are what will be imparted on to your child. The only way to change that is to school them your selves.

I myself have a lot of religious beliefs that are way out of main stream. And when I was in PS I often had to excuse myself from the activities that the teacher (even the nicest ones) chose to have us do. If you decide to public school, in my opinion there's nothing else you can really do, but excuse your child from those activities. Cause it's just too hard to please absolutely every parent in the class.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wendy Flower
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Wendy
Gladstone ND
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  2:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Those songs are very poorly chosen, and should not be used except to open up a dialog with the school as to what they are presenting. Home School is a great idea if a family can do it. I've used materials from www.oakmeadow.com/ for Home Schooling. Good luck.

Wind Farmer & Seamstress.
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile
I would love to homeschool. Our dilemma comes in that we are a blended family. And we are dealing with ex husband and ex wife. So a decision to homeschool would require many courtroom visits. So in the meantime., we do public school.

But many things about public schools make me want to build a schoolhouse on my property and keep the children close to me.

Thanks so much. Just knowing other parents agree with us is very reassuring.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  5:32:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a Christian and this offends me. The materialism of Christmas is being reinforced as normal in this program. It *is* normal for a lot of people but I don't think a school -- any school -- shows wisdom in promoting this level of cynicism about it. Older children might get a kick out of it and use it as a chance to exercise their critical thinking skills, but for kids this young? Absolutely not. This is an issue I would be tempted to take to the school board, since the teacher in question is stonewalling you. Have you talked to the principal? That would be the next step before the school board.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2012 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Yeah that is the nuts part of those songs chosen Mara. I don't celebrate xmas either. (however, I am christian). But, it seems like that is more and more the mainstreams idea of xmas-spend, spend, spend! Sad on many levels. I am sure the teacher thought they were "cute" songs though. It's just arg, so not what I would want my children to be learning. OTOH, she probably will get criticism almost about any song, from some one. lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  1:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Arttie,
Good news. I am so glad you spoke up. We really need to
to this to protect our children.
~blessings~
Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1691 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1691 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  5:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Artie, I agree with all of the above. What our sisters say. It is giving the wrong impression of Christmas and what the meaning is. Know wonder why there is bulling, etc. My children are grown. I do have a granddaughter and it is appalling to hear about that. I would cert anly talk with the school ASAP.
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7625 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7625 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2012 :  10:14:49 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad that my daughter was raised at a time when Christmas was still in the program. That has changed since she went there unfortunately but it is sad and it really ruins the meaning of the songs that were written their original way.
I agree Nini, I think that ACLJ would have taken it on if they needed to. I really think the way the ACLU is working they would have been happy to what was happening and put that as one more thing they have ruined under their belt. they go after everything they can to remove it. I am glad the school decided to remove that from the program.
I would have home schooled my daughter if I had been able to do it but I couldn't but I was there involved with her in her school in everyway I could so that she did not have the influence that she could have had. Public school does change your children alot so even if you can't home school you should be very aware what is happening in their live. People just have to make time to do that if they want them to grow up to be responsible caring adults. It is not easy raising a child but it can be done
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2012 :  04:41:59 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad to hear the program was changed. It's bad enough that the stores are open Thanksgiving, and now on Christmas afternoon as well. Kudos to the parents who stood up and voiced what they thought was inappropriate.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  12:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree
What happened to your splendor?
Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree
You're not as we remember
You can't be blamed
They should be shamed
For displaying you in September.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2012 :  5:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to comment, however, I'd probably get thrown out of here. I don't like it one bit. I'd homeschool asap!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  03:52:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, the program got changed. But the teacher is really bent out of shape over it. She wrote a scathing letter and put it in the local newspaper. She feels that parents are dictating the curriculum and telling the teachers how to teach. And that the voice of a few parents had ruined a fun program for all. And how she doesn't get paid to do the program in the evening but does it for the benifit of the working parents.

I guess I am looking forward to going to the program next week to see her attitude with the kids.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What do you think of this???? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page